Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Patriots Game 1, Sunday Sept 9, 2018!!

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I'm not going to stop blaming Watson injury as a contributor to his poor play.

He looked great last yr until injury. Not so great yesterday and hopefully that's what contributed to his regression. If not there are bigger issues with Watson, happy feet, accuracy, bad decision making were issues with his play yesterday. People around here dont want to admit that even if healthy Watson was due for some regression from his record setting rookie pace.

In short he looked like the QB that I thought he would be coming out of college yesterday. Not terrible, but not great like he was last yr.

BOB could also help him by using more roll outs and things like that to help with the pressure he was getting from the OL's poor performance. Although the OL looked better yesterday than it did at any point last yr it still was well below avg. IMHO
Im with you boss.

By Watson's own standards he was "overthinking little things" and that his "energy was low"......that he was "holding onto the ball too long"...& that he "the offense goes as I go.." and that overall he played "terrible". Now some of that is press garbage talk....but alot of that is him being frank & honest & sound like the problems of a guy whom missed 9 games & was just not quite up to game speed....of a guy whom knows that he was a little confused and flustered throughout the game.

But you know how it goes around here, Its sacrilegeous to place the majority of the blame for a team loss on a texanstalk favorite player......We like to focus on things that may or may not have made a difference...Y? B/c Tony Romo said so. instead of the things that we know give us a better chance to win if they do/don't happen. & well..

we know that if you turn the ball over against the Pats, you're going to lose.
we know that if you give Brady & the Pats a short field, you're going to lose.
we know that if you don't make the plays you're supposed to against the pats, you're going to lose (dropped passes, missed tackles, inaccurate passes to wide open WR).

2 of those things happened not even 2 minutes into the damn game.

Sure Bob could've done a few things to make Watson feel a little more comfy, but the minute Watson fumbled the ball at the mesh point...the mood on the team was soured.

Last edited:

zshawn10

All Pro
patrick

✔@PatDStat

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/1039008992066973698

Here is how accurate Watson can be when his feet are right. Look at how his feet don’t stop and on his toes. Never flat footed and drops it to Thomas in stride. #Texans

11:33 PM - Sep 9, 2018

patrick

✔@PatDStat

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/1039001882960830466

This is just a small sample of what Watson struggled with. Look at his feet right before he throws. They get flat. Has plenty of time to throw too. #Texans

11:05 PM - Sep 9, 2018

patrick

✔@PatDStat

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/1039162402145820673

Alfred Blue had 10 offensive snaps and had 5 carries for 36 yards (7.2 ypc). Talk about maximizing your snaps. #Texans

9:43 AM - Sep 10, 2018

Deshaun was a little salty yesterday:

https://t.co/C06bZzlDbI

zshawn10

All Pro
Bill O’Brien says that Kevin Johnson will miss "a lot of time" after his second concussion in less than a month. #Texans

— patrick (@PatDStat) September 10, 2018

Bill O’Brien says that he feels Tyler Ervin left some yards on the field in kick returns. That is a good thing IMO. Able to see it better with more looks. #Texans

"Yes." Bill O’Brien on if Will Fuller will be back this week. "https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Texans

Bill O’Brien mentions that Kareem Jackson could be an option to move back to CB but his play yesterday makes it a tough decision. #Texans

MeatBear77

Rookie
Lol based on what exactly?? I know this is a troll account and all but c'mon buddy.
Dood aint a "troll account" he's my dum cuz - OBV Watson is the better QB hes just mad that Mitchelll looked so bad in that second half n is holding a big L 2day....

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Did not look like a catch to me.
Could've gone either way honestly...which means that it likely wouldn't have been overturned b/c it was ruled a catch on the field. Again, that doesn't mean BoB shouldn't have called a TO to check, i just think this is all sour grapes from fans here. That 1 damn play didn't cost us the game.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Could've gone either way honestly...which means that it likely wouldn't have been overturned b/c it was ruled a catch on the field. Again, that doesn't mean BoB shouldn't have called a TO to check, i just think this is all sour grapes from fans here. That 1 damn play didn't cost us the game.
That ball was moving around like dice at a craps table.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
That ball was moving around like dice at a craps table.

rule change in 2018:

"A player no longer must control the ball through the ground for a completed catch, and movement of the ball does not automatically result in loss of control. If a player loses control of the ball, it is an incomplete pass if the ball hits the ground before he regains control, or if he regains control out of bounds."

Like i said, it could've gone either way to be honest. What fans should be pissed about is the phantom PI call Gronk got on Joseph earlier in the game on a critical 3rd down that extended a drive for the Pats. That was pure garbage. Especially considering Gronk loves pushing off to get separation on his breaks.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
rule change in 2018:

"A player no longer must control the ball through the ground for a completed catch, and movement of the ball does not automatically result in loss of control. If a player loses control of the ball, it is an incomplete pass if the ball hits the ground before he regains control, or if he regains control out of bounds."

