Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

No Texans.. then who?

badboy

Hall of Fame
As usual it's midnight, I go to bed and my mind wanders to football. We have been discussing all the negativity with Texans so a hypothetical...

If Houston Texans ceased to exist after 2022 would you stop watching NFL or switch to another team; if yes which and why.

This thought just popped into my head and my first reaction was no more NFL. 80% of the reasons I watch college football is strictly for the draft and how it would impact my team so if I did not watch the NFL I probably wouldn't watch much College either. As my mind wandered through the 31 other teams and all the issues with each it quickly came to only one team for me. I was surprised at first.. Philadelphia Eagles.

Their cap space in 2023 is not exactly what I would want it to be but I do see areas that could be adjusted. Main thing is as we have been discussing primarily for our Texans they have what appears to be a solid NFL quarterback who is only 25 next season and appears to be leading his team to a record year. Through my personal connections his family life is solid and he apparently does not come with any of the issues we had with you know who. Of course contract will be up after his fourth year as he was only a second rounder but 22 and 2023 he is at extremely cheap cost. The offensive line seems reasonably settled with my only concern primarily Kelce at Center. Overall roster looks good for the future and the team has two round ones in the next draft and one of those from New Orleans will be extremely high if all continues. The next draft in 2024 they only have one round one but two round twos and I feel this will allow the team to make adjustments as needed.

I know of no controversies with ownership, upper management or coaching. The racial innuendos from 2017 against the owner seems to have been inaccurate.

So... Eagles for me.

You?

I'll pass.. I didn't follow another team when the oilers left, certainly wouldn't given today's climate. I used to watch the NFL/sports to get away from all the B.S., now it's in bed with it. The Texans are still here and I miss games. A few years ago win or lose I was in front of a TV or at a game. Apathy is taking over.. the Derrick fiasco really did it for me.. Thank God for the Astros.

This has specifically happened before, and I'd do the same now as I did then..

..I'd follow the league at large as a fan of the game but with no central rooting interest.

There will always eventually be a team in a market as large as Houston, so I'd just latch onto whomever that would be when the time came, just like in 2002.

The other Texas team I already love!

giphy.gif

I became a free agent fan in 1996 and just watched the NFL to enjoy it. I'd pick a team each year to "follow", but since I'm not in their market and refuse to sell a kidney to pay for the NFL ticket, it's really tough to be a week in/week out fan of a team in another market.

It was this mentality I had in 2001 when a young backup QB started his first game after 09/11 in NE. That's one of the reasons I was always a Brady fan. The other is he was the counter-point to Manning, who just owned the Texans for the first decades of existence.

Now, though. . .I'd probably still follow the NFL in general, but the older I get the more I feel the pull of nature, to turn off the tv and get outside, simply because the reality of finite days becomes a lot more in focus than it did when I was 30.

How about the City of Houston lure a current team to the beautiful stadium that would now be empty. The new owner would be wise enough to negotiate the purchase of the Oilers name from The Adams Family. With a successful deal in place…..I get to root and support the Houston Oilers once again.

The Texans have pretty much ceased to exist in my mind mostly and I really dont watch much football anymore. Since i stopped watching the Texans i really lost my love for the game overall. Basketball was always my first love so i really gravitated heavily to the NBA.

Id like to get back into football, but im a hometown team guy and if Houston doesnt have a real nfl team literally or otherwise, i just really couldnt care less about any other team.

Used to be a big Cowboys fan but JJ has done about everything he could to spoil that. I’d probably still lean towards the Cowboys, but nowhere near as passionate as I used to be.

I'm an old Oilers/Titans guy along with Texans. If the Texans went away, I would just be a league guy like I am right now.

Reactions: JB
I used to watch every game that was televised in my area.

Now I watch the Texans, the first half of SNF, MNF, & TNF. If it’s a good game I’ll watch the whole thing but it’s been a while since I’ve considered a game good, Texans or otherwise.

If there were no Texans I’d probably stop watching all together. My interest just isn’t there. Has nothing to do with the state of the Texans. Texans got my attention win or lose.

But the rest of the NFL just doesn’t interest me.

I stopped watching the Texans regular season games. Or catch about 10 minutes to just leave and go watch paint dry. It’s more entertaining.

So I would do what I have done the past 3 years.

Don’t watch regular season and turn on when the playoffs start.

It’s what I have been training for.

I stopped watching the Texans regular season games. Or catch about 10 minutes to just leave and go watch paint dry. It’s more entertaining.

So I would do what I have done the past 3 years.

Don’t watch regular season and turn on when the playoffs start.

It’s what I have been training for.
Do you still consider yourself a Texans fan?

Do you still consider yourself a Texans fan?

Of course.

I don’t buy any of their merchandise either.

Just because I don’t spend money or watch whole games doesn’t mean I am not a fan. It just means I have other things to do than to watch a game that is like sticking needles in my eyes and have it rot my brain.

And I won’t spend money on them. They have enough and don’t need more to think they are doing a good job.

Do you consider me a Texans fan?

I just want to see my local pro football team play good football. Texans are done. Putting my time an energy back into the XFL. I was loving it when covid hit and stopped it. Roughnecks were undefeated with the run and shoot!

