Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Opto's Miami Trade Mock 1.0

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I posted this on Badboy's Jets Mock but wanted to make some corrections to better establish a more feasible trade idea. I'm going to stick with this as being a single blockbuster deal between the Texans and Dolphins. The blockbuster trade would have a player and picks over the next three drafts and send solid players to Miami in return.....players that could put them over the top in the AFC East.

Dolphins Get:
QB- Deshaun Watson
DE- JJ Watt (Dumping Contract)
WR- Brandon Cooks (Dumping Contract)

Texans Get:
QB- Tua Tagovailo
2021 Picks
RD1-03-003
RD1-18-018
RD2-03-035
RD2-18-050
2022 Picks
RD1
RD3
2023 Pick
RD1

TEXANS 2021 PICKS:
RD1-03-003:
RD1-18-018:

RD2-03-035:
RD2-18-050:

RD3-03-067:

**There are 32 projected COMP Picks to be awarded** **RD4 - RD7 () will reflect the projected position after COMP Picks starting at the conclusion of RD3**

**+6 + 0 = +6 Picks**

RD4-03-099(106):
RD4-16-112(118):

**+6 + 8 = +14 Picks**

RD5-03-131(145):

**+14 + 8 = +22 Picks**

RD6-03-163(185):
RD6-18-176(198):
RD6-28-188(210):

**22 + 10 = +32 Picks**

RD7-03-195(227):

**12 Picks in the 2021 NFL Draft with 5 inside the Top 100**

Watson's cap hit would be zero'd out by the trading of Watt, and Cooks...I believe. There would need to be more cuts or trades if the Cap is really adjusted down this season. I think the owners will come to the reality that it may be better to eat the losses suffered this season versus losing top end players and quality depth off their rosters.

We'd save quite a bit more on the cap in moving Watt and Cooks then what it would cost to trade DW.

Problem is taking those guys on while moving Tua would cost Miami ~ $48M in 2021.

We'd save quite a bit more on the cap in moving Watt and Cooks then what it would cost to trade DW.

Problem is taking those guys on while moving Tua would cost Miami ~ $48M in 2021.

Miami would be in a position to extend those contracts and reduce the financial impact while adding some solid talent to their team.

I posted this on Badboy's Jets Mock but wanted to make some corrections to better establish a more feasible trade idea. I'm going to stick with this as being a single blockbuster deal between the Texans and Dolphins. The blockbuster trade would have a player and picks over the next three drafts and send solid players to Miami in return.....players that could put them over the top in the AFC East.

Dolphins Get:
QB- Deshaun Watson
DE- JJ Watt (Dumping Contract)
WR- Brandon Cooks (Dumping Contract)

Texans Get:
QB- Tua Tagovailo
2021 Picks
RD1-03-003
RD1-18-018
RD2-03-035
RD2-18-050
2022 Picks
RD1
RD3
2023 Pick
RD1

Carolina Get:
RD1-03-003

Texans Get:
2021 Picks
RD1-08-008
RD2-08-040

2022 Pick
RD2 Pick

TEXANS 2021 PICKS:
RD1-08-008:
RD1-18-018:

RD2-03-035:
RD2-08-040:
RD2-18-050:

RD3-03-067:

**There are 32 projected COMP Picks to be awarded** **RD4 - RD7 () will reflect the projected position after COMP Picks starting at the conclusion of RD3**

**+6 + 0 = +6 Picks**

RD4-03-099(106):
RD4-16-112(118):

**+6 + 8 = +14 Picks**

RD5-03-131(145):

**+14 + 8 = +22 Picks**

RD6-03-163(185):
RD6-18-176(198):
RD6-28-188(210):

**22 + 10 = +32 Picks**

RD7-03-195(227):

**12 Picks in the 2021 NFL Draft with 5 inside the Top 100**

Watson's cap hit would be zero'd out by the trading of Watt, and Cooks...I believe. There would need to be more cuts or trades if the Cap is really adjusted down this season. I think the owners will come to the reality that it may be better to eat the losses suffered this season versus losing top end players and quality depth off their rosters.

I think the Texans could be dealers with the RD1-03 pick. Everyone knows Carolina is in need of a QB and I think Zach Wilson or Justin Fields would be higher on their board than Trey Lance. I'd say the Texans deal the 3rd pick to Carolina for their 2021 RD1-08-008, RD2-08-040, and 2022 RD2 Picks. I will factor this trade into my format above.

Miami would be in a position to extend those contracts and reduce the financial impact while adding some solid talent to their team.

You think any of the guys involved will want to take much of a paycut?

