Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Poll: why would the Texans hire Bieniemy?

The Texans will hire Bieniemy (if they hire Bieniemy) because

• Total voters

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Voted they think it’s best, Why care how the players feel now?

Also I believe “doesn’t interview well” is code for “he’s black”
Well....I would think that the color of his skin would be known prior to setting up the interview in the first place, no code words needed.
Many people do not interview well and this can be signs of nervousness. Reasons a candidate for HC is considered to not be a good interview can be for the following reasons;

1) Didn't research the team. Doesn't know stars currently on roster or obvious team needs moving forward (if any are publicized).
2) Didn't ask enough questions. A candidate who is interested in the direction and history of the team will ask a plethora of questions when given the opportunity to gauge whether or not they even want the job. Not asking questions is a sign that either A) They aren't too keen on the position or B) They have no idea what questions to ask.
3) He gave inconsistent answers or lied. Sometimes the candidate will only say what he thinks the interviewer wants to hear and later in the interview will accidentally contradict himself.
4) The candidate cannot explain what his direction would be for the team. His strategy, possible staff and what his ideal team would look like.
5) Candidate cannot explain why he would prefer this HC vacancy over other team vacancies (if there are others).
6) Sometimes it is as simple as the candidate not showing enough excitement or enthusiasm.
7) On the flip side of #6, sometimes the candidate can be too humble. It never hurts to sell yourself.
8) All too often a candidate will make the interview about them and not about the TEAM. Bottom line is, what can this candidate do for the team...that is what the interviewer is interested in most.
9) Sometimes a candidate will seem too determined and dead set in their own ways. For some front offices (especially those that like to add their own input to a teams roster and direction) this can be a problem.
10) Something simple like body language and appearance (yes..eating during the interview also) is important. 1st impressions are a thing.
11) Candidate did not build a rapport with interviewer. Sometimes it really is as simple as not being able to see eye to eye on basic fundamentals which can spell relationship problems later in the season.
12) Candidates strengths are not exactly what the team needs most at the moment.

There are many reasons why a possible HC would not interview well and many of them have nothing to do with skin color and more to do with the front office wanting to make the best possible choice to further their franchise and profit margin.

Last edited:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I like Eberflus as I did Saleh. Hell, you can sell me on Daboll based on the improvement of Allen. You can't sell me on Frazier or Cully at all. I like Frazier as a man, but for a defensive minded coach, he had 1 yr when his defense was top 14 and that was last yr in Buffalo. Cully is 65 and is the pass game qb of a below avg passing team and haven't ever been a oc. Say what you want about EB and whether he calls the plays or not, but he's a force with players. Maybe that's the problem, much like Bruce Arians, he's like a shot of Wild Turkey. He's going to say what he says and lead his team. Thats what EB is.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I like Eberflus as I did Saleh. Hell, you can sell me on Daboll based on the improvement of Allen. You can't sell me on Frazier or Cully at all. I like Frazier as a man, but for a defensive minded coach, he had 1 yr when his defense was top 14 and that was last yr in Buffalo. Cully is 65 and is the pass game qb of a below avg passing team and haven't ever been a oc. Say what you want about EB and whether he calls the plays or not, but he's a force with players. Maybe that's the problem, much like Bruce Arians, he's like a shot of Wild Turkey. He's going to say what he says and lead his team. Thats what EB is.
Yeah. I don’t know how we got to Frazier & Culle. Even Caldwell is a mystery to me. I mean when he was made the Colts HC, I was like, “WTF?”

Then when he was made the Lions HC, I was like, “Serious?”

I’m sure Colts fans came to be ok with it, but I doubt anyone cried when he left.

Same with the Lions even though they had some semblance of winning.

But to be looking at him for a third shot?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Yeah. I don’t know how we got to Frazier & Culle. Even Caldwell is a mystery to me. I mean when he was made the Colts HC, I was like, “WTF?”

Then when he was made the Lions HC, I was like, “Serious?”

I’m sure Colts fans came to be ok with it, but I doubt anyone cried when he left.

Same with the Lions even though they had some semblance of winning.

