Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

OptimisticTexan 2022 Mock…..No Trades

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Yep….no trades. Texans have signed or re-signed most of the trench personnel for 2022, which leads me to believe that Caserio may be prepared to target skill position players on both sides of the ball in the draft as a primary priority.

MOCK

RD1-003: SS- Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame)
RD1-013: WR- Chris Olave (Ohio State)

RD2-037: RB- Breece Hall (Iowa State)

RD3-068: DE- Cameron Thomas (SDSU)
RD3-080: FS- Nick Cross (Maryland)

RD4-107: CB- Coby Bryant (Cincinnati)
RD4-108: RB- Pierre Strong, Jr (South Dakota State)

RD6-183: SWR- Danny Gray (SMU)
RD6-205: RG/RT- Ryan Van Demark (Connecticut)
RD6-207: RG/RT- Andrew Stueber (Michigan)

RD7-245: CB- Kalon Barnes (Baylor) **Might have this athlete facing the play as often as possible and have him try returning the ball on ST’s to utilize his speed.**

Last edited:
Yep….no trades. Texans have signed or re-signed most of the trench personnel for 2022, which leads me to believe that Caserio may be prepared to target skill position players on both sides of the ball in the draft as a primary priority.

MOCK

RD6-205: RG/RT- Ryan Van Denmark (Connecticut)

RD7-245: CB- Kalon Barnes (Baylor) **Might have this athlete facing the play as often as possible and have try returning the ball on ST’s to utilize his speed.**
I see several mocks where we get Hamilton. For no sound reason I don’t want a safety at that spot. Please correct me. I’m open to change.

I see several mocks where we get Hamilton. For no sound reason I don’t want a safety at that spot. Please correct me. I’m open to change.

Before he ran the 40 at the Combine…..he was generational type of player based on his work done on the field of play. He was touted as being a freak with his size, speed, ball hawk skills, and ability to come up and play the run. He has the speed to play outside, inside, and in the box. His 40 was projected at a low 4.4-40. That projection was probably based on the scouts with stop watches at his games. I wouldn’t let a Combine performance outweigh what our eyes told us about Hamilton throughout his career at Notre Dame. Watch his tape or highlights if you want a better picture.

MOCK

RD6-205: RG/RT- Ryan Van Denmark (Connecticut)

RD7-245: CB- Kalon Barnes (Baylor) **Might have this athlete facing the play as often as possible and have try returning the ball on ST’s to utilize his speed.**

Texans have obtained the Browns RD4-107 pick as part of the Watson trade.

Before he ran the 40 at the Combine…..he was generational type of player based on his work done on the field of play. He was touted as being a freak with his size, speed, ball hawk skills, and ability to come up and play the run. He has the speed to play outside, inside, and in the box. His 40 was projected at a low 4.4-40. That projection was probably based on the scouts with stop watches at his games. I wouldn’t let a Combine performance outweigh what our eyes told us about Hamilton throughout his career at Notre Dame. Watch his tape or highlights if you want a better picture.

Just curious if Cloak weighed in on his injury and recovery moving forward? Not career ending, mild mcl only or as former Coach Kelly said, “fat pad impingement” around his knee. This would help explain his Combine numbers and shutting it down his season, playing only 7 games.

I believe however he is a high character guy and great teammate. The Combines main purpose is medicals, not sure those are made public, but teams know.

I watched some of his stuff during the combine. But didn’t doc say he had a lisfranc or something? That stuff just makes me nervous in a Clowney sort of way.

I watched some of his stuff during the combine. But didn’t doc say he had a lisfranc or something? That stuff just makes me nervous in a Clowney sort of way.

Lisfranc applied to CB Darrel Stingley. Ojabo tore his acl during Georgia's Pro Day. Hamilton was a mild mcl that didn't require surgery, but CloakNNNdagger would know for sure. Real bummer about Stingley otherwise he would be in the conversation.

OT I like your mock.
I am pretty much locked in with Ahmad sauce Gardner at Pick 3. At 13 if Charles Cross or Kyle Hamilton is there it's going to be a flip of a coin. Cross is the purest left tackle in draft IMO; Hamilton remains a generational type player despite his 40. Pro day March 25th should have audience.
3 Sauce 13 Hamilton 37 Zion 68 Salyer 80 Petit-Frere

MOCK

RD6-205: RG/RT- Ryan Van Demark (Connecticut)

RD7-245: CB- Kalon Barnes (Baylor) **Might have this athlete facing the play as often as possible and have him try returning the ball on ST’s to utilize his speed.**

Okay, I wasn’t supposed to add a trade in this Mock, but I’m just going to throw this out there for consumption.

