Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Redskins, Sunday Nov 18, 2018!!

For next year maybe, not this year. Where would we get any healthy o-lineman now that the trading deadline has past? Other than hiring off the street or raiding another teams practice squad, there isn't a lot left to be done with this o-line for this season.
Our line should be okay. They are gelling more as the season progresses.

What could Watson do behind the Colts line? They better get serious about the Oline this offseason and quit trying to put band aids on gunshot wounds. Two tackles and one guard that are legit starter quality or just hang it up Gaine!

What could Watson do behind the Colts line? They better get serious about the Oline this offseason and quit trying to put band aids on gunshot wounds. Two tackles and one guard that are legit starter quality or just hang it up Gaine!

Yep,

Been saying this for the last 2 offseasons.

They are debateably average when they are all healthy. When they aren't, you get what you saw yesterday.

My two cents is that when healthy, they are still one of the bottom half dozen lines easily. I don't see them as average. Davenport should be a backup and spot starting at most. Both starting Guards are avg at best, more like below avg. The center is average when healthy and could get to above avg if he has decent play around him. And while I have to give some props to Lamm for working on his game and showing a lot of improvement - come on. He's a joke as a true starting RT. But I will say that he's improved enough where he could hang around the league and be a spot duty player for a long time.

Part of the so-called improvement in the line is that they are max protecting, running the ball as much as possible, and being ultra safe with Watson.

I didn't read the entire thread, and it's possible it's been discussed already, but anyone got a damn clue why D. Thomas didn't catch a ball. Hell, did they even throw to him?

I didn't read the entire thread, and it's possible it's been discussed already, but anyone got a damn clue why D. Thomas didn't catch a ball. Hell, did they even throw to him?

I believe it was 2 targets; 1 catchable. I wouldn’t bet the house on my memory tho. It looks like DW4 has eyes for Nuk, Keke, and then anyone else. Hopefully the get that straightened out.

Don’t understand after first game with DT OB was able to target him early and often but after bye week and more practice time to learn playbook, nada, nothing, zilch. :headhurts:

I remember one target. I think that the end of the last game proved Thomas isn't up to speed with the offense and with Coutee getting healthy there wasn't as much need to look towards Thomas.

I believe it was 2 targets; 1 catchable. I wouldn’t bet the house on my memory tho. It looks like DW4 has eyes for Nuk, Keke, and then anyone else. Hopefully the get that straightened out.

I remember one target. I think that the end of the last game proved Thomas isn't up to speed with the offense and with Coutee getting healthy there wasn't as much need to look towards Thomas.
Man, you'd think with the suckness that is the Texans in the RedZone, Thomas could have had a few packages drawn up for him down there.

Watson threw his way twice, one target was negated by a RTP so technically he only had 1 target. Part of it is they were featuring Coutee more, Fuller's targets took a drastic decrease with Coutee in as well. Part is he wasn't up to speed, and a lot was we were in max protect running 2 wr sets in which we used Coutee as our #2 in those sets, so DT wasn't on the field as often. That last part I don't mind as much, those are generally working off a PA pass, so either the guy is open right after the fake, or Watson has to buy time and they have to work themselves open. Coutee is quicker and shiftier so I think he can shake defenders better.

I expect them to gell within 3 or 4 games like the Colts OL did.
Not all lines are the same.
I haven't had time to view the Colts OL - I guess I will have to take your word for it.
And before Sunday, after which we lost 2 starting OL early in the game, our line showed improvement.
Just like I said in an earlier post.

Not all lines are the same.
I haven't had time to view the Colts OL - I guess I will have to take your word for it.
And before Sunday, after which we lost 2 starting OL early in the game, our line showed improvement.
Just like I said in an earlier post.

Improving from crapping you pants to peeing in your pant is improvement, I guess.

I wish we could start the same line week after week like the Colts have.

They've lost Goode, Kelly and Mewhort retired.

If you are going to look for excuses for the poor OL play other than talent and depth you will have to look elsewhere.

Don’t understand after first game with DT OB was able to target him early and often but after bye week and more practice time to learn playbook, nada, nothing, zilch. :headhurts:
DT was targeted during scripted play portion of game in his first game and had nothing after 2nd series. Lots of issues working out what play to run by the 2nd half.

It wasn't pretty viewing for him this last game. To not even throw him a couple of times to lighten the attention on Hop.

Hope he can become a contributor as the season wears on.

And risk him getting hurt when u don’t have to...yeah your genius.

Really. Risk getting hurt? The whole point is to fake out the defense. Deshaun is smart enough to know when to slide. He isn’t rg3. You have a hall of fame title but you’re an embarrassment to this site. I’m guessing you’re one of the guys that said he would fail on his draft thread. How do I block you because I want to talk to people with actual nfl knowledge.