But to be looking at him for a third shot?
It makes no sense. Even with Caldwell, Glover Quinn spoke highly of him and say what you will, he made the playoffs 3 times in 5 years in Detroit. Frazier was terrible in Minnesota and so were his defenses which is telling

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Yeah. I don’t know how we got to Frazier & Culle. Even Caldwell is a mystery to me.
I think I have the answer to why two of these guys where chosen.

The Colts, seeking their second NFL championship in the last four years, were molded by Tony Dungy and are now coached by Jim Caldwell, two devout and openly Christian men.
[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_fc22e51d-9924-519e-9ee8-63e01ff1312c.html#:~:text=David Grunfeld/The Times-Picayune,his beliefs on his team.&text=The Colts, seeking their second,devout and openly Christian men[/URL]

Leslie Frazier is a deep man of faith and that guides him with all his decisions and how he approaches football and life.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think I have the answer to why two of these guys where chosen.

The Colts, seeking their second NFL championship in the last four years, were molded by Tony Dungy and are now coached by Jim Caldwell, two devout and openly Christian men.
[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_fc22e51d-9924-519e-9ee8-63e01ff1312c.html#:~:text=David Grunfeld/The Times-Picayune,his beliefs on his team.&text=The Colts, seeking their second,devout and openly Christian men[/URL]

Leslie Frazier is a deep man of faith and that guides him with all his decisions and how he approaches football and life.
Well I hope it works out for them.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Saleh was my #1 ..... Don't care for Eberfuls much.

I didn't think much of Allen before the season , every time I watch the Bills I think Daboll's making chicken salad outa chickenpoo .... What he got out of Allen this year with next to nothing for a running game was amazing. They just find a way to be productive.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Well....I would think that the color of his skin would be known prior to setting up the interview in the first place, no code words needed.
Many people do not interview well and this can be signs of nervousness. Reasons a candidate for HC is considered to not be a good interview can be for the following reasons;

1) Didn't research the team. Doesn't know stars currently on roster or obvious team needs moving forward (if any are publicized).
2) Didn't ask enough questions. A candidate who is interested in the direction and history of the team will ask a plethora of questions when given the opportunity to gauge whether or not they even want the job. Not asking questions is a sign that either A) They aren't too keen on the position or B) They have no idea what questions to ask.
3) He gave inconsistent answers or lied. Sometimes the candidate will only say what he thinks the interviewer wants to hear and later in the interview will accidentally contradict himself.
4) The candidate cannot explain what his direction would be for the team. His strategy, possible staff and what his ideal team would look like.
5) Candidate cannot explain why he would prefer this HC vacancy over other team vacancies (if there are others).
6) Sometimes it is as simple as the candidate not showing enough excitement or enthusiasm.
7) On the flip side of #6, sometimes the candidate can be too humble. It never hurts to sell yourself.
8) All too often a candidate will make the interview about them and not about the TEAM. Bottom line is, what can this candidate do for the team...that is what the interviewer is interested in most.
9) Sometimes a candidate will seem too determined and dead set in their own ways. For some front offices (especially those that like to add their own input to a teams roster and direction) this can be a problem.
10) Something simple like body language and appearance (yes..eating during the interview also) is important. 1st impressions are a thing.
11) Candidate did not build a rapport with interviewer. Sometimes it really is as simple as not being able to see eye to eye on basic fundamentals which can spell relationship problems later in the season.
12) Candidates strengths are not exactly what the team needs most at the moment.

There are many reasons why a possible HC would not interview well and many of them have nothing to do with skin color and more to do with the front office wanting to make the best possible choice to further their franchise and profit margin.
Excellent list. Once I was asked what I was responsible for in a past job. When asked this, there better be something. That could be added.
I am white but I think Dungy was a good coach. Skin color has no place on the list.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Saleh was my #1 ..... Don't care for Eberfuls much.

I didn't think much of Allen before the season , every time I watch the Bills I think Daboll's making chicken salad outa chickenpoo .... What he got out of Allen this year with next to nothing for a running game was amazing. They just find a way to be productive.
At least with Eberflus you can see what he created and how they've fared. How many high draft picks they have on that defense? He coached those guys up to become a good unit.

While you are right that there are a lot of things in an interview that can play into the hiring or not hiring of a head coach candidate, that still does not explain away the countless times minorities, "especially black candidates,"get passed over time after time. Far too many times top coaching jobs go to white candidates who are less qualified.

