Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

*Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Titans Game 2, Sunday Sept 16, 2018!!

Really? i don't recall the previous special teams coach under BoB getting a fake punt thrown on him for a TD...Me thinks this was all one Mr. Seely who allowed that to happen.
So BOB admits that they studied it during the week and BOB didn't straighten Seely out and tell him to cover the guy? Even if he's just covering for Seely and it was Seely's mistake, BOB didn't notice it the week before and make sure it got fixed? Best argument is that he missed it the week before because he was working with the offense because he's the OC, but that's still on BOB that he doesn't have someone to manage the game while he's doing his OC thing. Which is preferable, a HC that doesn't know that it happened the week before or one that did know and did nothing about it? I think you're going way too easy on BOB after this game.

So BOB admits that they studied it during the week and BOB didn't straighten Seely out and tell him to cover the guy? Even if he's just covering for Seely and it was Seely's mistake, BOB didn't notice it the week before and make sure it got fixed? Best argument is that he missed it the week before because he was working with the offense because he's the OC, but that's still on BOB that he doesn't have someone to manage the game while he's doing his OC thing. Which is preferable, a HC that doesn't know that it happened the week before or one that did know and did nothing about it? I think you're going way too easy on BOB after this game.

& I think you think that this is high school football where coaches get reamed Nick Saban style. These are grown professional men. HC's have so much other **** to worry about, you really have to leave your subordinate coaches to it and trust that they're on their ****. You've seen hard knocks, you see how coaches "meet" and talk about stuff. At the end of the day, the guy has "ST coach" as his title for a reason.

& I think you think that this is high school football where coaches get reamed Nick Saban style. These are grown professional men. HC's have so much other **** to worry about, you really have to leave your subordinate coaches to it and trust that they're on their ****. You've seen hard knocks, you see how coaches "meet" and talk about stuff. At the end of the day, the guy has "ST coach" as his title for a reason.
Who said anything about reaming anyone out? Just point it out and make sure it gets fixed. And this is exactly the **** that HC's should worry about. It's details like this that amount to spotting your opponent 7 points on the road and having the 2nd worst record in 1 score games. If your bar is that low, I understand why you're absolving BOB. I expect more out of a HC in their 5th season.

Who said anything about reaming anyone out? Just point it out and make sure it gets fixed. And this is exactly the **** that HC's should worry about. It's details like this that amount to spotting your opponent 7 points on the road and having the 2nd worst record in 1 score games. If your bar is that low, I understand why you're absolving BOB. I expect more out of a HC in their 5th season.

Im not absolving anything, I just know you gotta let guys do their jobs..

I think you both make good points ..... BUT DAMN, MAX ..... you've got to take better care of yourself !! I always start reading the post first, then somewhere later on, I glance over to see who wrote it. DAMN, MAX ..... I hate to tell anyone that they're homely, but each time I catch the first glimpse of that picture ..... I scream like a little girl !!!! Time has surely been ..... KIND ..... to you !

Reactions: Max
Somebody's pass blocking long enough.........and someone's not wanting to let go of the ball.

That’s a BS stat and you know it. Watson is able to scramble and extend that time. Someone like Savage wouldn’t.

Watching the Seahawks reminded me of our offense. The line is so bad that we can’t do anything. Wilson is a super bowl winning QB and he was swallowed up last night with pressure.

That’s a BS stat and you know it. Watson is able to scramble and extend that time. Someone like Savage wouldn’t.

Watching the Seahawks reminded me of our offense. The line is so bad that we can’t do anything. Wilson is a super bowl winning QB and he was swallowed up last night with pressure.
Stats not withstanding, anyone watching both of the first games saw Watson too many times holding onto the ball to long. This is not my opinion alone.......it has been generally reported by media and analysts.

Your sig cracks me up!

Here's a perfect example of Watson holding the ball in a critical situation..............with Hopkins wide open in the EZ.
VIDEO

lol way to take a snippet and make it look like the guy had all day to throw and simply didn't see Hopkins. The original read wasn't to Hopkins, the pocket broke down, he scrambled out of it towards Hopkins and when he saw him he made the throw, but it was a bad throw while on the run being chased. If you honestly look at the video and blame Watson for holding the ball too long you are crazy.

