Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Raheem Orr Agrees to Contract

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Texans sign seventh-round pick Orr
JOSEPH DUARTE
June 8, 2004, 11:15PM
The Texans reached an agreement with the first of their nine draft picks Tuesday, signing linebacker Raheem Orr to a three-year contract worth $960,000.

Orr, one of three players taken by the Texans in the seventh round of April's draft, received a $40,000 signing bonus. The deal includes NFL minimum base salaries of $230,000 in 2004, $305,000 in 2005 and $385,000 in 2006.

Orr (6-3, 258) played at Rutgers, where he led all Big East defensive linemen in tackles with 82 and finished with 8 1/2 sacks as a senior.

The Texans plan to shift Orr to outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme.

Houston concludes its offseason coaching session today and begins a three-day minicamp on Monday, which will be the team's final workouts before training camp begins in late July.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2617647

BuffSoldier

Veteran
DominatorDavis said:
Let's get Dunta and Babin. That will get me excited.
Now the other picks have a price to bargain against, the more people to get signed the better. And I hope we get all our rooks in for camp.

J-Man

Waterboy
Any guesses on Babs and Dunta's salary when the smoke clears?

Babs...5mil signing bonus, 4yr 15mil contract
dunta...3.5mil bonus, 5yr 22mil contract

Ediddy73

Waterboy
BuffSoldier said:
Now the other picks have a price to bargain against, the more people to get signed the better. And I hope we get all our rooks in for camp.
not much to bargain against at all. The money is already slotted, all of the semantics only lies in the lenght of contract and signing bonus. there is no barganing, Mr. Poston.

Ediddy73

Waterboy
J-Man said:

Babin (why you folks insist on calling a grown man Babs) getting a 5 million dollar bonus is laughable, but ignorance is bliss I guess. Larry Johnson, last years #27 overall, has a total contract worth approximately 5.287 million, you would have to be a fool to pay Babin 4 times what the guy in his slot last year made for a contract that is 3 years shorter :crazy: :dontknowa . Put down the controller and back away from the Madden 2004....I will not edit, I did not factor in the signing bonus, thanks Cak

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
J-Man said:

I think those numbers a little high. Last year's #10 got a max potential $15 mil contract--don't see #27 getting it this year. Look for deals around $16.5 for Dunta and $9.7 for Babin, i.e. about a 10% increase from last year.

From last year:

Terrell Suggs #10--5 year deal

The initial signing bonus for the contract is $2 million and the second-tier option bonus is $4.25 million. There is also a guaranteed minimum playing time incentive of $1.05 million. So the combined bonuses, fully guaranteed, total $7.3 million and will be paid out by the end of Suggs' second season in the league, which is a very favorable distribution schedule.

In addition, the base salary for 2003 is $1.1 million, and the base value of the contract is $10.09 million. Suggs can earn up to an additional $5 million in "escalators," which are largely based on his sack totals.
Larry Johnson #27--7 year deal, voidable upon condition to 5 years

The former Penn State star was the 27th player chosen overall, after Kansas City orchestrated a trade with Pittsburgh to drop back 12 spots in the round. The Chiefs are scheduled to report to training camp on Saturday.

The contract is worth $8.847 million and includes a signing bonus of $3.31 million. If Johnson reaches certain playing time benchmarks, the contract voids to five years and is worth $6.7 million. The signing bonus represents a 10.3 percent increase over the upfront money received by last year's 27th choice, cornerback Mike Rumph of San Francisco.

The base salaries are $452,000 (2003), $515,000 (2004), $628,000 (2005), $741,000 (2006), $854,000 (2007), $967,000 (2008) and $1.08 million (2009). There are workout bonuses of $50,000 each for 2004-2009.
Will be very surprised if the Texans sign Dunta to less than a 7 year deal and Babin to less than 5 years.

BuffSoldier

Veteran
Ediddy73 said:
not much to bargain against at all. The money is already slotted, all of the semantics only lies in the lenght of contract and signing bonus. there is no barganing, Mr. Poston.

I know that there is only a certain amount to be spent on rooks and that number is set. But usually the top draft picks wait and see how much the lower picks are signed for and their agents use that as a bargaining point. How is there money already slotted.

J-Man

Waterboy
Ediddy73 said:
Babin (why you folks insist on calling a grown man Babs) getting a 5 million dollar bonus is laughable, but ignorance is bliss I guess. Larry Johnson, last years #27 overall, has a total contract worth approximately 5.287 million, you would have to be a fool to pay Babin 4 times what the guy in his slot last year made for a contract that is 3 years shorter :crazy: :dontknowa . Put down the controller and back away from the Madden 2004....I will not edit, I did not factor in the signing bonus, thanks Cak
:rofl: wow...did know you would be so offended by me throwing out numbers just to get the discussion started! I was just pulling numbers out of the air that sounded somewhat reasonable, fully knowing that they were probably well off the mark...but thanks for pointing to me my total ignorance of the sport and our team...I guess I'll just go back to my Madden '04 now and leave the boards to you budding Mel Kiper Jr's out there!

Porky

Hall of Fame
BuffSoldier said:
I know that there is only a certain amount to be spent on rooks and that number is set. But usually the top draft picks wait and see how much the lower picks are signed for and their agents use that as a bargaining point. How is there money already slotted.

I'll disagree with your point. What a 7th rounder gets has no bearing on a first rounder. The idea that the top picks wait and see what the bottom ones get is backwards. They wait and see what the guys AHEAD of them get, and work from that point when negoitating. And, if it is a guy playing the same position, the relevance is even higher. So, with Robinson, his agent will wait until Hall signs, and with Babin, the only guy even close that I can think of would be Will Smith. But, it's a top down, not bottom up approach.

BuffSoldier

Veteran
Porky said:
I'll disagree with your point. What a 7th rounder gets has no bearing on a first rounder. The idea that the top picks wait and see what the bottom ones get is backwards. They wait and see what the guys AHEAD of them get, and work from that point when negoitating. And, if it is a guy playing the same position, the relevance is even higher. So, with Robinson, his agent will wait until Hall signs, and with Babin, the only guy even close that I can think of would be Will Smith. But, it's a top down, not bottom up approach.

Well reading about it last year, the higher picks were signed last, that is why Charles Rogers signed after AJ, and AJ after Bryant Johnson, also why Eli will probably wait to see what Rivers was offered. The lower ones waiting one the higher picks doesnt make sense, if I was the top draft pick at my position, I would wait until the lower picks at my position were signed so the team would have to give me more money than the lower picks at my position.

texasguy346

Mod Squad
It's actually a bit of both. The draft picks tend to wait as long as they can before agreeing to a contract to ensure they get the money they think they deserve. Since the team that drafted them has their rights, their only bargaining chip is to say what a player ahead or below them is making and negotiating a deal from that point.