Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Opto's 2020 Mock Draft 1.0

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I'm just going to list the players....not going to bore you with a slanted breakdown for each. If interested just look them up to discuss.

RD2-25-057: Denzel Mims / WR / Baylor / 6-3 @ 215 lbs

RD3-03-099: (COMP) Calvin Taylor, Jr / EDGE-DE / Kentucky / 6-9 @ 310 lbs

RD4-05-111: Ben Bredeson / RG / Michigan / 6-5 @ 325 lbs

RD4-25-131: Lamar Jackson / CB / Nebraska / 6-3 @ 215 lbs

RD5-24-169: Cole Van Lanen / OG-C / Wisconsin / 6-5 @ 312 lbs

RD7-25-239: NaQuan Jones / DT / Michigan St / 6-4 @ 323 lbs

RD7-03-249: (COMP) Jay Tufele / DT / USC / 6-3 @ 305 lbs

RD7-10-256: (COMP) Kelly Bryant / QB / Missouri / 6-2 @ 225 lbs

16 days later , where are you with that choice of picks ?

All good players but not the positions I'd be looking at for 57 / 111 / 169.

Between work, being sick and our daughter visiting for winter break....I just haven't had time this go round. I will find the time b/c I don't like my original picks.

Trade Keke Coutee+ pick 128 (4th round) to Arizona for picks #111 (4th) & 153 (5th). This move provides Kingsbury with a receiver that he is familiar with that is familiar with his system at a bargain cost. The Texans make the move because Coutee is in the doghouse to begin with and they need players on cheap contracts. That leaves the Texans with the following picks:

57 – Darrell Taylor: Developmental OLB that has talent of a premiere rusher but needs consistency.

90 – Denzel Mims: Potential difference maker who gives some Fuller insurance

108 – Ke’Shaun Vaughn: RB who will split carries with, but eventually replace, Hyde

111 – Solomon Kindley: 3 year starter at OG in the SEC. Mauler who allows Fulton to be waived

153 – Levonte Taylor: Small CB who will compete with Lonnie Johnson to be starting nickel

171 – Chase Lucas: Depth CB/KR/PR as a rookie

240 – James Smith-Williams: Depth OLB/Jack/Special teamer as a rookie

248 – Javelin Guidry: Dynamo nickel corner/special teams ace a la Charles James

249 – Gage Cervenka: Athleticism/Strength of a blue chip but lacks technique (Mancz replacement?)

BTW, according to this article on the Texans official website, it appears the pick we are sending to Cleveland in the Duke Johnson trade will be the Mathieu comp pick (https://www.houstontexans.com/news/texans-have-6-nfl-draft-picks-in-2020-with-more-to-come). This lines up with OTC's draft order as well.

Are they getting a comp 3rd or 4th for KJax as well?

Here's my before All Star games mock

2. James Lynch- Watt Light
3. Oluwole Betiku- Former 5 star transfer from USC to Illinois. Better Mercilus.
3. Troy Dye LB that's good in coverage and has some pass rush potential. 10 yrs NFL player, should be great on ST's.
4. Bravion Roy Big dude that can move. Allows Reader to play more DE and really improves the run defense.
4. Kendrick Rodgers- Big WR can get deep, great RZ target, potential stud only reason he's here is he's very green and this is a deep WR class.
5. Jon Runyan- Great bloodlines Played LT in college can play RT in pros. Will start at G early in his career. Solid guy
7. Benjimin Victor- Slot WR, You can never go wrong picking an OSU WR this late in the draft. Unlike Coutee this guy is a great route runner.
7. Jared Hilbers- Washington, Has played LT when Adams was out. Played RT/OG some also. Great swing OT prospect.
7. Tavien Feaster- Transfer from Clemson to South Carolina, no shame in not being able to beat out Eitenne. Runs hard, good speed, good in pass pro and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Byron Jones and re-signing Roby would be my priority FA's along with another Addae type signing.

Last edited:
I ran across Betiku a few weeks ago and was intrigued. I did not know that he had declared. He would be a good pick in round 3 were he available. As far as Comp picks are concerned, it seems the prevailing wisdom is that Jackson's suspension drops his value from a round 3 to a Round 4 which would then be cancelled out by the Roby signing. It'd be nice if we kept pick 90 and scored a 3rd round comp pick for Jackson but I'll be happy for just one of those things to happen.

