Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mini Camp?

done88...the website has some pretty good updates as to the general feel and tone of the camps. They have had some good looks at the rookies and FA add-on's. They haven't had an indepth look at AJ and DD quite yet but the coverage overall is fairly comprehensive. If you haven't already I highly recommend checking out the mini-camp page on the site.

That being said the site is obviously a tad partisan in the stories. You can find the devils advocate side on the stories pretty frequently on the boards here. Generally Vinny or InfantryCak will post every article as a seperate thread for discussion... :rofl: been some good dust-ups over some of the stories, but that's generally a good thing.

From the link posted above:
Capers and the defensive coaching staff have been evaluating the best combination of players on defense so that means this mini-camp will test the waters of the group’s flexibility.

“We’re trying to go through all of the possibilities as if we had an injury in there,” Capers said about the swapping of posts.

Kailee Wong has seen some action on the inside, and of course, Marcus Coleman continues to work at free safety where he has remained solid and impressive.
Interesting development for those who think Wong would be better inside than out.

If we don't make a major acquisition to the ILB corps after next season, I'm expecting Wong and Sharper on the inside with Babin and Peek on the outside.

Texan281 said:
If we don't make a major acquisition to the ILB corps after next season, I'm expecting Wong and Sharper on the inside with Babin and Peek on the outside.
I think this may happen before the end of this year.

Wong is better than Foreman, and Foreman is not as versitile as Wong to play the outside. There are many different schemes we could put in with Wong in the middle. I still would love to see someone that is of the Kendrel Bell type at the Buc spot. Someone that can just punish people at the line.

Ooooh, I like the Wong inside stuff. If Peek can step up strong then we can move Foreman to a top caliber reserve. That would make this guy happy. ;)

I would love to see Wong inside just because that means Peek is starting on the outside. Peek and Babin can be a special combo for Fangio and Capers.

It looks like we will put the experienced Faggins on the edge and move Dunta inside when we go to nickel and dime packages. Capers likes to blitz out of the nickel and uses the corner to blitz quite a bit. Robinson has great burst and is supposed to be an excellent blitzer off the edge so this makes sense. Last year we shifted Coleman to the nickel/dime slot also.
...Faggins has been a virtual highlight film during offseason workouts, including an acrobatic interception of a David Carr pass intended for Andre Johnson during a two-minute drill Monday, the first day of a three-day minicamp.

...Barring an injury, Faggins will play right cornerback when the Texans use six defensive backs, with rookie Dunta Robinson moving inside to the dime position. Because Kenny Wright still is recovering from offseason knee surgery, Faggins also is starting in the nickel package. Glenn sees even bigger things on the horizon for Faggins.

Faggins sure surprised me And I liked Kenny Wright too. My thoughts watching both of these were, they were starting to look alot like Glenn. Adding Robinson to the mix, and the move of Coleman gives quality to our secondary, and depth off of the field too. These guys playing better together and understanding their jobs better, is going to raise the sack total all by itself. And the fact that there will be more pressure put on the QB due to the return of our line, and depth at LB will raise the INTs. I am glad to hear Faggins is impressing at camp!

I think Wright and Simmons are on the way out. Wright got injured last year and it may affect his play going into camp. Faggins just might be able to unseat one of those guys. Rober' Freeman could be a diamond in the rough.

SESupergenius said:
I think Wright and Simmons are on the way out. Wright got injured last year and it may affect his play going into camp.
Wright is a good corner and was a starter for another team before he came here, I think the Vikes, I am pretty sure he will come back but I wouldnt mind seeing more of Faggins.

I think you have hit on the big question. Who do you keep for the final roster? Are the Texans really thinking playoffs this year? If so then they keep the best 53 players for the run. If they believe it will be next year then some of middle players will have to go. I believe that some of those players are Banks, Sears, Wright, Simmons, Washington, Miller, Ioane, J Bell,
D Vaughn. I like alot of these players but I think it is harder for them to make the team when you are looking down the road. idonno:

Banks isnt going anywhere this year, neither is Miller. Sears will stay for d-line depth, Wright will stay for DB depth.