I HATE the many times the race card is used by people,but I do think in regards to sports and hiring leaders of men,there for sure seems to be a racist element at play. Be it conscious or subconsious I can not say,but too many times minorities have been passed over. The Rooney rule alone is not getting it done. More needs to happen to level the playing field so to speak.

I do wonder about EB and him being passed over as much as he has been. I understand there are questions in regards to his character but his checkered long ago past is just that, the long ago past. Many of those he has coached and those he has coached under have had nothing but good things to say about him. I doubt it is a matter of him being a poor interview with all the job openings that have come up. It also can not be the case with the other black candidates who interview yet continually get left out. Also there are plenty minorities deserving who don't even get as close as an interview. If an average white college head coach with little to no coaching experience as a pro can get a head coaching job in the NFL,than what is stopping teams from hiring more experienced black coaches? Black coaches who have done more than enough to pay their dues.

I am neither here nor there when it comes to EB but I think he has paid enough dues and has done more than enough to get a shot as a head coach in the NFL. It seems there is a reluctance to hire minorties,"especially black candidates,"and that has to change.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
70+% knows what is going on. Now, will Cal pull the trigger or show Watson the door? That is the 150mil question that only Cal and Easterby know. Highly unlikely that Nick is going to have a say on it

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Many of those he has coached and those he has coached under have had nothing but good things to say about him.
I agree. Well, mostly. Nine times out of ten, when asked people are going to say good things about you. But I do get your point.

Also there are plenty minorities deserving who don't even get as close as an interview.
Agree. I’m thinking maybe this is why the Texans are taking a hard look at Culley. Is he one of those guys that have slipped through the cracks?

Leslie Frazier, I don’t understand. Nothing against Frazier, but if he’s earned a 2nd chance, if we’re going to look at Caldwell a third time, why didn’t we request an interview with Bowles?

I am neither here nor there when it comes to EB but I think he has paid enough dues and has done more than enough to get a shot as a head coach in the NFL. It seems there is a reluctance to hire minorties,"especially black candidates,"and that has to change.
I’ve got a few questions about Bieniemy myself. I would have loved to have been in the room when they interviewed him. But this time, we seem dead set on hiring a minority HC. Still looks like the Texans may not be interested.

But, there are only 32 jobs in the NFL. & guys like Kubiak, Zimmer, Arians & I’m sure many others have had to wait a long time. Heck, guys like Jim Johnson & Dick Lebeau... have they ever been considered for a HC job?

No doubt about it, the Rooney Rule is a joke. & I don’t think it’s a conscious effort to overlook anyone. But I can’t imagine what they could do.

Max

Veteran
While you are right that there are a lot of things in an interview that can play into the hiring or not hiring of a head coach candidate, that still does not explain away the countless times minorities, "especially black candidates,"get passed over time after time. Far too many times top coaching jobs go to white candidates who are less qualified.

I HATE the many times the race card is used by people,but I do think in regards to sports and hiring leaders of men,there for sure seems to be a racist element at play. Be it conscious or subconsious I can not say,but too many times minorities have been passed over. The Rooney rule alone is not getting it done. More needs to happen to level the playing field so to speak.

I do wonder about EB and him being passed over as much as he has been. I understand there are questions in regards to his character but his checkered long ago past is just that, the long ago past. Many of those he has coached and those he has coached under have had nothing but good things to say about him. I doubt it is a matter of him being a poor interview with all the job openings that have come up. It also can not be the case with the other black candidates who interview yet continually get left out. Also there are plenty minorities deserving who don't even get as close as an interview. If an average white college head coach with little to no coaching experience as a pro can get a head coaching job in the NFL,than what is stopping teams from hiring more experienced black coaches? Black coaches who have done more than enough to pay their dues.

In the last 10 years, 52 of the 320 NFL head coaching positions were held by black men. That's 16.25% of the head coaching opportunities while black folks make up 13.4% of the population. Folks from every ethnicity get passed over.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
In the last 10 years, 52 of the 320 NFL head coaching positions were held by black men. That's 16.25% of the head coaching opportunities while black folks make up 13.4% of the population. Folks from every ethnicity get passed over.
Yep,

Also Cal must have not adhered to the Good Ole Boys way of thinking. He was hell bent on hiring a minority candidate from the beginning. He wasn't really ever considering a white guy for the HC position.

