Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Players you THINK the Texans will be targeting

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
This is not a thread about players you like or players you want necessarily. But a thread on who you think the Texans will target based on what we know about the Texans and their personnel philosophy.

I’ll start...

I think their target at 23 is Greg Little to be their franchise LT. He has all the measurables they look for in terms of size/length and the first team all SEC pedigree. He has his warts and some people may think he can be had in the 2nd but can’t help but think this is who they want.

Going off rumors, I think they are looking at Dillard, Williams, Jacobs and a few others. Will depend on whose available and how the draft is flowing. If OT's are flying off the board as some speculate the value may be at CB, IDL or RB. All of which Gaine has told us are needs

At 23....Gaine trades back and picks Dalton Risner with his 1st pick in RD1 or RD2 depending on the landing spot after the trade.

I think the brass got Khalil in the event Davenport struggles in year three.....therefore, might be hesitant to put another LT on the roster. Henderson and RT is the easier target to draft for since Henderson could be moved to swing tackle if the rookie beats him.

Going off rumors, I think they are looking at Dillard, Williams, Jacobs and a few others. Will depend on whose available and how the draft is flowing. If OT's are flying off the board as some speculate the value may be at CB, IDL or RB. All of which Gaine has told us are needs

Knowing how good the 2020 RB class is going to be, I sure hope Gaine doesn't spend a 1st on a RB this yr. Jacobs is good but I dont see him as a 1st rd pick in a Barkley/Elliott type RB class.

Knowing how good the 2020 RB class is going to be, I sure hope Gaine doesn't spend a 1st on a RB this yr. Jacobs is good but I dont see him as a 1st rd pick in a Barkley/Elliott type RB class.

Too me RB's are too unpredictable... that's why AF was UDFA and what's his name a high round one guy

I know next to nothing about Jacobs other than it's said the Texans like him. Would they consider him to be the value pick at 23? IDK

This is not a thread about players you like or players you want necessarily. But a thread on who you think the Texans will target based on what we know about the Texans and their personnel philosophy.

I’ll start...

I think their target at 23 is Greg Little to be their franchise LT. He has all the measurables they look for in terms of size/length and the first team all SEC pedigree. He has his warts and some people may think he can be had in the 2nd but can’t help but think this is who they want.

Some of the luster has fallen off of Little's star. But I still like him and would be happy with him at 23. Whether I picked him would depend on who was on the board. For instance if Greedy was on the board I would pick Greedy.

I consider Little/Baker to be in play at 23 if one of the top guys doesn't fall.

Which is why he might be available at #23 rather than gone at #2 or #4.

At 23....Gaine trades back and picks Dalton Risner with his 1st pick in RD1 or RD2 depending on the landing spot after the trade.

I think the brass got Khalil in the event Davenport struggles in year three.....therefore, might be hesitant to put another LT on the roster. Henderson and RT is the easier target to draft for since Henderson could be moved to swing tackle if the rookie beats him.

Risner is my favorite of the possible OT options on the board. He has the versatility the Texans covet. But I give Little the edge on Texans board due to superior measurables (size/length).

"Experts" have him going to Buffalo @ #9, but he would fit in nicely here. If we get either one it would probably signal a move on Clowney.

Don't know a thing about it all, just fun speculating.

:coffee:

Gaine has said IDL was a priority, but no mention of Edge. But yeah, either would be nice, but one over the other with current make up of the roster

Some of the luster has fallen off of Little's star. But I still like him and would be happy with him at 23. Whether I picked him would depend on who was on the board. For instance if Greedy was on the board I would pick Greedy.

I consider Little/Baker to be in play at 23 if one of the top guys doesn't fall.

Greedy/Baker both options at 23. Proven pedigree along with solid measurables. Give Greedy edge due to superior size but Baker can be a pest.

That said I think the Texans are going to be locked in on OL at 23 even if they trade back a bit to let the board settle and acquire an extra pick.

Depends on if they trade Clowney.
I'm gonna throw the gauntlet down here SteelB and issue you a challenge.
You are always criticizing the Texans for being too timid in free agency therefor here it is:
Do the Texans trade Clowney this year on or before this months Draft, and if they pull off the trade what will they receive in Draft picks for Clowney ?

Looking back at the 1st round picks in the O'Brien era, I would speculate the player the Texans takes will:

1) Be a Junior
2) Be from a Power 5 school (or Notre Dame)
3) Test as a plus athlete for his position
4) Have no character red flags

Player I think that will meet these criteria are:

Jawaan Taylor - OT - Florida (trade up)
Greedy Williams - CB - LSU (trade up)
Brian Burns - Edge - Florida State (@23)
Dexter Lawrence - NT - Clemson (@23)
Erik McCoy - C - Texas A&M (trade back)
Trayvon Mullen - CB - Clemson (trade back)

Looking at my crystal ball, I say the Texans trade up with the NY Giants getting pick #17 for pick# 23, pick #86, and the Texans 2020 4th. With the #17th pick, the Texans select Andraez "Greedy" Williams, CB - LSU.

59c7087d30467.image.jpg

You are always criticizing the Texans for being too timid in free agency therefor here it is:
Do the Texans trade Clowney this year on or before this months Draft, and if they pull off the trade what will they receive in Draft picks for Clowney ?