Two mocks- No repeat players (this is without the comp picks, but with us giving CLE the Mathieu comp pick for Johnson):

2nd- Damon Arnette CB
3rd- Zach Baun Edge
4th- Kyle Dugger S
4th- Logan Stenberg iOL
5th- Antonio Gibson RB/WR
7th- Logan Wilson LB

2nd- Bradlee Anae Edge
3rd- Darnay Holmes CB
4th- Ke’Shawn Vaughn RB
4th- Shane Lemieux OG
5th- Dane Jackson CB
7th- Isaiah Wright WR/KR

BTW, according to this article on the Texans official website, it appears the pick we are sending to Cleveland in the Duke Johnson trade will be the Mathieu comp pick (https://www.houstontexans.com/news/texans-have-6-nfl-draft-picks-in-2020-with-more-to-come). This lines up with OTC's draft order as well.

If this isn't proof enough how O'Brian is throwing away draft equity, letting more talented players @ positions of need go because of personal dislike, then I don't know what is. Should have kept both badger and KJ and picks. Trying to mock this useless interm GM is a pointless waste of time and effort, to which I'll pass for first time in team history.

Best news I've heard today! I had seen this statement elsewhere but did not believe it. That means we keep either our original third round pick or the one we got from Seattle. The other should go to Raiders for Conley, unless it could be A third-round comp for Kareem Jackson. Many on the MB posted we would not have any picks in the third round.

I ran across Betiku a few weeks ago and was intrigued. I did not know that he had declared. He would be a good pick in round 3 were he available. As far as Comp picks are concerned, it seems the prevailing wisdom is that Jackson's suspension drops his value from a round 3 to a Round 4 which would then be cancelled out by the Roby signing. It'd be nice if we kept pick 90 and scored a 3rd round comp pick for Jackson but I'll be happy for just one of those things to happen.
Jackson had a very good season before being suspended the last two games of the season. Starting 13 games he had 70 combined tackles 10 passes defended & two interceptions. Just my opinion that he is equal to a third round pick.

Two mocks- No repeat players (this is without the comp picks, but with us giving CLE the Mathieu comp pick for Johnson):

2nd- Damon Arnette CB
3rd- Zach Baun Edge
4th- Kyle Dugger S
4th- Logan Stenberg iOL
5th- Antonio Gibson RB/WR
7th- Logan Wilson LB

2nd- Bradlee Anae Edge
3rd- Darnay Holmes CB
4th- Ke’Shawn Vaughn RB
4th- Shane Lemieux OG
5th- Dane Jackson CB
7th- Isaiah Wright WR/KR
Like your first two picks but I would reverse the rounds. Also would consider AJ Terrell Clemson for our second round pick if we can't get running back Dobbins. He compares to Josh Jacobs Raiders in would be a great addition 4 Watson

Like your first two picks but I would reverse the rounds. Also would consider AJ Terrell Clemson for our second round pick if we can't get running back Dobbins. He compares to Josh Jacobs Raiders in would be a great addition 4 Watson
I thinks Dobbins will go late Rd1/early Rd 2, and I don’t see us moving up to get him.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s depth in the Edge class, so ideally I’d like for us to take one in 2 or 3. Hopefully the need for other positions will push some players down.
I like Terrell, but I don’t know if he has enough length for the Texans. In the past the FO has really paid attention to measurements, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s depth in the Edge class, so ideally I’d like for us to take one in 2 or 3. Hopefully the need for other positions will push some players down.
I like Terrell, but I don’t know if he has enough length for the Texans. In the past the FO has really paid attention to measurements, but I could be wrong.
FA is the biggie on how draft will go; if we bring in a stud CB & Safety Tashaun Gipson returns 100% as he should that will take some pressure off front 7. Edge possibly available round 2-3 : Zack Baun dude is amazing and I have seen one analyst "pushing" as he put it Baun into first round; Kenny Willekes; Ethan Weaver; Kuong Deng U of Cali; Charles Snowden listed at 6'7" 235 (have not seen him but good stats); Terrell Lewis; Anfernee Jenkins; Darrell Taylor; Jubari Zuniga; Johnathan Greenard; Bradlee Anaee; Alton Robinson to name some. *Note Some may have returned to school as I've not had time to verify.

