Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Potential 2020 Comp Picks -They're in

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Overthecap.com has estimated the 2020 comp picks, with the Texans picking up 3.

3rd round - For Honey Badger
7th round - For Kendall Lamm
7th round - For Christian Covington

Getting around the 100th pick makes passing on free agency totally worth it. And the Texans will get 2 of the bestest special teamers the 2020 draft has to offer with those 2 comp picks in the 250's. A total win for Gaine and the front office team.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Yay.

Can't wait for our newfound optimism brigade to swing by and tell us all how much better these picks are than nothing..

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
When you're a rebuilding team, or a team with cap issues, stockpiling day 3 picks makes sense. Avoiding free agency when you have a contending team in order to gain the 100th pick in the following draft? Not so much.
To be fair... how many playoff teams from last season were major players in free agency this offseason? Pretty clear with the way free agents are overpaid and rookie contracts are underpaid the successful teams are making an effort to get as many rookie contracts on their team as possible now. Colts had even more cap space and were also inactive in free agency. Only difference is their GM made trades to acquire more picks to get more chances at building his team on rookie contracts and our GM stood pat at every selection.

Also helps they had the Jets trade them 3 second round picks to move up in a loaded QB class last season and had the best OL prospect since Tyron Smith fall in their laps.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
To be fair... how many playoff teams from last season were major players in free agency this offseason? Pretty clear with the way free agents are overpaid and rookie contracts are underpaid the successful teams are making an effort to get as many rookie contracts on their team as possible now.
The Rams made the Super Bowl making major FA and trade deals for large contracts. There's not just one way to skin a cat. The teams that invested this offseason could be improved in 2019. And how many 2018 playoff teams had the roster holes the Texans have? The Texans could have done more. Whether they should have done more remains to be seen. The reward for doing less seems minimal at this point.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The Rams made the Super Bowl making major FA and trade deals for large contracts. There's not just one way to skin a cat. The teams that invested this offseason could be improved in 2019. And how many 2018 playoff teams had the roster holes the Texans have? The Texans could have done more. Whether they should have done more remains to be seen. The reward for doing less seems minimal at this point.
The Rams made their run to be sure but they’ve paid the price this offseason and have been inactive due to being cash strapped. Typically being the big spender in free agency gives a team a 1-2 year window. If a team wants more than that they have to lean on the draft. Or have a hall of fame QB who doesn’t care about being the league’s highest paid QB because his wife makes plenty of money.

Texans had holes just like every other team. They are easier to spot because they were so glaring at OT/CB this past season but if you take a step back and look at every other roster of the playoff teams you’ll see they all have holes. And yet most took the same inactive approach to free agency this offseason.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Just hope the Texans have a draft where they hit multiple home runs like Saints 2017 and Colts 2018 drafts. That is the quickest and most sustainable way to build a contender given the current CBA/salary cap structure of the league. All pros on rookie contracts > solid players being paid top 5 at their position.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
When you're a rebuilding team, or a team with cap issues, stockpiling day 3 picks makes sense. Avoiding free agency when you have a contending team in order to gain the 100th pick in the following draft? Not so much.
Texans have hit on an occasional good player in the late rounds/UDFA so the chance is always there.
Gaine hitting on Reid in a draft with no 1st or 2nd was very good for this team - he seems to do his homework.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
To be fair... how many playoff teams from last season were major players in free agency this offseason? Pretty clear with the way free agents are overpaid and rookie contracts are underpaid the successful teams are making an effort to get as many rookie contracts on their team as possible now. Colts had even more cap space and were also inactive in free agency. Only difference is their GM made trades to acquire more picks to get more chances at building his team on rookie contracts and our GM stood pat at every selection.

Also helps they had the Jets trade them 3 second round picks to move up in a loaded QB class last season and had the best OL prospect since Tyron Smith fall in their laps.
The Rams added Weddle/Matthews/Bortles in FA (Former all pro's) and re-signed Fowler

Pats- Traded for Bennett.

Saints- Jarred Cook/Nick Easton/Murray

Chiefs- HB/Hyde/Okafor/Damien Wilson. Traded for Clark/Ogbah

Eagles- Darby/Malik Jackson/DeSean Jackson/Sendejo/Traded for Jordan Howard

Colts- Funchess/Houston

Texans- Roby/Gipson/McCarron/Kalil/Fells

Obviously the Texans went dumpster diving compared to what other playoff teams did. The Colts added to their team in FA. The Texans replaced the guys they lost in FA on 1 yr deals. They did nothing to add to their team in FA.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well said

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well said

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Gaine hitting on Reid in a draft with no 1st or 2nd was very good for this team - he seems to do his homework.
The Reid pick was great. He fell in Gaine's lap, but at least he accepted the gift. Coutee has had his moments, as well. I thought Jordan Thomas showed promise, but I don't know how O'Brien feels about him. Still, not much of a track record to assume Gaine's draft acumen. We'll see, but he took some major gambles this year.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The Rams added Weddle/Matthews/Bortles in FA (Former all pro's) and re-signed Fowler

Pats- Traded for Bennett.