Like i said, it could've gone either way to be honest. What fans should be pissed about is the phantom PI call Gronk got on Joseph earlier in the game on a critical 3rd down that extended a drive for the Pats. That was pure garbage. Especially considering Gronk loves pushing off to get separation on his breaks.
I'm more pissed at the non calls on holding/illegal hands to the face on JJ and JDC. I saw at least 3 holds on JJ not called and one play a Pats OL was holding onto JDCs ankle as he was coming thru the line.

Texansballer74

The Marine
He did not have control of the ball when he hit the ground. The ball did touch the turf. There are pictures and Video evidence showing that fact

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The Texans could've played the starters for every damn pre-season snap and they'd have still come out and lost with the way OB coached that game and the way the OL pass blocked.

Like they get more reps and all of a sudden they come out like a fine tuned machine?

This team looked like it was in mid-season form.
don't know why but this post made me think back to last season....
Watson started slow against the Bengals. He only threw for 125 yds. He made one big play, that long run, but that was it.

After that he caught fire and you know the rest.

Let's hope yesterday was his "off" game for the year
:D

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Did not look like a catch to me.
Mark Berman‏@MarkBermanFox26

FOX 26 Sports photographer Doug Bigger's (@judeandhero) view of the Rob Gronkowski catch that was not reviewed by NFL replay officials.​
Now wait-a-frikkin-minute!!
NFL rules say ALL scoring plays are to be automatically reviewed by league officials. I thought the scoring team had to wait for the review to be completed before the extra point was allowed!!
WTF?!?!

Max

Veteran
One fatal mistake? How about a game plan of having your super mobile QB with a craptastic o-line play 7 step drop for an entire half? Move the pocket around, make the line not look so bad, take advantage of your QBs skills? Nah, who needs that? Not only is OB horrible at clock management, going on 5 years now, he's a horrible game planner, going on 5 years now.
Moving the pocket is a big part of what made the RPO work for us last year - it compensated somewhat for poor blocking. If this game showed us how BoB modified last year's offense as we heard he would be doing, it means he's eliminated the roll outs that were working so well and he's now asking our OL to hold a traditional pocket which they're not going to be able to do consistently. I think BoB has a really bad habit of out-thinking himself.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Now wait-a-frikkin-minute!!
NFL rules say ALL scoring plays are to be automatically reviewed by league officials. I thought the scoring team had to wait for the review to be completed before the extra point was allowed!!
WTF?!?!
It was not a scoring play

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
It was not a scoring play
Wait, didn't they give Gronk the TD?
or are we talking about the so-called catch right before the half?

and that one was inside of two minutes so the league still should have taken a look at a possession play.

yes, I know it wasn't a "change of possession"
....still....

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
I'm more pissed at the non calls on holding/illegal hands to the face on JJ and JDC. I saw at least 3 holds on JJ not called and one play a Pats OL was holding onto JDCs ankle as he was coming thru the line.
You mean this "gem" of NFL blocking and officiating?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1039020135028346880

Grabbed his arm first to yank JD to the ground, then his leg to keep him from getting to TB.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Wait, didn't they give Gronk the TD?
or are we talking about the so-called catch right before the half?

and that one was inside of two minutes so the league still should have taken a look at a possession play.

yes, I know it wasn't a "change of possession"
....still....
I thought the discussion was about the catch right before the half where OB said it's not his job to call the timeout

badboy

Hall of Fame
We should come back game two and destroy Titans with their projected players out. I've grumbled, shouted "damn" at TV but that's over. I want to see how O'Brien adjusts and if he can. We know RAC can and does. What I saw with #4 and OB made me hesitate on demanding an OC but man they both need to bring it Sunday. Rankin and D are rookies and moving D from LT to RT after Henderson broke ankle went better than expected; thought Rankin would be at RT. See what happens these spots next week. Who takes his place on 53, R. Johnson?
https://www.battleredblog.com/houston-texans-injuries/2018/9/10/17842124/houston-texans-injury-update-latest-on-will-fuller-kevin-johnson-kayvon-webster

K. Johnson should grab an injury settlement and look for work outside NFL. Perhaps team up with Fiedo and go to high schools warning players about head injuries? Joseph and Colvin and?? OB has said (see BRB above) Webster not back this week and Bademosi? First thought is to move KJ but is that the move; maybe if 3rd round pick is as good as I think it will. I'm going with KJ remaining at safety and Andre Chachere moving back to 53.