Bill O'Brien is an excellent coach. It's obvious the players suck here and are not listening to his instructions. If you don't believe me just look at Keenum and Fitzmagic, two players O'Brien coached up to be successful in the NFL.

:kitten:

lol way to take a snippet and make it look like the guy had all day to throw and simply didn't see Hopkins. The original read wasn't to Hopkins, the pocket broke down, he scrambled out of it towards Hopkins and when he saw him he made the throw, but it was a bad throw while on the run being chased. If you honestly look at the video and blame Watson for holding the ball too long you are crazy.
So you're saying that a QB is stuck to a first read (but that's been Watson's problem to begin with)? Those defenders were never closer than 5 yds from him. And Hopkins was wide open way before that point.

So you're saying that a QB is stuck to a first read (but that's been Watson's problem to begin with)? Those defenders were never closer than 5 yds from him. And Hopkins was wide open way before that point.

I don't think its that he's stuck to a 1st read, I just think he's not recognizing things quite as fast as he needs to. BoB made reference to this in regards to the offense as a whole with blitzes in his presser yesterday.

You have no idea what his reads were, nor do I. he clearly wasn't looking to his right at all and then he felt the pocket collapsing so he escaped. This would be a totally different conversation if he was able to make a better throw and complete it. The fact he even saw Hopkins and made the attempt is more than Savage or Brock would have ever been able to do. The pressure up the gut has been terrible and it screws with a QBs ability to trust himself. Look at Wilson

You have no idea what his reads were, nor do I. he clearly wasn't looking to his right at all and then he felt the pocket collapsing so he escaped. This would be a totally different conversation if he was able to make a better throw and complete it. The fact he even saw Hopkins and made the attempt is more than Savage or Brock would have ever been able to do. The pressure up the gut has been terrible and it screws with a QBs ability to trust himself. Look at Wilson

Look at Eli.

Pressure up the middle was definitely not the problem on that play. He was not running for his life on that play. I don't need to know what his reads were, a QB is supposed to be able to read the entire field, not wear blinders until the last second.

Hey, guys. This loss is on me. I just realized I didn't wear a Texans jersey or even a Texans ballcap Sunday. I was moving all weekend and it slipped my mind. Please find it in your heart to forgive me. Maybe I'll burn a Cowboys jersey as an offering to the football gods.

Hey, guys. This loss is on me. I just realized I didn't wear a Texans jersey or even a Texans ballcap Sunday. I was moving all weekend and it slipped my mind. Please find it in your heart to forgive me. Maybe I'll burn a Cowboys jersey as an offering to the football gods.
If you could fan better that'd be great.

my Dad did that in '05 with his White Sox stuff, he is originally from Chicago, didn't seem to help the Astros much

He’s obviously not wearing enough flair.
You saying I need to add some swag and bling?
shopping
upload_2018-9-18_13-49-43.jpegupload_2018-9-18_13-49-52.jpegupload_2018-9-18_13-50-4.jpegupload_2018-9-18_13-50-20.jpeg
shopping
shopping

Totally agree with the fact that Watson needs to process faster, and he needs to stop "feeling" phantom pressure, but looking at the all 22 of that play Hopkins wasn't wide open for very long.

Hopkins is lined up top of the screen.

upload_2018-9-18_16-47-8.png

Watson's first reads look like it's Akins or Griffin to his left, since he is looking right at them. After the snap Atkins has tight coverage, Griffin is doubled.

upload_2018-9-18_16-50-2.png

Watson did eventually come off his first read to check Miller and Ellington but still nowhere to go with the ball (Hopkins definitely not wide open yet)

upload_2018-9-18_16-53-41.png

Maybe could have tried Miller? But not looking for the ball, Hop still covered up.

Pats end starts to come around the double team (sheesh) and Watson feels a little pressure and takes off. The double team does eventually stabilize, if you watch the clip he probably didn't need to run and actually runs into pressure

In full flight and Hop finally makes his move to break free, which Watson sees and just misses (pic 4 and 5)

upload_2018-9-18_16-57-15.png

upload_2018-9-18_16-58-33.png

Whole play takes about 5 seconds give or take - and about 2.5 seconds before he starts to scramble (timings in my head from 1 mississippi so take that for what its worth).

