Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Poll: What kind of coach?

What kind of head coach will be hired? (realistically, not what you world like)

• An administrator who knows very little about football

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To me I would prefer a leader obviously, someone who can be paired with a GM they align with, one who can poach coaches right away for OC and DC and to build a supporting staff, and an offensive minded guy. To me the NFL is a copycat league and if we go defense, we will be turning over OC’s quite frequently (assuming we get good ones who create success). I hate the thought of that.

I'm thinking they will hire an offensive coordinator from somewhere.

I think this has been our biggest problem. We hire coordinators to be coaches & they get here & act like coordinators. (I can't really say about Capers, I didn't pay attention to the Texans back then).

I understand that's the way it's done, Sean Payton calls his offense & hires someone to coach the defense. But our guys have to spend soooooo much time getting their offense to work that they're not (imo) seeing the big picture of the game. They're trying to see it through the QBs eyes.

I mean, how long was STs ignored trying to fix the offense or the defense?

A motivator who still considers himself a student of the game. He also values the concept of surrounding himself with the best possible coordinators b/c he has the eye for talented coaches. He's not a micromanager but an indivual who can let them run their sides of the ball while building them up by example. Those coordinators execute their plan and coach up the position coaches by example. Bottom line....the HC has to be a top-flite motivator who personality is accepted by the FO, coaches, and players.

I think this has been our biggest problem. We hire coordinators to be coaches & they get here & act like coordinators. (I can't really say about Capers, I didn't pay attention to the Texans back then).

I understand that's the way it's done, Sean Payton calls his offense & hires someone to coach the defense. But our guys have to spend soooooo much time getting their offense to work that they're not (imo) seeing the big picture of the game. They're trying to see it through the QBs eyes.

I mean, how long was STs ignored trying to fix the offense or the defense?

This doesn't really hold much water. This is like ranting that we have to eat.

Head coaches don't just spring forth fully formed. Almost all head coaches were coordinators at one time or another and those few that weren't were position coaches. Sure, they may become college head coaches and then transition to the NFL (as OB did) but they have to come up through the ranks and that normally means as coordinators.

Capers was a pretty good pick at the time. He had extensive experience as a defensive coordinator, but more importantly, he'd had success as a head coach in the NFL taking an expansion team (the Panthers) to the playoffs in their second year in the league and winning a playoff game.

Most guys with head coaching experience in the NFL got canned for reasons and very few guys have been successful head coaches with multiple teams. The only coach who has won a SB and then come back with other teams and been successful was Parcells, but he still couldn't take a second team to the Super Bowl. There have been more coaches who've made it to the SB and lost, and then come back with a second team and won. So if you're going to base your criteria on that, then you should be looking at SB losing head coaches guys like Lovie Smith, Jim Caldwell, and Ken Whisenhunt... none of whom I'd want as my HC.

Personally, I'm just going to sit back and watch this unfold and try to enjoy the insanity of the process.

I prefer an offensive guy. I would say balanced, but the head coach has to come from somewhere. They are either going to have spent most of, if not all of their time on one side of the ball or the other.

I think if you look at almost every Head coach ever they were known for their prowess on one side of the ball or the other before becoming a head coach.

That said, give me an offensive guy. With the way the league is, being able to put up tons of points is very valuable. Some games and some teams you just won’t be able to stop them from scoring.

We have a highly paid qb. That’s where a ton of your resources are allocated. We need to get that cranked up in a hurry.

That said, I’m not going to complain about this hire. I’ll give whoever it is a chance and full support (initially) just like every other head coach they’ve brought in.

This doesn't really hold much water. This is like ranting that we have to eat.

Head coaches don't just spring forth fully formed. Almost all head coaches were coordinators at one time or another and those few that weren't were position coaches.
I acknowledged that in my post, the point of which was that when our new coach gets here, I hope he embraces his role as HC.

Hopefully, the "good coaching" we saw in the OC, DC, or STC is sprinkled over every aspect of the team.