If they are smart they will trade for draft picks in 2020 since they aren't winning a SB anyways. But when have the Texans ever played the long game. Get a 2019 2nd and a 4th with a 2020 first and I am happy.

If they are smart they will trade for draft picks in 2020 since they aren't winning a SB anyways. But when have the Texans ever played the long game. Get a 2019 2nd and a 4th with a 2020 first and I am happy.
That's a recommendation, not a prediction ?

I’ll start...

I think the organization is locked into an OT at 23 and will be willing to let the pick come to them. But Greg Little is the most likely to be there and is being compared to Duane Brown. If Taylor were to fall to them they might change their plan and take him, but going in it's Little.

I have just one concern and I'm sure the Texans are aware, but why did Little not lift at the Combine and then at his pro date, cut it off at 15?

I think the organization is locked into an OT at 23 and will be willing to let the pick come to them. But Greg Little is the most likely to be there and is being compared to Duane Brown. If Taylor were to fall to them they might change their plan and take him, but going in it's Little.

Yes he is being compared to Duane Brown. Notice him around? Like Brown Little is projected as better in a ZBS. That's not OB's preference.

The Texans are going to figure out a way to screw this up as bad as possible.
I predict a trade will happen just before the season starts.
May I take that to mean before the 2019 season starts, and if so I respectfully disagree as I think JD will be on the Texans roster, playing, and starting in the Fall of 2019.

1st Round
-Jonah Williams
-Dalton Risner
-Greedy Williams
-Justin Layne
-Garret Bradbury

2nd Round
-Tytus Howard
-Greg Little
-Elgton Jenkins
-Rock Ya Sin
-Lonnie Johnson
-Sean Bunting
-Trayvon Mullen
-Darnell Savage

3-7
-
Isiah Johnson
-Deionte Thompson
-Nate Davis
-Derek Thomas
-Yodney Cajuste
-Oli Udoh
-Joshua Miles
-Hunter Renfrow
-Penny Hart
-Traeyveon Williams
-Devin Singeltary

I'm confident the first 3 picks will be OL & CB only.
Rd-1 Jonah Williams
Rd-2 Tytus Howard
Rd-2 Lonnie Johnson
Rd-3 CB, RB or Safety

May I take that to mean before the 2019 season starts, and if so I respectfully disagree as I think JD will be on the Texans roster, playing, and starting in the Fall of 2019.

I think you probably will be right.

I hope you are wrong.

Risner is my favorite of the possible OT options on the board. He has the versatility the Texans covet. But I give Little the edge on Texans board due to superior measurables (size/length).

I'd give Risner the edge b/c he's a smash mouth type of OL that plays well into OB's OL scheme.....not to mention, he has that versatile upside to play RT, RG and C at a high level if that's where the team placed him. This is OB's type of player.

On a side note, I may not hesitate to select LT, Mitch Hyatt- Clemson in RD6 or RD7 if he's still on the board as future insurance at LT.....especially if I got C, Erik McCoy- Texas A&M earlier. I want this OL fiasco to be damn near solved after this draft.

..especially if I got C, Erik McCoy- Texas A&M earlier. I want this OL fiasco to be damn near solved after this draft.
I agree 100% we need to fix the OL fiasco this draft which is why I like taking 3 OL'men in the first three rounds. This draft is deep in talent through round three and we can get three talents who grade out higher than anyone we currently have on the team.

I've noticed a bit of interest in McCoy. Is he much of an improvement over Martin? McCoy is on the smallish side, as is Martin. I'd like a bit more size to anchor the middle against the elite nose tackles and defensive tackles.

The player I like, and who grades out the same as McCoy, is Penn State's Connor McGovern. He's 6'-5" with the frame to play at 320 or 325 with long 34 1/8" arms. He anchors well against those bull rushers that will push Martin back into the pocket. I think McCoy would have the same problem, being undersized as he is.

I agree 100% we need to fix the OL fiasco this draft which is why I like taking 3 OL'men in the first three rounds. This draft is deep in talent through round three and we can get three talents who grade out higher than anyone we currently have on the team.

I've noticed a bit of interest in McCoy. Is he much of an improvement over Martin? McCoy is on the smallish side, as is Martin. I'd like a bit more size to anchor the middle against the elite nose tackles and defensive tackles.

The player I like, and who grades out the same as McCoy, is Penn State's Connor McGovern. He's 6'-5" with the frame to play at 320 or 325 with long 34 1/8" arms. He anchors well against those bull rushers that will push Martin back into the pocket. I think McCoy would have the same problem, being undersized as he is.

McGovern is a perfect pick for this exercise. Length and strength two things Gaine has explicitly said he wants to obtain in his OL.

I’ll start...

I know we say this every year but this draft is shaping up as the most important one in a while as we now appear to have a franchise QB, JJ Watt is in his closing years and we did not have a 1 or 2 last year so this time it really counts.
I have a feeling Texans may combine their 2 2nd rounders and try for another high quality prospect that is still on their board.
I think they end up with either Cody Ford or Byron Murphy with their first and Julian Love CB, Zach Allen DL or Deionte Thompson S with their 2 seconds.

Back