Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Miller or Bruener?

I would think the emphasis will be on the run with the pickup of Breuner. DC wants to control the clock and time of possession. We may have receivers, but I really think that our whole focus will be on the run. If you add Wade to that mix, I think it becomes a glaring obvious. In addition most of the offseason trades and the draft empasized defense. Again, the run is used to control the clock and time of possession. I'm looking for a very annemic passing attack this year. Some of you are going to yell at me, but I think as the preseason unfolds you will find that is the case. The only think that will change that plan is injuries to DC and Hollings.

both (all 3 actually). i think we're going to see a ton of two te sets this season. my guess is miller will begin the season as our #1 with bruener as #2 and joppru #3. i think that's going to evaporate very quickly and any "starting job" will be gone. as the season progresses i think we're going to see more of joppru on first and second down with miller on passing downs and miller and bruener mainly on two te sets as there's an extreme contrast between em. i think bruener's going to be mainly on the right side where we'll be running predominantly and runs left behind miller will be more of a changeup. my guess is if we're getting down to the wire in a close game, miller will be the guy gets most of the snaps and our redzone offense is going to be built around bruener. might be totally off but it's fun to try & predict.

Palmer likes to pass the ball and stretch the field and I see him doing that this year.

I like Miller better then Breuner because of his ability to catch the ball. But more importantly, if anyone if going to win the job over Miller it better be Joppru.

i'm a miller fan like non-other...the relationship him and carr has on the field gives carr that go to guy in pinch...his blocking isn't that good and that is why bruener and joppru were brought in...a good rotation better those three will be good for us...and i really don't see us having a real starter at tight end due to that rotation

I think Miller will start. He's been with the team two years and knows the scheme of things. Bruener and Benny will probably rotate the other TE position in 2 TE sets. Miller has good hands, Bruener the better blocker. Benny's gotta prove what he can do coming back from injury. A lot will have to do with what DC (Capers) has up his sleeve. DC (Carr) is comfortable with his man Miller.

TexasAggie said:
I am betting it is Breuner to start with Miller and Joppru coming in for special situations. :twocents:
I'll take that bet. I'm thinking the opposite: Miller or Joppru starting, Bruener coming in for special situations. If the Texans start the game in 2 TE sets, Miller & Joppru could both start. Besides, who wants Bruener play 30 plays a game and wearing out or becoming injured before the end of the season? The Texans will need a healthy Bruener when they play a playoff game in a cold weather city, right? :)

I see Bruener starting on the right side and getting most of the reps with Joppru spelling him. I see Miller on the left side on 2 TE sets just like last year. There could be several combinations, i.e., Bruener or Joppru right in single TE or Bruener right - Miller or Joppru left in double TE. One thing I don't think you'll see is Miller right unless it's a double TE right where he would be the outside guy.

I think the best thing for DC would be if Miller DOESN'T play as much. That would force David to look for other WRs.

aggiejacob said:
I think the best thing for DC would be if Miller DOESN'T play as much. That would force David to look for other WRs.
No, that would just make him look to DD more, and I have repeately stated I dont want as many drop downs next year to DD. Banks was the best at getting production from all the WR.

aggiejacob said:

That would be just fine, when our other WR's learn to hold on to the ball! Johnson and Bradford BOTH had nimble fingers last year.

And AJ had ten, which is only one more than Randy Moss had. Might not be the droppers we think they are.

[AJ]'s worked hard to improve his hands.

This may have been overlooked in the McClain Q & A debate. AJ was visibly distraught on several occasions last year about drops. Hopefully his off-season work will put this issue behind him.

I agree, that some of those drops were bad, but you must agree that Carr has a cannon for an arm, and could have thrown them too hard for the distance.

aggiejacob said:

Maybe your wish is coming true even with Miller on the field:

Yes, David Carr is zipping the ball downfield with ease. Yes, Andre Johnson and Corey Bradford are catching the ball in stride. Yes, the Texans' offense appears to be humming as we approach the end of the team's off-season work.

But in the issue of fairness, we interrupt this offensive lovefest to bring in a dissenting view.

"David's got so comfortable on offense and the receivers have gotten so much better he's taking away a lot of my balls right now," tight end Billy Miller said Tuesday. "They're completing a lot of stuff downfield. I'm protesting David Carr getting better."

Good to see the Texans have an off-season sense of humor. From a Carter Toole piece on houstontexans.com.

infantrycak said:
This may have been overlooked in the McClain Q & A debate. AJ was visibly distraught on several occasions last year about drops. Hopefully his off-season work will put this issue behind him.
Maybe time with carr alone will help decrease drops. It takes a lot of getting used to to handle the ball he throws. This is especially important when it come to AJ because he is the go to guy. When Carr is in trouble he puts a litttle more on it just by nature. Aj has to handle that and its a learning experience. Also last year was bith Carr and AJ learning where AJ should be this year will be all about timing. Last yesr AJ wa open and Carr did not see him and Carr put the ball in the open area and AJ was a little behind. With time timing will come and the cath will be that much eaiser.

Does anyone remember the Jville game at home where we were like on the 1 yrd line and Gaff was wide open in the back of endzone doing jumping jacks and Carr threw it in the corner to Andre Johnson and thankfully a pass interference call was made?

That is the only real time I remember Carr making a real bad decision but then again I am not there to see it in person. My thing is that I hope he can make those kind of plays this year as opposed to having to come down to the wire on some plays.