I would at least put Mike Holmgren in that list. He took the Packers to 2 Super Bowls (winning SB 31 in 1996) & one NFCCG. He turned around & went to the Super Bowl with the Seahawks in 2005.

Good point. That's what I get for doing that off the top of my head. :)

It is, however, rare to have that much success.

A motivator who still considers himself a student of the game. He also values the concept of surrounding himself with the best possible coordinators b/c he has the eye for talented coaches. He's not a micromanager but an indivual who can let them run their sides of the ball while building them up by example. Those coordinators execute their plan and coach up the position coaches by example. Bottom line....the HC has to be a top-flite motivator who personality is accepted by the FO, coaches, and players.
In other words an administrator?

I want to vote for someone who is balanced but frankly that isn't what we have seen have success in this modern NFL. Look at your top coaches, Belichick, Reid, Payton, Tomlin, etc. They are all either offense guys that just try to have their defense good enough to give the offense a breather or defense guys that just need the offense to score some points and then they shut down the other team. So with that in mind I voted for an offense guy because that is where we have invested the most resources now so that is what we are going to war with. Honestly though I think on paper the Texans would be better served with a defense guy because the offense is good enough to put points on the board without to much help. However, even though on paper it might be better in reality I don't think it would because our defense is in such shambles that if we have to rebuild that to win games it would take 3-5 years just to even start to be ready. Better that we try and get it "good enough" and win with scoring.

I want to vote for someone who is balanced but frankly that isn't what we have seen have success in this modern NFL. Look at your top coaches, Belichick, Reid, Payton, Tomlin, etc. They are all either offense guys that just try to have their defense good enough to give the offense a breather or defense guys that just need the offense to score some points and then they shut down the other team. So with that in mind I voted for an offense guy because that is where we have invested the most resources now so that is what we are going to war with. Honestly though I think on paper the Texans would be better served with a defense guy because the offense is good enough to put points on the board without to much help. However, even though on paper it might be better in reality I don't think it would because our defense is in such shambles that if we have to rebuild that to win games it would take 3-5 years just to even start to be ready. Better that we try and get it "good enough" and win with scoring.
Tomlin and Belichik are well-rounded coaches, with beginning on the defensive side of the ball.

Tomlin and Belichik are well-rounded coaches, with beginning on the defensive side of the ball.

Are they or is it that they have had Brady and Big Ben and were smart enough to know what they didn't know. I'm not saying they don't have any idea how offense works but its very clear that their comfort zone is defense. People always talk about the Brady and Gronk and Big Ben and AB combos but both teams have had some stout defenses to. Maybe not 2000 Ravens or 2015 Broncos but more than enough to give the offense some breathing room and win more than a couple of games. Fact is all our money is now in the offense which isn't by itself a bad thing but it will be if we don't get a HC that knows what to do with that offense.

Are they or is it that they have had Brady and Big Ben and were smart enough to know what they didn't know. I'm not saying they don't have any idea how offense works but its very clear that their comfort zone is defense. People always talk about the Brady and Gronk and Big Ben and AB combos but both teams have had some stout defenses to. Maybe not 2000 Ravens or 2015 Broncos but more than enough to give the offense some breathing room and win more than a couple of games. Fact is all our money is now in the offense which isn't by itself a bad thing but it will be if we don't get a HC that knows what to do with that offense.
Tomlin was a wide receiver as a player and actually had two stints as receiver coach intertwine with job as DB coach in college; that's why I said he was well-rounded.

Belichick went a step further; he even spent time on ST and also as a receiver coach first.
And believe it or not, he played at C and TE in college

Tomlin was a wide receiver as a player and actually had two stints as receiver coach intertwine with job as DB coach in college; that's why I said he was well-rounded.

Belichick went a step further; he even spent time on ST and also as a receiver coach first.
And believe it or not, he played at C and TE in college

Tomlin hasn't coached anything related to offense since 98 and even in college you can't really say he coached on the offense side enough to say he coached it.

