Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Mike Ditka was right

Texas_Heat

Waterboy
About this team this game shows that this is the third road game that the player just quit playing. This team has taken a major step back from last year. The team last year fought in every game this years group is a bunch of quitters.

quitters.... that's a bit harsh of a word.

I'm thinking it's just that the confidence and trust is not there. The players may talk it, but it's almost like they're expecting someone else to step up to make the play that they can jump onto and ride that wave.

There doesn't appear to be a "self-improving, nether region kicking, whup the competition, nothing less than a shutout of the opposing team" attitude on this team.

It's more of a "who will save us, we have 3 playmakers only, what play are we running, oops we made a mistake - it's down hill from here" attitude.

All games do not reflect the latter mentality this year.. but it seems a majority do. Games I would think reflect the former attitude.... KC, Oak, Minn, 1st Ten, and GB. I'm just hoping the team develops the former attitude by next year on a full schedule, consistant basis.

I unfortunatly agree with that A4toZ. I wonder if our mature, responsible, hard work ethic recruiting techniques have come back to bite us in the ***.

We have a solid group of young players with good attitudes who arent afraid to work.. but we dont have anyone to fire them up and get them to play above their abilities.

Honestly.. it may be time that we got a loud personality on this team. A Ray Lewis or Chad Johnson or (dare I say) Terrell Owens type of player. The hard part is finding one with the loud attitude.. and none of the baggage that some of these guys bring. Ray Lewis, IMO, is what we need.. too bad he aint available, or affordable :).

I want to know where is the gary walker that was flexing his muscles after the quincy carter sack of a safety in the endzone.. Like yall, I don't see the guy that fires us up. We have taken a Dom Capers personality on the field.(not saying that is a bad thing)

I have yet seen ANYONE get fired up after a play.. seems we go through the motions.

I tend to think more along the lines of Texas Heat. I believe this team has quit in the big blow-out road games this season. It's in their body language throughout the games and in the expressions on their faces when they get a close up. Once that seed of doubt appears they all have the same look on their face. They're quitting before the game is over, before they're even out of it. They look like someone staring at inevitability. The only time this doesn't happen is when enough good breaks fall into place in a row to turn it around but nobody on this team steps up to make those breaks happen. In short if the other team doesn't blow it against the Texans then the Texans are going to lose.

I can't say I disagree with them completely either. I'm down to very little "faith" in the team as well.

The team has taken on the Capers personality. They act like students of the game rather than players of the game. No fire.

This team is just not that good yet. They are winning the few games they should win and losing the games they should lose. The one exception is the win they got against the slightly better Jaguars. I don't really see the inconsistency that everyone is talking about. They play better against bad teams and at home. They look terrible against good teams, especially on the road. The Chargers turned out to be good. The Vikings turned out to be not so great, but good. The Packers are better than us, but they only beat us by 3 points because we played in Houston and, as Philly showed today, the Packers aren't an elite team, like some people want to believe. What I'm seeing is a 5-7 team that gets blown out by real play-off contenders.

I predicted that the Jets would win this game 31-13, so a 29-7 loss is not at all a surprise to me. Sweeping the Titans only proves that this team isn't completely falling apart, like they are, and that we're not a first year team, anymore.

They've consistently shown that they deserve to be ranked about 20th in the NFL.

Wolf said:
I want to know where is the gary walker that was flexing his muscles after the quincy carter sack of a safety in the endzone.. Like yall, I don't see the guy that fires us up. We have taken a Dom Capers personality on the field.(not saying that is a bad thing)

I have yet seen ANYONE get fired up after a play.. seems we go through the motions.

It looks like the fire is gone. And i don't believe that you can find someone in the draft, who can relit the passion. There's need for a FA who can be the emotional leader and playmaker on the defense.

All this "fire and emotion" :blah: :blah: is sooo overrated.

HJam72 is correct. The team is just not good enough yet. It's not a deal where you're actually a good team, but have no desire to win. This is the standard copout used when expectations exceed the level that the team is actually at.

2 weeks ago there were any number of posts on here about the Texans being on their way.

I think it's obvious that they are missing a few pieces to get to the next step; that the AFC is top to bottom comprised of very good football teams and that the Texans are improving but not at the level of playoff contention yet.

Patience is a virtue. I really do not see any quit in this team. Just players that need to improve.

Marcus said:
All this "fire and emotion" :blah: :blah: is sooo overrated.

HJam72 is correct. The team is just not good enough yet. It's not a deal where you're actually a good team, but have no desire to win. This is the standard copout used when expectations exceed the level that the team is actually at.
maybe so. But where is a Ray Lewis type that gets on peoples butt's when they miss an assignment or someone that makes everyone else around them better. yes i am picking on the defense.. They are the veterans of the team and we are ranked around 29 overall.. and only have 16 sacks or so. we did better with less in 2002 and 2003

*edit* I know everyteam would like a Ray Lewis and that might be an exaggeration, but when the only person that I have seen really get emotional during a game is the Quiet Soft spoken AJ.. I am wondering what these other guys are doing ..
Only time I have seen Carr REALLY get upset was with that late hit a couple of weeks ago.

I love the hypocracy(sp) on this board, you all were singing their praises 8 days ago because the guys weren't quitters, remember they were down by 18 and won by 10. :hairpull:

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist or not enough of a fan because I don't go from elated to depressed and pis.sed off after every win or loss, or maybe some of you are just bi-polar. :hmmm:

I really don't blame the players or COACHES for this one. I actually didn't know what to feel in this last game. I only felt real upset with the officiating which, to me, took the wind out of our sails for some reason.

Wolf said:
Only time I have seen Carr REALLY get upset was with that late hit a couple of weeks ago.

Are you talking about that guy in the #8 jersey who acts like he just won the lotto everytime his team scores a touchdown... I guess by fired up you mean something other than being enthused and wanting his team to win.

Maybe we should send Carr a letter and tell him to take a note fro Ron Artest, because we want him to act like a moron when ge gets upset.

The guys played bad yesterday, stop reading into it so much, I gurantee if any of you call into 610 with any of this garbage they would give yau a nice dose of "ok, well, thats your opinion and you're entitled to it, thanks for the call."

when Carr gets sacked. I would expect on of our Linemen to be there to pick him up off the turf.. I don't see that happen.. Carr just gets up and goes to the huddle. NONE of us is looking for a ARTEST as you mentioned. I just want someone to step up and motivate this team when the chips are down. Esp on the road..And yes the way you handle yourself when the going is good says alot of the way you handle yourself when things are bad.

Does anyone notice when things are going bad the whole team drops off? We have miscues and dropped passes ,like we aren't focused..

I think it shows more about David's emotion when he gets up buy himself not like a wimp and waithing for help to get up.

Again, things sure were going bad 8 days ago and they didn't start playing like garbage.

The Artest comment was sarcasm.

I gotcha.. hard to tell what is sarcasm or not..

Yesterday upset me. esp at the end.. I saw David scrambling toward the sideline and a lineman stopped (even though he was about even with the tackle box) and was walking .. then on the last play Carr gets sacked and that is it.. The linemen just walked around.. I don't expect David to wait for someone to pick him up , but I would expect a linemen /running back to be there to pick him up if they made a mistake.
Granted of course Carr does hold onto the ball too long sometimes.

I've been saying all along that if we finish 6-10 we are still improving over last year. This is just a realistic approach to our team.

Expecting them to make the playoffs in their third year is just setting yourself up for disappointment. They haven't showed us anything in the past two years that should lead you to believe that the playoffs were an actual possibility. They have only showed us that they are still in the building process.

They are playing like a 6-10 team, and we should expect (and appreciate) where we are at in our development cycle.

Next year is a different story...

I said before the season that I thought this team would win 6-8 games, with a bullseye on 7. I think they are on target for that. But, I also said, as did Hervoyel, that this was the first year that the expansion label needed to come off as far as excuses. They have been wildly inconsistent, and the trend of getting whalloped on the road is distressing. And, in that catagory, Carr is the leader. At home, he has looked downright great at times, but he has rarely looked great on the road. The team also does not seem to play with the same passion or intensity on the road as at home.

As long as they meet the criteria of imrovement in the W-L record, then the coaches deserve another year. But, I also sometimes wonder if a more fiery leader would help, especially in a hostile environment. There are all kinds of leadership styles, each with it's own positives and negatives. Capers has lots of positves with his style. Tom Landry didn't "get in anyone's grill" and still somehow managed to win consistently more and longer than any coach in history.

Double Barrel said:
I've been saying all along that if we finish 6-10 we are still improving over last year. This is just a realistic approach to our team.

Expecting them to make the playoffs in their third year is just setting yourself up for disappointment. They haven't showed us anything in the past two years that should lead you to believe that the playoffs were an actual possibility. They have only showed us that they are still in the building process.

They are playing like a 6-10 team, and we should expect (and appreciate) where we are at in our development cycle.

Next year is a different story...

So you base improvement solely on our record. We had a much tougher schedule last year with a boat load of players on ir and still managed to win 5 games. This year we added some free agents and some good draft picks and play a weaker schedule. So I don't see a better record this year necessarily showing improvement.

non natural texan said:
I love the hypocracy(sp) on this board, you all were singing their praises 8 days ago because the guys weren't quitters, remember they were down by 18 and won by 10. :hairpull:

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist or not enough of a fan because I don't go from elated to depressed and pis.sed off after every win or loss, or maybe some of you are just bi-polar. :hmmm:

Houston=home of the bandwagoner...

I'm not going to go Philly-style and bash the team after a loss....this msg. board is full of Bandwagoners...I hate it,and dont try to beat around it,cuz most of you guys are. I know alot of cities have their fair share of them,but in this city,it gets a littie stupid. *waits for the people to say "im a realist 1st,a fan 2nd*

How is any poster on this board a Bandwagoner this team has never won anything teams only get Bandwagon fans when it starts winning.

Grid said:
it may be time that we got a loud personality on this team.
But I don't think we had that loud personality last year did we ? And the team played differently then they do now. They didn't quit when they were way down by multiple touchdowns like they are quitting in the lop sided
losses this year. What's happening, I'm afraid to say, is that the team is really getting used to losing.

I think we have a player that can bring the fire and emotion to the team, but the player needs more playing time. That player is Peek. He bust his butt to get to the QB or lay a hit on someone on a kickoff. I saw a post on here asking about where's the Gary Walker that flex his muscles after a sack or tackle? I think if Peek has the oppertunity he'll be the new Gary Walker of the team.

Texas_Heat said:
About this team this game shows that this is the third road game that the player just quit playing. This team has taken a major step back from last year. The team last year fought in every game this years group is a bunch of quitters.

The rest of the league isn't taking the Texans lightly as they did last season. Teams know what can happen if you let a team like this hang around. Does anyone out there really think the Texans were as good as the Patriots. Based on some of the logic I see around here they must have been since they took them to OT last season. The Texans have not taken a step back. It's called a growing curve. It takes expansion teams time to build themselves up to become contenders. Carolina and Jacksonville tried for the quick fix and neither have been great again. I don't consider Carolina's run last season to be anything more than getting every bounce to go your way. Give the Texans time. Going into the season most people expected them to be around .500 at the best and a loss at the Jets was probably what most people figured. They still have a good chance at 7-9, maybe even 8-8 still.

. The team is just not good enough yet. It's not a deal where you're actually a good team, but have no desire to win. This is the standard copout used when expectations exceed the level that the team is actually at.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter how tough a face you make or how much you flex your muscles if you over matched :hairpull:

I saw a lot of emotion comming from the coaches after the bad calls and the players still played without any emotion

MIGHTYTEX said:
I think we have a player that can bring the fire and emotion to the team, but the player needs more playing time. That player is Peek. He bust his butt to get to the QB or lay a hit on someone on a kickoff. I saw a post on here asking about where's the Gary Walker that flex his muscles after a sack or tackle? I think if Peek has the oppertunity he'll be the new Gary Walker of the team.

That a boy! When Peek gets some PT and some more experience, he will be the emotional leader. The guy already is, He actually shows excitement after he makes a play. Ever noticed how everytime he does something he gets the people around him going. He attracts the camera when he is in too. He shows pride in himself when he plays, he gets so excited about playing he puked on the sideline. He is a ball of energy waiting to explode. And i believe all the hating has died down on his abilities and people can stop saying all he has is a speed rush straight up the field, because sunday he would have got his sack when he was held he used a perfect spin move to the inside to get around Fabini. He has developed and hopefully he will show why he was drafted by this team.

Football is a brutal, aggressive, and nasty game. It’s not a game of tennis or polo; it is a game where men beat the tar out of each other and walk away with blood on their jerseys. I for one do not want a bunch of refined gentlemen playing on my team. I want tough ruthless monsters that will step on the opposing player because he is in his path, rather than pick them up off the ground.

Where is the fire, where is the point of attack? There is none. Our players use words like please and thank you, and the same goes for our coach as well. Yesterday was the FIRST TIME I’ve seen Capers show any emotion at all. I was so shocked I had to rewind the TIVO just to see it again.

I say bring on the Ray Lewis, the Chad Johnson, and hell yeah, bring me TO! Their jerks, their rude, they care about themselves, say whatever you want, but one thing you have to say is that they are amazing football players that pump their teams up. Look at the Eagles; they were a good team the last few years. With the addition of TO they are a great team, and it is because of his attitude and fire that he brings to the table.

GET RID OF THE NICE GUYS, COACH CAPERS AND CHRIS PALMER! THERE IS A REASON THESE PEOPLE DIDN’T HAVE JOBS WHEN THIS TEAM STARTED! I love this team, but it’s not a tennis team or a polo team….IT’S A DAMN FOOTBALL TEAM!

People are worrying too much. Before the season even started only mindless homers thought we had a chance for the playoffs this year. Even 2005 might be too early to talk playoffs. I don't think we are taking a step backwards. Just give it some time.

Texans Pride said:
Football is a brutal, aggressive, and nasty game. It’s not a game of tennis or polo; it is a game where men beat the tar out of each other and walk away with blood on their jerseys. I for one do not want a bunch of refined gentlemen playing on my team. I want tough ruthless monsters that will step on the opposing player because he is in his path, rather than pick them up off the ground.

Where is the fire, where is the point of attack? There is none. Our players use words like please and thank you, and the same goes for our coach as well. Yesterday was the FIRST TIME I’ve seen Capers show any emotion at all. I was so shocked I had to rewind the TIVO just to see it again.

I say bring on the Ray Lewis, the Chad Johnson, and hell yeah, bring me TO! Their jerks, their rude, they care about themselves, say whatever you want, but one thing you have to say is that they are amazing football players that pump their teams up. Look at the Eagles; they were a good team the last few years. With the addition of TO they are a great team, and it is because of his attitude and fire that he brings to the table.

GET RID OF THE NICE GUYS, COACH CAPERS AND CHRIS PALMER! THERE IS A REASON THESE PEOPLE DIDN’T HAVE JOBS WHEN THIS TEAM STARTED! I love this team, but it’s not a tennis team or a polo team….IT’S A DAMN FOOTBALL TEAM!

I will say one thing, chad johnson is not selfish. The guy gets all "selfished up" just for games. Normally he is a quiet shy guy. He only wears his gold teeth for the game. The cockiness is a way of getting pumped up, its a confidence builder. Thats why he good, he knows he is the best, and thats why he plays like it. There is nothing wrong with that, and some of that on this team would help.

jhawktx said:
People are worrying too much. Before the season even started only mindless homers thought we had a chance for the playoffs this year. Even 2005 might be too early to talk playoffs. I don't think we are taking a step backwards. Just give it some time.

Some of the people I see worrying didn't plan on watching playoff games. I know I thought that the playoffs were a wild outside shot at best and that was if the team was far ahead of where I thought they'd be. Most of the people I see worrying were thinking game or two over or under a .500 season.

Still, I agree with you if for no other reason than "give it some time" is about all we can do. We've just got to watch this thing take it's course and then see where it is at going into next year.

I agree .

the article by the chronicle about "ugly truth " was right on.. Even when we win. it is a struggle and hides the facts of
1) we can't run the ball effectively
2) we can't stop people from running the ball
3) 3rd down conversions (we can't convert them and we can't stop the opponents from converting)

wins hide the flaws that we have.. and these 3 things have bugged me all season long

Back