*Trevor Daniel? eh--don't think he beat out Lechler on that performance.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
We should come back game two and destroy Titans with their projected players out. I've grumbled, shouted "damn" at TV but that's over. I want to see how O'Brien adjusts and if he can. We know RAC can and does. What I saw with #4 and OB made me hesitate on demanding an OC but man they both need to bring it Sunday. Rankin and D are rookies and moving D from LT to RT after Henderson broke ankle went better than expected; thought Rankin would be at RT. See what happens these spots next week. Who takes his place on 53, R. Johnson? https://www.battleredblog.com/houston-texans-injuries/2018/9/10/17842124/houston-texans-injury-update-latest-on-will-fuller-kevin-johnson-kayvon-webster

K. Johnson should grab an injury settlement and look for work outside NFL. Perhaps team up with Fiedo and go to high schools warning players about head injuries? Joseph and Colvin and?? OB has said (see BRB above) Webster not back this week and Bademosi? First thought is to move KJ but is that the move; maybe if 3rd round pick is as good as I think it will. I'm going with KJ remaining at safety and Andre Chachere moving back to 53.

*Trevor Daniel? eh--don't think he beat out Lechler on that performance.
Man, I could be tempted to give Reid a few plays at CB just to see if he could do it....of course, that would be if the Texans are safely up on the scoreboard.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I thought this would've been a great chance to 4 man front vs Brady. Clowney, reader, watt, merci. Have your 3 young backers, press everyone across. In today's nfl, you shouldn't give any wr or te a free release

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Deshaun had the 2nd most time to throw out of all QBs in week 1

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw
For the record, it's the time from snap to the throw, NOT from snap to first pressure before a throw. It would include time scrambling before the ball was released.
So a QB who can buy time with his feet and/or holds the ball too long can heavily influence this stat, especially if we are trying to evaluate OL performance basic on this metric.

badboy

Hall of Fame
So a QB who can buy time with his feet and/or holds the ball too long can heavily influence this stat, especially if we are trying to evaluate OL performance basic on this metric.
This is my understanding AT and we all know Watson has and should be able to make Oline better. They will get better once line is set after Henderson loss. Watson was not good but I expect a great percentage of improvement from him compared to Oline just due to his skill set. Hopefully, we are even up 1-1 going in to play Giants.

zshawn10

All Pro
LZierlein broke down the all-22 this morning on DW4.
He said that the Pats were disguising their coverages by changing them very late. This seemed to confuse Watson. Receivers WERE open. Watson just did not see them and couldn’t figure out the coverage quick enough.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
Deshaun Watson's rust showed in Week 1. He missed at least two Touchdown passes with an overthrow and another one on an INT. That was his first real game since late October.

Deshaun Watson is still human after all. He needs his reps.
He's nowhere near where he needs to be at the moment.

Nearly a full year of not seeing an opposing defense in a live game setting. He didn't really take any meaningful snaps in his limited preseason play. Hindsight is 20-20 but I would have liked to have seen Watson play three full quarters against the Rams in that third preseason game.

I expect Watson to be rusty in Week 2 and 3 as well.
Maybe by Week 4 or 5 he'll start to play amazing again.

I predicted 12-4 this year but it may turn out to be 10-6.
Bill O'Brien put us in a hole to start this season, IMO.
Didn't prepare this team well enough during the preseason.

If O'Brien were a better coach we'd have beaten the Pats Week 1. It's amazing we only lost 27-20. The scoreboard didn't justify just how much we were outplayed in that game. Terrible coaching by O'Brien as well.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
He said that the Pats were disguising their coverages by changing them very late. This seemed to confuse Watson. Receivers WERE open. Watson just did not see them and couldn’t figure out the coverage quick enough.
We know what we can expect each week until he figures it out.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
Also his father used to be an offensive lines coach in the NFL. With the Pittsburgh Steelers if I recall correctly. He would know better than anybody that the Texans offensive line is in shambles right now. Not just a lack of talent but a poor O-Lines coach as well. The next guy fired from our coaching staff should be Mike Devlin.

I've been wanting an upgrade at O-Lines coach for a while...
Still feel the same today that I felt going into last off-season.

Deshaun Watson's stellar play last year saved Devlin's job.
But it's only because Watson is Michael Jordan. Our O Line sucked!
When Tom Savage played it was the worst offensive line in the league.

We had the #1 scoring offense and yardage offense for a 7-game stretch last year. Our O-Line looked more then capable in those games because Watson was balling out at a record-breaking pace!

BOBdaFRAUD

Waterboy
Refs cheats us again. Routinely gives the pats 30 yard plays for free. LOL

BOB does not even twitch to say anything while we get robbed

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Just got done watching the All 22, man Watson was bad. Missed reads, poor timing, no zip on his ball, low energy. I fully anticipate him bouncing back. It was such a drastic difference from last season.