Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

My three round mock.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I haven't posted much on mocks this season, but this is my final mock. I have waited for the combine and the trade and put considerable thought into this one.
Round 1:- Trade! #3 to NYG.
Giants have a huge need on their line and have locked in on Ikem Ekwonu and I don't think they will wait for him to fall into their lap. They have the luxury of two high firsts - #5 & #7. Here they trade #7 to Texans.
Texans receive #7, #36, #81 - send 2023 5th.
Texans selections :-
#7. Ahmed Gardner CB
#13. George Karlaftis DL
#36. Jalen Pitre S.
#37. Desmond Ridder QB
#68. Jamaree Salyer OL
#80. John Metchie III WR

#108. Troy Anderson LB - late edit!
Texans next select at 183, barring trades so this is the meat of this Texans draft.
If we can come away with this group, we would have 7 primo prospects to mold and this group covers many of our biggest needs. I think a RB could be taken with our next pick.
Some might question the QB selection, but Texans badly need backups and yes, while Ridder is in need of some refinement, he has some nice upside to him and QBs are valuable pieces. I would be shocked if Caserio does not pull the trigger on one in the top 80.

Last edited:
Carolina are short on picks this year, so why not cobble the three sixth round picks together for their fifth rounder at #149?
Texans would receive a valuable high fifth and still have 8 picks in this draft.
This might appeal to Carolina for a couple of extra picks.

I haven't posted much on mocks this season, but this is my final mock. I have waited for the combine and the trade and put considerable thought into this one.
Giants have a huge need on their line and have locked in on Ikem Ekwonu and I don't think they will wait for him to fall into their lap. They have the luxury of two high firsts - #5 & #7. Here they trade #7 to Texans.
#7. Ahmed Gardner CB
#13. George Karlaftis DL
#36. Jalen Pitre S.
#37. Desmond Ridder QB
#68. Jamaree Salyer OL
#80. John Metchie III WR

Texans next select at 183, barring trades so this is the meat of this Texans draft.
If we can come away with this group, we would have 6 primo prospects to mold and this group covers many of our biggest needs. I think a RB could be taken with our next pick.
Some might question the QB selection, but Texans badly need backups and yes, while Ridder is in need of some refinement, he has some nice upside to him and QBs are valuable pieces. I would be shocked if Caserio does not pull the trigger on one in the top 80.
that seems pricey to move up two slots but I hope they do it.

Do you ever do a mock that doesn't have a trade in it?
Yeah I used to do them a lot in the past because I wasn't so keen on them but nowadays I get more adventurous!
Here's one for ya:-
#3. Kyle Hamilton S
#13. Jordan Davis DT
#37. Trevor Penning OL
#68. Myjai Sanders Edge
#80. Skyy Moore WR
#108. Alontae Taylor CB

After this, they can take RB - I think they cobble a couple of the Sixths together and move up for someone they like which could even be a TE or most likely a QB.
Moore could go higher with the attention he has been getting - same with Sanders.
With the top two selections I made here, the defense gets an instant and significant upgrade.

#7. Ahmed Gardner CB
#13. George Karlaftis DL
#36. Jalen Pitre S.
#37. Desmond Ridder QB
#68. Jamaree Salyer OL
#80. John Metchie III WR

If we can come away with this group, we would have 7 primo prospects to mold and this group covers many of our biggest needs. I think a RB could be taken with our next pick.
So you want to draft Karlaftis, huh ?
What's the story on him, we don't hear too much about him so guess he's just not considered one of the elite edge guys
in the '22 Draft but you are taking him @ #13 huh TexansPhan ? You know he sounds like a real hustle guy, one of those overachievers we are all looking to identify ?
Maybe he's kinda a poor mans Aida Hutchison who I like to call Stork-2 because he's got a physique somewhat like Ted Hendricks, former Raiders great HOF edge guy.
Hutch had a lackluster 40 (the money event) at the Combine & his arm length is very average. I dunno maybe the Greek and Hutch are comparable ?

Hutch had a lackluster 40 (the money event) at the Combine & his arm length is very average. I dunno maybe the Greek and Hutch are comparable ?
Different body types. But I do think Karlaftis has gone from slightly overrated to underrated in the draft process. Karlaftis isn't a speed rusher, so he'll have to get it done in the NFL with power and counter moves. I think he will, but #13 overall seems high.

Different body types. But I do think Karlaftis has gone from slightly overrated to underrated in the draft process. Karlaftis isn't a speed rusher, so he'll have to get it done in the NFL with power and counter moves. I think he will, but #13 overall seems high.
Different types but perhaps only in height which is not really a difference maker.
Hutch does not stack up favorbly against Myles Garret, Clowny, or either of the Bosa brothers so basically we've got a fairly
mediorce edge class. Oh there will be an outstaining player, maybe a HOF someday among them but now nodody is really
standing out.

