Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Radical Idea] Quin Back to CB?

JVL713

Practice Squad
Hey guys, i've been reading TT for a while now but haven't posted much, but I'm very interested to see what you guys would think about this possible scenario.

I know this is a pretty crazy idea, and I am aware that Glover performed much better this year as a safety than he did in the past as a Corner, but I'm thinking his performance increase may have had just as much to do with maturing as a player and learning under a much better DC in Wade than it did switching positions.

Anyways, I have been looking at the top upcoming free agents, and one name stuck out to me as he has always been a favorite of mine: LaRon Landry. With Landry ending the season on the IR in two consecutive years, I think he can be signed for a lot less money than his play on the field warrants.

At first glance, I thought there was no way the Redskins would let a guy like LaRon go, but then I read this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...t-his-future/2011/12/15/gIQA8hTywO_story.html

I'm not quite sure how much money we will have left over after hopefully resigning most of our FA's, but, if the price was right, would you guys consider picking up LaRon and moving Glover back to CB? IMO, this would take our defense to the next level. The defense is amazing as is, but that 2nd CB spot leaves me a bit worried.

CB, as we have learned, is a very tough position to find an instant upgrade at via the Draft. So if we were to fill that 2nd CB spot with Quin, we could focus our draft on either WR, a position where rookies can actually have a pretty decent impact, or NT, which would then be our weakest position on defense.

I know there is a very little chance of something like this happening, but what do y'all think?

2 things.

1. Landry has an injury problem and it requires surgery, he is denying the surgery, thus making him expandable to the skins, so unless he does this only to get cut and get out of that hell hole then does the surgery, no thanks

2. I would not mind Quin moving down to corner, he did play that a lot of the season, Nolan and Demps saw a ton of action.....BUT I think we then need to draft a 1st round safety, are there any great ones?

Hey guys, i've been reading TT for a while now but haven't posted much, but I'm very interested to see what you guys would think about this possible scenario.

I know this is a pretty crazy idea, and I am aware that Glover performed much better this year as a safety than he did in the past as a Corner, but I'm thinking his performance increase may have had just as much to do with maturing as a player and learning under a much better DC in Wade than it did switching positions.

Anyways, I have been looking at the top upcoming free agents, and one name stuck out to me as he has always been a favorite of mine: LaRon Landry. With Landry ending the season on the IR in two consecutive years, I think he can be signed for a lot less money than his play on the field warrants.

At first glance, I thought there was no way the Redskins would let a guy like LaRon go, but then I read this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...t-his-future/2011/12/15/gIQA8hTywO_story.html

I'm not quite sure how much money we will have left over after hopefully resigning most of our FA's, but, if the price was right, would you guys consider picking up LaRon and moving Glover back to CB? IMO, this would take our defense to the next level. The defense is amazing as is, but that 2nd CB spot leaves me a bit worried.

CB, as we have learned, is a very tough position to find an instant upgrade at via the Draft. So if we were to fill that 2nd CB spot with Quin, we could focus our draft on either WR, a position where rookies can actually have a pretty decent impact, or NT, which would then be our weakest position on defense.

I know there is a very little chance of something like this happening, but what do y'all think?
Welcome to MB & good thread which has been discussed before. As a fan of Quin since he was drafted, I saw him as a natural FS & he was ranked as #7 in nation. I think the mind set of Phillips is to leave Kareem @ CB2. We have very good talent waiting in wings like Brandon Harris who was evaluated bysome as a first round prior to draft & I mocked him in 2nd round only to be disappointed he was not taken. Surprise! Wade trade back into first & got him in a move that was noted favorable by talking heads. ANother guy Roc Carmichael could prove to be a starter. I just don't see Texans picking a CB in any round except maybe 6 or 7. I also don't see a FA at that position. Check out the forum under national football on mocks for info & discussion on college players.

2 things.

1. Landry has an injury problem and it requires surgery, he is denying the surgery, thus making him expandable to the skins, so unless he does this only to get cut and get out of that hell hole then does the surgery, no thanks

2. I would not mind Quin moving down to corner, he did play that a lot of the season, Nolan and Demps saw a ton of action.....BUT I think we then need to draft a 1st round safety, are there any great ones?
No. Mark Barron is a pure SS & doesn't fit our role for safety. Lester does but is a mid to late 2nd round. Here is a guy I followed for 2 years that has exploded up charts Winston Guy

Class:
Senior

Hometown:
Lexington, Ky.