Based on the players selected on the above Mock, what if the Packers pick is coming up at 28 and they didn’t select a WR at 22 b/c they went OL instead…..and CB- Dax Hill (Michigan) was still on the board. Would any of you, besides me, be willing to offer WR- Cooks and a 2023 RD2 to the Packers for the 28th pick?

2022 Defensive Backfield would have: SS- Kyle Hamilton, FS- Nick Cross, CB- Dax Hill, CB- Coby Bryant, and DB- Kalon Barnes.

Could be a pretty special group.

Okay, I wasn’t supposed to add a trade in this Mock, but I’m just going to throw this out there for consumption.

Based on the players selected on the above Mock, what if the Packers pick is coming up at 28 and they didn’t select a WR at 22 b/c they went OL instead…..and CB- Dax Hill (Michigan) was still on the board. Would any of you, besides me, be willing to offer WR- Cooks and a 2023 RD2 to the Packers for the 28th pick?

2022 Defensive Backfield would have: SS- Kyle Hamilton, FS- Nick Cross, CB- Dax Hill, CB- Coby Bryant, and DB- Kalon Barnes.

I would like to see a seasoned vet in there to captain that backfield! 5 rooks would lead to confusion.

Lisfranc applied to CB Darrel Stingley. Ojabo tore his acl during Georgia's Pro Day. Hamilton was a mild mcl that didn't require surgery, but CloakNNNdagger would know for sure. Real bummer about Stingley otherwise he would be in the conversation.
Ok thanks. Im pretty sure he ran the slowest 40 for safeties at the combine so I thought maybe it had to do with some injury.

OT I like your mock.
I am pretty much locked in with Ahmad sauce Gardner at Pick 3. At 13 if Charles Cross or Kyle Hamilton is there it's going to be a flip of a coin. Cross is the purest left tackle in draft IMO; Hamilton remains a generational type player despite his 40. Pro day March 25th should have audience.
3 Sauce 13 Hamilton 37 Zion 68 Salyer 80 Petit-Frere

this generational tag has to be earned, in the league. We all see the special athlete having size/speed advantage over his peers, but staying healthy, growing into that frame with hard work, passion to continue pushing is rare.
These injuries suck, ugly side of playing sports. Think both Cross and Sauce are clean prospects in this all important category with intangibles to achieve greatness, that’s what I’m looking for, be damned where they’re drafted, teams with all the money, analytics and resources make mistakes all the time.

I would like to see a seasoned vet in there to captain that backfield! 5 rooks would lead to confusion.
During their 1981 Super Bowl season, the 49ers started 3 rookies (Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson) and a 3rd year vet (Dwight Hicks) in their secondary. So, it's worked before.

And what if there is some early confusion? They would be learning on the job and be ready to compete sooner. The Texans will not do this. But I wouldn't have any problems with it. It's not as if they would be taking snaps away from a Pro Bowler.

I did read some statistics that covered first round draft picks over the last 25 years. It looked at pro bowl players at each position as a percentage of the picks at that position. Number one was Safeties and almost none of them were top five picks. The lowest %age by position was QB, mostly picked in the top five. Tells me to be real careful with the hype.

During their 1981 Super Bowl season, the 49ers started 3 rookies (Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson) and a 3rd year vet (Dwight Hicks) in their secondary. So, it's worked before.

And what if there is some early confusion? They would be learning on the job and be ready to compete sooner. The Texans will not do this. But I wouldn't have any problems with it. It's not as if they would be taking snaps away from a Pro Bowler.
Fair enough - I guess I am just old school and prefer to see sound leadership.

Nope, and I like Hill

I'm not taking away the best wr Mills has at this point in his development.

I'm not taking away the best wr Mills has at this point in his development.
I'm against trading key picks in the 2023 draft. There's a lot of assuming that Davis Mills will step up into franchise QB territory. That has yet to be seen. Keeping 2023 picks (and maybe obtaining more) will be important if the Texans decide to go QB hunting next offseason.

