Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[PFT] Team needs: Houston Texans

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/21/team-needs-houston-texans-3/

In their 10th season of existence — and their first without having to contend with Peyton Manning — the Texans made it to the postseason. Even though they’d rarely beaten Manning, they had no interest in joining forces with him, opting instead to keep a less accomplished starter with a bum foot and an expiring contract. If the Texans are going to follow their best season in team history with an even better showing, they need to ensure that they have young depth at areas that have seen turnover in the offseason.

Offensive line: The biggest strength of the offense has lost 40 percent of its starting lineup, with right guard Mike Brisiel bolting for Oakland and right tackle Eric Winston surprisingly being cut. (He signed with the Chiefs.) Though it would have been even worse if center Chris Myers also had signed elsewhere, the Texans need to hope that the next man up can get the job done — and that they have capable help in the event they can’t. An infusion of youth at both positions will be critical to the continued success of the unit.

Receiver: Andre Johnson turns 31 in July. A hamstring problem limited him to seven regular-season games in 2011. Though the Texans don’t need to start thinking about a replacement for the third overall pick in the 2003 draft, they should start rounding up youngsters who possibly will develop into first-string talent. Especially since they’ve had a hard time finding a first-string option across from Johnson. The current No. 2 option, Kevin Walter, turns 31 a month after Johnson. They need an infusion of competent youth at the position, now.

Nose tackle: The Texans made an effective switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4 without a classic nose tackle. Shaun Cody handled the transition well (after all, they didn’t trade him to the Eagles for a bag of cheese doodles), but the 3-4 won’t be as good as it can be without the rarest of football commodities — a large, fat man who can move like a point guard. Or at least like a shooting guard. The impact such a player could have on the Houston defense could be the difference between a playoff win and a Super Bowl victory.

Outside linebacker: Though the Texans have the talent to make the fans forget about Mario Williams, the fact that the Texans enjoyed quality depth behind the first pick in the 2006 draft made his absence due to injury last season easier to overcome — and it will make his permanent departure easier to handle. Still, injuries can happen to Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed, too, and the Texans will have to be ready with a replacement who can step in and play, well.

Cornerback: Yes, the arrival of Johnathan Joseph helped make the Houston defensive backfield much better in 2011. But with Andrew Luck arriving in the division and Jake Locker likely to become the starter in Tennessee, they’ll need as many bodies as they can to cover receivers long enough to let the front seven get to the fresh-legged quarterbacks in the division.

The Texans will be the preseason favorites to win the AFC South again. The challenge will be to put together the kind of record that can earn a bye week and otherwise force other teams to come to Houston in the postseason. If they can do that, the Texans could be making the short trip to New Orleans in February.

I agree with everything except CB.

I know most of us don't like Kareem Jackson, even I don't for the most part, I think he's played solid later in the season and playoffs. His biggest problem is still that he can't locate the ball or look up at the right time, causing him to be too late and the receiver has already caught the ball. Either way, Wade Phillip is gonna stick with him for one more year, and if he doesn't get any better, then I think he's on his way out. Our CBs for this year are Joseph, KJ, Brice McCain(beast nickel corner), Brandon Harris(I expect us to play him a lot more this season), Sherrick McManis, and Roc Carmichael. Not to mention Danieal Manning can move down to inside corner(nickel or dime) and we can add an extra safety(Nolan or Demps). I think we did this a lot on dime packages, and even Quin can do this as he has experiences at CB.

I'd say OL , WR , DE , OLB and wouldnt complain about a CB.

Dont think I need to go into OL and WR - we've covered that a dozen times .... We know the need here. (someone please make Jacoby expendable?!)

DE - Behind Watt and Smith they have Tim Jamison & Tim Bulman. I dont want one of those two playing a large amount of snaps if one of the starters goes down (Tho Jamison has shown ability).

OLB - Behind Reed and Barwin you have Jesse Nading and Bryan Braman. Nading is a ST guy .... and while I like Braman Im not sold he can do it full time. Need one more guy who can get it done.

They lost Jason Allen who split time with Jackson .... This season they will face a who's who of QB's in the NFL - Brady , Rodgers , Manning , Flaco , Matthew Stafford ..... They will have their work cut out for them from the get go.

You can ever have too many guy's that can cover or that can get to the QB.

I dont see much need at DT/NT with Cody and Earl Mitchell ..... Wouldnt mind an upgrade but think they have too many other spots to fill. This is more a luxury pick IMO.

