Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NCAA Division 1 FCS National Championship - #2 Sam Houston vs #1 South Dakota State

AnthonyE

Lurker
Hey guys! I know there are some Bearkat alumni/friends/family on this board so I wanted to bring attention to some good spring football coming up this Sunday at 1PM on ABC.

E05fXr-XEAM5Gko

SHSU is currently undefeated and had to come from behind down 24-3 to the #1 team in the nation (STATS Media Poll and Coaches Poll) last week in the semis, and 3-peat national champion (and 8 out of the last 9) North Dakota State in the quarterfinals to earn a spot in the National Championship game.

If you or someone you know is a Bearkat, I encourage you to check out the game. The spring season was an experiment, but it worked out since the best schools in the nation still wound up competing in the title game. A list of watch party locations is here: https://www.shsu.edu/dept/office-of-alumni-relations/watch-party/index.html

Eat 'em up Kats!

Great game

Shmid is a QB that I would bring into camp.

Congrats Bearkats

Would’ve enjoyed watching this game.....but we were delivering our POV to Los Angeles today so it could be shipped to France. Drove down on Sunday to make today easier. Got done around 1545 and made the drive from Gardena back to Monterey.....arriving home at 2230. It’ll be a somewhat calm Tue & Wed but Thur & Fri will be box-up and pack-out. Can’t wait to get back to Texas.

I went to Sunday's game and boy lemme tell you. What a miserable first half, in terms of weather. My feet were soaked the entire game, through the drive back down to Houston until I finally got home around 11PM that night. Standing in the rain was definitely worth it of course.

SHSU faced a gauntlet of teams during this playoffs and were not favored in any of their last 3 games. The beautiful part of the FCS playoff system is that the teams have a chance to prove it on the field.

It's a travesty Schmid was left off of the Finalist list for the Walter Payton award, given annually to the best FCS player. During the game, he injured his foot, got it wrapped up and was back in for the next play. He was also spitting up blood and took some rough hits the entire game. Still somehow willed his team to victory. That triple covered strike to #2 Ife Adeyi was an absolute gutsy play. I'm glad I was wearing sunglasses because I definitely might have teared up a bit.

The beautiful part of the FCS playoff system is that the teams have a chance to prove it on the field.

First off, congrats Bearcats!

Secondly, this is what I don’t get about the FBS. A playoff like they have in the FCS would be huge. I just don’t see how it couldn’t. I think it would be as big as, if not bigger than March Madness.

And all of the excuses the FBS uses not to do it, too many games, too much travel, players taking finals, and so on, doesn’t seem to bother the FCS schools.

But whatever. Let’s just stick with Alabama, Clemson, OU, Ohio St, an occasional Norte Dame or Georgia every. single. freaking. year.

First off, congrats Bearcats!

Secondly, this is what I don’t get about the FBS. A playoff like they have in the FCS would be huge. I just don’t see how it couldn’t. I think it would be as big as, if not bigger than March Madness.

And all of the excuses the FBS uses not to do it, too many games, too much travel, players taking finals, and so on, doesn’t seem to bother the FCS schools.

But whatever. Let’s just stick with Alabama, Clemson, OU, Ohio St, an occasional Norte Dame or Georgia every. single. freaking. year.

Do you intend to not include them in a playoff?

Do you intend to not include them in a playoff?
If you put them in a 16 team tournament and those same teams make the final 4 every year, then so be it. I suppose it's no different than North Dakota St. making it every year in FCS, but having those same teams in it every year as it is now in FBS, with zero hope at all for anyone else to prove it on the field, is boring. At least it is for me. I guess ratings would suggest otherwise, but I still feel a tournament would draw bigger interest and thus ratings, a ton more than the meaningless bowl games they play.

And this year SHSU took out 2 of those teams that are always in it, NDSU and James Madison. Could an A&M, Iowa St, or even a Cincinnati have made a run like that if they were in a tournament? Of course we'll never know.

If you put them in a 16 team tournament and those same teams make the final 4 every year, then so be it. I suppose it's no different than North Dakota St. making it every year in FCS, but having those same teams in it every year as it is now in FBS, with zero hope at all for anyone else to prove it on the field, is boring. At least it is for me. I guess ratings would suggest otherwise, but I still feel a tournament would draw bigger interest and thus ratings, a ton more than the meaningless bowl games they play.

And this year SHSU took out 2 of those teams that are always in it, NDSU and James Madison. Could an A&M, Iowa St, or even a Cincinnati have made a run like that if they were in a tournament? Of course we'll never know.

My only point here is that the gap between the Bama's, Clemson's, or OSU's of the world and the Iowa St's or A&M's isn't a format issue as much as a talent issue. Could you get the very rare upset and maybe knock one of them off every once in a while? Ya, sure. And it's be pretty fun for a minute. But that's one game whenever, and one of the big guns will always ultimately win in the end. The talent gap is just that great.

Scholarship limitations is, imo, a reasonable attempt at leveling that talent playing field.

And none of this means a bigger playoff is necessarily a bad idea either. Just that it's not going to solve the haves/have nots problem.

My only point here is that the gap between the Bama's, Clemson's, or OSU's of the world and the Iowa St's or A&M's isn't a format issue as much as a talent issue. Could you get the very rare upset and maybe knock one of them off every once in a while? Ya, sure. And it's be pretty fun for a minute. But that's one game whenever, and one of the big guns will always ultimately win in the end. The talent gap is just that great.

Scholarship limitations is, imo, a reasonable attempt at leveling that talent playing field.

And none of this means a bigger playoff is necessarily a bad idea either. Just that it's not going to solve the haves/have nots problem.
Oh absolutely that’s an issue. But maybe with the transfer portals like they are now, and kids start realizing they can go start somewhere instead of being 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart at Bama or Clemson, and that they could also still have a shot at playing for a title somewhere else too, maybe that starts to change the landscape a little. Like I said, no one’s going to Gonzaga if that postseason isn’t like it is.

Back