I dont see Washington going because if someone on the line gets hurt he is the first sub. For example, if Wand goes down, Pitts will step in at LT and Washington will take LG unless Brown and/or Weary show something.

Anyone see the mini camp highlights on the texans official website? Carrs arm and accuracy is looking good. Although mini camp is much, much different from a season game he's still lookin great.

Hollings' confidence is returning:

Tony Hollings no longer thinks about his knee.
He's more concerned about getting his hands on the football.

Hollings said the biggest difference this season is he does not run with hesitation, worrying whether he is going to re-injure the knee. His burst around the corners has slowly returned and he doesn't feel discomfort after extensive workouts.

"I think my reaction time is getting down. I'm not worried about my knee. I think last year I was kind of timid and was thinking what I had to do. Now I just don't think about it."

Link

Here's the link to the mini camp highlight reel Doug is referring to.

The Carr toss on the Bradford post was sweet. :)

Thanks Lucky for posting the link I wasn't sure on how to do that yet. That pass didn't look like it was ever going to come down (looked like a missile in flight). lol

This may not be the correct area for this, but is there any chance we can get the video files for Windows Media Player as well as Real Player. I don't want to deal with the spyware/adware that the free Real Player puts on my pc. I did it once, and ran Adaware, and it found all kinds of **** so I removed it. WMA doesn't have this problem. Why can't we be given a choice? idonno:

Nice piece on Armstrong. Some Texan player mentioned him as a 'sleeper' last year due to him being domanant in practice. Hopefully he can translate that to the field this year.
Armstrong, whom the Texans signed as an unheralded free-agent wide receiver out of the Canadian Football League in March 2003, continues to dazzle on the practice fields just as he did throughout last season when his sterling work during the week produced only scattered playing time on Sundays. But with a year in the system under his belt and a renewed sense of determination, that could all change in 2004.

"We're going to get our playmakers on the field," Texans receivers coach Kippy Brown said. "He's definitely a guy who has playmaking ability, but he's got to show that he can do it under pressure, in the clutch. If he does that, you want your playmakers on the field because he definitely has that type of ability."
"I've never seen a player make as many plays as Derick did running scout team in all my years of coaching," said Brown, who has been coaching since 1978. "But cards are different. You have one route to run with no adjustments. When you have to adjust to different techniques and coverages, it makes a difference. That's what we've got to find out if he can handle. If he can handle that, then he should be able to do the same things he did as a rookie out here.

"The best thing he does is makes plays down the field in a crowd. He has a real knack for body control and timing. You throw it up to him, there may be a couple of players around him, but he has a knack for coming down with the ball. There are only a few players who have that, but he has that."

Interesting article in that you have the OC and the WR coach touting Armstrong's potential, but you have the head coach implying that he needs to get busy on special teams.
Young receivers such as Sloan Thomas, Kendrick Starling and Albert Johnson have impressed at times during offseason workouts, and they could work themselves into contention. But because he is not a starter, Armstrong also will be competing with players from other positions hoping to use special teams as their ticket to a roster spot.

"We know Derick can catch the ball," Texans coach Dom Capers said. "The biggest thing is what phases and how much he can contribute on special teams. You can't play five or 10 plays of offense and no special teams and get activated."
If a couple of these young WRs shine on special teams, Palmer will have to do some convincing to Capers to keep Armstrong on the active roster.

__V__ said:
Nice piece on Armstrong. Some Texan player mentioned him as a 'sleeper' last year due to him being dominant in practice. Hopefully he can translate that to the field this year.

That "Texan Player" was Domanick Davis in an NFL.com interview.

I hope we don't lose him, but there is a plethora of young talent at that position for the Texans. We haven't even covered the NFLE WR's.

Back