I find it interesting that they made no mention of replacing DeMeco - unless you count that smarta$$ "a bag of cheese doodles" comment. Apparently they don't think we'll miss him.

I find it interesting that they made no mention of replacing DeMeco - unless you count that smarta$$ "a bag of cheese doodles" comment. Apparently they don't think we'll miss him.
I may have to consider a "59" Eagles jersey since DeMeco is one of my all-time favorite Texans, but I really think that Allen is a bigger loss to the team and have to believe (and hope !) that just one of those young corners among McCain, Brandon Harris, Sherrick McManis, or Carmichael will step up and become atleast what Allen was for us ?

That's a rather cynical take. I find PFT no more compelling than the National Enquirer. All gossip, sourced from others, add in fabricated stories ... all focused on increasing website hits. Pfft.

That's a rather cynical take. I find PFT no more compelling than the National Enquirer. All gossip, sourced from others, add in fabricated stories ... all focused on increasing website hits. Pfft.

I agree. Hell, some of the stuff in the Bleacher Report is more in-depth than this junk. At least some of those guys follow our team extensively.

I'd say OL , WR , DE , OLB and wouldnt complain about a CB.

Dont think I need to go into OL and WR - we've covered that a dozen times .... We know the need here. (someone please make Jacoby expendable?!)

DE - Behind Watt and Smith they have Tim Jamison & Tim Bulman. I dont want one of those two playing a large amount of snaps if one of the starters goes down (Tho Jamison has shown ability).

OLB - Behind Reed and Barwin you have Jesse Nading and Bryan Braman. Nading is a ST guy .... and while I like Braman Im not sold he can do it full time. Need one more guy who can get it done.

They lost Jason Allen who split time with Jackson .... This season they will face a who's who of QB's in the NFL - Brady , Rodgers , Manning , Flaco , Matthew Stafford ..... They will have their work cut out for them from the get go.

You can ever have too many guy's that can cover or that can get to the QB.

I dont see much need at DT/NT with Cody and Earl Mitchell ..... Wouldnt mind an upgrade but think they have too many other spots to fill. This is more a luxury pick IMO.

And you, my man, are in the same place I am. We've got some spots to fill and we need some good ones from the Draft, as we haven't done much in FA.

(quote)They lost Jason Allen who split time with Jackson .... This season they will face a who's who of QB's in the NFL - Brady , Rodgers , Manning , Flaco , Matthew Stafford ..... They will have their work cut out for them from the get go.

That part worries me the most. Serious QB threats this season. No cake walk for sure.

I think you've got to put TE on the list of needs. We run so many 2, 3, and effectively 4 TE sets, we've got to replace Dreessen. GG has not stepped up and progressed like I expected. If we could UPGRADE that position at the same time, I think it would have a great effect on our offense.

PRIMARY NEEDS: TE -- WR -- Interior OL
SECONDARY NEEDS: OLB -- ILB

Depth everywhere else.

The article seems to indicate Texans have not been able to get someone across fromAJ and that is not exactly correct. They have not tried to. There have been some mediocre signings of over the hill vets and JJ. I think Coby Fleener has the skill set, size and speed to eventually become our #1 WR. He could actually drop 10-15 lbs if he was a FT WR. I'd like a WR to be our # 2 or a slot like Broyles. A TE to add in later or rounds or even UDFA would be nice. I expect to see players drafted that could play two positions such as OLB/ILB, OT/OG or OG/C.

While I do expect OLB to be drafted, it is not priority as the roster as set did quite well last season.

I may have to consider a "59" Eagles jersey since DeMeco is one of my all-time favorite Texans, but I really think that Allen is a bigger loss to the team and have to believe (and hope !) that just one of those young corners among McCain, Brandon Harris, Sherrick McManis, or Carmichael will step up and become atleast what Allen was for us ?

For Brice McCain to play like Allen did last year he would have to regress and thats not a dig at Allen.

I think McCain made huge strides and would like to see him more at CB2 this season and maybe Harris at nickle.

And you, my man, are in the same place I am. We've got some spots to fill and we need some good ones from the Draft, as we haven't done much in FA.

Unless someone falls who shouldnt , I think they may be better off to trade out of #26 into the second round if I can get a 2&3 in return then move back up into the second round with one of those extra picks effectively giving them three #2's to fill some of these holes with.

