Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Melvin Gordon wanted to be a Texan

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/...to-the-houston-texans--Xvm5LmZa0GqM7dzm803sQ/

Report: Chargers Melvin Gordon Was Open to Being Traded to the Houston Texans
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTY3MTc0MzI2NTkwNjQ1MzY0%2Fusatsi_11920744.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fmaven.io%2Fapi%2Fuser%2F7FdxrVaeCEWlAbXI1ggV8Q%2Fphoto%3Fversion%3D0

byPatrick D. Starr37 mins

Los Angeles Chargers running back Melvin Gordon was attempting to get traded to the Houston Texans during his holdout.

Los Angeles Chargers running back Melvin Gordon is returning to his team after attempting to hold out for a new contract. Gordon is entering the final year of his contract where he is set to make $5.6 million.

According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, Gordon was open to being traded to the Houston Texans, but the Chargers never made it a viable option for Gordon.

“Was told Melvin Gordon was open to being traded to the Houston Texans early in the process, but the Chargers never really made trading Gordon to any team a viable option. Only choice was to report eventually, accrue the season toward free agency.”

At the time of Gordon's holdout, the Texans just lost Lamar Miller to a torn ACL. With the large-cap space the team was held at the time and heading to next season, the Texans were a precise match for what Gordon was looking for in a destination.

The Texans traded for Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde to for their running backs for the 2019 season. With Gordon becoming a free agent in 2020, it could be a situation to watch when free agency arrives for the talented running back.

Does Gordon’s micro fracture surgery scare everyone away?

Top 5 in terms of hands and vision out of all RBs in the NFL.

LOL @ "not good enough to pay or trade draft capital for" ... "never a fan" .. dollar store Hyde better or comparable? HAH!

RB is a position of less importance in the modern NFL and not nearly as impactful for teams like Houston who struggle to incorporate the receiving skills out of the backfield. I mean you guys probably are right why have a marquee player if all you ask him to do is run into a wall 20 times a game.

tenor.gif

Top 5 in terms of hands and vision out of all RBs in the NFL.

LOL @ "not good enough to pay or trade draft capital for" ... "never a fan" .. dollar store Hyde better or comparable? HAH!

RB is a position of less importance in the modern NFL and not nearly as impactful for teams like Houston who struggle to incorporate the receiving skills out of the backfield. I mean you guys probably are right why have a marquee player if all you ask him to do is run into a wall 20 times a game.

tenor.gif
Let me be more specific, we will not get the return there for draft capital and cap space that we can elsewhere and RB's can have very short shelf lives not living up to their second contract. Is he better, sure. We have enough offensive weapons if deployed right, I want some dollars and draft capital for CB, and reup guys like Tunsil, Mercilus, Reader, DW4, Stills or Fuller etc. NOt some RB that is a 10% upgrade

Let me be more specific, we will not get the return there for draft capital and cap space that we can elsewhere and RB's can have very short shelf lives not living up to their second contract. Is he better, sure. We have enough offensive weapons if deployed right, I want some dollars and draft capital for CB, and reup guys like Tunsil, Mercilus, Reader, DW4, Stills or Fuller etc. NOt some RB that is a 10% upgrade

So you have no problem upping Mercilus? Reader? STILLS??? FULLER? who are marginal talents themselves, but you would steer clear of a true RB star. OKAY. Curious where you were on the Clowney fray. Wasnt this an "all in" season according to Texans brass? Wont be much money left for everyone after Watson and Tunsil get their half of the pie. When we are going to give JJ another huge extension?

"if deployed right" ... therein lies the problem.

Also, how do you know we will not "get the return of draft capital" .. Gordon is good for 1000 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving each year, thats not a good ROI??? For comparison Hyde has about half the receptions/receiving yards that Gordon has in a comparable time in the league, actually Hyde has one more year of service, but since he's "cheaper" he's deemed a better fit, but if the team truly modernized with a HB split out wouldnt it be a better use of talent?

Did we really trade a 3rd round pick for Duke Johnson just so he can run between the tackles?? Is that a good return??

Yup, CBs are nice. Especially when you can choose your pick of the litter, but decide to do something different and edgy with a 1st round pick.

