• Kenyon Green G

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Garrett Wilson WR

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I didn't follow the Combine very closely this year but I am aware that several have improved their draft stocks while others have fallen.
The previous poll, pre combine, expires in a few days anyway.
So, another poll might be interesting.
Who do you think Texans should take?
(A notable omission will be Derek Stingley III CB - he received no votes in the previous poll possibly due to injury history so I will omit him here.)
If there is any player not on this list you think they should take, please post him up.
Interesting to note here, with these ten probably being the actual top ten, if the Texans trade back, to around 9 or ten, bpa can still make many of these viable choices.
I'll leave it active for a month.
And this time, you can change your choice.

IF we stay at 3 I’m torn, Thibs is intriguing but feels risky. We could take Neal and probably move Tunsil so that’s how I voted. If we do move down I’d be happy getting BPA with the exception of Wilson, too much talent later.

#3 is Walker for me. Since you didn't follow the Combine Walker is 6'5" 272 ran a 4.51 40. He played out of position at Georgia, a 3 technique DE in 3-4. Move to a 5 technique in a 4-3 and he could be another JJ Watt or Michael Strahan. An even better professional than a college player.

Last edited:
#3 is Walker for me. Since you didn't follow the Combine Walker is 6'5" 272 ran a 4.51 40. He played out of position at Georgia, a 3 technique DE in 3-4. Move to a 5 technique in a 4-3 and he could be another JJ Watt or Michael Strahan. An even better professional than a college player.
He was one I wanted to put on the list but then who to leave out? Possibly could have left Green off, but he ranks higher on most boards and I felt we needed the top guard on the list.
Btw, I really like Walker. If we trade back to around 9, I would be very happy with him or Traylon Burks - is just like AJ Brown but with an even better step.

For me, it has to be one of the three tackles - Hamilton will likely be there but should we take a Safety that high?
Also your tackles play every down whereas your Dlinemen are not every down players - especially if a drive wears on a bit too long - this also makes Sauce Gardner a great choice especially if we trade back a few places.Good CBs are also notoriously expensive in FA.

TRAVON WALKER
HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jump
6 ft 5 in
(1.96 m)
272 lb
(123 kg)
35+1⁄2 in
(0.90 m)
10+3⁄4 in
(0.27 m)
4.51 s4.32 s6.89 s35.5 in
(0.90 m)
10 ft 3 in
(3.12 m)

VS

JADEVEON CLOWNEY

HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash10-yard split20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jumpBench pressWonderlic
6 ft 5+1⁄4 in
(1.96 m)
266 lb
(121 kg)
34+1⁄2 in
(0.88 m)
10 in
(0.25 m)
4.53 s1.56 s4.43 s7.27 s37+1⁄2 in
(0.95 m)
10 ft 4 in
(3.15 m)
21 reps14

The BIG difference here is Walker takes his football seriously. Walker shows up and does the work. In high school played basketball, won 71 straight games and 2 state championships. His priority is not sitting around the apartment getting high.

TRAVON WALKER
HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jump
6 ft 5 in
(1.96 m)
272 lb
(123 kg)
35+1⁄2 in
(0.90 m)
10+3⁄4 in
(0.27 m)
(0.90 m)
10 ft 3 in
(3.12 m)
VS

JADEVEON CLOWNEY

HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash10-yard split20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jumpBench pressWonderlic
6 ft 5+1⁄4 in
(1.96 m)
266 lb
(121 kg)
34+1⁄2 in
(0.88 m)
10 in
(0.25 m)
(0.95 m)
10 ft 4 in
(3.15 m)
21 reps14
The BIG difference here is Walker takes his football seriously. Walker shows up and does the work. In high school played basketball, won 71 straight games and 2 state championships. His priority is not sitting around the apartment getting high.
Nice work.