I just hope he hires a guy that can build a great staff and can be successful for a long time. I have my doubts because how long does a 60 something yr old HC really want to coach in the NFL. It looks to me as if the new HC will be a bridge HC while the team rebuilds after it trades DW4.

Max

Veteran
It looks to me as if the new HC will be a bridge HC while the team rebuilds after it trades DW4.
Is your thinking that they won't be able to get the caliber coach they want without Watson? Why not get the coach they want now?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Yep,

Also Cal must have not adhered to the Good Ole Boys way of thinking. He was hell bent on hiring a minority candidate from the beginning. He wasn't really ever considering a white guy for the HC position.

I just hope he hires a guy that can build a great staff and can be successful for a long time. I have my doubts because how long does a 60 something yr old HC really want to coach in the NFL. It looks to me as if the new HC will be a bridge HC while the team rebuilds after it trades DW4.
Think about this, they never even interviewed the guy who calls the plays and sets the game plan ( Roman) . Instead, they interviewed the pass game coordinator? Makes 0 sense except for Texans management.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Think about this, they never even interviewed the guy who calls the plays and sets the game plan ( Roman) . Instead, they interviewed the pass game coordinator? Makes 0 sense except for Texans management.
Far as I’m concerned I’m glad they didn’t hire a play caller. For the first time in our history maybe we have a HC & not a Coordinator playing HC

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Is your thinking that they won't be able to get the caliber coach they want without Watson? Why not get the coach they want now?
My thinking is for atleast the next 2-3 yrs there's going to be alot of losing either with DW4 or with a rebuild. The Culley hire makes me think DW4's gone.

PS. I also will bet y'all Culley is working for cheap in NFL HC terms. It's a legacy handed down from father to son in hiring 1st time HC's. Hopefully they will pay asst coaches well so a great staff can be assembled, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They're grooming Tim Kelly to be a head coach. Whether or not EB was going to get the job or not, I'm certain he wasn't going to hang on to Tim Kelly and he probably said as much.
If he told them that he's a pretty smart guy.

Cant wait for the 2 yd and a cloud of dust offense next yr.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Match the dots. They blocked Kelly from interviewing for a oc position because it was a lateral move. Why not let the incoming coach decide the fate of the coaches?
First, we're speculating Kelly will be OC. Second we're speculating Brady wouldn't keep Kelly as his OC. Third we're speculating there weren't a dozen other more pressing reasons Brady would not have taken this job.

Your argument falls flat when you consider that black players make up most of the players playing in the NFL. You take into account your 16.25% of coaches are black but leave out the number of black GM's and other upper management positions

Sept. 15, 2020, 10:32 AM CDT
By Scott Stump
This article originally ran on Today.com.
As fans celebrate the return of the NFL, Black coaches are hoping their biggest victory will come after the season is over.

The NFL’s 32 teams began the season in full on Sunday with only three Black head coaches and two Black general managers in a league where the players are roughly 70% Black. Of the five head coaching jobs that were open in the offseason, none went to Black coaches, and one went to a coach of color, Washington’s Ron Rivera, who is Latino.
Given a national climate in which protests against racial injustice have been at the forefront and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has openly acknowledged the league’s diversity shortcomings, the hiring cycle in the 2021 offseason looks to be one of the most scrutinized in NFL history when it comes to whether or not teams bring in Black head coaches and general managers. Continue.....

hs://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/most-nfl-players-are-black-so-why-aren-t-there-n1240131ttp

I agree. Well, mostly. Nine times out of ten, when asked people are going to say good things about you. But I do get your point.

Agree. I’m thinking maybe this is why the Texans are taking a hard look at Culley. Is he one of those guys that have slipped through the cracks?

Leslie Frazier, I don’t understand. Nothing against Frazier, but if he’s earned a 2nd chance, if we’re going to look at Caldwell a third time, why didn’t we request an interview with Bowles?

I’ve got a few questions about Bieniemy myself. I would have loved to have been in the room when they interviewed him. But this time, we seem dead set on hiring a minority HC. Still looks like the Texans may not be interested.