El Tejano said:
Does anyone remember the Jville game at home where we were like on the 1 yrd line and Gaff was wide open in the back of endzone doing jumping jacks and Carr threw it in the corner to Andre Johnson and thankfully a pass interference call was made?
Yes. From that angle they showed on TV that night, it seemed as if Gaffney was open. But at the game, Carr had already released that pass when the Jag DB released from Gaffney. Jabar turned and waved his hands not knowing the ball was already in the air.

Ideally Joppru will be the every down TE with Miller or Bruener coming in as the 2nd TE in certain situations. Joppru is supposed to be the most complete TE of the 3.

I have no idea how they plan on useing all 3. I mean you cant say bruener will be only run plays. I mean it would be like bruener bringing a flag with him that says, "run play". Miller is my fav. I mean he has spread the field IMO, more than anyone else. He makes people respect the TE position for catching. I have no idea of what Bennie is capable of. I never watched him at MU, and dont know what to make of him.

DC_ROCK said:
I have no idea how they plan on useing all 3. I mean you cant say bruener will be only run plays. I mean it would be like bruener bringing a flag with him that says, "run play". Miller is my fav. I mean he has spread the field IMO, more than anyone else. He makes people respect the TE position for catching. I have no idea of what Bennie is capable of. I never watched him at MU, and dont know what to make of him.

Miller is also my favorite because of his catching ability and because he gave Carr a reliable target that chaotic first year. But I do think that all 3 TEs will get good playing time, I think we will see alot more 2 TE sets this year and Bruener will be in on more of the running plays where as Miller on more of the passing, but I do think Palmer is smart enough not to do it so much as to set off the D that it is always run or pass based on the TE.

Keep in mind that Bruener may not be good after that catch but he has a history of being solid in the red zone.

I would think Joppru should take the starting roll. But remembering that he is basically still a rookie and may struggle with the NFL game. I would think Bruener would start then. Capers likes to pound the ball. Yes Palmer likes to go vertical and hopefully we will see this, but I think Capers will still pull back the reigns a little. Miller will just be situational. But this is a good dilemma

Wolf said:
Capers likes to pound the ball. Yes Palmer likes to go vertical and hopefully we will see this, but I think Capers will still pull back the reigns a little.
We dont have the making of a team that pounds the ball. Davis is not a guy that is going to be able to take 20-25 carries a game, neither is Hollings. On the other hand, we have the making of a team that is going to be able to throw the ball. QB with a strong arm and accuracy, a go-to WR that can beat almost anyone, and 2 other good WR, and a RB that can catch the ball out of the backfield. We are not a team that is going to pound the ball, I see us passing especially with the offensive line we have now.

Fiddy said:
We dont have the making of a team that pounds the ball. Davis is not a guy that is going to be able to take 20-25 carries a game, neither is Hollings. On the other hand, we have the making of a team that is going to be able to throw the ball. QB with a strong arm and accuracy, a go-to WR that can beat almost anyone, and 2 other good WR, and a RB that can catch the ball out of the backfield. We are not a team that is going to pound the ball, I see us passing especially with the offensive line we have now.

Fiddy, I must disagree with you on the Texans not having the make-up or ability to run the ball 20-25 times per game. The Texans will field a big boy line this year along with a new blocking scheme to accent the run. You will see the Texans run and run and run. As for DD, he is a 220# bowling ball who runs hard and low to the ground and will be excitingly effective if he can stay healthy this year. Time will tell, but that is my bet.

I don't think we will run as much as you guys think. I am inclined to think along the lines of Fiddy.

Fiddy said:

I have been seeing this thought that the RBs currently in the stable aren't going to be able to withstand the physical punishment of the season repeated thru several threads and I was considering posting up one that would discuss this.

First, I think that we need to reserve judgement on DD...yes, he was injured in preseason and dinged late in the season. He has changed his physical build adding somewhere around 15lbs or more of lean mass. Every body, no matter how injury resistant you think they are, goes thru a spell of injuries. There are a lot of folks who believed that LaDanian Tomlinson couldn't withstand the wear and tear (not saying that DD pacing LT...yet!) either. I think we need to play the waiting game on this one, time will tell if DD has the ability to stay injury free.

Second, we have some legit horses on the O-line this year which will be a significant boon to both the run and pass aspects of the game.

Third, we are a run 1st team...the verticle game will follow and probably be much improved as well. I am willing to bet that even if DD or Hollings can't be a 20 carry per game back both of them combined sure will be able to carry the mail 25+ times. I think that we have some great potential on the offensive side of the ball this year and that potential is going to start with the ground attack as long as Capers is setting the intent for the offensive schemes.

I think they will have Miller as a 3rd rec. making a mismatch for linebackers. As far as starting, I don't know. I would like to think Miller will keep it. idonno:

I think we were more conservative as a young team than we will be as a mature team. As we mature you will see us take larger risks and open the offense up more. It is hard to run a complex offense when you can't stop shooting yourself in the foot with simple mistakes. We will not be the Chiefs, but I would not read too much into our schemes. Just look at the Colts. They use a two TE offense and no one consideres them conservative.

If you think about the 2-TE set it makes sense. The 3-WR sets usually indicate some type of pass. With a TE who can block and catch well you have made the offense more versatile than with a 3rd WR.

I think the combo of DD and Hollings would be solid.

Benny will be considered a "rookie" until he has played three NFL games. Billy said Benny is still carrying around his helmet for him during mini camp. :)

I look for "Carr to Miller" to become a very familiar phrase this year. This will be Billy Miller's pro-bowl year, just wait and see!!

Back