Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[PFW] Texans will attempt to re-sign WR Jones

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
:toropalm:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/07/07/texans-will-attempt-to-re-sign-wr-jones

On the offensive side of the ball, the Texans' plans for free agency likely will begin by attempting to lock up their own players, with making an offer to unrestricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach the first order of business. Whether or not Leach, who wants to be the highest-paid fullback in the league, will be satisfied with the Texans' offer remains to be seen. WR Jacoby Jones is another key contributor the club will attempt to re-sign. Although bouts of inconsistency have plagued Jones, he remains a dangerous downfield target for QB Matt Schaub, in addition to being the club's best return man. If Jones receives a more lucrative deal elsewhere, second-year WR Dorin Dickerson could see an increased role on offense. WR-RS Trindon Holliday could get the first shot at return duties, though he struggled to protect the football last preseason and Texans special-teams coordinator Joe Marciano recently said Holliday's value could be hurt by the new kickoff rules.

Plaxico Burress was on NFLTA last night and they were talking about potential destinations for him. I think it was Baldy that mentioned him coming to Houston. Plax said it'd be a dream playing with AJ in an offense like ours.

Odds of it happening are next to zero, but it would be awesome seeing AJ, Plax, Walter, Dickerson and OD on the field at one time.

The dude shot himself and had to go to jail for it, lol. So, I think he's paid more than the price

Cant say I'm excited. I still cringe every time the ball is thrown to him. :hide:
I would like to see the Texans sign someone else besides Jacoby.

Cant say I'm excited. I still cringe every time the ball is thrown to him. :hide:
I would like to see the Texans sign someone else besides Jacoby.
I only cringe when it's tight coverage for short yardage. If they went back to having him stretch the field (like '09), it'd help the offense a great deal more.

Plaxico Burress was on NFLTA last night and they were talking about potential destinations for him. I think it was Baldy that mentioned him coming to Houston. Plax said it'd be a dream playing with AJ in an offense like ours.

Odds of it happening are next to zero, but it would be awesome seeing AJ, Plax, Walter, Dickerson and OD on the field at one time.

The dude shot himself and had to go to jail for it, lol. So, I think he's paid more than the price

Actually, the first word that came out of his mouth was "WOW!" He seemed pretty happy with that opportunity. We need to be on the phone with him. Do a deal similar to Vick's, worse case scenario is he gives us a more sure handed Jacoby Jones.

Yeah, and really the only reason he went to jail was because he had a loaded gun in NY. Here in Texas, he'd fit right in.

Actually, the first word that came out of his mouth was "WOW!" He seemed pretty happy with that opportunity. We need to be on the phone with him. Do a deal similar to Vick's, worse case scenario is he gives us a more sure handed Jacoby Jones.

Yeah, and really the only reason he went to jail was because he had a loaded gun in NY. Here in Texas, he'd fit right in after a gun safety course.

Fixed that for ya ..... :specnatz:

Whether you like the re-singing or not, the f.o. is being consitent with 'more of the same.'

Maybe this year is the year....................lol?

I think this is a PC answer just in case they can resign him for a reasonable rate. Keep him from being butt hurt.

Jacoby Jones is all potential and little production. It's time he got a change of scenery and I'd prefer they not waste a roster spot on him this year. His big breakout year is always "next year" so why bother? When next year gets here it's "this year" and he's a big play just waiting to happen (and waiting, and waiting, and waiting).

David Anderson isn't Wes Welker but at least he's pretty damned consistent and that far down the depth chart I think that's more important than potential that never pays off. When I find myself frustrated by David Anderson's limitations I remind myself that we wouldn't be depending on him so much if Jacoby Jones would grow the **** up and take his profession seriously OR if Texans would figure out that it's ok to go out and get another free agent WR if they need one. Kevin Walter has been a great addition but it's not like he takes up our only available free agent WR spot. Finding a complimentary piece to AJ should be a priority. Time isn't on his side for much longer. I'm not sold on Plax but I'd be seriously interested in working him out if I was Kubiak and I wouldn't let a stubborn, misguided loyalty to a draft pick whose never paid off get in the way of that.

Jacoby Jones is all potential and little production. It's time he got a change of scenery and I'd prefer they not waste a roster spot on him this year. His big breakout year is always "next year" so why bother? When next year gets here it's "this year" and he's a big play just waiting to happen (and waiting, and waiting, and waiting).