I also liked small school Demetrius Harris SIAC defensive player of year but I think he returned.

Like it or not, I believe we will have basically same guys as 2019 so emphasis by team may not be same. DUke Ejifor may be the guy we all looking for!

I've taken more time to get better acquainted with the players in the 2020 NFL Draft and feel much better about this effort versus the 1.0 I did on 31 Dec, which was a tad early. This Mock will provide answers to areas of need but it's based on which area gets addressed first.

This is my 2020 NFL Mock Draft 2.0:

RD2-25-057: OC- Cesar Ruiz / Michigan / 6-4 @ 319 lbs / Has the tools, size and strength to start immediately. No need to add more info to this pick. I'd simply be blown away to find him still on the board at pick 57. This pick would make Martin expendable in a trade. Getting an answer like this, this early would give the team an opportunity to shop Martin around RD4 for a pick.

CP3-37-101: RB- Nick Moss / Utah / 5-10 @ 222 lbs / He can do it all as a RB....including pass block. He has functional speed and runs downhill. If losing Hyde is inevitable....Moss should be a nice replacement. I'd like to see Hyde come back and allow Moss a season to develop his NFL field vision as he adjusts to the speed of the game.

RD4-05-???: RG- Ben Cleveland / Georgia / 6-7 @ 340 lbs / Has the size and strength to play RG effectively. He needs to lose some weight but having someone with his stature along side Howard could be an awesome match in both the passing and running game.

RD4-25-???: EDGE- Nick Coe / Auburn / 6-5 @ 291 lbs / This guy has the length and size to be the other DE or EDGE opposite Watt. He's got a strong motor and could become a devastating player given time with Watt and the coaching staff.

RD5-25-???: CB / Demarcus Acy / Missouri / 6-1 @ 195 lbs / Is capable of being a 1 cover man. Has nice 4.4-40 speed to go with decent size. I'd like to see him get a season behind a veteran.....a veteran UFA the Texans should be looking to sign for 2020.

RD7-26-???: SS / Kenny Robinson / West Virginia / 6-1 @ 202 lbs / Nice size to help cover the TE's and the speed (4.4-40) to help cover SWR's. Likes to hit which is the calling card of a good safety. Work him in slowly but should be ready in 2021.....unless he proves he's ready this season.

CP7-34-???: WR / Marquez Callaway / Tennessee / 6-2 @ 190 lbs / This could be a dream come true in the COMP Picks of the 7th round. He has the size and hands to handle the spot but it's his 4.3-40 speed that may bump him up into the mid rounds versus seeing him hang in there and still be on the board this late. Could be a 2017 knee jury that has teams weary but isn't that what scored teams away from Foster? If he's there use the pick.....or maybe the Texans should use the 26th pick in RD7 to secure his services if he's still on the board. This pick would make Coutee completely expendable and available for trade but the pick would be in the 2021 NFL Draft....probably a Conditional RD5 based on performance.

CP7-35-???: CB / Kevin McGill / Eastern Michigan / 6-0 @ 200 lbs / Just a solid pick late in the draft who could play himself onto the Texans roster as a ST's player. He wa sa solid CB1 in college but probably needs a season or two before he's ready for any FT competition. Runs a solid 4.5-40 but his quickness is there.

Look forward to the feedback.

I'm just going to list the players....not going to bore you with a slanted breakdown for each. If interested just look them up to discuss.

RD2-25-057: Denzel Mims / WR / Baylor / 6-3 @ 215 lbs

RD3-03-099: (COMP) Calvin Taylor, Jr / EDGE-DE / Kentucky / 6-9 @ 310 lbs

RD4-05-111: Ben Bredeson / RG / Michigan / 6-5 @ 325 lbs

RD4-25-131: Lamar Jackson / CB / Nebraska / 6-3 @ 215 lbs

RD5-24-169: Cole Van Lanen / OG-C / Wisconsin / 6-5 @ 312 lbs

RD7-25-239: NaQuan Jones / DT / Michigan St / 6-4 @ 323 lbs

RD7-03-249: (COMP) Jay Tufele / DT / USC / 6-3 @ 305 lbs

RD7-10-256: (COMP) Kelly Bryant / QB / Missouri / 6-2 @ 225 lbs
Bredeson and Van Lanen would be great targets for the Texans as likely would the others but those two in particular interest me very much.
I would not be surprised to see Van Lanen go substantially higher - he had a very good 2018 season and was the top rated OL according to PFF that year.