Watt doesn't have a ton of time left to backend a restructure.
Not sure Miami would want to give Cooks a bunch more guaranteed money to extend/restructure an oft-injured WR with 3 years left as is.
Watson's deal still has fresh ink on it.

I think a chunk of the proposed trade is reasonable with Miami, just that moving some of the other parts may need to be done separately elsewhere is all. We could perhaps still end up with similar draft compensation it would just be spread over more places that could absorb it easier.

Opto's Miami and Carolina Trade Mock 1.0

RD1-08-008: Christian Darrisaw LT Virginia Tech 6-5 @ 314 lbs
RD1-18-018: Zaven Collins LB Tulsa 6-4 @260 lbs

RD2-03-035: Javonta Williams RB North Caroina 5-10 @ 220 lbs
RD2-08-040: Trevon Moehrig FS TCU 6-2 @ 208 lbs
RD2-18-050: Nico Collins WR Michigan 6-4 @ 215 lbs

RD3-03-067: Landon Dickerson OC Alabama 6-6 @ 326 lbs

**() Actual Pick Location Based On Projected COMP Picks Being Counted**

RD4-03-099(106): Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse 6-2 @ 212 lbs
RD4-16-112(118): Trey Sermon RB Ohio State 6-1 @ 215 lbs

RD5-03-131(145): Patrick Johnson EDGE Tulsa 6-3 @ 255 lbs

RD6-03-163(185): Marquez Stevenson WR/KR Houston 5-10 @ 182 lbs
RD6-18-176(198): Bryan Mills CB North Carolina Central 6-1 @ 180 lbs
RD6-28-188(210): Kellen Mond QB Texas A&M 6-3 @ 205 lbs

RD7-03-195(227): Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas 6-0 @ 195 lbs

You think any of the guys involved will want to take much of a paycut?

Watt doesn't have a ton of time left to backend a restructure.
Not sure Miami would want to give Cooks a bunch more guaranteed money to extend/restructure an oft-injured WR with 3 years left as is.
Watson's deal still has fresh ink on it.

I think a chunk of the proposed trade is reasonable with Miami, just that moving some of the other parts may need to be done separately elsewhere is all. We could perhaps still end up with similar draft compensation it would just be spread over more places that could absorb it easier.

Miami is playing with 23.8M in projected cap space for 2021. I'm not sure if that number was generated based on the projected reduction in team salary cap by owners or on the standard increase off of the 2020 salary cap.

If it gets a little tighter then Watt would come off the table and be traded to a new team. I just don't see the Texans giving him an outright release.

Dolphins could bypass that by extending both the wide receiver and JJ Watt. Both should want to tag along with DeShaun to a team that could have a contender's chance at the big game. Especially if they could extend their contract reasonably.

Dolphins could bypass that by extending both the wide receiver and JJ Watt. Both should want to tag along with DeShaun to a team that could have a contender's chance at the big game. Especially if they could extend their contract reasonably.

And I responded to those possibilities upthread..

How would you feel if they could land both Darrisaw and Dickerson in the same draft? Or, Williams and Sermon as RB's for 2021? I'd finish the draft with 6 new offensive and defensive players.

I think the Texans could be dealers with the RD1-03 pick. Everyone knows Carolina is in need of a QB and I think Zach Wilson or Justin Fields would be higher on their board than Trey Lance. I'd say the Texans deal the 3rd pick to Carolina for their 2021 RD1-08-008, RD2-08-040, and 2022 RD2 Picks. I will factor this trade into my format above.
Carolina and a team like Dallas should want desperately to trade up for a top-three quarterback. Have you considered a young cheap veteran to include in the trade up for 1.3? For the right guy like Tryon Diggs with Dallas I would even give up a draft pick. For example give me 1.10 + wide receiver Lamb and cornerback Tryon Diggs and I would give them Pick 3.

I still am convinced that Tagovaila can start for us for this season. We would still have excellent chance to land a top quarterback in 2022 if we want to move on from him. If I remember correctly his guaranteed money after a trade to us is less than 3 million dollars.

Carolina and a team like Dallas should want desperately to trade up for a top-three quarterback. Have you considered a young cheap veteran to include in the trade up for 1.3? For the right guy like Tryon Diggs with Dallas I would even give up a draft pick. For example give me 1.10 + wide receiver Lamb and cornerback Tryon Diggs and I would give them Pick 3.

I still am convinced that Tagovaila can start for us for this season. We would still have excellent chance to land a top quarterback in 2022 if we want to move on from him. If I remember correctly his guaranteed money after a trade to us is less than 3 million dollars.