His coaching career began in 1995 as the wide receiver coach at Virginia Military Institute under head coach Bill Stewart. Tomlin spent the 1996 season as a graduate assistant at the University of Memphis, where he worked with the defensive backs and special teams. Following a brief stint on the University of Tennessee at Martin's coaching staff, Tomlin was hired by Arkansas State University in 1997 to coach its defensive backs. Tomlin stayed there for two seasons, before being hired as defensive backs coach by the University of Cincinnati.

Thats like me calling myself a plumber because I replace a toilet and sink.

As for Belichick he last had anything to do with anything not defense related in 85. I know he played C and TE in college but A: that was a very long time ago and B: that doesn't mean he understood how to coach it. I'm not saying they aren't great coaches, they are, but calling them well rounded because they dipped their toes into something not solely defense related is a stretch. Almost every long term coach has dealt with both sides of the ball on some level but what makes them an offense or defense coach is what they most focus on and are most comfortable with.

Give Watson the keys to the offense so the HC can focus on defense.

I absolutely hate this idea. Not a knock on Watson but no high level QB has ever had the keys to the offense. Even Manning, who had the most control of just about any QB, didn't call his own plays. Aaron Rodgers did an interview where he talked about this and said any QB that says they call their own plays is a liar. I'm all for Watson having the ability to call an audible and even having some say in what play is called but completely turning it over to him is a big no.

Tomlin hasn't coached anything related to offense since 98 and even in college you can't really say he coached on the offense side enough to say he coached it.

His coaching career began in 1995 as the wide receiver coach at Virginia Military Institute under head coach Bill Stewart. Tomlin spent the 1996 season as a graduate assistant at the University of Memphis, where he worked with the defensive backs and special teams. Following a brief stint on the University of Tennessee at Martin's coaching staff, Tomlin was hired by Arkansas State University in 1997 to coach its defensive backs. Tomlin stayed there for two seasons, before being hired as defensive backs coach by the University of Cincinnati.

Thats like me calling myself a plumber because I replace a toilet and sink.

As for Belichick he last had anything to do with anything not defense related in 85. I know he played C and TE in college but A: that was a very long time ago and B: that doesn't mean he understood how to coach it. I'm not saying they aren't great coaches, they are, but calling them well rounded because they dipped their toes into something not solely defense related is a stretch. Almost every long term coach has dealt with both sides of the ball on some level but what makes them an offense or defense coach is what they most focus on and are most comfortable with.
Tomlin played receiver both in HS and college and had two stints as receiver coach (not one).
I don't think you can ever forget those things you learn for at least 7 years.

As for Belichik, I just remember reading this some time ago (and it's not the only thing I had read about him regarding the offensive side of the ball).

I absolutely hate this idea. Not a knock on Watson but no high level QB has ever had the keys to the offense. Even Manning, who had the most control of just about any QB, didn't call his own plays. Aaron Rodgers did an interview where he talked about this and said any QB that says they call their own plays is a liar. I'm all for Watson having the ability to call an audible and even having some say in what play is called but completely turning it over to him is a big no.

He's the Houston Watson's turn him loose

Id prefer a coach that wears his heart on his sleeve to one that wears his keister on his chin.

Oh... and no more Patriots.... Id like to see that experiment end.

Last edited:
HC...

Dungy, Hoodie, Laundry, Jimmy Johnson, Shula, WALSH...

To name a few that if you can clone how they coach and motivate you are on to something.

Two of the three longest tenured head coaches in the NFL today ....

Belichick - 2000
Sean Payton - 2006
Tomlin - 2007
Pete Carroll - 2010
Carroll is an interesting case.
He played QB, WR, and DB in HS before moving to safety in college.
As a graduate assistant, he was in charge of both the receivers and DBs.
He was briefly the OC at a small college.
After that, he became entranched on the defensive side.

As long as he looks cool

mike-tomlin.jpg

Back