I've taken more time to get better acquainted with the players in the 2020 NFL Draft and feel much better about this effort versus the 1.0 I did on 31 Dec, which was a tad early. This Mock will provide answers to areas of need but it's based on which area gets addressed first.

This is my 2020 NFL Mock Draft 2.0:

RD2-25-057: OC- Cesar Ruiz / Michigan / 6-4 @ 319 lbs / Has the tools, size and strength to start immediately. No need to add more info to this pick. I'd simply be blown away to find him still on the board at pick 57. This pick would make Martin expendable in a trade. Getting an answer like this, this early would give the team an opportunity to shop Martin around RD4 for a pick.

CP3-37-101: RB- Nick Moss / Utah / 5-10 @ 222 lbs / He can do it all as a RB....including pass block. He has functional speed and runs downhill. If losing Hyde is inevitable....Moss should be a nice replacement. I'd like to see Hyde come back and allow Moss a season to develop his NFL field vision as he adjusts to the speed of the game.

RD4-05-???: RG- Ben Cleveland / Georgia / 6-7 @ 340 lbs / Has the size and strength to play RG effectively. He needs to lose some weight but having someone with his stature along side Howard could be an awesome match in both the passing and running game.

RD4-25-???: EDGE- Nick Coe / Auburn / 6-5 @ 291 lbs / This guy has the length and size to be the other DE or EDGE opposite Watt. He's got a strong motor and could become a devastating player given time with Watt and the coaching staff.

RD5-25-???: CB / Demarcus Acy / Missouri / 6-1 @ 195 lbs / Is capable of being a 1 cover man. Has nice 4.4-40 speed to go with decent size. I'd like to see him get a season behind a veteran.....a veteran UFA the Texans should be looking to sign for 2020.

RD7-26-???: SS / Kenny Robinson / West Virginia / 6-1 @ 202 lbs / Nice size to help cover the TE's and the speed (4.4-40) to help cover SWR's. Likes to hit which is the calling card of a good safety. Work him in slowly but should be ready in 2021.....unless he proves he's ready this season.

CP7-34-???: WR / Marquez Callaway / Tennessee / 6-2 @ 190 lbs / This could be a dream come true in the COMP Picks of the 7th round. He has the size and hands to handle the spot but it's his 4.3-40 speed that may bump him up into the mid rounds versus seeing him hang in there and still be on the board this late. Could be a 2017 knee jury that has teams weary but isn't that what scored teams away from Foster? If he's there use the pick.....or maybe the Texans should use the 26th pick in RD7 to secure his services if he's still on the board. This pick would make Coutee completely expendable and available for trade but the pick would be in the 2021 NFL Draft....probably a Conditional RD5 based on performance.

CP7-35-???: CB / Kevin McGill / Eastern Michigan / 6-0 @ 200 lbs / Just a solid pick late in the draft who could play himself onto the Texans roster as a ST's player. He wa sa solid CB1 in college but probably needs a season or two before he's ready for any FT competition. Runs a solid 4.5-40 but his quickness is there.

Look forward to the feedback.

Good players in this mock.

I would like them to address the defense with the higher picks and if they go offense with a high pick I hope that pick is a WR.

Last edited:
Edited/ Brain Fart

Thans for the fify

I think the Texans can get short term answers on defense via UFA for 2020. There are plenty of 1 to 2 season answers within the 2020 FA class. Texans can get players to fill holes on defense while they do their best to get solid developmental players in the next two drafts.

Was looking for size and speed after RD5.....I think I found those players.

I think the Texans can get short term answers on defense via UFA for 2020. There are plenty of 1 to 2 season answers within the 2020 FA class. Texans can get players to fill holes on defense while they do their best to get solid developmental players in the next two drafts.

Was looking for size and speed after RD5.....I think I found those players.

Agreed, But this is a really deep CB class. They need to take advantage of this. There are also some S/DL that I like alot that will be there in the 2nd rd.

Agreed, But this is a really deep CB class. They need to take advantage of this. There are also some S/DL that I like alot that will be there in the 2nd rd.