#7. Ahmed Gardner CB
#13. George Karlaftis DL
#36. Jalen Pitre S.
#37. Desmond Ridder QB
#68. Jamaree Salyer OL
#80. John Metchie III WR

Texans just signed Kyle Allen, who is only 26.

Last edited:
Different types but perhaps only in height which is not really a difference maker.
Hutch does not stack up favorbly against Myles Garret, Clowny, or either of the Bosa brothers so basically we've got a fairly
mediorce edge class. Oh there will be an outstaining player, maybe a HOF someday among them but now nodody is really
standing out.
I hear ya, but JJ was overlooked as well. Not saying Karlaftis is that guy, but he may be very good.

So he could be used as a TE?
I would guess Texans could still target a QB they like.

I just hate burning a pick in this draft on a QB. If they need another camp arm, get an UDFA who’s likely to be just as effective as a RD3 or later QB. Texans have to give Mills the reins for 2022 to know exactly what they have before the 2023 NFL Draft. This draft has to set the table for the offense and plug in solid players on defense.

Yeah I used to do them a lot in the past because I wasn't so keen on them but nowadays I get more adventurous!
Here's one for ya:-
#3. Kyle Hamilton S
#13. Jordan Davis DT
#37. Trevor Penning OL
#68. Myjai Sanders Edge
#80. Skyy Moore WR
#108. Alontae Taylor CB

After this, they can take RB - I think they cobble a couple of the Sixths together and move up for someone they like which could even be a TE or most likely a QB.
Moore could go higher with the attention he has been getting - same with Sanders.
With the top two selections I made here, the defense gets an instant and significant upgrade.
I like it.

But there's a better chance of Penning going at 13 or before than 37.

Moore is likely to go before 68, but he would be a great pick if he fell there. Sanders is likely to be there at 80. He's a 230 lbs DE who I think would fit better in a 3-4. He reminds me alot of Jason Taylor.

I like your mock though
Love Alonte Taylor.

I like it.

But there's a better chance of Penning going at 13 or before than 37.

Moore is likely to go before 68, but he would be a great pick if he fell there. Sanders is likely to be there at 80. He's a 230 lbs DE who I think would fit better in a 3-4. He reminds me alot of Jason Taylor.

I like your mock though
Love Alonte Taylor.
I have a feeling that Sauce Gardner has worked himself into the top 3, boys….

At the moment….a QB.

I watched about 5 La Tech games in 2016 .... and they were a blast. Jeff Driskel at QB and Kenneth Dixon RB both 4.56 guys. I wanted Dixon because, as usual, we needed a RB. He looked like he was chiseled out of stone. By the end of the season I wanted both. Driskel could throw the ball on the run as well as any QB I've ever seen, save maybe Mariota !

I watched about 5 La Tech games in 2016 .... and they were a blast. Jeff Driskel at QB and Kenneth Dixon RB both 4.56 guys. I wanted Dixon because, as usual, we needed a RB. He looked like he was chiseled out of stone. By the end of the season I wanted both. Driskel could throw the ball on the run as well as any QB I've ever seen, save maybe Mariota !
I remember wanting him in that draft too. Looked like a baller who could win games.

But that’s not the guy we saw in the preseason.

The mock in the op is somewhat balanced but leans a little more to the defense but is what I believe Texans should do in the draft.
Here is one that leans a little more towards the offense:-
#3. Ikem Ekwonu T
#13. Traylon Burks WR
#37. Kaiir Elam CB
#68. Sam Williams Edge
*^#80. Isaiah Spiller RB
#108. Jamaree Salyer OL

Once again, I have just picked the meat of this draft for Texans picks.
#80 is a trade up using a couple of Sixths or next year's fourth depending on where he is on the board - Spiller is too good to pass up.

Last edited:
The mock in the op is somewhat balanced but leans a little more to the defense but is what I believe Texans should do in the draft.
Here is one that leans a little more towards the offense:-
#3. Ikem Ekwonu T
#13. Traylon Burks WR
#37. Kaiir Elam CB
#68. Sam Williams Edge
*^#80. Isaiah Spiller RB
#108. Jamaree Salyer OL

Once again, I have just picked the meat of this draft for Texans picks.
#80 is a trade up using a couple of Sixths or next year's fourth depending on where he is on the board - Spiller is too good to pass up.

I don't see Spiller in the same light. He's a good RB but not a great RB. Tell me what the difference is between Rashad White/ Master Teague and Spiller? Heck, Spiller wasn't even the best RB on his team. IMHO. Kinda like Henderson and Teague.

#7. Ahmed Gardner CB
#13. George Karlaftis DL
#36. Jalen Pitre S.
#37. Desmond Ridder QB
#68. Jamaree Salyer OL
#80. John Metchie III WR

We reached a little for him, but he will prove his value.
Drafttek has him at #64.
Looks like this was my prelude to my final mock.:thisbig:

Back