Walker had 37 tackles, 19 solo, 18 assisted, and 6 sacks in 2022. Not a lot in 2021 and 2020. I just try to temper my excitement in regards to Combine numbers….it doesn’t trump 2-3 seasons of work on the field.

no shortage of top end pass rushers in this class, think this depth may impact teams attempting to fill pass rusher need. Huge drop off OT class after Cross, Neal and Ekwonu. Only one, healthy top end CB. Would change my vote to Ahmad Gardener, drinking the Sauce :koolaid:

TRAVON WALKER
6 ft 5 in
(1.96 m)
272 lb
(123 kg)
35+1⁄2 in
(0.90 m)
10+3⁄4 in
(0.27 m)
(0.90 m)
10 ft 3 in
(3.12 m)
VS

JADEVEON CLOWNEY

6 ft 5+1⁄4 in
(1.96 m)
266 lb
(121 kg)
34+1⁄2 in
(0.88 m)
10 in
(0.25 m)
(0.95 m)
10 ft 4 in
(3.15 m)
21 reps14
Walker is a big, rugged run-stopper with the playing style and body type to play 3-4 end. He consistently outreaches blockers and takes control at the point of attack, and sets firm edges despite playing with limited knee-bend. He plays with violent hands, sluggish feet and all-day aggressiveness. He has quick-shed ability to make plays near his gaps but lacks lateral quickness to play with desired range. He won't be considered a skilled or threatening rusher from any alignment but can plow his way forward to find occasional success. He's effective against the run but is likely to be a one-way player who comes off the field on passing downs.
So anyway that's local Draft guru Lance Zierlands analysis of Walker who he goes on to compare to Chris Wormley,
an NFL vet with the Steelers who's had a grand total of 9 sacks in 5 seasons in the NFL.
Zierland labels Walker a "3-4 run-stopper, a one-way player who comes off the field on third downs".
No thank you, I'm looking for much more than that if we are talking about the number #3 overall pick in the NFL Draft, as I strongly suspect Nick Caserio and Lovie Smith also are.

Walker had 37 tackles, 19 solo, 18 assisted, and 6 sacks in 2022. Not a lot in 2021 and 2020. I just try to temper my excitement in regards to Combine numbers….it doesn’t trump 2-3 seasons of work on the field.
Putting this in perspective, at Georgia Walker was a 3 technique DE in a 3-4 D. As opposed to Jadeveon Clowney who was a 5 technique in a 4-3 D and Walker had twice as many sacks in their Junior year. JJ Watt was also a 3 technique DE in a 3-4 D at Wisconsin. In their 3rd year Walker has more sacks than JJ Watt. Like Watt Walker will be a better player in the pros than he was in college, providing he plays a 5 technique DE in 4 - 3 D like Lovie's and Wade's.

JJ WATT
HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash10-yard split20-yard split20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jumpBench pressWonderlic
6 ft 5+3⁄8 in
(1.97 m)
290 lb
(132 kg)
34 in
(0.86 m)
11+1⁄8 in
(0.28 m)
4.84 s1.64 s2.71 s4.21 s6.88 s37 in
(0.94 m)
10 ft 0 in
(3.05 m)
34 reps31[19]

VS

TRAVON WALKER

6 ft 5 in
(1.96 m)
272 lb
(123 kg)
35+1⁄2 in
(0.90 m)
10+3⁄4 in
(0.27 m)
(0.90 m)
10 ft 3 in
(3.12 m)

Putting this in perspective, at Georgia Walker was a 3 technique DE in a 3-4 D. As opposed to Jadeveon Clowney who was a 5 technique in a 4-3 D and Walker had twice as many sacks in their Junior year. JJ Watt was also a 3 technique DE in a 3-4 D at Wisconsin. In their 3rd year Walker has more sacks than JJ Watt.

No he didn't..

