Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Eagles, Sunday Dec 23, 2018!!

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
Although defense didn't do it's job offense could have eaten more clock before scoring.

That's a luxury I realize but we didnt even force eagles to use timeouts
The Eagles didn't need to call any timeouts because OB called them with 4+ minutes left. Terrible game management. Can't overcome bad defense, injuries, and a coach who doesn't understand time management.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
Problem as I see it is that when Watson plays ball, he gets hit...a lot. OB needs to balance his conservativeness along with Watson’s explosiveness. Or improve the OL and let DW4 do his thing.
Good points, which is why my ideal offensive for Watson is to pass to set up the run. It's no more complicated than that. You still need to keep the defense honest; it's just a matter of what end if the optic you're looking through.

Gotta get this QB is rhythm early.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Good points, which is why my ideal offensive for Watson is to pass to set up the run. It's no more complicated than that. You still need to keep the defense honest; it's just a matter of what end if the optic you're looking through.

Gotta get this QB is rhythm early.

That should've been the plan coming out the gates today. Obrien should know his personnel better by now. Meaning Blue isn't that type of back and Foreman hasn't played football in how long.

Watson should've thrown for 500 easily today against that depleted secondary. But our coach waited until the darn 4th to let Watson loose.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Yes the defense let is down. But!!!! The 1st and 3rd quarters in which Obrien play calling sucked is what really cost us this game.
See this right here...is why a few of you in here objectivity gets called into question. the offense still found a way to put up 30 pt and get us the lead late...they also scored on just about 1/2 of their 11 drives....that’s right in line with what the eagles did on offense.

The difference? Well our defense gave up 9-16 3rd down conversions.....including 4/4 on 4th down. ...simply no excuse for that.

........but it’s the “sucky playcalling” on offense that cost us the game...:mcnugget:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
........but it’s the “sucky playcalling” on offense that cost us the game...
Agree with everything you said. I'd also like to add we haven't been able to run the ball since the Colts game.

We started the season running the ball with the best of them. Had a few games where we did enough to keep defenses honest. Then we had a few games where people were putting Lamar Miller & Todd Gurley in the same sentence. But since the last Colts game, completely shut down.

Our OL sux. Our RB depth sux. But we managed to run the ball before. We need to figure that out so if we ever find ourselves in a situation like this again, we can put the game to bed while driving down the field for what should have been the final score of the game.

But yeah, offense gave us a chance to win. Defense came up short.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Agree with everything you said. I'd also like to add we haven't been able to run the ball since the Colts game.

We started the season running the ball with the best of them. Had a few games where we did enough to keep defenses honest. Then we had a few games where people were putting Lamar Miller & Todd Gurley in the same sentence. But since the last Colts game, completely shut down.

Our OL sux. Our RB depth sux. But we managed to run the ball before. We need to figure that out so if we ever find ourselves in a situation like this again, we can put the game to bed while driving down the field for what should have been the final score of the game.
The inability to run the ball was underlined by OB when he had a 1 yard to go in the 4th and elected to throw it on 3rd down.
That was his worst play call of the game simply because if you don't get in on 3rd down, you try it again on 4th with possibly <1 yard to gain.

Texansballer74

The Marine
See this right here...is why a few of you in here objectivity gets called into question. the offense still found a way to put up 30 pt and get us the lead late...they also scored on just about 1/2 of their 11 drives....that’s right in line with what the eagles did on offense.

The difference? Well our defense gave up 9-16 3rd down conversions.....including 4/4 on 4th down. ...simply no excuse for that.

........but it’s the “sucky playcalling” on offense that cost us the game...:mcnugget:

And you missed the darn point again because of being so far up there. The point smart one is, he should've ran that same stuff to start the game as well as the start of the 3rd. He waits until his team is trapped into a darn corner before unleashing the freaking dogs.

