Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Marlon McCree

dagr8whitehope

Practice Squad
what's up with marlon mcree, boy got mad props from EA on madden 04, so why is he not being mentioned at all as far as a starting gig? mcree seems like a lot of money just to keep around as a backup, so i'm thinking trade or something. if anybody knows anything, let me know because this has me a bit perplexed, thanks.

you can't base starting jobs on madden 04 ratings...however, if that is the route you wish to take, mccree is rated well (80), and coleman is rated better (86)...therefore, it is simple to see that coleman is a better choice for the starting fs spot...

what i was saying was that coleman might be able to play strong safety and mcree at free safety, that would give us a very athletic secondary. no doubt coleman's better rated, but when you transfer the ratings to safety, they are actually about equal, that's all i was saying. but as it stands, i can deal w/ coleman starting over mcree, it just seemed odd to have a player of his caliber around if he's not being used all the time.

Why would you let Coleman go? He's a veteran PRO BOWLER...unless his salary is really hurting the cap and other options for the Texans...doesn't make sense to let him go.

Since when did $628,000 become too much of a cap issue? McCree's salary is fine. Also, Coleman isn't physical enough to play SS in my eyes. Coleman can make a solid conversion to FS but I want a big-time hitter at SS. Coleman has good ball skills and can play over the top of Robinson to give deep help as FS's often do. SS's contribute more to run support as a general rule.

do we have a big hitter tho? brown ... eh. walker might be but his coverage skills might keep him from gettin a starting job. earl's injured. i'd let mccree & brown compete for the starting ss job. while mccree might not be as effective in the box, he should do well across the middle with coleman behind him. also on 2-deep formations we know that mccree has the speed to keep up. he also provides a more than capable backup should any db go down, or say if coleman was used as a nickel cb & mccree fs it would be a big upgrade over wright at cb & coleman at fs.

IMO

dagr8whitehope said:
what's up with marlon mcree, boy got mad props from EA on madden 04, so why is he not being mentioned at all as far as a starting gig? mcree seems like a lot of money just to keep around as a backup, so i'm thinking trade or something. if anybody knows anything, let me know because this has me a bit perplexed, thanks.

As previously mentioned. McRee is not getting much money, and the Texans can shift Coleman to the nickel CB spot in the 3-WR sets. :twocents: I must admit. I thought Faggins and Wright did a good job when Glenn was out.

I think it is great to have the depth for multiple formations and options. So much better than Matt Stevens and this rookie or that.

I agree with V that the SS position must be a big time hitter, like Blaine Bishop or Ronnie Lott. It creates a much different defensive atmosphere and one that is most pleasing to Texans Football.

Eric Brown has made some big hits. Problem with Eric is that he is listed at 210 pounds and that is too light. He needs to have at least 220 pounds on his 6 foot frame to put a little more punch in his pop.

In reality it is all about the want to and if Eric doesn't want to create an atmosphere of knowing that wideouts will get hit and hit hard if they come across the middle and running backs will be punished on sweeps.

If not, then I am sure Ramon Walker or Glen Earl are going to give it their best.

I agree that having depth is never a problem at any position in the NFL. Especially considering safeties tend to not make as much money as many other positions (ie their fellow secondary members CB's). We all must understand that Coleman is learning a new position after all his years in the NFL, and that is not an easy feat. Mcree will probably be back at FS at some of the more crucial portions of games early on in the season until Dom is comfortable with Coleman's ability back there. Everyone seems pretty down on Brown. Granted he's not an All Pro quality SS, but he does do a decent job back there at SS. Every team can't have a Roy Williams, Ed Reed, or John Lynch patrolling back there. A secondary's mentality is not soley created by the SS. If you have a bunch of tough hard hitting CB's or an especially tough FS (ie Roy) it can strike just as much fear into wideouts venturing into their territory. All I am saying is that Charlie and Dom have done a good job thus far plugging up weak points in our team, and Brown looks like hes doing a decent job back there at SS till DC & CC can fix the position for good.

well the main thing here is that we have the quality depth to be having this conversation...which is great...coleman is the clear cut winner at FS while brown vs. mccree could be an interesting position battle during the training camps...as for the nickelback is concerned i still think you'll see wright out there...he is an experienced veteran who played great when glenn was on IR

In our pass happy division we might go with McCree at SS. Better cover skills than Brown, but Brown is porbably better in run support. Probably will depend on how confident the Coaches are that we can stop the run to that side, which I guess will boil down to Mr. Babin's play.

McCree will provide us with an excellent backup safety. McCree will provide us with excellent depth at the safety positions and with a year under his belt under our defense, he will be a better player overall.

Back