So you have no problem upping Mercilus? Reader? STILLS??? FULLER? who are marginal talents themselves, but you would steer clear of a true RB star. OKAY. Curious where you were on the Clowney fray. Wasnt this an "all in" season according to Texans brass? Wont be much money left for everyone after Watson and Tunsil get their half of the pie. When we are going to give JJ another huge extension?

"if deployed right" ... therein lies the problem.

Also, how do you know we will not "get the return of draft capital" .. Gordon is good for 1000 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving each year, thats not a good ROI??? For comparison Hyde has about half the receptions/receiving yards that Gordon has in a comparable time in the league, actually Hyde has one more year of service, but since he's "cheaper" he's deemed a better fit, but if the team truly modernized with a HB split out wouldnt it be a better use of talent?

Did we really trade a 3rd round pick for Duke Johnson just so he can run between the tackles?? Is that a good return??

Yup, CBs are nice. Especially when you can choose your pick of the litter, but decide to do something different and edgy with a 1st round pick.

This thread is Lol!

You haven't even evaluated the fact that the Texans have no assets to trade for a top RB, nor are they in a great position to pay one top dollars.

As usual, you're complaining about something that had almost no chance of happening and if it did the Texans would have to spend a ton more draft picks they already don't have. Plus, the Texans have pretty good run production out of a platoon now which is a way better situation to have than one great RB who can get hurt a lot easier than having two or three to rely on.

This isn't Madden.

I explained myself and Texecutioner s the same thing. We see it different. I did a look at salary cap and projections and all I am saying is we have to make choices to live within it in the next years, and I would not use our mojo on a RB. He is not going to win you a bunch more games. He is not elite. In a uncapped world, get him if you canm and pay him, but I would rather have a good CB than Gordon. You seem to want it all, I did the math and that ain't working in future years. If I can get Reader, CB and Mercilus versus Clowney, send CLowney away. One guy rarely wins you FB games outside of QB. I just try to live in reality.

Lol @ “ I did the math “ ok Rich.

With an expected base cap increase to 200M it would give the Texans around 85M in cap space. You knew this already though so just curious how you’ve allocated the yearly spending and how you claim there is no money.

I don’t want it all, I want the team to go “all in” you know ... like they said they were.

I’ll revisit this topic after 10-12 games of Johnson & Hyde (if they even make it that long) and go from there.

I feel good cuz as reported there is already interest and the Texans could still sign him next year and this might make you tingly .. AT A VALUE!! 8-8.5 per if lucky with player choosing advantage of good team vs more money.

Gordon >>>>>>>> Miller + Hyde + Johnson. Best back we would have since Arian and it would add an almost unstoppable element to the offense.

if Reader and Mercilus get froggy with demands - bye Felicia! Easily replaceable.

Lol @ “ I did the math “ ok Rich.

With an expected base cap increase to 200M it would give the Texans around 85M in cap space. You knew this already though so just curious how you’ve allocated the yearly spending and how you claim there is no money.

I don’t want it all, I want the team to go “all in” you know ... like they said they were.

I’ll revisit this topic after 10-12 games of Johnson & Hyde (if they even make it that long) and go from there.

I feel good cuz as reported there is already interest and the Texans could still sign him next year and this might make you tingly .. AT A VALUE!! 8-8.5 per if lucky with player choosing advantage of good team vs more money.

Gordon >>>>>>>> Miller + Hyde + Johnson. Best back we would have since Arian and it would add an almost unstoppable element to the offense.

if Reader and Mercilus get froggy with demands - bye Felicia! Easily replaceable.
I already put numbers in another post (too lazy to find) and we won't agree I guess so you can win here. I get your all in, but think getting Melvin for this year and dismantling or not keeping core guys in future years is not a good way of mgmt. You and I disagree just how good he is above other RB's so that is fine. I would spend the key dollars on offensive tackles, QB, STUD WR, edge, CB and even DL before RB. I see too many RB's blown up on one hit (yes everyone is 1 hit away they take more abuse), and cheap RBs are "good enough" Melvin is not Zeke or Barkley and DW4 adds to the running threat. I also don't like prima donna's. Get in, work, excel and you get paid. I understand it is a business, but I was raised in the do your job world and it works most of the time so probably a personal bias

I already put numbers in another post (too lazy to find) and we won't agree I guess so you can win here. I get your all in, but think getting Melvin for this year and dismantling or not keeping core guys in future years is not a good way of mgmt. You and I disagree just how good he is above other RB's so that is fine. I would spend the key dollars on offensive tackles, QB, STUD WR, edge, CB and even DL before RB. I see too many RB's blown up on one hit (yes everyone is 1 hit away they take more abuse), and cheap RBs are "good enough" Melvin is not Zeke or Barkley and DW4 adds to the running threat. I also don't like prima donna's. Get in, work, excel and you get paid. I understand it is a business, but I was raised in the do your job world and it works most of the time so probably a personal bias

I get it bro. Not trying to be intentionally difficult, you and I want the same thing at the end. Hopefully the current team as assembled can build on last year and help give a better outlook to where the $$ needs to go. I agree the team is need of a true CB and really the whole secondary looks suspect, even more with the shoulder injury Reid is playing with currently.

Tunsil is still under contract one more year. There is still control of Watson for a couple of years. Franchise tag is still there to be used. This team has a ton of money and they will HAVE to be players in free agency due to the lack of picks in the next few years.

I love value as much as the next guy, but hows that union saying go? "Skilled labor is not cheap, and cheap labor is not skilled"

Nice chatting with you.

Clowney had leverage. Gordon never had leverage. Bad advice was given....

The difference is the Texans caved and the Chargers didn't. Spanos has a history of drawing a line in the sand and if you want to play this yr it's up to you.

I get it bro. Not trying to be intentionally difficult, you and I want the same thing at the end. Hopefully the current team as assembled can build on last year and help give a better outlook to where the $$ needs to go. I agree the team is need of a true CB and really the whole secondary looks suspect, even more with the shoulder injury Reid is playing with currently.

Tunsil is still under contract one more year. There is still control of Watson for a couple of years. Franchise tag is still there to be used. This team has a ton of money and they will HAVE to be players in free agency due to the lack of picks in the next few years.

I love value as much as the next guy, but hows that union saying go? "Skilled labor is not cheap, and cheap labor is not skilled"

Nice chatting with you.

You do realize the Texans have multiple picks in the 3rd/4th rds as well as a 2nd next yr? If they do their jobs correctly the secondary can be rebuilt.

Nice chatting with you.

So Tunsil is going to play next season without an extension to his contract making him the highest paid Olineman in the league? Lol!

You aren't looking at any of this with realistic projections. Tunsil is going to want his money next year and you can book that right now.

He'd be the dumbest player in the league if he didn't hold out knowing how much the Texans gave up for him and how badly they'll need to keep Watson protected. He's getting paid next season. He has no reason to play under his rookie contract next year. Hell, he could hold out RIGHT NOW if he wanted to, and the Texans would fold to his demands.

Watson will likely want to get paid too. If I was his agent, you can damn sure bet I'd be trying to force that.

It's like you've never paid any attention at all to how players get paid on rookie contracts versus FA's on the open market. YES YOU CAN GET CHEAP LABOR IN THIS LEAGUE. The NFL draft is how you do that. When you select great players under the current CBA, you end up getting excellent value for low dollars. Its when those players have played a few years under those contracts, and they hold out or hit the open market they end up getting huge contracts.

Last edited:
Aren't Mahomes' people thinking the same exact thing?

I guess if you think Watson will command more than the astronomical number that Mahomes will land then sure, but I'm guessing they're not thinking that would happen.

Mahomes is looking at 40M a year and 200M total with probably half of that guaranteed. I doubt Watson and his team would ask for north of that.

I guess if you think Watson will command more than the astronomical number that Mahomes will land then sure, but I'm guessing they're not thinking that would happen.

Mahomes is looking at 40M a year and 200M total with probably half of that guaranteed. I doubt Watson and his team would ask for north of that.

I was mainly stating that both camps wants to wait for the other to sign first, to help set the market.

I'm guessing both guys will get something very similar. Maybe Mahomes gets more guaranteed?

I was mainly stating that both camps wants to wait for the other to sign first, to help set the market.

I'm guessing both guys will get something very similar. Maybe Mahomes gets more guaranteed?

I'd imagine Watson gets something closer to Goff/Wentz money, probably a slight bump up but not quite passing Russel Wilson.

Back