Unless someone falls who shouldnt , I think they may be better off to trade out of #26 into the second round if I can get a 2&3 in return then move back up into the second round with one of those extra picks effectively giving them three #2's to fill some of these holes with.

I'm a huge fan of trading back.

For being a quick round up, it could be better, but sadly I think we've seen worse.

OL: I think we'll be good at RT with Butler, but Caldwell still concerns me and Wade Smith is coming off a mediocre year. I would love to see some a good young guard added in the draft. Zeitler?

WR: Sometimes it really has to concern you that even a passerby can see how bad we need some REAL talent infused into this WR corps. For better or worse this staff is committed to JJ. I doubt he gets cut and I hope this staff is looking for something other than late season adds to bolster the spot this year. This needs to be addressed early.

NT: Cody played well last year and I think its a contract year for him. I don't see him being an expensive resign, but I would like to see someone that can rotate in. Is Mitchell that guy?

OLB: Same concerns as most fans, we need a third guy that can rotate in and play at a high level.

ILB: Cush is Cush, and I like bringing in Bradie James as a stop gap here because Sharpton doesn't seem to be a long term answer. We could use a pick here.

I've thought about it. No way we take a WR in round 1.

It just doesn't fit. At #26, you're not picking a stud WR that stands out from the rest of the WRs. You're picking a gamble. At that stage, every WR becomes equal, IMO. So why pick a WR at #26 when there are others out there in rounds 2 though 7?

I think the best bet is to find that Duane Brown-type OL at pick #26. Analysts thought we reached for Duane Brown...and this was even after trading DOWN! Identify the ZBS-style OL you want and grab him at #26. Or, have 2 or 3 of those ZBS-style OL guys pegged and trade down and hope one of those guys is still there.

At this stage, I don't think any of the top flight WRs, as well as Fleener (TE), will be there at #26.

OL or LB/DL will be the pick at #26 for us. Trenches, trenches, trenches. That's where the NFL is won and lost. Everything else falls into place after you get the trenches fortified. Why stop now? Just keep stockpiling those guys.

Brice McCain is a great Nickle. I wouldn't want him moved to the outside. I would hope that one of the young guys step up, and look to pick up a vet possibly after the draft and June 1st cuts. I'm jump all over Bentley though should he fall to us in the 2nd. I know we have other needs, but I really like this kid. McCain needs to stay where he's at and remain on the inside. He's found his niche in the league. Now isn't the time to mess with it.

I actually agree with GP. I'm thinking that if we go WR in the 1st round we're going to be reaching. I think we'll get much more value with an OL or OLB/DE with that pick. Stephen Hill is probably the only guy that would intrigue me if we chose to go WR. The more I'm hearing about Wright, the more I say stay away. I could care less about his 40 time, but the fact that he got out of shape during the most important time of his life is a big red flag. I'm going out on a limb and say we're drafting Courtney Upshaw at 26. I have a feeling that he's going to slide, and he'd step in and provide us with a young group of pass rushers that's unmatched by anyone else in the league.

I've thought about it. No way we take a WR in round 1.

It just doesn't fit. At #26, you're not picking a stud WR that stands out from the rest of the WRs. You're picking a gamble. At that stage, every WR becomes equal, IMO. So why pick a WR at #26 when there are others out there in rounds 2 though 7?

I think the best bet is to find that Duane Brown-type OL at pick #26. Analysts thought we reached for Duane Brown...and this was even after trading DOWN! Identify the ZBS-style OL you want and grab him at #26. Or, have 2 or 3 of those ZBS-style OL guys pegged and trade down and hope one of those guys is still there.

At this stage, I don't think any of the top flight WRs, as well as Fleener (TE), will be there at #26.

OL or LB/DL will be the pick at #26 for us. Trenches, trenches, trenches. That's where the NFL is won and lost. Everything else falls into place after you get the trenches fortified. Why stop now? Just keep stockpiling those guys.

I could be wrong but I just took a peek at the WR's taken over the past 10 years and where they were taken. WR could well be the biggest hit or miss position in the league. I mean, look at the other WRs taken in the first round with Andre: Bryant Johnson and Charles Rogers. And that was a pretty good year for WR's (Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Nate Burleson, Brandon Lloyd, Kevin Walter). But there were 32 WRs taken that year overall.

There are so many WRs taken each year, it's crazy. And only a few per draft turn into anything special. And frequently it's some dude in the middle rounds who becomes The Guy (like Steve Smith for the Panthers from the 3rd round).