High School:
Catholic

Height / Weight:
6-1 / 216

Position:
Safety

Moved into the new hybrid safety/linebacker position during the spring ... Quickly adapted to the new post, which showcased his athletic ability as he made plays all over the field ... Two-year starter at safety ... Went through the National Football League evaluation process before deciding to return for his senior season ... Has played cornerback, free safety and strong safety during his career ... Has good size and speed ... Also a hard hitter ... Also sees extensive action in kick coverage and has returned kickoffs ... Has played in 39 games with 23 starts.

2010 (Junior): Second on the team in tackles with 106 ... Third in tackles per game among the SEC's defensive backs ... Led the team with three interceptions, vs. Auburn, South Carolina and Tennessee ... Had back-toback career highs with 16 tackles in the win over Charleston Southern and 18 stops in the victory over Vanderbilt ... Also scored 2.5 tackles for loss against the Commodores ... His 18-tackle performance against Vanderbilt was the higest by a UK player since Wesley Woodyard in 2005 ... Also hit double figures with 10 tackles, plus the pickoff, in the upset of South Carolina.

2009 (Sophomore): Played in all 13 games, starting 11 ... Totaled

2011: was even better and is a tackling machine. Should be there in our third round #90 pick

No this is not a "radical" idea per say. I proposed that the Texans signed Tyvon Branch from the Raiders and mover Quin back to the CB in the other MB. Of course, that was before I realized other priorities we needed to address in the offseason. So if we were to ever mover Quin back then we would probably have to get a safety in the draft.

No this is not a "radical" idea per say. I proposed that the Texans signed Tyvon Branch from the Raiders and mover Quin back to the CB in the other MB. Of course, that was before I realized other priorities we needed to address in the offseason. So if we were to ever mover Quin back then we would probably have to get a safety in the draft.

I'm certainly not opposed to getting another good safety. Landry is an amazing player. However, I don't think Quin should move, though he becomes depth at CB. Wade runs a lot of 3 safety sets. Having Quin as the 3rd safety isn't a bad idea. I don't think he has the speed to play CB at a high level with the amount of man defense the Texans play.

2 things.

I totally disagree with the bolded, I think we have to go WR or NT in the first round.

I totally disagree with the bolded, I think we have to go WR or NT in the first round.

:mariopalm: I said if we move quin that means we have to draft a safety in round one......never said I agreed with moving Quin.....

I think the defense as a whole stays pat, minus Mario.....maybe a few depth players moved around, but the starters will stay pat IMO, well maybe we get a new nt

I think wr and g are our biggest needs, with wr BY FAR taking the spotlight in round 1.....

I'd rather see Quin play quarterback. We don't know how Schaub will be next August and TJ Yates isn't mobile enough to run the ball. Quin could be our wildcat guy and play FS on defense. It's a win-win!

I'd rather see Quin play quarterback. We don't know how Schaub will be next August and TJ Yates isn't mobile enough to run the ball. Quin could be our wildcat guy and play FS on defense. It's a win-win!

I see your radical idea and would like to raise it to a "cowabunga dude!" by suggesting Quin also play receiver because he wears gloves.

I see your radical idea and would like to raise it to a "cowabunga dude!" by suggesting Quin also play receiver because he wears gloves.

If we do that, we should also move Mario to TE where he'd be a beast. You can never have to many TEs. :)

Did you forget the :sarcasm: or do you really think Schaub is more mobile than Yates?

What if he wore a glove on his left hand to help him catch, but didn't wear it on his right so he could throw the ball too? Hybrid WR/QB/FS/PR!

If we do that, we should also move Mario to TE where he'd be a beast. You can never have to many TEs. :)

That's a great idea too! Mario as a TE as well as an OLB would really make it easy to give him more than 8 million a year. I think the anti-mario crowd would be more inclined to re-sign him if he played both ways.

Did you forget the :sarcasm: or do you really think Schaub is more mobile than Yates?

Well, since Matt got the Rascal, I don't think TJ can out run him. However, the NFL likely wont let Matt play with the scooter, so I guess TJ is more mobile. But Quin is faster than both of them, he's like a cheetah on a skateboard going down a halfpipe!

What if he wore a glove on his left hand to help him catch, but didn't wear it on his right so he could throw the ball too? Hybrid WR/QB/FS/PR!

Also, he could play barefoot so he can kick field goals old school style! Think of the money Bob McNair will save?! Just think of it! McNair will be raising the roof to the max!