Walker is a big, rugged run-stopper with the playing style and body type to play 3-4 end. He consistently outreaches blockers and takes control at the point of attack, and sets firm edges despite playing with limited knee-bend. He plays with violent hands, sluggish feet and all-day aggressiveness. He has quick-shed ability to make plays near his gaps but lacks lateral quickness to play with desired range. He won't be considered a skilled or threatening rusher from any alignment but can plow his way forward to find occasional success. He's effective against the run but is likely to be a one-way player who comes off the field on passing downs.
So anyway that's local Draft guru Lance Zierlands analysis of Walker who he goes on to compare to Chris Wormley,
an NFL vet with the Steelers who's had a grand total of 9 sacks in 5 seasons in the NFL.
Zierland labels Walker a "3-4 run-stopper, a one-way player who comes off the field on third downs".
No thank you, I'm looking for much more than that if we are talking about the number #3 overall pick in the NFL Draft, as I strongly suspect Nick Caserio and Lovie Smith also are.

I think Zerlein docks a player 5 points for pimples and 5 points for freckles.

:coffee:

JJ played defense for 2 years at Wisconsin,
So let me try this again, trying for an apples-to-apples comparison. Their 3rd year in college that is red-shirt sophmore for Watt (2009) and Junior for Walker (2021) in those respective years, Watt had 4.5 sacks and Walker had 6. Better?

So let me try this again, trying for an apples-to-apples comparison. Their 3rd year in college that is red-shirt sophmore for Watt (2009) and Junior for Walker (2021) in those respective years, Watt had 4.5 sacks and Walker had 6. Better?
Come on, man. Stop apologizing for Walker's lack of production. He's a project as regards to edge rusher. A projection. Just say, "I believe in this guy's tools" and be done with it. Nobody can argue with the tools.

Come on, man. Stop apologizing for Walker's lack of production. He's a project as regards to edge rusher. A projection. Just say, "I believe in this guy's tools" and be done with it. Nobody can argue with the tools.
C'mon man you could just say fair enough, you made your point. I'm not apologizing for Walkers production no more than I was apologizing for Watt's or Clowney's.

With the 3rd pick, the Houston texans selects..... QB Malik willis

Lol you just never know with cal and Co :smiliepalm:

With the 3rd pick, the Houston texans selects..... QB Malik willis

Lol you just never know with cal and Co :smiliepalm:

Not sold on Malik Willis at all. His Combine bumped him too high. His CFB career had him properly settled in as a RD4-RD5 Developmental QB. The media loves their selected darlings.

Not sold on Malik Willis at all. His Combine bumped him too high. His CFB career had him properly settled in as a RD4-RD5 Developmental QB. The media loves their selected darlings.
No doubt that Malik Willis has the body and athleticism to play football, but does he have the mind to play QB? The fact that he transferred from Auburn to Liberty suggest he may not. I personally watched 3 Malik Willis games this past season and came away not impressed. A couple against lesser competition. Against Ole Miss he was dreadful.

No doubt that Malik Willis has the body and athleticism to play football, but does he have the mind to play QB? The fact that he transferred from Auburn to Liberty suggest he may not. I personally watched 3 Malik Willis games this past season and came away not impressed. A couple against lesser competition. Against Ole Miss he was dreadful.

Spot on!!! Willis transferred out of Auburn b/c he was buried as QB3 I believe. Went to Liberty and didn’t exactly set the world on fire…especially against some of smaller schools.

He has all the physical gifts, as did Ryan Leaf, but doesn’t look like he can read defenses while under pressure.

Spot on!!! Willis transferred out of Auburn b/c he was buried as QB3 I believe. Went to Liberty and didn’t exactly set the world on fire…especially against some of smaller schools.

He has all the physical gifts, as did Ryan Leaf, but doesn’t look like he can read defenses while under pressure.
Last year, I gave Desmond Ridder a Colin Kaepernick comp. Now, I see Ridder as more of a Andy Dalton with plus athleticism. Willis is more Kaepernick but not as physically imposing. He will need a lot of coaching. Willis should be a 2nd round pick, but teams are so QB hungry, he'll go in the 1st.

Last year, I gave Desmond Ridder a Colin Kaepernick comp. Now, I see Ridder as more of a Andy Dalton with plus athleticism. Willis is more Kaepernick but not as physically imposing. He will need a lot of coaching. Willis should be a 2nd round pick, but teams are so QB hungry, he'll go in the 1st.
I predict he may go as high as #3 - hopefully via a Texans trade!😅

Back