Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

OptimisticTexan 2022 Mock Draft

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I started this a few weeks back and got about halfway through and lost the post all together. With the move happening and leaving Monterey in a few days I’m sitting here with a few minutes to tackle this once again before the storm hits for the final push.

Many sites are projecting the Texans to have the first pick in the draft and I’m going to play along.

Next issue, the trade of Watson which I think happens at one of two points.....before the deadline or during the next off-season. I suspect the return will roughly be the same. I like many others expect the Eagles to be the team to make the move but in my world, the Eagles and Texans strike a much larger deal. The Eagles have decided they’d like to protect their new investment in Watson by asking and receiving LT, Tunsil in this much bigger deal. In return for receiving Tunsil.....the Eagles include CB, Darius Slay and OL, Landon Dickerson along with their 2022 (3) RD1 picks and 2023 RD1 and RD2 picks.

Caserio playing the desire of other teams in panic-mode regarding their QB situation finds a taker for the #1 pick in the Giants who will pay to make the move up. Giants send their 2022 RD1-08, RD1-11, and their 2023 RD2. The moves would result in the following projected draft position:

ADDED:
CB- Darius Slay (PHI)
OL- Landon Dickerson (PHI)

2021 NFL DRAFT
RD1-06-006: (PHI) CB- Derek Stingley, LSU
RD1-08-008: (NYG) SS- Kyle Hamilton, Notre Dame
RD1-11-011: (NYG) DL- DeMarvin Leal, Texas A&M
RD1-20-020: (PHI) WR- Garrett Wilson, Ohio State
RD1-24-024: (PHI) DE- Zach Harrison, Ohio State

RD2-01-033: LT- Abraham Lucas, Washington State

RD3-01-065: RB- Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M

RD4-01-097+: CB- Alontae Taylor, Tennessee

RD5-01-129+:

RD6-01-161+:

RD7-21-213+: DAL

2023 NFL DRAFT
RD1 PHI
RD2 PHI
RD2 NYG

Defense would be getting the main focus within the first 110 picks in the draft.

Last edited:
I started this a few weeks back and got about halfway through and lost the post all together. With the move happening and leaving Monterey in a few days I’m sitting here with a few minutes to tackle this once again before the storm hits for the final push.

Many sites are projecting the Texans to have the first pick in the draft and I’m going to play along.

Next issue, the trade of Watson which I think happens at one of two points.....before the deadline or during the next off-season. I suspect the return will roughly be the same. I like many others expect the Eagles to be the team to make the move but in my world, the Eagles and Texans strike a much larger deal. The Eagles have decided they’d like to protect their new investment in Watson by asking and receiving LT, Tunsil in this much bigger deal. In return for receiving Tunsil.....the Eagles include CB, Darius Slay and OL, Landon Dickerson along with their 2022 (3) RD1 picks and 2023 RD1 and RD2 picks.

Caserio playing the desire of other teams in panic-mode regarding their QB situation finds a taker for the #1 pick in the Giants who will pay to make the move up. Giants send their 2022 RD1-08, RD1-11, and their 2023 RD2. The moves would result in the following projected draft position:

RD1-06-006: (PHI) CB- Derek Stingley, LSU
RD1-08-008: (NYG) SS- Kyle Hamilton, Notre Dame
RD1-11-011: (NYG) DL- DeMarvin Leal, Texas A&M
RD1-20-020: (PHI) WR- Garrett Wilson, Ohio State
RD1-24-024: (PHI) DE- Zach Harrison, Ohio State

RD2-01-033: OT- Abraham Lucas, Washington State

RD3-01-065: RB- Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M

RD4-01-097+: CB- Alontae Taylor, Tennessee

RD5-01-129+:

RD6-01-161+:

RD7-21-213+: DAL

2023 NFL DRAFT

RD1 PHI
RD2 PHI
RD2 NYG

Defense would be getting the main focus within the first 110 picks in the draft.
Now you talkin! I really have no issues with your draft picks or the players you choose although mine would be slightly different perhaps. I'm okay with the swap of Base salaries for this season for both Darius Slay and laremy tunsil at about a million dollars each. However I really don't want Darius Slay 2022 and Beyond cap hit. As a thirty-year-old he seems to be tending downward or at least as I see it. If I was Philly and bringing DW aboard hopefully to play this season, I would want to keep Darius Slay and hope he returns to his moniker of big play slay. Davante Adams and d k Metcalf gave him a hard time in back-to-back games this past season but he was not a hundred percent if I remember correctly.

Watson and Devonta Smith would terrorize other teams.

I also considered the trade down with the Giants and also taking Leal from Texas A & M. I did decide to not do that trade and use 1.1 for Thibodaux. Thibodeaux's hype reminds me of Chase Youngs. Plus I see Derek Stingley whom I also want going much higher than 1.8.

If the DW to Philly trade is made after the 2021 season the draft as I see it would be Houston with the first pick and Eagles with three or four. If that happens Thibodeau would be my pick for Houston and then Derek Stingley with the Eagle's pick for us.

Do you think the Ohio State Tackle will be your starter?

Now you talkin! I really have no issues with your draft picks or the players you choose although mine would be slightly different perhaps. I'm okay with the swap of Base salaries for this season for both Darius Slay and laremy tunsil at about a million dollars each. However I really don't want Darius Slay 2022 and Beyond cap hit. As a thirty-year-old he seems to be tending downward or at least as I see it. If I was Philly and bringing DW aboard hopefully to play this season, I would want to keep Darius Slay and hope he returns to his moniker of big play slay. Davante Adams and d k Metcalf gave him a hard time in back-to-back games this past season but he was not a hundred percent if I remember correctly.

Watson and Devonta Smith would terrorize other teams.

I also considered the trade down with the Giants and also taking Leal from Texas A & M. I did decide to not do that trade and use 1.1 for Thibodaux. Thibodeaux's hype reminds me of Chase Youngs. Plus I see Derek Stingley whom I also want going much higher than 1.8.

If the DW to Philly trade is made after the 2021 season the draft as I see it would be Houston with the first pick and Eagles with three or four. If that happens Thibodeau would be my pick for Houston and then Derek Stingley with the Eagle's pick for us.

Do you think the Ohio State Tackle will be your starter?

The guy I liked was the LT from Washington State, Abraham Lucas who should be a plug-n-play pick. Add Landon Dickerson into the mix and I think the Texans long term OL woes might finally be in the rear view mirror.

As for Slay....would love his veteran leadership for Stingley and Taylor. Slay still has his speed and could move to FS where he could continue to help the young CB’s.

3:30 in the morning... WOW!

Honestly, I love you guys.

0130 in Monterey, CA. I catnapped and woke up around 0100 in the hotel room ( Navy Lodge). My wife was sound asleep and I was suddenly wide awake. Figured I get this post done before the meetings and final packing commenced.

The guy I liked was the LT from Washington State, Abraham Lucas who should be a plug-n-play pick. Add Landon Dickerson into the mix and I think the Texans long term OL woes might finally be in the rear view mirror.

As for Slay....would love his veteran leadership for Stingley and Taylor. Slay still has his speed and could move to FS where he could continue to help the young CB’s.
Good discussion! I did not consider darrius for safety due to his cap hit for the rest of his contract. He's getting paid like a shutdown corner. I am down for almost anything that moves Tunsil's contract last 2 years.

Will be leaving next week and driving back home to Atascocita, TX. We will get a much need -2 months of leave....then we’re off to France.
Do you have any concerns that Abraham Lucas might have difficulty starting day one at left tackle in Houston as he has never played that position before and is not scheduled to this year?

Back