My Mock focused on offense since it requires the fewest fixes to be fairly potent provided the staff is on board with unleashing it. I've put aside my desire of getting Scherff but in the same vein the team must have answers on the OL. FA isn't going to be great for productive offensive pieces. Adding Ruiz at Center and getting Cleveland could answer some areas of concern right away on the OL. As I mentioned, if Ruiz is there in RD2, good chance the Texans could move Martin on draft day and get another pick in possibly RD3 or RD4. That's another CB or Safety in a deep defensive draft.

Bredeson and Van Lanen would be great targets for the Texans as likely would the others but those two in particular interest me very much.
I would not be surprised to see Van Lanen go substantially higher - he had a very good 2018 season and was the top rated OL according to PFF that year.

Actually, if Bredeson slipped to RD3-25, and if rumors became fact about the trade for DJ where the Texans keep their RD3 pick and lose their COMP3 to the Browns instead.....I'd probably hire Usain Bolt to run the selection to the podium.

If the Texans could somehow walk away from RD2 and RD3 with Ruiz and Bredeson, the OL would be extremely young and extremely talented. Ruiz and Bredeson have instant chemistry and come from an NFL style offense.....their impact could be immediate.

LT- Tunsil (4 yr + Pro Bowl)
LG- Scharping (1 yr)
OC- Ruiz (R)
RG- Bredeson (R)
RT- Howard (1 yr)

Ruiz and Bredeson both possess NFL size, strength and the proper gray matter between their ears to be Day 1 starters in the NFL.

Sign Tunsil this year or next and this group would have the next 3-4 years together. Tunsil would be signed 20 or 21. Scharping would be in 23. Ruiz would be in 24. Bredeson would be in 24. Howard would be in 24 or 25. If this group were to be producing, their new contract times would happen in a manner that the Texans could keep this group together through their first FA period. It could represent a 4-9 year unit.

By the way.......I'd love to see OB use some of the gray matter between his ears and try to find a way to hire Bruce Mathews as a Special Assistant OL Coach to help figure out where Devlin is screwing the pooch. Mostly to give this young talent some much needed coaching from a versatile HoF offensive lineman. At this point, anything would be better than watching Devlin duck up this kind of young talent.

Last edited:
i know you guys dislike Martin, but I cannot see them trading him immediately after signing him to an extension. IMO, I could see Coutee, McKinney, and, perhaps, Reader in a tag and trade scenario.

i do like a lot of the players being discussed in the mock drafts though.

Actually, if Bredeson slipped to RD3-25, and if rumors became fact about the trade for DJ where the Texans keep their RD3 pick and lose their COMP3 to the Browns instead.....I'd probably hire Usain Bolt to run the selection to the podium.

If the Texans could somehow walk away from RD2 and RD3 with Ruiz and Bredeson, the OL would be extremely young and extremely talented. Ruiz and Bredeson have instant chemistry and come from an NFL style offense.....their impact could be immediate.

LT- Tunsil (4 yr + Pro Bowl)
LG- Scharping (1 yr)
OC- Ruiz (R)
RG- Bredeson (R)
RT- Howard (1 yr)

Ruiz and Bredeson both possess NFL size, strength and the proper gray matter between their ears to be Day 1 starters in the NFL.

Sign Tunsil this year or next and this group would have the next 3-4 years together. Tunsil would be signed 20 or 21. Scharping would be in 23. Ruiz would be in 24. Bredeson would be in 24. Howard would be in 24 or 25. If this group were to be producing, their new contract times would happen in a manner that the Texans could keep this group together through their first FA period. It could represent a 4-9 year unit.

By the way.......I'd love to see OB use some of the gray matter between his ears and try to find a way to hire Bruce Mathews as a Special Assistant OL Coach to help figure out where Devlin is screwing the pooch. Mostly to give this young talent some much needed coaching from a versatile HoF offensive lineman. At this point, anything would be better than watching Devlin duck up this kind of young talent.

Martin isn't going anywhere.

A really good OG should be there in the 4th rd to replace Fulton.

Totally on board with bringing Matthews on board.