But, there are only 32 jobs in the NFL. & guys like Kubiak, Zimmer, Arians & I’m sure many others have had to wait a long time. Heck, guys like Jim Johnson & Dick Lebeau... have they ever been considered for a HC job?

No doubt about it, the Rooney Rule is a joke. & I don’t think it’s a conscious effort to overlook anyone. But I can’t imagine what they could do.
I agree about your point in regards to people being put on the spot and people saying nice things about who it is their being asked about.

However it seems to me those describing EB are being honest and not just saying those things because they are being put on the spot. I know there is no way of knowing for sure. However, I tend to believe what people say about others when they go into detail about the things they admire, like and respect about the person in question. That may just be me though.

Max

Veteran
Your argument falls flat when you consider that black players make up most of the players playing in the NFL. You take into account your 16.25% of coaches are black but leave out the number of black GM's and other upper management positions

By Scott Stump
As fans celebrate the return of the NFL, Black coaches are hoping their biggest victory will come after the season is over.

The NFL’s 32 teams began the season in full on Sunday with only three Black head coaches and two Black general managers in a league where the players are roughly 70% Black. Of the five head coaching jobs that were open in the offseason, none went to Black coaches, and one went to a coach of color, Washington’s Ron Rivera, who is Latino.
Given a national climate in which protests against racial injustice have been at the forefront and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has openly acknowledged the league’s diversity shortcomings, the hiring cycle in the 2021 offseason looks to be one of the most scrutinized in NFL history when it comes to whether or not teams bring in Black head coaches and general managers. Continue.....

hs://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/most-nfl-players-are-black-so-why-aren-t-there-n1240131ttp
The lack of logic in this is breathtaking. Owners overemploy black players by 57% and they're racist because they only overemploy black coaches by 3%. I wonder how all the other minorities feel about that? Complete absurdity.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
My question isn't "why would teams hire him?". My question is "why does the sports media continually prop this guy up while skirting around his extensive legal issues?".

- Arrested twice in college for getting into fights / altercations.

- Pulled over twice in college while speeding with suspended license. Arrested after skipping court date.

- Arrested in the NFL after choking parking lot attendant. Also received public urination and later a DUI.

- Was one of the coaches at University of Colorado linked to sex scandal and was banned from university (his alma mater).

Now I believe in second chances, but why is all of this being swept under the rug like it never happened? It's part of the evaluation process whether anyone likes it or not.

Instead sports media plays the race card every time his name comes up. Baffling.

Now add onto all of this that everyone is acutely aware that this is Andy Reid's offense and that EB has much less control over it than most OC's.

Still an interesting prospect with that KC connection, but put the entire picture together and I fail to see "can't miss hire" here.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Why do you think the other 5 teams that interviewed Bieniemy picked someone else? What do you think the Texans should have seen that they didn't?
Don’t know, but hearing talks with the Texans broke down when EB asked for partial roster control. Whatever that means.

Blinders

Practice Squad

By Scott Stump

So then should more white players and players of other race and ethnicity not being represented be drafted to become players in the NFL in your opinion?

If the best 100 players in the NFL all quit tomorrow would you still watch games in September ?

Because as we know Football and all sports in that matter are a form of entertainment and does it really matter who is playing in the game.....

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So... The Texans didn't think Bieniemy was the best candidate & they didn't hire because they believe DeShaun Watson wanted them to.

/thread closed

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
My question isn't "why would teams hire him?". My question is "why does the sports media continually prop this guy up while skirting around his extensive legal issues?".

- Arrested twice in college for getting into fights / altercations.

- Pulled over twice in college while speeding with suspended license. Arrested after skipping court date.

- Arrested in the NFL after choking parking lot attendant. Also received public urination and later a DUI.

- Was one of the coaches at University of Colorado linked to sex scandal and was banned from university (his alma mater).

Now I believe in second chances, but why is all of this being swept under the rug like it never happened? It's part of the evaluation process whether anyone likes it or not.

Instead sports media plays the race card every time his name comes up. Baffling.

Now add onto all of this that everyone is acutely aware that this is Andy Reid's offense and that EB has much less control over it than most OC's.

