Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Jaguars, Sunday Oct 21, 2018!!

I am just sitting here thinking as I've read about the Pat P trade rumors and the Duane Brown success in Seattle.

We could have had AJ Boyue and Duane Brown on this team.

Our owner let his political beliefs prevent Brown from getting paid, and our GM didn't want to spend money because he felt an always injured Kevin Johnson could replace AJ Boyue.

It is so mind boggling how those two moves hurt the Texans so bad. McNair runs the show.

Could it have been Rick Smith that advised Bob McNair that we didn’t need Bouye, and that the Texans should stand firm in not redoing DBs contract? I mean, Rick Smith is gone.

Good, that means he’ll be trying to make throws he knows he can’t make consistently to try to prove something. Should be open season for the secondary.

I'm scared. Really.

I'm not a big fan of what we've got going in the secondary, Honey Badger & all. I don't mind the corners playing off the line but they don't break on the ball as they should. It's like they're always playing prevent defense. Let the guy catch it, but limit the YAC.

Osweiler doesn't have a problem throwing to wide open receivers. If our pass rush doesn't step it up, Osweiler may be talking mucho noise in his post game press conference like a punkasz

Trade him for what? A stale fruit loop and small amount of pocket lint? No ones trading for that dude. They’re stuck with him for at least the foreseeable future.
The Browns would give 50¢ in Mexican money and not back out.

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat
#Texans Big 3. JJ Watt 7 sacks, 8 TFLs, 11 QB Hits, 4 FF Jadeveon Clowney 4.5 sacks, 10 QB hits, 9 TFLs, 2 FR, TD Whitney Mercilus, 1 sack, 5 QB Hits, 2 TFLs, 2 FF

4:14 PM - 21 Oct 2018

Not bad considering Mercilus is spending most his time as a zone linebacker or a rush DT. Seriously, Romeo needs to stop with that horrid nickel front of Watt and Clowney down outside and 3 linebackers standing up inside, it hasn't worked yet. It's officially "cute". We have a 4 man front that can get after the QB without getting cute ... Mercilus and Duke outside, Clowney and Watt inside. Simple. Teams have figured out how to chip Watt outside, and Clowney just doesn't have the bend to be an elite outside pass rusher. A couple big plays per game, but rendered null for most of the contest isn't a good trade-off for the two that we're focused on. We've spent most of our first 7 games against busted qb's and busted lines with busted receivers ... at least one of those 2 should be running away with the NFL stat lead.

Hell do our secondary a favor and run a 4 man line with Clowney floating inside in all pass situations since he's simply too powerful for centers and late combo blocks - Wade ran a 5 man front, I'm sure Romeo could too.

Not disagreeing with your post but Clowney got one of his sacks last weekend from that formation.

Had to happen eventually on talent alone. But it hearkens back to my statement of a few wins not balancing against so many losses ... we should've had 5 sacks against Bortles, I'm not sure that we had any. Dropping our front like that is also quite dangerous for Watt - he's seeing enough shots from RB's, but it's the free RG from our dropping linebacker blasting him that worries me. Watt is spending entirely too much time on the ground in pass rush situations. I know Doc's afraid of his back strained inside, but I don't like his back and even more his lower area being abused as a 290lb man being taken to the ground so often by blindside shots.

Teams have also figured it out. Thanks to Watt and Clowney being so easy to draw offsides, the hard count is similarly killing our disguises (that formation in particular) because potential rushers are dropping on the hard count or slot blitz identifying themselves - allowing for the offense to readjust. We don't have Demeco and Cushing over center. The best Superbowl defenses didn't do anything special, they simply won with 4 up front and had something extra - be it a strong run defense, baiting zones (Romeo), smothering man, or pure violence in the middle of the field ... but they won with 4 up front. Or 5 with Wade who just taught/coached so well Monday-Saturday that he said 'I can beat you 1v1 across the board'.

Neither are worrisome. The Texans gave Bortles enough room for him to make mistakes. Osweiler will have the same fate. I also think this could be the game Watson breaks out. Not afraid of the Fins pass rush.
I'm not all that worried about their rush either, but I am worried about their secondary making a pick. As for Osweiler? We need to force him into mistakes. If he gets time, it won't be pretty.

I am just sitting here thinking as I've read about the Pat P trade rumors and the Duane Brown success in Seattle.

We could have had AJ Boyue and Duane Brown on this team.

Our owner let his political beliefs prevent Brown from getting paid, and our GM didn't want to spend money because he felt an always injured Kevin Johnson could replace AJ Boyue.

It is so mind boggling how those two moves hurt the Texans so bad. McNair runs the show.
Bouye is one thing (saved cap for Romo who we never got), and Brown (wanted to go West and had his feelings hurt) is another. Neither had anything to do with political beliefs.