Lot of information swirling around since the Combine and Pro Days, which have begun. Latest news or rumors has OB possibly offering Hopkins for trade to recoup the picks he gave up for Tunsil. Why Hopkins? He has a favorable contract, he's easily a Top 3 WR, and one of he biggest reason, his cap hit would only be 3M.

Within the Yahoo Sports article the writer also mentioned OB alluding to focusing his desire to get young talent at OL, DL and DB. I looked at the prospects and working from the most current info I have a new draft that sort of falls closely to what Yahoo Sports mentioned.

RD2-25-057: AJ Dillon / RB / Boston College / 6-0 @ 247 lbs / 4.5-40

RD3-26-090: Alton Robinson / OLB - DE / Syracuse / 6-3 @ 264 lbs / 4.6-40

RD4-05-111: Parnell Motley / CB / Oklahoma / 6-1 @ 184 lbs / 4.4-40 (Projected)

RD4-25-131: Joe Gaziano / DE - OLB / Northwestern / 6-4 @ 270 lbs / ?.?-40

RD5-26-172: Donell Stanley / C - OG / South Carolina / 6-3 @ 324 lbs / 5.2-40

RD7-26-241: Gage Cervanka / RG - C / Clemson / 6-3 @ 321 lbs / 5.2-40 / 225lbs -39 (44 reps)

RD7-34-249: Matt Womack / OT - OG / Alabama / 6-7 @ 325 lbs / 5.2-40

RD7-36-251: Marquez Callaway / WR - KR / 6-1 @ 205 lbs / 4.5-40

I believe Dillon can answer the hole at RB. Robinson and Gaziano are solid young players. Gaziano is a tough edge setter and Robinson has the tools to get to the QB. Motley feels slighted by not getting a Combine invite and turned in a solid Pro Day performance. He's a true CB who can handle 1 on 1 coverage. Could be a real sleeper of teams stay away from him. Stanley, Cervanka and Womack offers solid young talent for the OL. The RD5 pick could go either Stanley or Cervanka based on how other teams view Cervanka's strength. All 3 could bring solid depth to the OL as a couple of guys are shown the door. Callaway could certainly be another one of those surprise players from Tennessee. Guy has a huge catch radius, will fight and win jump balls, has suction cups for hands, and was extremely successful as a punt returner. He goes ST's out of the gate to return kicks, then gradually gets worked into the passing game as he improves his route tree and route running. He's had some issues which is what probably cost him a lot of money but if they can get him on track and performing then the Texans could enjoy the high ceiling on this guy.

As for Free Agency I'd like to see 2 players made Texans.

I'll start with CB, Chris Harris, Jr out of Denver. Perfect pick-up and should mesh immediately with Roby based on their history and knowledge of one another. This move could set the table for Motley to develop properly.

I'd really like to add DE, Robert Quinn out of Dallas to make this defensive front whole again. I really like the idea of having Watt and Quinn together along with the young help in Robinson and Gaziano. I could always go DT if Quinn were to be signed and move away from Gaziano.

I'd also sign OLB Vic Beasley to a simple 1 YR prove-it contract. Hopefully VB has it in him to want to prove everyone wrong by having a Hyde type of season but on defense.

It could be a good move to add a few more inexpensive veteran UFA for bridging purposes. The Texans could wait but I think they would be better served if they get the Tunsil contract knocked out this season before tackling Watson's next season.

Anyways, have at it.

Last edited:
Fellow DraftNiks - What are your Favorite Draft Sites - 1) Information 2) Accuracy 3) Any other reason

Last edited:
Lot of information swirling around since the Combine and Pro Days, which have begun. Latest news or rumors has OB possibly offering Hopkins for trade to recoup the picks he gave up for Tunsil. Why Hopkins? He has a favorable contract, he's easily a Top 3 WR, and one of he biggest reason, his cap hit would only be 3M.

Within the Yahoo Sports article the writer also mentioned OB alluding to focusing his desire to get young talent at OL, DL and DB. I looked at the prospects and working from the most current info I have a new draft that sort of falls closely to what Yahoo Sports mentioned.