Still an interesting prospect with that KC connection, but put the entire picture together and I fail to see "can't miss hire" here.
You just don't have an agenda that you have to view the world thru ..... It's fairly easy to see why teams wouldn't want him based upon his past .... but that doesn't generate clicks / views like playing the race card does .... imagine how many victims it creates.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Story on how Mahomes hates/hated Bieniemy and wanted him gone, since pulled down by authors but captured before the "cleansing" (Therefore, posting entire article, except for excluding all but one picture) .

****************************************************************************************************************************************,

How a season-long rift between Patrick Mahomes and Eric Bieniemy ruined the AFC Championship

By the Chiefs Kingdom Editorial Board
Setting the table:

• This is not a normal story from the KC Star or better publications.
  • The length of this article is intended to provide context and insight.
  • Patrick Mahomes did not throw the game.
  • The NFL did not order the Chiefs to throw the game.
The game of football is played with the highest level of passion possible, an energy most simply don’t understand. But realize this: what occurred on the Chiefs sideline and in the locker room during the AFC Championship wasn’t a brief spat or a heat-of-the-moment flare up.
It was instead the culmination of several issues that all came to a head at the worst time possible.
We ask that you put away your preconceived notions about national reporters caring about Kansas City. This story will not be reported on because of the optics involved.
In regards to our sources:
Most of you reading this understand where the Chiefs Kingdom Editorial Board comes from — the twitter handle of @1_Chiefskingdom, originally known as “Save Our Chiefs.”
That account is run by a few people, but the owner is someone who has covered the team in the background since 1997, first on KFFL.com, then NFLScoop.com and eventually to Draftsharks.com.
The “Save Our Chiefs” movement, the single greatest fan revolt in sports fandom history, rekindled the owner’s connections to those in NFL circles. Chiefs employees fed us info, gave us insights to the hiring of Andy Reid and much, much more. Since, we have taken a step back, only reporting sporadically. We don’t have a podcast, a website needing clicks, or a need to generate profit. We simply share what we know for the enjoyment of Chiefs Kingdom.
We get asked about our sources. Let me tell you how they come about: The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry. They control 100 percent of the narrative. Nothing is left to chance, except the police blotter. Even then, they can control the longevity of something in the media.
But when it comes to the team level, people will talk. And in the case of the Chiefs most recent playoff loss, they are.
Based upon information provided directly to us, there is a narrative being pushed not only by the Chiefs, but at least two high-profile players. There is nothing wrong with that — this is how the off-the-field game is played in the NFL.
Ted Crews, Executive Vice President of Communications for the Chiefs, is the main handler of information both public and private, and does a masterful job of controlling information released to local reporters and national insiders. So when things like “Andy Reid Meeting with Eric Bieniemy” come out, it’s because the team, or agents (or sometimes both), wanted the news out. Sub-tier employees of the Chiefs also have access to this information.
There are several people at One Arrowhead Drive who want a certain narrative pushed out so a different one can be ignored. The Chiefs are wary of the optics of separating from Eric Bieniemy. Technically, they already have, as Bieniemy has no contract with the club and is a free agent. Given the Brian Flores lawsuit, and perceptions of racist behavior towards Bieniemy, the Chiefs simply don’t want to be in the crosshairs of the same controversy right now.
There is no racism involved with Bieniemy not getting a head coaching job. When you interview for a role 15 times and come away empty handed, it’s time to look at the man in the mirror. Bieniemy has rushed his interviews, been incomplete in thought and structure and has lacked a true plan that a billionaire owner can get behind.
The back-channel communication on Bieniemy is simply not good and it has zero to do with race. Case in point, the NFL begged and pleaded with the Saints ownership group to “strongly consider” Bieniemy. In the end, the team felt Dennis Allen’s plan and continuity was more important than Bieniemy’s ideas and the NFL’s pleadings.
So what now? Bieniemy is a free agent. He will meet with the Chiefs and talk through options. They have held initial talks with another round coming soon. However, considering what has happened, and what you’re about to read, it all boils down to..
The Chiefs and Eric Bieniemy are not meant for each other.