Another point, he sees his defense is depleted with key injuries. So you can't rely on them therefore, let it all hang verse picking and choosing to be conservative.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Clowney helmet to Foles gut, is that the way the rule reads? If it is, it is wrong. You gotta let them play football.
Which is why watching Northshore vs Duncanville was much more enjoyable to watch. The little bit I did watch of the game today was refs, refs and more refs. Which makes for great football if you like watching the refs more than the actual game of football.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
If he does that, that's a helmet to helmet penalty, we just can't hurt precious nfl quarterbacks, that's bullshit
No, head up does not mean head higher. If he’d have led with his face mask he’d have been ok.

He hit him with the crown of his helmet.

That is a no no and is taught as such from every football team I’ve been around from little league to college.

A lot of coaches are just teaching to avoid using the head altogether now and instead lead with the shoulder.

Reactions: Max

Earl34

Hall of Fame
What did JJo think was going to happen when you throw the fundamentals of tackling, out the window, in favor of lowering his helmet, with his eyes on the ground and leading with the crown of the helmet into a big receiver? Right after the hit, I stated matter of factly.....concussion protocol!!!!
I thought the same thing. Why is a guy with a neck and shoulder injury recklessly lowering his helmet like that? In fact his previous injury was related to him using terrible techniques to tackle a big, strong RB. Just dumb.

gwallaia

Staff member
I cannot justify spending money on playoff tickets should we host as the #3 seed. I'm a season ticket holder who can no longer stomach this team falling short every damn time they have a chance to gain an advantage. The #3 seed is a 100% guarantee they will lose to the Pats in the 2nd round if they even make it there.

This team has finally worn me out and that game winning drive by the Eagles that started at the 11 was the last turd on the pile.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
It’s the right call and the rule is for good reason. It has been that way forever and it is to protect both players.

It’s called spearing and you can get seriously hurt doing it.

All he needed to do was keep his head up.
Isiah Robertson concurs.

May he Rest In Peace (he was killed in a car accident a couple weeks ago).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I cannot justify spending money on playoff tickets should we host as the #3 seed. I'm a season ticket holder who can no longer stomach this team falling short every damn time they have a chance to gain an advantage
Easy money selling those for two times face value, right there on Ticketmaster. Patriots or Titans game. Colts may take a little longer to sell, like 20 minutes longer.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
I cannot justify spending money on playoff tickets should we host as the #3 seed. I'm a season ticket holder who can no longer stomach this team falling short every damn time they have a chance to gain an advantage. The #3 seed is a 100% guarantee they will lose to the Pats in the 2nd round if they even make it there.

This team has finally worn me out and that game winning drive by the Eagles that started at the 11 was the last turd on the pile.
Lol dude I think I'm out next year
Had tickets since Carr years. Cost not worth the return
Especially when my coach talks down to me

austins23

Hall of Fame

This secondary (defense) gives up huge chunk plays! This has to stop!

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member

The Moon era Oilers were the same. Every time they had a chance to gain a better seed or home field they would blow it, often against a lesser team. I’ll never forget my trip to the Meadowlands to see the Oilers vs the Giants. It was the last game of the season, the Giants were 7-8 and the Oilers just needed to win for the #2 seed. It was memorable because I sat next to Al Del Greco’s uncle and Allen Pinkett’s family were sitting behind us.

The Oilers didn’t even show up. Moon was throwing picks left and right and of course they blew it vs a mediocre Giants team with nothing to play for. I think that was the year where instead of having the bye they had to play a home game vs the Jets. They won but had to travel to Denver where they got Elwayed in heartbreaking fashion. If they would’ve won the Giants game they would have had Elway in the Dome. Elway always struggled indoors.

So the Texans are doing the same. They’ll lose in New England again in predictable fashion.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Lol dude I think I'm out next year
Had tickets since Carr years. Cost not worth the return
Especially when my coach talks down to me
I would sell your season tickets to me but keep them under you name for the next three years. Then reevaluate after. By that time OB and the will have changed and you may be back into it.