RD2-25-057: AJ Dillon / RB / Boston College / 6-0 @ 247 lbs / 4.5-40

RD3-26-090: Alton Robinson / OLB - DE / Syracuse / 6-3 @ 264 lbs / 4.6-40

RD4-05-111: Parnell Motley / CB / Oklahoma / 6-1 @ 184 lbs / 4.4-40 (Projected)

RD4-25-131: Joe Gaziano / DE - OLB / Northwestern / 6-4 @ 270 lbs / ?.?-40

RD5-26-172: Donell Stanley / C - OG / South Carolina / 6-3 @ 324 lbs / 5.2-40

RD7-26-241: Gage Cervanka / RG - C / Clemson / 6-3 @ 321 lbs / 5.2-40 / 225lbs -39 (44 reps)

RD7-34-249: Matt Womack / OT - OG / Alabama / 6-7 @ 325 lbs / 5.2-40

RD7-36-251: Marquez Callaway / WR - KR / 6-1 @ 205 lbs / 4.5-40

I believe Dillon can answer the hole at RB. Robinson and Gaziano are solid young players. Gaziano is a tough edge setter and Robinson has the tools to get to the QB. Motley feels slighted by not getting a Combine invite and turned in a solid Pro Day performance. He's a true CB who can handle 1 on 1 coverage. Could be a real sleeper of teams stay away from him. Stanley, Cervanka and Womack offers solid young talent for the OL. The RD5 pick could go either Stanley or Cervanka based on how other teams view Cervanka's strength. All 3 could bring solid depth to the OL as a couple of guys are shown the door. Callaway could certainly be another one of those surprise players from Tennessee. Guy has a huge catch radius, will fight and win jump balls, has suction cups for hands, and was extremely successful as a punt returner. He goes ST's out of the gate to return kicks, then gradually gets worked into the passing game as he improves his route tree and route running. He's had some issues which is what probably cost him a lot of money but if they can get him on track and performing then the Texans could enjoy the high ceiling on this guy.

As for Free Agency I'd like to see 2 players made Texans.

I'll start with CB, Chris Harris, Jr out of Denver. Perfect pick-up and should mesh immediately with Roby based on their history and knowledge of one another. This move could set the table for Motley to develop properly.

I'd really like to add DE, Robert Quinn out of Dallas to make this defensive front whole again. I really like the idea of having Watt and Quinn together along with the young help in Robinson and Gaziano. I could always go DT if Quinn were to be signed and move away from Gaziano.

I'd also sign OLB Vic Beasley to a simple 1 YR prove-it contract. Hopefully VB has it in him to want to prove everyone wrong by having a Hyde type of season but on defense.

It could be a good move to add a few more inexpensive veteran UFA for bridging purposes. The Texans could wait but I think they would be better served if they get the Tunsil contract knocked out this season before tackling Watson's next season.

Anyways, have at it.

Well, there's going to be a do-over since all my favorite UFA's have signed elsewhere and the Texans will have their picks adjusted even though they haven't been announced officially as of yet.

I think OB has made it a priority to get his defensive backfield signed and black together....so I'm not expecting him to make a big push here.

He's got his receivers, I guess. I for one am not sold on this group but could be swayed somewhat if they all played 16 games in 2020.

I think OB wants to solidify his trenches in this draft and I'm always for this method of thinking since the pieces at the skill positions seem to be in place but the only thing that could unravel any potential success is thinking the trenches on both sides of the ball are good enough going into this season.

2020 NFL MOCK DRAFT 3.0

RD2-08-040: Cesar Ruiz / OG-OC / Michigan

RD2-25-056: Jordon Elliott / DT / Missouri

RD3-26-090: AJ Dillon / RB / Boston College

RD4-05-111: Alton Robinson / OLB / Syracuse

RD5-25-172: Joe Gaziano / DE / Northwestern

RD7-26-241: Gage Cervanka / RG / Clemson

RD7-34-249: Matt Womack / OT / Alabama

RD7-36-251: Marquez Callaway / WR-KR / Tennessee

With this draft, the Texans talent and depth issues in the trenches could be answered. I see Ruiz, Elliott, Robinson and Gaziano as athletes who could step in and contribute at positions of need from Day1. Adding Dillon is an absolute must otherwise the running game is in the hands of a broken down 11M dollar horse who should be relegated to being a 3rd down back. Even though the receiver room is packed, I just can't pass up the opportunity to add Callaway in RD7 who'd be a great addition to the group. He should have a season to develop as an emergency backup while working primarily as a solid return guy on ST's.

Back