To understand this, travel back in time to Super Bowl LV. The Chiefs were fresh off a 31–9 thumping due to their Dollar General-style duct tape offensive line. Mahomes ran for 500+ lateral yards escaping rushers, and the Chiefs were exposed.
Walking out of the stadium that night, Bieniemy’s contract with the Chiefs had expired, which was a well publicized story leading up to the Super Bowl. Bieniemy was passed over for head coaching opportunities. Whispers started to circulate about his deficiencies as a coach. Players, for the most part, remained silent.
Between the Super Bowl and the draft, Bieniemy quietly signed a one-year deal for just over $1 million. The Chiefs did not release details, Kansas City news didn’t really report on it.
According to our source, when training camp arrived, Bieniemy was different. He didn’t have the same energy he was previously known for. He was short and temperamental with a lot of people behind closed doors.
Flash back to August 2020. Bieniemy made this statement about Patrick Mahomes:

There was nothing playful about this quote. According to our source, Bieniemy disliked the dynamics Mahomes brought to the offense because he felt it hurt his chances to become a head coach. His statement may have come across as a joke, but as with any joke told, there is always some truth hidden in the delivery.
The 2020 season featured some minor disagreements between Mahomes and Bieniemy, that are at times just part of playing in the NFL. It was nothing out of the ordinary.
However, the situation began to head down a slippery slope as Super Bowl LV preparations went south. Bieniemy was interviewing for a head-coaching job while the team was trying to navigate the game plan and offset their offensive line problems.
Mahomes and Reid, according to our source, had a good plan in place. Bieniemy didn’t like it. He made several changes, and he had the power to do so in his contract, because he called the plays in 2020, as he did in 2021.
One month after the Super Bowl loss, the decision was made to bring back Bieniemy on a quiet one-year deal, while hoping he would receive the head-coaching opportunity he had worked for. Everyone was on board with the game plan.
Focus on the optics. It’s easier to lose a coach publicly to a promotion than having to potentially fire a high profile coach. Optics matter, a lot, to these owners.
Then the Chiefs started poorly in 2021. Mahomes struggled. Eyebrows were raised. The national media dug in, smelling blood.
The reality of the situation: schemes were misaligned, several defensive backs were not getting along with defensive backs coach Sam Madison, and the Chiefs had lingering injuries.
And then the biggest snowball of all started rolling again: the hidden feud between Bieniemy and Mahomes.

In Week 3, during a midweek meeting between Bieniemy, QB coach Mike Kafka and Mahomes, Bieniemy laid into his star quarterback for no reason. Both Kafka and Mahomes pushed back on Bieniemy.
After this heated argument, which was not normal, Reid stepped in. Following the loss to the Bills, Kafka was quietly given a greater role in planning the Chiefs passing game. Kafka is known for being creative offensively at Arrowhead — his innovations are often called the “Mike Files.” He came up with “Rose Bowl Right,” the play the Chiefs ran for a key first down in Super Bowl LIV.
So at this point, Bieniemy’s role was adjusted, but Reid continued to let him call plays, once the Chiefs opening script was exhausted. This was in Bieniemy’s contract.
The changes led to the Chiefs having a run of success. Then, before the Chiefs-Raiders game in Las Vegas, Reid told production officials to avoid sideline shots of Bieniemy. Something again had happened in that week of prep leading up to the game.
Nobody will go on record as to what, other than to say “something happened.” But if you go back and re-watch the games this year, Bieniemy’s camera time went down compared to years past.
Since then, numerous fans who have attended games at Arrowhead and on the road have asked: “What’s with Bieniemy and Mahomes? They are beefing on the sidelines.”
The answer:
Mahomes and Bieniemy do not get along.
For anyone questioning Mahomes at this point, consider the following insight from a family member of a high profile Chiefs player:

We have heard from multiple Chiefs staff, including some who stand on the sidelines, that Reid, Mahomes and Bieniemy have disagreed over gameplans and strategy all year, as well as far back to late 2020.
The same sources have indicated to us that the reason Bieniemy doesn’t have a head-coaching job is because of his temperament and unwillingness to accept feedback from his players.
This came up with the Houston Texans and the New Orleans Saints. Broncos GM George Paton asked Bieniemy point blank in his interview about a situation he saw while in Kansas City earlier this season. The answer from Bieniemy eliminated him from job contention.
How did all of this come to a head in the AFC Championship?

