Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Practice Squad Players

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Just curious:
If another team wishes to sign a player off your practice squad do you get first option to keep the player. Could you place the player on your active list and re-assign a player on the active list to the practice squad, assuming of course that the player is eligible for the p.c. idonno:
I read on one of the threads that Matt Murphy was signed because some other team was 'looking' at him.

If another team wishes to sign a player off your practice squad do you get first option to keep the player.
There's no guaranteed option or first right of refusal but if you really want to keep the guy you can make your case to the player and the agent that it's in their best interest to stay where they are at (familiarity with the system, etc.) and sign them to the 53. In the end it's really up to the player. If they want to go elsewhere, they can and there's nothing the "old" team can do about it other than sweetening the pot with a few more incentives in the contract or a bonus of some sort. I think most players would be more comfy staying with their old team unless there are other extenuating circumstances that would make them more interested in a claiming team.

Could you place the player on your active list and re-assign a player on the active list to the practice squad, assuming of course that the player is eligible for the p.c.
Yes, but I think that's kind of a rarity.

Thanks AJ I am just hoping we get another training camp and preseason to look at Starling and Thomas. I feel we need to groom a replacement for Bradford.

cuppacoffee said:
Thanks AJ I am just hoping we get another training camp and preseason to look at Starling and Thomas. I feel we need to groom a replacement for Bradford.
Armstrong is probably Bradford's replacement next year unless Corey takes a lot less money - a minimum deal with incentives - which I don't think he'll agree to. I think CB will be playing in San Diego, Tampa, Cleveland, Oakland, Baltimore or somewhere else next year. Someone will probably pay him #2 WR FA money. Next year's Texans 1-4 WRs could very easily be AJ, Gaff, Armstrong, and Starling. Sloan will have to rally to pass Starling on the depth chart IMO.

Back