Saints- Jarred Cook/Nick Easton/Murray

Chiefs- HB/Hyde/Okafor/Damien Wilson. Traded for Clark/Ogbah

Eagles- Darby/Malik Jackson/DeSean Jackson/Sendejo/Traded for Jordan Howard

Colts- Funchess/Houston

Texans- Roby/Gipson/McCarron/Kalil/Fells

Obviously the Texans went dumpster diving compared to what other playoff teams did. The Colts added to their team in FA. The Texans replaced the guys they lost in FA on 1 yr deals. They did nothing to add to their team in FA.
Yeah... i’m not considering those moves you have examples of as splashes or proof they’re being active aside from the Chiefs spending big $ and draft capital. I get it that it’s popular to hate the Texans right now but this is reaching.

Are you really going to attempt to say the Rams got betterby adding two players that haven’t been more than JAGs in a couple seasons and a 1st round bust? Did you forget they lost 2 starting interior OL?

Are you really going to attempt to say Michael Bennett in 2019 is better than Trey Flowers? I suppose you’ll make an argument that Gronk has been adequately replaced by the splash FA signing of Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. Tell me how they improved outside of the DRAFT?

Saints... Max Unger retired, Sheldon Rankins torn achilles end of last season, Drew Brees having to be pulled in hail mary situations because his arm strength is deteriorating... Not sure many Saints fans will claim letting Mark Ingram walk to pay Latavius Murray more money is a splash. Don’t see Cook/Easton more “splashy” than the Texans FA additions.

Eagles re-signing their own in Darby (rehabbing torn acl), grabbing a DT benched by his former team, might get something out of D Jax but again these aren’t splash moves.

Chiefs only team on list that can be considered splash signings. Overpaid for Frank Clark when they could’ve had similar in Dee Ford at less draft cost. We know HB aint worth the $ he got because if he was our secondary wouldn’t have been a liability against good QBs.

Colts... thanks for proving my point that they didn’t make splash signings despite having more cap room.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The Reid pick was great. He fell in Gaine's lap, but at least he accepted the gift. Coutee has had his moments, as well. I thought Jordan Thomas showed promise, but I don't know how O'Brien feels about him. Still, not much of a track record to assume Gaine's draft acumen. We'll see, but he took some major gambles this year.

Even if Reid/Coutee turn out to be the only studs in last draft I can’t remember the last time Texans hit on 2 long term contributors in the mid or late rounds of a draft. Maybe 2006 with Winston and OD? Speaking of OD I notice Kahalle Warring is wearing his old #81. I’ll take that as a positive sign of things to come!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah... i’m not considering those moves you have examples of as splashes or proof they’re being active aside from the Chiefs spending big $ and draft capital. I get it that it’s popular to hate the Texans right now but this is reaching.

Are you really going to attempt to say the Rams got betterby adding two players that haven’t been more than JAGs in a couple seasons and a 1st round bust? Did you forget they lost 2 starting interior OL?

Are you really going to attempt to say Michael Bennett in 2019 is better than Trey Flowers? I suppose you’ll make an argument that Gronk has been adequately replaced by the splash FA signing of Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. Tell me how they improved outside of the DRAFT?

Saints... Max Unger retired, Sheldon Rankins torn achilles end of last season, Drew Brees having to be pulled in hail mary situations because his arm strength is deteriorating... Not sure many Saints fans will claim letting Mark Ingram walk to pay Latavius Murray more money is a splash. Don’t see Cook/Easton more “splashy” than the Texans FA additions.

Eagles re-signing their own in Darby (rehabbing torn acl), grabbing a DT benched by his former team, might get something out of D Jax but again these aren’t splash moves.

Chiefs only team on list that can be considered splash signings. Overpaid for Frank Clark when they could’ve had similar in Dee Ford at less draft cost. We know HB aint worth the $ he got because if he was our secondary wouldn’t have been a liability against good QBs.

Colts... thanks for proving my point that they didn’t make splash signings despite having more cap room.
Rams- Weddle is as good as what they lost, Matthews is going to have a big season under Wade.

Pats- Outlier

Saints- Adding Eason/Drafting McCoy helped the interior of their OL which was a weakness last yr. Adding Cook is a huge addition.

Philly- DeSean Jackson adds what they were missing when they lost Torrey Smith last yr. Deep Speed

Chiefs- Agreed

Colts- Houston is a big upgrade and a badly needed pass rush upgrade. Watch and see how good Funchess looks next yr with Luck/TY/Ebron etc... a perfect addition for that team. Ballard is a great GM. (I'm biased because he's from Tx City.)