On the last play before halftime, three feet and nearly two years of frustration wiped out a chance to secure Kansas City’s third straight Super Bowl berth. Poor communication, stubbornness and lack of game control all came together at the worst possible time.
Players have to execute the plays, but coaches also have a job to do.
Bieniemy failed in this situation, and everyone in the NFL knows it.
A timeline of events.
(1) (0:09–2nd) Timeout #1 by CIN at 00:09.
Bieniemy tells Mahomes he has a timeout left and they had five play calls lined up, two of which were runs that were never sent in.
The first play failed. Bieniemy then told Mahomes he had one timeout left, and to run play X, or take a field goal.
The narrative that Bieniemy only wanted a field goal is 100 percent false. Bieniemy called the play that resulted in a doomed pass to Hill, not Reid.
Mahomes then tried to call timeout, and the clock expired.
Bieniemy called the entire game. While Reid can chime in at any point and toss out a call, Bieniemy had full play-calling authority via his contract.
(2) Bieniemy and Mahomes get into it at half time, in the tunnel and in the locker room. There was in-the-face yelling before Reid and the other coaches stepped in. It happened again after the game. Any remaining confidence or trust in the relationship was broken at that point.
(3) Anyone who has played QB at a higher level will say the headset can’t be chaotic. Usually only one coach has access, but this goes unchecked by the NFL.
Unfortunately, those in-game moments where Mahomes is squeezing his helmet and receiving calls late, is due to multiple voices on the hot mic. This happened multiple times in 2021, and during the AFC Championship, it was chaotic, particularly before the final snap prior to halftime.
Nobody can say exactly when this happened but at one point during the AFC Championship, the following exchange took place after Bienemy called a play.

(4) A high-profile offensive lineman snapped and spoke at halftime. This player is usually quiet, so his words have resonated with several high-ranking members of the Chiefs brass the past three weeks.
(5) Bieniemy called the entire second half, calling multiple times for Clyde Edwards-Helaire to get the ball instead of Jerick McKinnon. Bieniemy called for Demarcus Robinson to get the ball in overtime, over Mecole Hardman. Both passes fell incomplete.
Bieniemy ignored feedback from Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Hardman and McKinnon. Bieniemy had his “my way or the highway” moment calling plays in the second half.
At the end of regulation, with the Chiefs needing a touchdown to win, Bieniemy called at least two plays that the team hadn’t practiced in three months. It led to confusion across the board, from line blocking assignments, to routes, to Mahomes looking shaken.
Re-watch that series. Mahomes didn’t throw the game. Bieniemy literally created mass confusion in the most pivotal moment of the game.
(6) Since the AFC Championship, Super-Agent Leigh Steinberg and Bob Lamonte (Reid’s agent) have done a lot of talking about Bieniemy and Mahomes. This keeps the line of communication between Mahomes and Reid clear and consistent, but at the same time players are speaking up and trying to handle this situation via the back of the clubhouse.
(7) Travis Kelce agreed to be the Face of the Chiefs during the Super Bowl but he had as many as six issues with Bieniemy during the fall.

So what happens next?
There is an outside possibility that Bieniemy could re-sign with the Chiefs for one year. He could seek other opportunities or take a year off.
Bieniemy has an image problem to work on, due to prospective owners noticing his temperament, the way he ignores his players, and his past criminal issues. The latter is a big issue in the eyes of many.
It is clearly in the best interests of both parties to go their separate ways at this point. For Bieniemy to return, it means issues with Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Hardman and others would have to be addressed to a satisfactory level.
Reid could turn to an old friend in Matt Nagy, who will actually check Andy and collaborate with the offensive coaching staff and listen to his players.
People want to lay blame on the players, but that isn’t always what should happen. As one of our good friends said to us today, “You can have all the soldiers in the world, but if you don’t know how to lead them, you’re screwed.”
Leadership reflects attitude and the 2021 Chiefs were clearly a victim of Bieniemy’s poor attitude.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220217090918/https://medium.com/m/signin?actionUrl=https://medium.com/_/vote/p/35481f116513&operation=register&redirect=https://ckedboard.medium.com/how-a-season-long-rift-between-patrick-mahomes-and-eric-bieniemy-ruined-the-afc-championship-35481f116513&user=Chiefs+Kingdom+Editorial+Board&userId=9d978856e874&source=post_actions_footer-----35481f116513---------------------clap_footer--------------

Last edited by a moderator: