Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Question about mistake in Front office...

pittbull

Rookie
There is a question that continues to be posed on the boards and I'm sure the question rings in the halls of the front office. What kind of year will Davie Franchise have? To the teams benefit, I believe they feel they have strengthened the defense, not placing added pressure on the Offense to produce alot of points. But one key elemnt is missing in the this off season......Who will be the legit #2 receiver.

All the Bradford threads in the world about him working hard is not going to convince me this guy is a true #2 . If that was the case, he would still be in Green Bay, with a Hall of Famer throwing him the ball. Gaffney is a great choice for possession wr, but has he gotten stronger in the offseason and become a big enough threat to not allow teams to double team Johnson? This question has not been answered yet.

I think the team should have drafted another receiver or picked up a legit free agent that can take pressure off of Johnson and Carr! No team in the leauge has been successful with their #2 WR dropping more passses than the practice squad. Bradford shows speed and athleticism most of the time, but also shows lapses in concentration and drops too many easy passes. Eventually this will hurt us. Gaffney catches everything is sight, but is he strong enough to get off the line, face the physical corners, and have the speed to expose them?

Maybe the front office knows something we don't know. Maybe the offense will take a different view. Maybe this will become a spread out offense, with Davis running through gaps. Who knows. All I know is, this position was not upgraded from last season! And if we are not able to throw downfield, don't blame Davie Franchise and the double-teamed Andre Johnson!.........

I for one am "pumped" that Bradford seems hungrier, and more determined. Granted while both Bradford and Gaffney dropped some balls, so did AJ. Some of this, I believe is due to "chemistry" between them and the QB that should be much improved this year. Bradford showed his speed against teams like the Dolphins in the season opener, and Jabar is a good route runner, IMO. AJ is athletic enough to get the ball even in double coverage, and lets not forget about Billy Miller. I don't think I am just being a fan here, but this being Carr's 3rd year, with receivers who complement each other as ours do (a consistent O line, with depth, and the threat of the running game)- I think this all adds up to Andre, Bradford, Gaffney, and Carr to all make major statistical strides this year.

pittbull said:
Bradford shows speed and athleticism most of the time, but also shows lapses in concentration and drops too many easy passes.

Bottle-O-Bud said:
Gaffney drops passes, not Bradford. The ball hits gaff between the numbers and it manages to pop out. Sometimes it would go through both his hands and carems off his helmet.

Maybe looking back to the 2002 season these comments make sense, but give credit for the 2003 season--Gaffney and Bradford each dropped one ball last year.

Bottle-O-Bud said:
Gaffney drops passes, not Bradford. The ball hits gaff between the numbers and it manages to pop out. Sometimes it would go through both his hands and carems off his helmet. :popcorn:

This is Gaffs 3rd season and its about time he produces. It's time for him to step up to the second spot.

What are you talking about? Gaffney has the best hands on the team. :crazy:

I like all of our recievers and with an O-line that got upgraded...each of them will produce nicely. All recievers drop balls as QB's throw wobbly ones at times...not even close to the WR as a LB like Lewis can miss a tackle. It's going to happen regardless. It's just that with our wide outs it's more noticeable since they haven't got many passes thrown at them like in other teams. With our O-line having some light shed on it, Carr will have more time to scan the field and toss our recievers the ball.

The team did draft a receiver, albeit late. I think Sloan Thomas may push the other guys despite his last round status. He has an extra bonus of being good at blocking.

A "mistake" would have been selecting a WR early and not investing in a pass rush or coverage guy for our defense.

With a more experiensed o line thats been upgraded substantialy ill be curious to see how well we fare when we get consistant protection during a 5 to 7 step drop.When we do and i feel certian we will our passing game is going to awsome.

Porky said:
What are you talking about? Gaffney has the best hands on the team. :crazy:

Your exactly right, Gaff does have he best hands on the team, and he did only drop one pass last season! Chemistry does play a big part also, but Bradford has been around long enough to produce more than he has! As for Aj, the guy was a rookie last season making adjustments to the elite league in the world, what do arm chair QB's want from a first year guy? I doubt 1% of the fans could catch a five yard toss from Carr, let alone running a route between traffic. Get it together. AJ will be unreal when his career takes off!

pittbull said:
As for Aj, the guy was a rookie last season making adjustments to the elite league in the world, what do arm chair QB's want from a first year guy? I doubt 1% of the fans could catch a five yard toss from Carr, let alone running a route between traffic. Get it together. AJ will be unreal when his career takes off!

exactly. AJ even said last year that it was taking him a little time to adjust to the difference between catching a lob from Ken Dorsey and a speeding bullet from Carr. With a full year behind him, he should be much improved...

:twocents:

Back