Reactions: JB
I'm not all that worried about their rush either, but I am worried about their secondary making a pick. As for Osweiler? We need to force him into mistakes. If he gets time, it won't be pretty.

Bouye is one thing (saved cap for Romo who we never got), and Brown (wanted to go West and had his feelings hurt) is another. Neither had anything to do with political beliefs.

Browns holdout was about getting paid. Buoye wanted his market value too. Both contract negotiations and organizational evaluations failed. Clear to me this ownership is more willing to hand over huge piles of cash to suck ass QB’s Carr, Schwab, and Osweiler instead of real football players groomed and developed in system. Shame on front office, whether it’s poltical or racial or just pure ignorance I don’t care, both Brown/Bouye were Texan worthy.

Just pathetic (see video)

Ugly incident in Jacksonville as Texans fan gets knocked out at TIAA Bank Field

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 23, 2018, 12:25 PM EDT

An ugly incident took place in the stands at TIAA Bank Field during Sunday’s Texans-Jaguars game in Jacksonville, as a Texans fan appeared to be knocked unconscious from a punch thrown by a Jaguars fan.

The incident, caught on video by another fan, shows an awful confrontation involving multiple fans, with the fans in Jaguars gear brawling with the outnumbered fans in Texans gear.

“We in no way condone the behavior during Sunday’s Jaguars vs. Texans game, which included a physical altercation between fans in the east stands,” the Jaguars said in a statement. “Per our Fan Code of Conduct, two individuals involved in the altercation were ejected from the stadium. Each party, whether a Jaguars season ticket member or a single game purchaser, has had their ticket purchasing privileges rescinded.”

It’s unknown whether any criminal charges were filed, and also unknown whether the injured man is OK.

This is the second high-profile incident involving fan behavior in Jacksonville in less than a year. During a December game against the Seahawks, multiple Jaguars fans threw items at Seahawks players, resulting in a potential crowd control nightmare as Seattle’s Quinton Jefferson tried to go into the stands to confront a fan who threw something at him.

Ugly incident in Jacksonville as Texans fan gets knocked out at TIAA Bank Field
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 23, 2018, 12:25 PM EDT

An ugly incident took place in the stands at TIAA Bank Field during Sunday’s Texans-Jaguars game in Jacksonville, as a Texans fan appeared to be knocked unconscious from a punch thrown by a Jaguars fan.

The incident, caught on video by another fan, shows an awful confrontation involving multiple fans, with the fans in Jaguars gear brawling with the outnumbered fans in Texans gear.

“We in no way condone the behavior during Sunday’s Jaguars vs. Texans game, which included a physical altercation between fans in the east stands,” the Jaguars said in a statement. “Per our Fan Code of Conduct, two individuals involved in the altercation were ejected from the stadium. Each party, whether a Jaguars season ticket member or a single game purchaser, has had their ticket purchasing privileges rescinded.”

It’s unknown whether any criminal charges were filed, and also unknown whether the injured man is OK.

This is the second high-profile incident involving fan behavior in Jacksonville in less than a year. During a December game against the Seahawks, multiple Jaguars fans threw items at Seahawks players, resulting in a potential crowd control nightmare as Seattle’s Quinton Jefferson tried to go into the stands to confront a fan who threw something at him.

I like how the Jags fan sucker punched the guy, then immediately retreated back into the rest of the Jags fan because of the lady coming after him. You stay classy Florida

Mercilus and Duke outside, Clowney and Watt inside. Simple. Teams have figured out how to chip Watt outside,
^^^this^^^, Clowney needs to be inside and stop the run on the way to the QB. Dude is awesome against the run. Ol JJ probably has a Texas size bruise on him from that damn RB chippin the hell out of him all day. He was getting blasted pretty good.

^^^this^^^, Clowney needs to be inside and stop the run on the way to the QB. Dude is awesome against the run. Ol JJ probably has a Texas size bruise on him from that damn RB chippin the hell out of him all day. He was getting blasted pretty good.

He's awesome against the run from the edge.

Well we have faced 3 of the top 5 defenses in the league the past 3 weeks with a QB with broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung. Our offense did well against the Cowboys, struggled a lot against the Bills(I think they had a poor blocking scheme designed for the game, and the pass rush was to much for Watson), and then the offense played well against the Jags. We could have scored 30+ points in yesterdays game if they wanted, but I will say I think OB called a very smart game plan. Your defense has kept the jags bottled up all game, you have an injured QB, and a short week before the following game. No need to press to score more points and risk turnovers, or worse injuries when you are dominating a team like we were.
Good points Shishkabob.

To beat Denver you need to do what we did against the Jags, get out to an early lead and make Keenum try to play catch up. He will press and make a few mistakes, then we have to capitalize on those mistakes.

This could very well be a defensive game with the Kickers being the deciding factor.

Back