Mods if I shouldn't be posting captures of the all 22 please delete.

Totally agree with the fact that Watson needs to process faster, and he needs to stop "feeling" phantom pressure, but looking at the all 22 of that play Hopkins wasn't wide open for very long.

Hopkins is lined up top of the screen.

Watson's first reads look like it's Akins or Griffin to his left, since he is looking right at them. After the snap Atkins has tight coverage, Griffin is doubled.

Watson did eventually come off his first read to check Miller and Ellington but still nowhere to go with the ball (Hopkins definitely not wide open yet)

Maybe could have tried Miller? But not looking for the ball, Hop still covered up.

Pats end starts to come around the double team (sheesh) and Watson feels a little pressure and takes off. The double team does eventually stabilize, if you watch the clip he probably didn't need to run and actually runs into pressure

In full flight and Hop finally makes his move to break free, which Watson sees and just misses (pic 4 and 5)

Whole play takes about 5 seconds give or take - and about 2.5 seconds before he starts to scramble (timings in my head from 1 mississippi so take that for what its worth).

Mods if I shouldn't be posting captures of the all 22 please delete.

To me, it appears that Watson is paying attention to only the left side of the field. In pic 2>3, with any anticipation Watson could have led Hopkins right into totally open space. Hopkins had his man isolated to the outside.

To me, it appears that Watson is paying attention to only the left side of the field. In pic 2>3, with any anticipation Watson could have led Hopkins right into totally open space. Hopkins had his man isolated to the outside.

Perhaps - but it's a pretty bang bang play... in two seconds he does a pretty good job of scanning the field. I think you made a point earlier that what teams are doing pre snap and post snap to disguise coverage is the issue here.

Pic 1 it looks like they are bringing the house and the QB will be able to have a quick hitter for a score to either Akin or Griffin. Pre read if he thinks the blitz / heavy rush is coming that will leave Akin open and isolated with the DB on a slant.

Again pre-read on Hop's side of the field there is a single high safety that could move over to double Hop.

But at the snap everyone drops into coverage and the Pat's only rush three - pic 2 Rankin is officially just a spectator until he moves to double because the Pats didn't rush with either the LB or Safety/CB lined up over Griffin as they both dropped into coverage.

Middle isn't open because the high safety that was lined up over Ellington didn't flow with Hop to the outside - so theoretically Watson should have read - drop coverage, safety to middle of field, Hop is 1 on 1, good odds there.

Or at least that is what I would have done in Madden :D Been awhile since I played any official football so just spit ballin here but just seems the Pat's called a better play than the Texans and were able to fool Watson. Only time and experience will help him fix that IMO.

Perhaps - but it's a pretty bang bang play... in two seconds he does a pretty good job of scanning the field. I think you made a point earlier that what teams are doing pre snap and post snap to disguise coverage is the issue here.

Pic 1 it looks like they are bringing the house and the QB will be able to have a quick hitter for a score to either Akin or Griffin. Pre read if he thinks the blitz / heavy rush is coming that will leave Akin open and isolated with the DB on a slant.

Again pre-read on Hop's side of the field there is a single high safety that could move over to double Hop.

But at the snap everyone drops into coverage and the Pat's only rush three - pic 2 Rankin is officially just a spectator until he moves to double because the Pats didn't rush with either the LB or Safety/CB lined up over Griffin as they both dropped into coverage.

Middle isn't open because the high safety that was lined up over Ellington didn't flow with Hop to the outside - so theoretically Watson should have read - drop coverage, safety to middle of field, Hop is 1 on 1, good odds there.

Or at least that is what I would have done in Madden :D Been awhile since I played any official football so just spit ballin here but just seems the Pat's called a better play than the Texans and were able to fool Watson. Only time and experience will help him fix that IMO.

Excellent analysis!

I’ll just add that feeling phantom pressure is a symptom of being hit too much. Even the greats are susceptible to that..otherwise good breakdown.

I’ll just add that feeling phantom pressure is a symptom of being hit too much. Even the greats are susceptible to that..otherwise good breakdown.

Good point... I would get happy feet too.... shout out to SteelB (small amount of credit... small :D) and those that worried about the o line. Damn shame on a three man rush someone gets close enough to your QB to cause them to bail out in 2 to 3 seconds, he should have been able to pull up a chair and have a beer on 3 vs. 5.