Really. Risk getting hurt? The whole point is to fake out the defense. Deshaun is smart enough to know when to slide. He isn’t rg3. You have a hall of fame title but you’re an embarrassment to this site. I’m guessing you’re one of the guys that said he would fail on his draft thread. How do I block you because I want to talk to people with actual nfl knowledge.
Speak for yourself. While I don’t agree with everything Mr Tex says... I’m proud that he is a contributing member here. He’s definitely earned his wings and respect.

You could ask your mom or dad for their parental password to block him

Dude, we all get after each other. Dont take it personally.

If you dish out smoke, don’t get offended when I do it back. The fact he called me a genius and doesn’t know how to spell made me laugh. *You’re*

Not good angles to diagnose the kicks in this week's replays.

The 4th quarter shank was a high snap, good set but with an inside lean (want outside) and it appears the holder didn't have time to get his receiving hand out of the way.

Edit: there's so much more that goes into a good kick. In actuality, the kick itsself is the easy part. Golfers are the nearest comparison as trying to repeat perfection over and over and keep that form in tact when going for distance. They don't have JJ Watt coming at them in 'no pressure' situations such as an 'easy' 45yd field goal attempt with a wonky hold.

Edit 2: if anyone has video of the kicks I'd like to see them. The NFL Replay video doesn't give me much to go on.

Last edited:
Can't get you video from the All 22 right now but below three screen captures of the made 1st quarter FG, and the 2nd and 4th quarter misses.

All seem to have the exact same 'tilt' away from the kicker, the 44 yard miss in the second the laces didn't come all the way around, but on the 45 yard attempt in the 4th I don't see anything different with the hold etc.

(the made FG there is only a view from behind as it was a 20 yard shorter attempt, so not quite the same view).

upload_2018-11-23_21-43-38.png

upload_2018-11-23_21-51-46.png

upload_2018-11-23_21-46-40.png

A fake in that situation doesn't assure that it will not be picked up (D's have not always bitten on his play fakes), and still requires synchronized line protection. That in itself is a risk. Knowing when to slide is way down the decision making line. You don't need to worry about Watson getting hurt........O'Brien does.

A fake in that situation doesn't assure that it will not be picked up (D's have not always bitten on his play fakes), and still requires synchronized line protection. That in itself is a risk. Knowing when to slide is way down the decision making line. You don't need to worry about Watson getting hurt........O'Brien does.

I understand what you’re saying but we never called that play in all the games I watched this season. I wish o’brien would add that to the playbook. The ravens coach utilized that perfectly with Lamar Jackson. I’m not saying we have to do that through out the game but it would be nice

Pretty much...& anyone Making a post under the assumption that everything that happens on the field is within these guys’ control is naive.

You still mad bro? You won’t last here if u can’t take my little jabs. Hope u don’t post in any of the political threads..you’d get eaten alive.

Mad at you? haha that’s cute. I started off friendly on this site. Now it seems like I’m the villain. I’m not here to talk about political issues either. I have enough friends in real life to do that with. I’m here to talk football. Something you don’t know about. Besides the fact, you never touched a football in your life. Don’t get your feelings hurt when I respond to you kiddo. It’s all fun and games, right..

Mad at you? haha that’s cute. I started off friendly on this site. Now it seems like I’m the villain. I’m not here to talk about political issues either. I have enough friends in real life to do that with. I’m here to talk football. Something you don’t know about. Besides the fact, you never touched a football in your life. Don’t get your feelings hurt when I respond to you kiddo. It’s all fun and games, right..

Yeah...u still mad lol. Have a take, don’t suck and you won’t get flamed for dumb ass posts....that or get thicker skin.

Very late, but there are 2 things I see in the kicks. Kicker's form seems to be mostly ok (still hate the first half-step, but it's pretty standard). There was a bad snap in the replays that I saw.

I'm seeing (as nowhere near an expert) a disconnect between holder and kicker. Holder seems to plant the ball instead of place it - very heavy handed, and FB seems to kick more forward as opposed to someone like Rackers who was an exaggerated sweep. The plant hold + drive style kick don't mix well. This disconnect can absolutely cause misses, and certainly inconsistency with every imperfection (if really wrong can knuckle, which we did see), but unless this is it, I'm not finding a root cause yet. These two work together 3-5 days a week, either they or the the ST coaches need to identify the issue.

FB hits his kickoffs pretty well, but hasn't shown any consistency in field-goal attempts (pull, push, drive, under, over) - especially as the season progresses. What concerns me is that he was consistent in his pulls early this year and I said as much regarding his plant, and now is all over the map. Somebody started changing things and I warned strongly against doing that. I don't think he's working well with the holder, but as much as I want to support him, I'm seeing FB's ability to be the problem. Maybe I can get more concrete in later reviews, but I'm (really don't want to) blaming FB at this point.

HOWEVA! ... before I drop a potentially good kicker, I'd see how he works with a holder that isn't a rookie. I'd put him with Weeden for a week or two and see what changes. A LOT is in comfortability; if switching to old man Weeden gives FB a comfort that he had with Lechler, then go with it.

Last edited:
Back