David Anderson isn't Wes Welker but at least he's pretty damned consistent and that far down the depth chart I think that's more important than potential that never pays off. When I find myself frustrated by David Anderson's limitations I remind myself that we wouldn't be depending on him so much if Jacoby Jones would grow the **** up and take his profession seriously OR if Texans would figure out that it's ok to go out and get another free agent WR if they need one. Kevin Walter has been a great addition but it's not like he takes up our only available free agent WR spot. Finding a complimentary piece to AJ should be a priority. Time isn't on his side for much longer. I'm not sold on Plax but I'd be seriously interested in working him out if I was Kubiak and I wouldn't let a stubborn, misguided loyalty to a draft pick whose never paid off get in the way of that.

My thoughts exactly. ^^^^^^^

Well....if it's down to re-signing JJ or seeing what Dickerson, Anderson and Holliday are all about.......I say move on from JJ. We know what he is, all legs/no hands. Experiment over. Between DD, DA and TH I think punt returns and 3 WR duty is well covered.

Burress is a no for me. Gun puns aside, he's aged, out of practice and we already have a #1 guy (that MUST be targeted more often in the red zone) and enough high-level receivers for Schaubby.

I think in general fans or either to easy or too hard on thier own players. Jones (and Walter) is a "we are too hard on" as a player. While I am okay upgrading the position, the Texans are solid not spectacular in terms of their 2A/2B combo. I would not be a fan of giving Jones a Walterlike (wasn't fan of giving Walter that miuch) contract, but I don't think they are losing (or winning) games because of either one.

Normal Kubiak re-sign players who have not lived up to what they were supposed to be.

Jacoby is the best return man on the team.

You lose Jacoby and you will only have hopes and wishes at that spot. And Jacoby is way more valuable than DA as a receiver. He may not live up to his potential, but he damn sure does more for the team than DA does.

Now I love DA and I think he's a good end of the depth chart guy....But he can be upgraded if you bring in a legit talent like Plax.

Normal Kubiak re-sign players who have not lived up to what they were supposed to be.

I don't understand that mind set....

No he hasn't lived up to expectations...but he's still been very valuble for us...

Makes no sense to let him go without a viable alternative ready to take his place...You lose Jacoby and don't replace him with a better player and your offense takes a step back...

You lose Jacoby and miss out on a FA that you plan to land and have to replace him with fillers...you take a step back...

You re-sign Jacoby and land a good FA WR and your offense becomes that much more potent...

No he hasn't lived up to expectations...but he's still been very valuble for us...

Makes no sense to let him go without a viable alternative ready to take his place...You lose Jacoby and don't replace him with a better player and your offense takes a step back...

You lose Jacoby and miss out on a FA that you plan to land and have to replace him with fillers...you take a step back...

You re-sign Jacoby and land a good FA WR and your offense becomes that much more potent...
You lose Jacoby and then sign two receivers your offense would be even more potent.

Everyone always wants to get rid of DA, sure he's not as athletic as Jones, but his hands are just as reliable (if not more so) and he brings the most important intangible to the team. Comedy, dude is gold. I would rather they let JJ test the FA market and bring in Plax (doubtful), give Dickerson another veteran to learn from

Everyone always wants to get rid of DA, sure he's not as athletic as Jones, but his hands are just as reliable (if not more so) and he brings the most important intangible to the team. Comedy, dude is gold. I would rather they let JJ test the FA market and bring in Plax (doubtful), give Dickerson another veteran to learn from

I don't. I'd rather keep DA over JJ. His hands are definitely morre reliable than JJ's.

This guy's got bigger hands than JJ

Jimmy-Clausen1.jpg

What has Jones really done? Not much.

For a #3 receiver he's done a bit.

He has his moments where he looks bad, but Jacoby has made plays.

I'm not saying that you don't ever look to replace him and that he is golden. What I'm saying is that you don't get rid of him and replace him with David Anderson, or end of the bench guy.

If you have a legit shot at getting an upgrade in FA then by all means let him go.

For a #3 receiver he's done a bit.

He has his moments where he looks bad, but Jacoby has made plays.

I'm not saying that you don't ever look to replace him and that he is golden. What I'm saying is that you don't get rid of him and replace him with David Anderson, or end of the bench guy.

If you have a legit shot at getting an upgrade in FA then by all means let him go.
Which I believe they do.

Ok look, forget about what David Anderson can't do or what Jacoby Jones doesn't do. Forget about what Dorin Dickerson is yet to do (in my opinion he's the guy in the WR corps who can still legitimately play the "potential" card).

Even forget about the reliable target that is Kevin Walter.

Who do we have opposite Andre Johnson that anyone here can honestly say can't be ignored week in and week out? Walter has good games, Jacoby makes a play here and there, and David Anderson gets his reps but none of them are genuine compliments to Andre Johnson. What would it be like to put someone opposite him who is consistently effective? Where's our Stalworth to AJ's Swan? Where is the John Taylor to AJ's Jerry Rice? Tim Brown/Jerry Rice? Moss/Carter? Moss/Welker?

With the number of legitimate free agent veteran WR's out there right now why in the world would a team with AJ not try to put someone opposite him who both creates opportunities and who can actually capitalize on the opportunities that playing with AJ produces.

No WR other than Kevin Walter in spurts has been able to make covering Andre hurt a defense. Why can't we try and fix that?

If he lines up at WR, he is probably the #4 target anyway. Schaub first looks to AJ, then OD, then probably Foster. I can't imagine he will get many looks anyway. If I were him, I'd realize that I will not get much attention and therefore not make a ton of money on my next contract. I'd prefer to go to a team where I could be a #2 target rather than a #4.

Ok look, forget about what David Anderson can't do or what Jacoby Jones doesn't do. Forget about what Dorin Dickerson is yet to do (in my opinion he's the guy in the WR corps who can still legitimately play the "potential" card).

Who do we have opposite Andre Johnson that anyone here can honestly say can't be ignored week in and week out? Walter has good games, Jacoby makes a play here and there, and David Anderson gets his reps but none of them are genuine compliments to Andre Johnson. What would it be like to put someone opposite him who is consistently effective? Where's our Stalworth to AJ's Swan? Where is the John Taylor to AJ's Jerry Rice? Tim Brown/Jerry Rice? Moss/Carter? Moss/Welker?

With the number of legitimate free agent veteran WR's out there right now why in the world would a team with AJ not try to put someone opposite him who both creates opportunities and who can actually capitalize on the opportunities that playing with AJ produces.

No WR other than Kevin Walter in spurts has been able to make covering Andre hurt a defense. Why can't we try and fix that?

Owen Daniels and Arian Foster cannot be ignored.

Owen Daniels and Arian Foster cannot be ignored.

Agreed. Neither one however lines up at WR. Owen Daniels, as fine a receiving TE as you will find is still not sufficient reason to not improve your starting WR's. The same can be said about Foster. They're great players but neither is a wideout and that was what I was speaking of. The Texans can improve their situation at WR and should. The drop-off after AJ is steep.

I kind of hope Dickerson ends up living up to his potential. If he manages to do so then things look a whole lot different I admit.

Agreed. Neither one however lines up at WR. Owen Daniels, as fine a receiving TE as you will find is still not sufficient reason to not improve your starting WR's. The same can be said about Foster. They're great players but neither is a wideout and that was what I was speaking of. The Texans can improve their situation at WR and should. The drop-off after AJ is steep.

I kind of hope Dickerson ends up living up to his potential. If he manages to do so then things look a whole lot different I admit.

I hear you, but we have a salary cap. I would rather spend money to reign Leach and give Dickerson a chance at the spot than spend on a FA WR. Every dollar we don't spend on offense allows us to address our craptacular Defense. We need to pony up big $ to get a Jonathan Joseph CB here, a solid safety, and additional quality depth across the D. If this was baseball where you could spend whatever you wanted, then I would agree with you. But, since we have a finite amount of money, let's spend it where we have the biggest holes.

What we sometimes have from the 10yd line:

..6yds
......10yds
...........7yds
...............2yds
..................13yds
.......................1yd
...........................9yds
...............................23yds
....................................7yds
........................................3yds
...........................................8yds
...............................................1yd TD!

What would be nice to have once in awhile from the 10 yd line (especially when time is at a premium):

..14yds
.......4yds
...........38yds
................34yds TD!

What we sometimes have from the 10yd line:

..6yds
......-10yds
...........7yds
...............2yds
..................-13yds
.......................1yd
...........................-9yds
...............................23yds
....................................-7yds........................................3yds
...........................................-8yds
...............................................1yd TD!

What would be nice to have once in awhile from the 10 yd line (especially when time is at a premium):

..14yds
.......4yds
...........38yds
................34yds TD!

Fixed it. LOL

Would rather get Sidney Rice, Vincet Jackson, or Ochocinco than Plaxico. Don't resign Jacoby or DA.

DA's hands ARE are better than JJ's... That said, the only thing JJ lacks to be a really good player is maturity. That said, he has matured somewhat from his first or second year.

This is why I would have been fine with us going with a WR in the draft. Although I preferred going as much defense as we could (and we did), I wouldn't have minded a WR.

If we get a THREAT across from AJ and have KW working the slot? With OD and Arian?

Child.

Please.

I would be fine with us signing a FA WR to take over the #2.

I am hoping Texans are keeping salaries down at WR to give money to my cornerback. JJ would accept a reasonable deal and if he doesn't we have even more to play with on defensive backfield.

Exactly! Sign randy moss,resign jones,cut or trade walters, keep anderson. Keep the young buck,cut the old buck. Walters doesn't do enough opposite johnson. Put randy moss opposite of johnson and the offense just added another td to the point total. They just added more explosion and johnson just became a better wr.

David Anderson isn't Wes Welker but at least he's pretty damned consistent...
Yes, consistently worthless.

There's a lot of Jacoby hate on this board. Has been since he was drafted.
I'd rather keep DA over JJ.
Yes, I prefer a guy who offers nothing over a guy who can play WR, special teams, and score TDs.
Is it really necessary to have a high priced #2 WR to win? Please, look at the numbers the Texans #2 & 3 WRs put up and tell me they aren't comparable to other good combos in the league. AJ, Foster, Daniels...there's only one football. Who gets their touches reduced? Walter and Jones were targeted an average of 5 times each/game. Really, the Texans should be moving more to the run game (their stated goal) to take time off the clock and keep their defense off the field. If anyone needs increased touches, it's Derrick Ward and/or Ben Tate.
I hear you, but we have a salary cap. I would rather spend money to reign Leach and give Dickerson a chance at the spot than spend on a FA WR.
Right. I'm all for finding a bargain at WR. Someone who can come in and make a play on 3rd down and maybe help out on special teams. But forking over big $$$ when this defensive backfield is hemorrhaging and needs a massive talent transfusion? Even Smithiak aren't that dumb.
Sign randy moss...
This organization doesn't have the leadership to handle a Randy Moss when things go sour. I'm not sure if Moss has anything left, anyway. If you can't play for Belichick and Brady, you probably can't play.

...look at the numbers the Texans #2 & 3 WRs put up and tell me they aren't comparable to other good combos in the league.
Just a few stats to illustrate my point, Jones (65.4%) and Walter (63.8%) both had very good completion/target percentages. Jones finished 11th in the league, Walter 21st (WRs with 50 or more targets/season). When considering only WRs who would be described as a team's #2 or 3 WR, Jones finished 9th and Walter 14th.

Superstars? No. But, reliable. And when taking into consideration the lack of preseason preperation QBs and WRs will have this offseason, the familiarity between Schaub and his receivers will become even more valuable.

BTW, Randy Moss? 80th in the league in completion/target percentage (44.4%).

^^^^
This

O/U Jacoby falling asleep at the wheel at a stop sign =1

I believe we all know what JJ's problem is and those problems have made rehab facilities a large fortune.

On the field I would rather sign a proven vet like Plax, Smith, C.Johnson than another yr of hoping this is the yr that JJ finally gets it.

O/U Jacoby falling asleep at the wheel at a stop sign =1

I believe we all know what JJ's problem is and those problems have made rehab facilities a large fortune.

On the field I would rather sign a proven vet like Plax, Smith, C.Johnson than another yr of hoping this is the yr that JJ finally gets it.
You have a problem with Jones, but you're OK with Burress? Not real consistent.

All players have various levels of potential & Texans have proven capable of making player evaluation mistakes so this seems to be chance for another one?

My gut tells me this is going to be Jacoby Jones best season yet, bases on the steps he's made from his rookie season to now, physically he is in his prime & understands flow/responsibilities of Gary Kubiaks offense.
My heart says he remains a Texan.
My brain says he is signed & traded.

Wrong sport. Unless a tag or tender is involved, that pretty much never happens in the NFL.

Let me rephrase that. Trades are more uncommon in the NFL & when they occur both sides have to agree not only on terms but usually the player in question agrees to a long-term restructured deal. I think the Texans would consider this only for CB who Wade knows & covets. Otherwise Jacoby will be an integral part of Texans offense going forward.

Let me rephrase that.
Well, let me rephrase. Jacoby Jones is likely an unrestricted free agent when the CBA is finalized. If a team other than the Texans wants him, they just have to outbid the Texans. Then, they wouldn't need to trade away a CB, or any other asset.

Back