Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Orlando Brown to the Chiefs (trade)

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

The Chiefs paid a high price to obtain left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. The Ravens get first-, third-, and fourth-round picks this year and a 2022 fifth-rounder from the Chiefs, while Baltimore sent its 2021 second-round pick and a 2022 sixth-rounder to Kansas City.

But Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that the Chiefs’ plan is for Brown to play out the final year of his deal.
“There’s no extension as part of this deal right now,” Garafolo adds.

I agree it was good for both teams. The Chiefs had to get a starting OT. And the Ravens now have the juice to move up and grab an impact pass rusher. Jackson can't carry this team to the Super Bowl, so the Ravens defense needs to go from good to great.

A great move by Kansas City and they should have cap space in 22 to extend him. PFF 77 for last season.

An OL with Brown/Thuney/Tardiff/Drafted RT in front of Mahomes with Hill/Kelce/CEH is really scary.

That's what you've gotta match to win the AFC.

I could actually seeing the Chargers if they have a great draft being able to go toe to toe with the Chiefs.

With three offensive linemen signed in free agency, two offensive linemen coming back from opt-outs, and now Brown’s arrival in a trade, no team in the NFL has done more to improve its offensive line this offseason than the Chiefs.

From the comments:
"thevoice0freason says:
April 24, 2021 at 8:31 am
What will be the excuse when Mahomes still can’t read a defense and runs into sacks?"

This isn't the first time I've read similar remarks regarding Mahomes and there are some who think he gets by on his great talent alone vs developing into a better QB. However, he's still young plus we all know that we would take his SB win and loss vs anything the Texans have ever accomplished.

A great move by Kansas City and they should have cap space in 22 to extend him. PFF 77 for last season.
I agree. This Veatch is one shrewd operator, and we can only hope our new GM will approach him in skills as the primary manager and decision maker for most of the personnel decisions for our team.
Chiefs picking what 31 overall so their first round pick is virtually a high second, and that's a good deal for a starting LT in the NFL, most any starting LT.

No extension? That’s three teams now that fell for the banana in the tail pipe... or the experts her don’t really know what they’re talking about.
Still doesn't make it good business. The Texans got raped twice for Tunsil. Only difference might be is that these other teams have a little better grasp of how it all works with regards to negotiating contracts and value. Still a risk though, to pay the high price of bringing a guy over and having the potential of him walking and you're left with no draft picks and no player.

I agree. This Veatch is one shrewd operator, and we can only hope our new GM will approach him in skills as the primary manager and decision maker for most of the personnel decisions for our team.
Chiefs picking what 31 overall so their first round pick is virtually a high second, and that's a good deal for a starting LT in the NFL, most any starting LT.

They traded 31 for the Ravens 2nd plus the Chiefs 3rd and 4th.

Still doesn't make it good business. The Texans got raped twice for Tunsil. Only difference might be is that these other teams have a little better grasp of how it all works with regards to negotiating contracts and value. Still a risk though, to pay the high price of bringing a guy over and having the potential of him walking and you're left with no draft picks and no player.

They will pay Brown top $$$$ after this season. They're betting on the new TV deal jacking up the cap in a couple of yrs.

From the comments:
"thevoice0freason says:
What will be the excuse when Mahomes still can’t read a defense and runs into sacks?"

This isn't the first time I've read similar remarks regarding Mahomes and there are some who think he gets by on his great talent alone vs developing into a better QB. However, he's still young plus we all know that we would take his SB win and loss vs anything the Texans have ever accomplished.
I haven’t watched Mahomes very much. Only when we play him. But I haven’t seen him running into sacks.

But this sounds like my thoughts on Andrew Luck. Very talented. Came into the league with a very high NFL intellect. But his playing didn’t really change imo.

The Colts improved the team around him, as they should. The team got better, he didn’t. His stats may have improved, but he was more predictable because he approached the game the same.

Unlike Brady, or Manning who evolved in game. Whatever you were doing in the first half against them meant nothing in the second. If you don’t adjust, they’ll kill you.

With Luck, you make it the slightest bit difficult his answer was always to put his head down & try to run you over. Try to do it himself.

From the comments:
"thevoice0freason says:

Well, in the last 3 yrs he's made the AFCCG where the Chiefs lost in OT and Mahomes didn't get the ball in OT.

Won a SB

Lost a SB and still gave his team a chance to win, (2 dropped TD passes) despite missing his 2 starting OT's.

If that's only getting by on natural talent then give me some of that.

Still a risk though, to pay the high price of bringing a guy over and having the potential of him walking and you're left with no draft picks and no player.
Or they've already made up their mind they will make him the highest paid OT in league history when time comes. Some risk, yeah. But players generally follow the money.

They traded 31 for the Ravens 2nd plus the Chiefs 3rd and 4th.
Right that means Veatch just got a starting NFL LT for his Chiefs for the equivalence of the 50th overall pick in the Draft, a mid second round pick. I dunno who's running things over in Baltimore, Bill O'Brien's understudy ?

Right that means Veatch just got a starting NFL LT for his Chiefs for the equivalence of the 50th overall pick in the Draft, a mid second round pick. I dunno who's running things over in Baltimore, Bill O'Brien's understudy ?

The 3rd and 4th are worth quite a it.

It was a fair trade

But Veatch will probably trade down on one of those 2nds and get a 3rd/5th back. So the Chiefs will make out like bandits.

Last edited:
The 3rd and 4th are worth quite a it.

It was a fair trade

But Veatch will probably trade down on one of those 2nds and get a 3ed/5rh back. So the Chiefs will make out like bandits.
Fair ?
I'd say Veatch took the Ravens to the cleaners on this deal. Plain and simple scalped them, they were overmatched.

Orlando Brown played half a year at LT on a heavy run team. he has been dominant as RT but the ravens already have a highly paid and more experienced LT, Ronnie Staley. Brown probably would not have a gotten a long-term deal with the Ravens. Very different situation than the Texans/dolphins trade.

KC will be or already are prohibitive 2022/23 Super Bowl favorites. Chargers are two years away, if Herbert becomes Mahomes true rival. For now, KC offensive line is set, Chargers have invested heavily on OL this offseason and will continue with whoever they draft as their LT. But Staley will have his work cut out to retool defense, that will take some time and luck.

Two ways this could go for Orlando. All Pro LT gets paid 25 million per year to stay in KC (capologisist must be a genius) or he hits free agency and gets even more, maybe 30 million. Tunsil extension is only three years. He’s going to want to top Orlando Brown contract.

Only a team who is a true contender should pay this much for a LT, for them it makes sense. Will have to wait and see what happens with Watson? Let this whole saga play out otherwise it might behoove Caserio to move Tunsil for #1 and #2 draft picks, IMO.

KC will be or already are prohibitive 2022/23 Super Bowl favorites. Chargers are two years away, if Herbert becomes Mahomes true rival. For now, KC offensive line is set, Chargers have invested heavily on OL this offseason and will continue with whoever they draft as their LT. But Staley will have his work cut out to retool defense, that will take some time and luck.

Two ways this could go for Orlando. All Pro LT gets paid 25 million per year to stay in KC (capologisist must be a genius) or he hits free agency and gets even more, maybe 30 million. Tunsil extension is only three years. He’s going to want to top Orlando Brown contract.

Only a team who is a true contender should pay this much for a LT, for them it makes sense. Will have to wait and see what happens with Watson? Let this whole saga play out otherwise it might behoove Caserio to move Tunsil for #1 and #2 draft picks, IMO.
Yes sir! Tunsil is going to get very expensive after this season. If caseiro is as smart as everyone including myself things, hopefully he has a plan for that Prime position.

Back