I'm against trading key picks in the 2023 draft. There's a lot of assuming that Davis Mills will step up into franchise QB territory. That has yet to be seen. Keeping 2023 picks (and maybe obtaining more) will be important if the Texans decide to go QB hunting next offseason.
Agree.
It's not like we are stiffed for draft picks this go round...

I like the draft...but I really think we need to improve our rush. Meaning I would like to see a good or great Edge rusher or OLB taken earlier. It does not have to be one of the top 2 projected guys. Plus, this is no trades version. If we are going to move around then no telling what we may have. I can see Nick Caserio trading for more picks with the 3rd pick traded. I say that only if he is not 110% on anyone at #3. Seeing that pick in a trade (and I 100% see us trading one of the 1st round picks) can net us perhaps a good to great player and a later 1st or a few 2nd and 3rd round picks. In other words I see him going slam dunk gathering as much good talent as we can. Next year is perhaps a zero trade as we (with luck) get multiple players who are foundation types.

honestly, he looks like a high 4.4 - 4.5 guy on film…not ball hawk fast, but fast enough. But also on film, he’s always around the ball…which speaks to his instincts…they’re very good…which is why I love him. Those instincts can make up for non-ideal speed.

but yeah, the kid was coming off some knee issue from college so I think that factored in 40 at the combine. I expect he’ll run a little bit better at ND’s pro day

What do you think of Kamah Grugier-Hill Jalen Reeves-Maybin, & Kevin Pierre-Lewis?

I’m starting to see a trend.
I miss the “Welcome to the Texans….” Stuff. I would love to hear more about Maybin. Nick said he tried to sign him last year but it didn’t work out. Dude sounds like a Baller that loves football. Detroit fans didn’t want to lose him. What does anyone know about this guy? I’ll bet Baller‘s got some say

Mills showed me enough last yr under bad circumstances to make me think he's the Texans future at QB. I understand why you think the way you do though.

Let me ask you this, do you think a well protected Mills with a run game against the Chargers was an aberration. I dont and want to see what Mills looks like when he's got more talent around him. BTW, I agree with holding onto the 2023 picks as a hedge if I'm wrong. The Texans really are in a win-win situation.

Mills showed me enough last yr under bad circumstances to make me think he's the Texans future at QB. I understand why you think the way you do though.

Let me ask you this, do you think a well protected Mills with a run game against the Chargers was an aberration. I dont and want to see what Mills looks like when he's got more talent around him. BTW, I agree with holding onto the 2023 picks as a hedge if I'm wrong. The Texans really are in a win-win situation.
Just imagine - a solid running game will add a whole new dimension to his game!

I just did this No Trade Mock. It looks pretty good…..feedback?

MOCK

RD1-003: LG- Ikem Ekwonu (NC State)
RD1-013: LB- Devin Lloyd (Utah) / **SS- Kyle Hamilton (ND) If He Slips To 13**

RD3-068: WR- Alec Pierce (Cincinnati)

RD4-107: CB- Zyon McCollum (Sam Houston State)
RD4-108: TE- Jeremy Ruckert (Ohio State)

RD6-183: SS- Sterling Weatherford (Miami-Ohio) / **DL- Chris Hinton (MI) If Texans Draft Hamilton**
RD6-205: RG- Ryan Van Demark (Connecticut)
RD6-207: RT- Andrew Stueber (Michigan)

RD7-245: DE- Tyree Johnson (Texas A&M)

Last edited:
I just did this No Trade Mock. It looks pretty good…..feedback?

MOCK

RD1-003: LG- Ikem Ekwonu (NC State)
RD1-013: LB- Devin Lloyd (Utah) / **SS- Kyle Hamilton (ND) If He Slips To 13**

RD3-068: WR- Alec Pierce (Cincinnati)

RD4-107: CB- Zyon McCollum (Sam Houston State)
RD4-108: TE- Jeremy Ruckert (Ohio State)

RD6-183: SS- Sterling Weatherford (Miami-Ohio) / **DL- Chris Hinton (MI) If Texans Draft Hamilton**
RD6-205: RG- Ryan Van Demark (Connecticut)
RD6-207: RT- Andrew Stueber (Michigan)

RD7-245: DE- Tyree Johnson (Texas A&M)

Nice players and position fits. I would prefer another OL/DL at 13 and 37 instead of LB/RB due to higher positional value but can’t fault the players selected!

Back