Hopefully coaches can improve scheme and coach some folks up - again if you look at it Rankin moves over to double but he comes at it from the outside, if he would have looped around the guard and game at the double from the inside Watson would have more time. Not an o line guy but that is the way it looked to me. Or maybe the guard (can't remember his name Kele something) should have passed off his man to Rankin and helped the center, but it doesn't look like he is strong enough to execute that.

Good point... I would get happy feet too.... shout out to SteelB (small amount of credit... small :D) and those that worried about the o line. Damn shame on a three man rush someone gets close enough to your QB to cause them to bail out in 2 to 3 seconds, he should have been able to pull up a chair and have a beer on 3 vs. 5.

Hopefully coaches can improve scheme and coach some folks up - again if you look at it Rankin moves over to double but he comes at it from the outside, if he would have looped around the guard and game at the double from the inside Watson would have more time. Not an o line guy but that is the way it looked to me. Or maybe the guard (can't remember his name Kele something) should have passed off his man to Rankin and helped the center, but it doesn't look like he is strong enough to execute that.

I've seen some of the greatest line have those same issues. Also how about given the oline credit for the running game as well as Watson being able to sit back there for 3+ on several passing plays.

Yes they aren't good but they have had their moments.

State of the Texans@SOTTexans
https://twitter.com/SOTTexans/status/1042246941814546432

8 Things We Learned about the Houston Texans in their Week 2 Loss to the Tennessee Titans http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog/2018/09/18/8-things-we-learned-about-the-houston-texans-in-their-week-2-loss-to-the-tennessee-titans/ …

10:00 PM - Sep 18, 2018

Deshaun Watson is the motor that makes the Texans go on the field and probably the most important reason for a win or loss week-to-week. Watson has to make sure he is dialed in for every play of the game, making sure his checks at the line of scrimmage and chances taken with the football are calculated. Watson showed that when his feet are good, he is accurate with the pass and can drive the football. Watson’s arm looks much stronger than last season. He threw for 310 yards and two touchdowns with an interception but his turnovers are an issue he has to correct in a hurry. He has two interceptions and 3 fumbles (1 lost) in just two games. That has to get cleaned up.

Kareem Jackson has been the Texans best defender on the field the past two weeks, being asked to play safety in week one and cornerback in week two after injuries struck the team. Now, Jackson seems like a better fit at safety due to his physical presence, matching the play making ability of Tyrann Mathieu. The Texans actually have a safety who will come and run fill from the second level. With Aaron Colvin taking over at the star position, Jackson would stay outside but it is hard to think that this is a great long term plan. Kayvon Webster is recovering from his injury while Shareece Wright is trying to get caught up with the defense.

Will Fuller is becoming a true threat as a wide receiver and it starts with top end speed and how well he runs routes. He showed his ability to go across the middle and snag a key first down, run comebacks for Watson to pick a part the defense, then get vertical to hit the Titans for a 39-yard touchdown. On that deep ball, Fuller showed his speed, strength to wall off the defender, and his ability to track the ball in the air to complete the pass. Fuller is turning into a solid compliment for DeAndre Hopkins and could be a 1,000 yard receiver in the making.

The trio of Ryan Griffin, Jordan Thomas, and Jordan Akins give the Texans enough versatility at the position to make defenses think about how exactly to defend them. Griffin and Thomas are getting the most work because of their blocking ability but Akins is showing he can block well enough to be on the field. All three also catch at a high level and getting them involved with the offense is key to taking pressure off DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller

More then anything else I’m major concerned that our ENTIRE WIDE RECEIVER ROTATION IS HURT OR OUT 2 weeks in a row....... it won’t matter how good Deshaun does or doesn’t do if we don’t have a receiver that can get open consistently........ so we can’t blame him when he hasn’t had his weapons two weeks now........ and how is Clowney already hurt when we put him in bubble wrap all preaseason and training camp!!????? COME ON MAN....... it’s gwtting old....... I fear we may never see our team at full strength on both sides of the ball to even make an assessment of how good we are or are not for weeks

Welcome to the NFL. Every team has injury issues. You are no different than anyone else.

Back