Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Palmers last stand

bigpoppatex

Practice Squad
Anyone else tired of CP calling run on 3rd and 23?

Or not knowing that there is this awesome new invention that applies to the NFL called the "screen pass"?

I think will be CP's last year if he proves to be the bonehead play caller he has been for the last two years.

We had four games which we lost by the smallest of margins last year, and I cant help but think that poor play calling had much to do with us being in that predicament to begin with. These games shouldn’t have even been that close.

CP better get his act together ... or pack his bags.

Frankly, I think we used too many screens in the first two years.

Also, I don't have a problem with conservative play calling. I think that is more a reflection of Capers than Palmer. Capers has been running conservative offenses everywhere he has been in charge of a team. Palmer ran a wide open set with the Jaguars, so he has more history of running a "wide open" offense between the two. Also, we had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. You don't run "wide open" sets with a horrible D. That tends to get you blown out more often.

We lost 4 games last year by small margins because our offense could not convert simple, short first downs. It was excecution more than playcalling.

Palmer is not in any hot water. His bags are fine how they are.

-- my opinion. Carry on. ;)

I think he will actually get to open it up more this season. You have a QB that is in his 3rd year, and alot less rookies if any on offense. My thing is I would like to see us have the ability to expose weaknesses in the oppositions defense. I want to see a well prepared offense each week.

At first glance, 3rd and 23 seems an obvious passing down. It's obvious to defenses too. You could almost count on one hand the number of varied offensive plays we ran in the first year. It opened up a bit more last year and I fully expect the guys to get near the back of the book this time around.

i don't think he's in hot water with casserly or mcnair at all...but i personally would like him to open up the playbook for some more deep passes...especially now that we have a runningback...man let's pull a manning fake the hand off and go deep with johnson or bradford...if carr is going to him and asking the same thing then you know we're ready for it

Palmer is not in hot water. But I THINK (like I know anything) if the play calling isn't a little more open this year, the water could start to heat up. Just because I heard somewhere back when, that McNair is ready to start moving up and start contending for the playoffs.

At the very beginning of the season the deep ball was working over the middle to Gaffney. The deep ball was there to Johnson alot this year but sometimes it would be negated by a holding penalty or a false start on the next play.

frankly, I'm going to give Palmer the benefit of the doubt. Did the guy have a lot to work with over the last few years?.....No. Did the guy have to modify the offense to suit the what he has?..........Yes. Maybe this season, we can begin to see some of the "Genius" this guy is supposed to be known for. I personly think the offense will be opened up, and we will see a different Palmer. As for the running on long 3rd down plays. No one wants to see that, but history will tell you, teams go to a cover 2 defense and this is when big INT's happen trying to make an impossible play. Play it safe and live to score another series!

This may sound stupid, but we were like 3rd in the AFC in total yardage up to the Titans game. Thats when we found out about DD and thats when it became a look deep, pass to the flat offense and our offense suffered. DD is a good player but he kind of hampered the offense, he gave us that runner and dump off guy and I think Palmer and Carr took to much advantage of that. I dont know if it was Carr wanting to dump off the ball, Palmer telling him to, or Capers telling Palmer to tell Carr to.

This is another reason why Gaff's stats to me are decieving, at the beggining of the year he started off great and was on pace to catch for 1000 yards, then we found DD and Carr looked DD's way more then Gaffney's way from week 5 and on.

I'm giving Palmer this year to show improvement with the offense play calling. If I don't see an improvement in the offense. Then we should look to improve at the offensive coordinator position.

Run-run-pass is one of the biggest myths out there. Go through the gamebooks. I think that most of the problems the Texans experienced last year, i.e., failure to convert 3rd downs - or even the situations leading up to third and more than 5, can be traced to poor execution rather than poor play calling. Look at the last five drives of Week 17 last year if you need an example. There was nothing conservative about the play calling - it was simply terrible execution. The second half of the Jets game was the only time I really had a problem last year (not going for the jugular). I don't think we're that different from most teams around the league in terms of quality of play calling. Compare Carolina play calling to Houston last year and you might see that execution is what's most important.

Is it time to fire Palmer already? :) Do you guys suppose we could all wait til week 2? I am just playing, but this thread is a little premature.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it stated by CPalmer in these past 2 seasons that the offense the 1st year was running on about 25% of the playbook & going up to 50-60% last year? In essence I'm saying they're only gonna eat what you feed'em. I expect that our play calling will be even more vast this season because CPalmer will feed them more of the playbook. IMO, another way the O will improve is contingent on DCarr/CPalmer mixing it up & not just settling on what a D gives them ... not riding the screen pass til the wheels fall off. Just my miserable :twocents: worth ... Can't get enough of that dancin' :banana: or :monkey:

I hope they give Carr more freedom to change plays at the line of scrimmage, and to take advantage of Gaff in the slot and AJ deep

Back