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Rams- Weddle is as good as what they lost, Matthews is going to have a big season under Wade.

Pats- Outlier

Saints- Adding Eason/Drafting McCoy helped the interior of their OL which was a weakness last yr. Adding Cook is a huge addition.

Philly- DeSean Jackson adds what they were missing when they lost Torrey Smith last yr. Deep Speed

Chiefs- Agreed

Colts- Houston is a big upgrade and a badly needed pass rush upgrade. Watch and see how good Funchess looks next yr with Luck/TY/Ebron etc... a perfect addition for that team. Ballard is a great GM. (I'm biased because he's from Tx City.)
We're just going to agree to disagree. You are using the team's draft additions as proof they got better but discounting the Texans because you disagree with who they took. I also disagree with your future outlook for older players like Weddle/Matthews, their best days are behind them. Jared Cook pops up with a big game once or twice a year and then disappears, that's his career. Not a splash. D Jax could be a big splash but he's another year older and another year piling up injuries. I think his best days are behind them.

Houston could be a big upgrade given the needs on Colts and appropriately priced contract given the risk with his injuries. Disagree on Funchess, he's a JAG at best. Parris Campbell is a much more dangerous addition to their offense.

Appreciate the discussion and recognize we'll agree to disagree. Just pointing out maybe people on this board are too familiar with this team and unfamiliar with others where it's easy to point out the faults in one (Texans) without recognizing the faults in other teams that we don't watch as intently year round.

Gaine and Ballard have both been doing an excellent job so far. I'm sure if Gaine could trade spots he would've preferred inheriting the Colts and getting that blockbuster trade with the Jets to turn around and hit multiple home run picks then set the team up for long term success with tons of draft capital like Ballard has been doing. Gaine's first draft looks to have yielded a couple core players in Reid/Coutee at minimum and first season went 11-5. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see how his team building strategy plays out without shitting all over it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We're just going to agree to disagree. You are using the team's draft additions as proof they got better but discounting the Texans because you disagree with who they took. I also disagree with your future outlook for older players like Weddle/Matthews, their best days are behind them. Jared Cook pops up with a big game once or twice a year and then disappears, that's his career. Not a splash. D Jax could be a big splash but he's another year older and another year piling up injuries. I think his best days are behind them.

Houston could be a big upgrade given the needs on Colts and appropriately priced contract given the risk with his injuries. Disagree on Funchess, he's a JAG at best. Parris Campbell is a much more dangerous addition to their offense.

Appreciate the discussion and recognize we'll agree to disagree. Just pointing out maybe people on this board are too familiar with this team and unfamiliar with others where it's easy to point out the faults in one (Texans) without recognizing the faults in other teams that we don't watch as intently year round.

Gaine and Ballard have both been doing an excellent job so far. I'm sure if Gaine could trade spots he would've preferred inheriting the Colts and getting that blockbuster trade with the Jets to turn around and hit multiple home run picks then set the team up for long term success with tons of draft capital like Ballard has been doing. Gaine's first draft looks to have yielded a couple core players in Reid/Coutee at minimum and first season went 11-5. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see how his team building strategy plays out without shitting all over it.
Disagree about Cook, he had a great yr last yr.

Houston hasn't had any major injuries, disagree about Funchess.

I was looking about the Saints interior OL upgrades as a whole. I didn't look at this as a draft pick vs FA thing.

DJax is exactly what the Eagles offense was missing last yr.

Spot on with the Gaine/Ballard comparison. This is one of the reasons I said this is a 3 yr rebuild for Gaine from the minute he was hired.

I really enjoy the back and forth with reasonable posters like you.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Disagree about Cook, he had a great yr last yr.

Houston hasn't had any major injuries, disagree about Funchess.

I was looking about the Saints interior OL upgrades as a whole. I didn't look at this as a draft pick vs FA thing.

DJax is exactly what the Eagles offense was missing last yr.

Spot on with the Gaine/Ballard comparison. This is one of the reasons I said this is a 3 yr rebuild for Gaine from the minute he was hired.

I really enjoy the back and forth with reasonable posters like you.
Likewise ole buddy. More than one way to skin a cat (build a team) and more than one way to view a player (hence why draft boards can be so wildly different for teams).

As far as Cook having a great year his game logs tell the story of his career.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jaredcook/71265/gamelogs

By his standards yes he did better than usual. 4 100+ yard games plus that monster opening night. But to have a “great” season a player has to be consistent imo. He is an inconsistent player, always has been.

That’s why he also had 6 games under 30 yards and 9 total games under 40 yards. Given the complete lack of weapons on that Raiders team last season having 9 essential no show performances from what is essentially the top target on the team is disappointing wouldn’t you agree?