I am sure we can work something out. Just saying and just an idea.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

15 times today the Texans found themselves in 2nd and 8 or more. 15!! 8 times they were in 3rd and 10 or more. This is why the Texans offense is the inconsistent mess it is. That and the fact that their RBs had 13 yards on 11 carries. Whoever you want to blame, it doesn't change those facts. Play calling, play design, player execution or all of the above, they don't do themselves any favors getting themselves in those long down and distance situations they get themselves in...the one thing they are consistent about.

And yeah, they still scored 30 but guess what? It wasn't enough.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
And you missed the darn point again because of being so far up there. The point smart one is, he should've ran that same stuff to start the game as well as the start of the 3rd. He waits until his team is trapped into a darn corner before unleashing the freaking dogs.

Another point, he sees his defense is depleted with key injuries. So you can't rely on them therefore, let it all hang verse picking and choosing to be conservative.
Newsflash dumbass, it doesn’t matter how many pts you score, if u can’t stop anyone, you’re still gonna lose..the offense could’ve scored on every single damn drive but with the way the defense was playing, it wouldn’t have mattered. Furthermore Your rationale is ASININE considering the offense has been/was depleted at the WR position and has been suspect on the OL for pretty much the whole damn year. Blaming the offense and BoB today of all days in light of the defense getting shredded for 500 yds passing 2 TDs and a 100% 4th down conversion rate is just idiotic and further shows how biased you are against Bob and the offense.

The defense is supposed to be the strongest part of this team. The defense has been the healthier side of this team all year. The defense also has the most star power of each side of the ball. They were also the last on the field today and were in position to salvage what was a horrible day for them overall. and what do they do? they gave up not 1...but 2 3rd and very longs in that final drive. Didn’t even really put the heat on Philly to make it tough.

Max

Veteran
To me, this was NFL playoff football and we played a hell of a game and showed we belong on the playoff stage. I give BOB credit as well for having the team ready to play in a hostile environment. It's encouraging to me that we made this a great game. What I don't understand is why we went away from our offensive game plan in the first half. This look familiar?

watson.gif

We mixed in the Watson rollouts quite a bit in the first half and the pass protection didn't look that bad. 2nd half? All straight dropbacks in a traditional pocket and under pressure the entire time. Yes, our OLine is the problem but we just showed we can scheme around it and make the most of poor pass pro. Why stop in the 2nd half? We're going to have to throw the ball as much as we did in this game to win playoff games and rollouts and moving the pocket is the key to making the most of our passing game.

Bugman7star

All Pro
This simply turned out to be one of those close losses that found us squandering another opportunity for good seeding. The most likely scenario based on week 17 scheduling is us winning and staying in the 3rd seed. Which means if we win in the wild card round, right back on the road to NE.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

With all of the injuries I doubt they win another game.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
15 times today the Texans found themselves in 2nd and 8 or more. 15!! 8 times they were in 3rd and 10 or more. This is why the Texans offense is the inconsistent mess it is. That and the fact that their RBs had 13 yards on 11 carries. Whoever you want to blame, it doesn't change those facts. Play calling, play design, player execution or all of the above, they don't do themselves any favors getting themselves in those long down and distance situations they get themselves in...the one thing they are consistent about.

And yeah, they still scored 30 but guess what? It wasn't enough.
You’re right it wasn’t enough...but here’s the thing: if we break the game down to the very simplest jobs of both sides of the ball, the offense did their job and the defense failed.

However much it is a struggle for them, the offense usually finds a way to put up more pts than their opponent and today they put put up 30...you’re expected to win most games when u do that. the defense had a shitty day but still had a chance to salvage what was a very poor outing by them at the end and they simply didn’t come thru.

Hey I’m not tripping too much, I had them a 10-6 for the season, but my posts are mainly aimed at certain posters acting like this defense is formidable b/c of an obscure ranking no one really pays attention to. They’re a middling defense at best and every time they’ve faced elite/good QBs, they’ve gotten shredded.