So, I'm with you. OL/LB/DL in the first.

I'd like to have Fleener but even he could be a big bust.

lets put it this way has long has J Jones stays on this roster WR is not has big has a need has yall think

anywho texans needs

Tackle- Butler will come in just find but since hes moving up we need new depth behind him in case one of our tackles goes down we dont have no one behind them

Tight end - A grantuee u unless the coaches see something in garrett and our other rookie TE there going to get another TE they love running two tight end sets

FUllback- I know u never draft a FB waste of pick but hey wee need a more traditonal FB if the move casey to a more TE role or just a hybrid FB I dont know what there going to do here

then we got

OLB- makes sense we lost mario lost depth

-NT---i know wade does not like Monster Nose tackles but the ability to switch out the different style NT would be nice

SS-- after Quinn there is not much behind him i think this is a need

so thats my 6 need picks

Brice McCain is a great Nickle. I wouldn't want him moved to the outside. I would hope that one of the young guys step up, and look to pick up a vet possibly after the draft and June 1st cuts. I'm jump all over Bentley though should he fall to us in the 2nd. I know we have other needs, but I really like this kid. McCain needs to stay where he's at and remain on the inside. He's found his niche in the league. Now isn't the time to mess with it.

I actually agree with GP. I'm thinking that if we go WR in the 1st round we're going to be reaching. I think we'll get much more value with an OL or OLB/DE with that pick. Stephen Hill is probably the only guy that would intrigue me if we chose to go WR. The more I'm hearing about Wright, the more I say stay away. I could care less about his 40 time, but the fact that he got out of shape during the most important time of his life is a big red flag. I'm going out on a limb and say we're drafting Courtney Upshaw at 26. I have a feeling that he's going to slide, and he'd step in and provide us with a young group of pass rushers that's unmatched by anyone else in the league.
I have OLB down my list of priorities but if we got Upshaw #26 that would be killer. I loved to watch him play. He can tackle sideline to sideline.

I agree with this statement completely .... which is why I wouldnt complain about the team taking a corner in the early rounds , tho I would prefer a vet.

It looks like some of those WR's will be around in the second , no need to take one unless someone slips that we didnt see being available.

I can see them taking an OG or OT in round one or trading back for a 2nd+.

Personally I don't think it's as much about McCain being in the nickel position as it is about him being matched up with smaller receivers which happen to be the slot receiver most times.

If a team puts a bigger receiver in the slot or a TE I think he'd struggle with that match-up based on what I've seen out of him in the past.

I think if he has learned to defend bigger guys he could play outside on a regular basis.

Personally, I'd like to have a nickel corner that was a bit more dynamic. Not that McCain doesn't have his niche on the team, but I'd like to see a guy play there that could blitz, be more physical at the LOS AND cover.

McCain is really athletic and he improved his coverage skills last year, so if he's the nickel for the foreseeable future hopefully he continues to get better because I think teams will start doing different things against him because so far he's been a one trick pony though he's done that trick pretty well.

hopefully one of thoes ttop 10 tackles but not likey on everyone mock draft they got like 5 tackles going in front of us **** alot of other teams must need tackles 2

Personally I don't think it's as much about McCain being in the nickel position as it is about him being matched up with smaller receivers which happen to be the slot receiver most times.

If a team puts a bigger receiver in the slot or a TE I think he'd struggle with that match-up based on what I've seen out of him in the past.

I think if he has learned to defend bigger guys he could play outside on a regular basis.

Personally, I'd like to have a nickel corner that was a bit more dynamic. Not that McCain doesn't have his niche on the team, but I'd like to see a guy play there that could blitz, be more physical at the LOS AND cover.

McCain is really athletic and he improved his coverage skills last year, so if he's the nickel for the foreseeable future hopefully he continues to get better because I think teams will start doing different things against him because so far he's been a one trick pony though he's done that trick pretty well.

I agree with you in saying that preferably you'd like to have guys with a little more versatility playing Nickle but its honestly a hard role for a lot of teams to fill. Just look at the Patriots. They've had to use 4 receivers that I can think of in that spot. McCain's strength is his quickness and change of direction. That suits him well playing inside. If you move him outside I think some of his weaknesses would be exposed. I'm just not big on tinkering with a guy once he's found something he's gotten pretty damn good at. He seems to be comfortable there after some rough patches his first couple of years. I'd like to see how he can grow and expand more at the Nickel with a full offseason.

Back