Funchess is a JAG always has been. Honestly don’t see much difference between him and a guy like Dontrelle Inman they let walk. Funchess has exciting size for the position but has yet to do much with it.

Justin Houston has substantial injury history just ask @CloakNNNdagger

He has had knee issues going back to 2015. And throw in a (likely compensatory) hamstring injury causing him to miss 4 games this past season. He is no longer an all pro caliber player. May give them big games in spurts but think the injuries will continue to pile up.

Saints OL is not better than last season even with new additions. Losing Unger is a massive blow. Hard to make a case they have maintained much less gotten better.

Already touched on D Jax. Best ability is availability and an injury prone 30+ year old deep threat is not likely to be available often.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Likewise ole buddy. More than one way to skin a cat (build a team) and more than one way to view a player (hence why draft boards can be so wildly different for teams).

As far as Cook having a great year his game logs tell the story of his career.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jaredcook/71265/gamelogs

By his standards yes he did better than usual. 4 100+ yard games plus that monster opening night. But to have a “great” season a player has to be consistent imo. He is an inconsistent player, always has been.

That’s why he also had 6 games under 30 yards and 9 total games under 40 yards. Given the complete lack of weapons on that Raiders team last season having 9 essential no show performances from what is essentially the top target on the team is disappointing wouldn’t you agree?

Funchess is a JAG always has been. Honestly don’t see much difference between him and a guy like Dontrelle Inman they let walk. Funchess has exciting size for the position but has yet to do much with it.

Justin Houston has substantial injury history just ask @CloakNNNdagger

He has had knee issues going back to 2015. And throw in a (likely compensatory) hamstring injury causing him to miss 4 games this past season. He is no longer an all pro caliber player. May give them big games in spurts but think the injuries will continue to pile up.

Saints OL is not better than last season even with new additions. Losing Unger is a massive blow. Hard to make a case they have maintained much less gotten better.

Already touched on D Jax. Best ability is availability and an injury prone 30+ year old deep threat is not likely to be available often.
Houston's injury history is extensive. He has had a problem staying in the lineup over the years.

He missed 5 games in 2013 with a dislocated elbow. Came back in 2014 for his sack record-setting year. Then he suffered a PCL knee injury in 2015 which he tried to play through a few games ineffectively after missing 5 games before that. Feb 2016, he underwent a scope "clean up." However, in March of 2016, he was returned to surgery for repair of a torn ACL and LCL. His rehab was slow which continued to dog him through most of 2016 with loss of 11 games that season. He came back 2017 and, despite intermittent knee swelling during the season and loss of 1 game, had a good season. Oct 2018, he suffered a hamstring tear which cost him 4 games.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Roby signing offsets the jackson loss. No comp pick for Kareem.
Not sure if I have it correct but Denver didn't place a tender offer on Roby for teams to match. I think I read that since that didn't happen he would count in comp pick evaluation. Can someone clarify?

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Not sure if I have it correct but Denver didn't place a tender offer on Roby for teams to match. I think I read that since that didn't happen he would count in comp pick evaluation. Can someone clarify?
Roby was not a restricted free agent.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/1/3/18166716/denver-broncos-free-agents-2019

An unrestricted free agent are free to hit the open market and negotiate with any team once their contract officially expires, so these players will all be open to sign with the highest bidder or the team of their choice in March.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
And as was predicted last May, the Texans picked up a 3rd, and (2) 7th round compensatory picks. The Texans were award with the top compensatory pick (#97) as well as picks #248 and #250. Here's the entire list of comp picks:

Round 3
97. Houston Texans
98. New England Patriots
99. New York Giants
100. New England Patriots
101. Seattle Seahawks
102. Pittsburgh Steelers
103. Philadelphia Eagles
104. Los Angeles Rams
105. Minnesota Vikings
106. Baltimore Ravens

Round 4
139. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
140. Chicago Bears
141. Miami Dolphins
142. Washington Redskins
143. Baltimore Ravens
144. Seattle Seahawks
145. Philadelphia Eagles
146. Philadelphia Eagles

Round 5
178. Denver Broncos
179. Dallas Cowboys

Round 6
212. New England Patriots
213. New England Patriots
214. Seattle Seahawks

Round 7
247. New York Giants
248. Houston Texans
249. Minnesota Vikings
250. Houston Texans
251. Miami Dolphins
252. Denver Broncos
253. Minnesota Vikings
254. Denver Broncos
255. New York Giants

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Texans will send 3rd round comp pick to Browns (and keep their own 3rd round pick) to complete Duke Johnson trade.

Here are the Texans current draft picks:

Pick #57 - 2nd round
Pick #90 - 3rd round
Pick #111 - 4th round (from Miami)
Pick #131 - 4th round
Pick #171 - 5th round
Pick #240 - 7th round
Pick #248 - 7th round (comp pick)
Pick #250 - 7th round (comp pick)