That's exactly what I'm thinking as welll. Texans need answers elsewhere first and foremost. Tua could have 2021 as a prove-it season on what would be, essentially a prove-it type of contract. If he works out....the Texans could finally be on the "positive" side of a (blockbuster) trade that could pay dividends for years to come. They'd be in a position to stack the roster with a big 2022 draft as well. A QB would not be an essential position during that draft. Defense, receivers and TE's would get extremely healthy. The more I think about it the more I really like the idea of this trade.

How would you feel if they could land both Darrisaw and Dickerson in the same draft? Or, Williams and Sermon as RB's for 2021? I'd finish the draft with 6 new offensive and defensive players.
I have so many mocks posted and some non posted that I can't remember where said it but I have the following after trades:

LT Darrisaw, Mekhi Becton LG, Dickerson C, Deonte Brown RG.

Scharping, Howard and Heck compete RT.

Jets 2.34 or Miami's 2.35 we take Najee Harris or Entiene. Both may be gone in late first but we can get Javonte Williams, Chuba Hubbard or Sermon.

That's exactly what I'm thinking as welll. Texans need answers elsewhere first and foremost. Tua could have 2021 as a prove-it season on what would be, essentially a prove-it type of contract. If he works out....the Texans could finally be on the "positive" side of a (blockbuster) trade that could pay dividends for years to come. They'd be in a position to stack the roster with a big 2022 draft as well. A QB would not be an essential position during that draft. Defense, receivers and TE's would get extremely healthy. The more I think about it the more I really like the idea of this trade.
Yeah I get really excited when I see what the future could be if we get the haul I think we can. However like everyone else I'm very concerned As I'm not sure our past is in the past. I want to get over that and Trust Nick Caserio.

Zach Wilson is gone with pick #2.

That would leave Josh Fields. Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields are the top tier QB's n this draft. I think wither of those 3 would be a solid move for Carolina.
I'm of the opinion that Lawrence and Wilson are the only 2 QBs in this draft with strong potentials to be franchise QBs. If you watch Fields games against Indiana, Northwestern and Alabama this year you would probable agree.

If you watch Fields games against Indiana, Northwestern and Alabama this year you would probable agree.
What if you looked at Fields' performances against Clemson or Penn State? Or against Michigan or Wisconsin in 2019? I'm not ready to rank the QBs in this draft (other than Lawrence is the clear #1). But, I'm certain that there are teams that would be very happy to come away with Justin Fields out of this draft.

What if you looked at Fields' performances against Clemson or Penn State? Or against Michigan or Wisconsin in 2019? I'm not ready to rank the QBs in this draft (other than Lawrence is the clear #1). But, I'm certain that there are teams that would be very happy to come away with Justin Fields out of this draft.

I'm sure there would be.

How many 1 read QB's have been successful, or for that matter Ohio St. QB's in the NFL?

That was the knock on Aaron Rodgers, right? That's played out.

You come up with 1 QB in all of these yrs. Can you say outlier.

Also Rodgers sat behind Favre for like 3 or 4 yrs before he got to play. Fields wont have that luxury.

You come up with 1 QB in all of these yrs. Can you say outlier.

Also Rodgers sat behind Favre for like 3 or 4 yrs before he got to play. Fields wont have that luxury.

.....and who can successfully predict when the next outlier will be drafted? I think there have been a massive amount of outliers drafted. The success of any outlier probably has more to do with which organization they land with versus what term analyst(s) have attached to that particular player. Something tells me, Tom Brady was also considered an outlier but he landed with New England versus Cleveland and that pretty much sums up the Tom Brady story.....outlier to GOAT, who would've predicted that in his last season with Michigan.

.....and who can successfully predict when the next outlier will be drafted? I think there have been a massive amount of outliers drafted. The success of any outlier probably has more to do with which organization they land with versus what term analyst(s) have attached to that particular player. Something tells me, Tom Brady was also considered an outlier but he landed with New England versus Cleveland and that pretty much sums up the Tom Brady story.....outlier to GOAT, who would've predicted that in his last season with Michigan.

Let me give you names of great QB predictors of the past, Walsh/Accorsi/Wolfe/Dick Haley/Brandt.

If I needed 1 guy to find me a QB in next yrs draft, that guy would be Scott McCloughan. I would do the same thing Dorsey did when he drafted Mayfield. Hire Scott McCloughan to help me. Caserio should do the same thing and trade DW4 for the best deal he can get. McCloughan also found Russel Wilson/Kaep and there are others.

Back