Of course.

I don’t buy any of their merchandise either.

Just because I don’t spend money or watch whole games doesn’t mean I am not a fan. It just means I have other things to do than to watch a game that is like sticking needles in my eyes and have it rot my brain.

And I won’t spend money on them. They have enough and don’t need more to think they are doing a good job.

Do you consider me a Texans fan?
most definitely but as you say you rarely watch games I wanted you to have opportunity to clarify.

WHAT ?!?! No one would become a Bengals fan ??

I mean, the ownership has been basically the same, the number of championships won is unimpressive, the coaches are generally uninspiring, great players never realize their true potential, the fans are both passionate and dismissive at the same time, and apparently kicking yourself in the balls has some strange appeal season after season. Hell, it would be like you were still rooting for the Texans. Who doesn't want a piece of this cold weather wonderfulness that is the Cincinnati Bengals ??

For me, if I wasn't a Bengals fan, I would follow the Texans or the Saints.

I mean, the ownership has been basically the same, the number of championships won is unimpressive, the coaches are generally uninspiring, great players never realize their true potential, the fans are both passionate and dismissive at the same time, and apparently kicking yourself in the balls has some strange appeal season after season. Hell, it would be like you were still rooting for the Texans. Who doesn't want a piece of this cold weather wonderfulness that is the Cincinnati Bengals ??

Well...
A Bengal tiger is a beautiful magnificent animal..

At least you have a mascot...

As long as Burrow is there I will be a Bengals fan. I also like the 49ers. BL has gotten me into the Chargers.

Unfortunately being a Texan the Cowboys are my 2nd favorite team. Don't have to worry about them winning until Jerrah take the ultimate dirt nap

I’ve found over the past few years that during the regular season I’ll watch the Texans and pretty much only the Texans, seasons like this one (far too often) I begin to lose interest and won’t have as close an eye on the game as I would if they were any good.
Come playoff time I’ll tend to pick up on each game as time allows but I don’t have it in me to stay up for late games any more, I’ll have to see what happens with the Super Bowl this season even, might have to catch up next day!

I’ve found over the past few years that during the regular season I’ll watch the Texans and pretty much only the Texans, seasons like this one (far too often) I begin to lose interest and won’t have as close an eye on the game as I would if they were any good.
Come playoff time I’ll tend to pick up on each game as time allows but I don’t have it in me to stay up for late games any more, I’ll have to see what happens with the Super Bowl this season even, might have to catch up next day!
With all the replay options available now there is no urgency to catch the game live

I was a big Cowboy fan until JJ fired Tom Landry
I grew up watching the Cowboys with my Dad and Gramma (dads mom), my Gramma even named her two dogs after Cowboys. Jethro (Pugh) and Ronnie (Sellers). So I was a fan too until Mr Landry got fired. Screw Jerruh for doing it the way he did. Ever since then I have disliked the Cowboys. Mr Landry was from my hometown, Mission, Tx., and him and my Grampa were good friends. I met Mr Landry at church one Sunday morning and was in complete awe. Never forget it. He shook my hand and called me by my name before I even told him my name. Very intimidating man, but really nice.
So ya, ever since Jerruh gave him the axe like he did, the Cowboys can go away.
I know, extreme, but I was young!

With all the replay options available now there is no urgency to catch the game live
Last time I missed it live was the Tom Brady comeback game and I was in work and even though it isn’t generally a big deal over here apart from hardcore fans it will be all over the news, someone came up to me knowing I love American football but not realising I was in work through it and commented on the amazing comeback! Completely ruined my enjoyment of it.

Fantasy football has really gotten me into other teams I otherwise would not pay much attention to.
I will tune into games to watch what my starters do in the game.

nope its texans 4 life i would prob stop watching the NFL...or just watch highlights

butttt i hope the texans never cest to exist i hope there around for a loooong time

but even more bleak future Houston might be underwater in a few hundered years unless we figure out a way to stop the coast from going belly up but thats OT

Since Goodell has already said the league will expand, I hope we have another team in Texas to cheer for. San Antonio is the largest city in the country without an NFL franchise. Although I'm sure Jerra would do everything in his power to keep that from happening. I'm not a fan of expanding to Europe, though it will likely happen.

Since Goodell has already said the league will expand, I hope we have another team in Texas to cheer for. San Antonio is the largest city in the country without an NFL franchise. Although I'm sure Jerra would do everything in his power to keep that from happening. I'm not a fan of expanding to Europe, though it will likely happen.

I'm against expanding the league in any way. There's already enough dilution of talent. You can't find 32 available people that can actually play the QB position as it is. Can you imagine how long the draft would take after they expand?

The really good players will command even more money and make a mess of the whole thing.

I'm against expanding the league in any way. There's already enough dilution of talent. You can't find 32 available people that can actually play the QB position as it is. Can you imagine how long the draft would take after they expand?

The really good players will command even more money and make a mess of the whole thing.

When 22-30 million people are watching Christmas Day games, including the then 4-10 Rams and Broncos, they ain’t worried about anything being watered down. They’re just going to continue to print money.

I barely watch the games now I have seen less than half the Texans games and I haven't watched any complete game other than those.

Back