If they could get Landry for a short contract that doesn't break the bank, then I would be all for it. I'm not sure where that would leave Quin though. Would he become a backup safety or would the Texans move him back to CB? He wasn't awful as a CB and I think I may prefer him over Jason Allen as our 3rd corner.

That's a great idea too! Mario as a TE as well as an OLB would really make it easy to give him more than 8 million a year. I think the anti-mario crowd would be more inclined to re-sign him if he played both ways.

Well, since Matt got the Rascal, I don't think TJ can out run him. However, the NFL likely wont let Matt play with the scooter, so I guess TJ is more mobile. But Quin is faster than both of them, he's like a cheetah on a skateboard going down a halfpipe!
WHAT? Put the crack pipe down, dude. You usually make at least SOME sense.

Have you not seen him on the sideline zooming around on this:

He moves about twice as fast as he did before, probably runnin a 4.4 40 in that thing. If the NFL lets him use it when he comes back he will be the next Michael Vick, but with the arm of Dan Marino and the wheels of Abe Vigoda. He'll be an allstar!

:doot:

Have you not seen him on the sideline zooming around on this:

tumblr_lvx7kh1rv21r82u7no1_500.jpg

He moves about twice as fast as he did before, probably runnin a 4.4 40 in that thing. If the NFL lets him use it when he comes back he will be the next Michael Vick, but with the arm of Dan Marino and the wheels of Abe Vigoda. He'll be an allstar!

:doot:

When Wade came in he said he thought Quin could be a mediocre CB and a good safety. I'd argue he was better than mediocre at CB, but they're not going to move him back. He performed entirely too well at S to even think about it. Plus, the 3-deep at safety with Manning, Quin, and Nolan is too good to mess with.

The simple fix in the backfield is to add a better CB2. That's all it's missing.

If you have a 3-deep at safety with Manning, Quin, and Nolan and a 3-deep at CB with Joseph, FA/draft pick, McCain, you're pretty much set.

Quin is a very good S. He's average at best as a CB. Because of his lack of speed. They should leave Quin at S and hopefully Harris will become the CB2 that he was drafted to be. Carmicheal is also a very good nickle CB and ST guy. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does next yr.

If Allen walks in FA I could see the Texans picking a CB in the 1st 3 rds.

Personally, id use Mario as our goal line back. We have seen guys like Refrigerator Perry plow in from 1 yard out, but with Mario we have size AND speed! He would be unstoppable!

Quin is a very good S. He's average at best as a CB. Because of his lack of speed. They should leave Quin at S and hopefully Harris will become the CB2 that he wasdrafted to be. Carmicheal is also a very good nickle CB and ST guy. I'mlooking forward to seeing how he does next yr.

Or, if we dump Mario, the Texans could let Allen walk but add a quality FA CB like Brandon Carr, Brent Grimes, or a more moderately priced guy like Richard Marshall.

Or, if we dump Mario, the Texans could let Allen walk but add a quality FA CB like Brandon Carr, Brent Grimes, or a more moderately priced guy like Richard Marshall.

Yeah but the Texans cant survive without MW. (The Myian calender = MW walking= the world coming to an end.)

Quin is a very good S. He's average at best as a CB. Because of his lack of speed. They should leave Quin at S and hopefully Harris will become the CB2 that he was drafted to be. Carmicheal is also a very good nickle CB and ST guy. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does next yr.

steelb, I thought Harris' lack of speed is what kept him off the field this season. At least that's what I've read.

He smelled at CB but played well enough at safety to be a useful backup.

If you had another solid option to cover S, probably not Nolan I wouldn't mind seeing him move down as the nickel corner but other than that I really liked his play at S. The only thing I would like to see more of is INTs but I thought he covered and tackled very well.

Quin is always out of position i don't like him and i think we need to go in another direction and draft someone to take over FS spot.

Why would we move the best safety we have ever had? He was one of the surest tackles last year. Also improves every year.

Please tell me where I'm all wet. I watched Quin make plays all over the field @ the safety position. Replay after repaly was Glover making a play. Kept hearing his name all season, and not for scweing up.

What's the problem with where he is and what he's doing? Seems to be doing a pretty good job to me.

I like Quinn at safety better than I like him at corner.

That said, he's not some great irreplaceable safety. He's good, not great.

We don't have to actively look to replace him right now, but if we happen to find someone better that fits within our budget I'm all for it.

Back