Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Make Tony Romo the Texans’ new Head Coach!

Mangler

Toro de España
Watching the AFC Championship game and listening to his commentary made me realize just how pathetic, and useless Bill O’Brien is. Tony Romo made a few play calls that would expose the Chiefs’ defense, and guess what Bill Belichick did? Yep, you got it right...he called the exact same play Romo suggested they ran on that certain situation!

O’Brien would have ran Miller up the guy 3 times and punt it away while up 17-20.

I’ve listened to Tony Romo’s Commentary closely since he got the job and he has made some play calls that when the coaches dial them up end up in big gains or scores. The guy knows his stuff and someone will offer him big money soon to take over their team, why not us? We need a guy who isn’t no going to try to get cute, and actually call professional football plays!

I'm gonna go out in a limb and say that it's much easier to call plays from the cushy booth with no other interference or distraction than to do so from the sideline with all the things swirling around that come with being the head coach.
Well we know for sure that OB can’t do it. Romo would probably be smart enough not to take on all that at once and delegate like any other reasonable person would.

Knowing plays and actually you know, designing and calling plays are not the same. What leads you to think Romo could actually coach, if he wanted that headache. He's never been even an offensive assistant

Who was the last guy that came out of the booth to actually do a good job coaching at the top level? Anyone? Ferris?

Maybe Romo as OC would be better. That way he could sit up in a booth, not be distracted and see how plays are deve!oping. Sort of like he has done when calling the game for TV. Just a thought, but it was pretty impressive how many play suggestions he got right.

I found him annoying as hell. He wouldn't shut up. Yeah he got some things right, he just kept repeating himself until he was (finally) right

I found him annoying as hell. He wouldn't shut up. Yeah he got some things right, he just kept repeating himself until he was (finally) right

Repeating himself and being right.

My wife loved the fact that he could call plays before they happened. He obviously does film study on the games he calls. Romo is setting the bar high for alot of lazy analysts.

He's the best in the business.

I'd conjecture that there are many people in football, both currently playing/coaching and retired who have the insight Romo does. What Romo brings to the table which is somewhat unique is the ability to convey that insight to a TV audience in real time. Simply put, he's by far the best at what he does and is in the perfect job.

Who was the last guy that came out of the booth to actually do a good job coaching at the top level? Anyone? Ferris?[/QUOTE]

Vermeil?

My wife loved the fact that he could call plays before they happened. He obviously does film study on the games he calls. Romo is setting the bar high for alot of lazy analysts.

Since Madden retired that's not exactly been a hard target to hit.
Also Romo should know what plays BB was going to use, he got beat by them enough. :clown:

I'd conjecture that there are many people in football, both currently playing/coaching and retired who have the insight Romo does. What Romo brings to the table which is somewhat unique is the ability to convey that insight to a TV audience in real time. Simply put, he's by far the best at what he does and is in the perfect job.

and Romo does what SteelB already pointed out, he does film study on the teams he is going to call. So he knows what they want to do from a certain set against a certain defensive look. I don't know the last time we had a commentator that dedicated to his craft. Now that doesn't mean he could walk right in and be a HC for an NFL team, but he certainly has a high football IQ. I mean there are some that are just plain obvious like "If they single Gronk they are going to give him a shot, but if they chose to double him watch the slant to Edelman in the slot." Maybe a lot of casual fans won't see that pre snap(but that's who a commentator is a casual fan who might not have a great understanding)

and Romo does what SteelB already pointed out, he does film study on the teams he is going to call. So he knows what they want to do from a certain set against a certain defensive look. I don't know the last time we had a commentator that dedicated to his craft. Now that doesn't mean he could walk right in and be a HC for an NFL team, but he certainly has a high football IQ. I mean there are some that are just plain obvious like "If they single Gronk they are going to give him a shot, but if they chose to double him watch the slant to Edelman in the slot." Maybe a lot of casual fans won't see that pre snap(but that's who a commentator is a casual fan who might not have a great understanding)

Yep, he know how to study film, as do Aikman (who I think is best of the bunch) and Whitten. Romo probably best knows how to talk with Joe football (you and me), but I wouldn't give any of theae a shot at HC OR OC until they have proven that they can teach. Reid is a great coach because he can not only teach, but teaches how to teach.

Last edited:
Agreed when it comes to his asst coaches.

Players, not so much.

I would say more that he teaches them how to play their part in his scheme than he teaches them to be better players. I mean look at how many good Pat. players went to other teams and were average at best. BB gives his players fish but he doesn't really teach them how to fish. I don't blame him as his job is only to coach and win for NE and if a player sucks after leaving his team all the better for him.

I would say more that he teaches them how to play their part in his scheme than he teaches them to be better players. I mean look at how many good Pat. players went to other teams and were average at best. BB gives his players fish but he doesn't really teach them how to fish. I don't blame him as his job is only to coach and win for NE and if a player sucks after leaving his team all the better for him.

BB is the best at putting his players in a position to succeed.

I cant believe the Pats shut out the Chiefs in the 1st half yesterday.

Complimentary football at it's finest.

Maybe Romo as OC would be better. That way he could sit up in a booth, not be distracted and see how plays are deve!oping. Sort of like he has done when calling the game for TV. Just a thought, but it was pretty impressive how many play suggestions he got right.
I would be surprised if Tony would leave the booth this soon, BUT, the Cowboys need an OC now.

Yep, he know how to study film, as do Aikman (who I think is best of the bunch) and Whitten. Romo probably best knows how to talk with Joe football (you and me), but I wouldn't give any of theae a shot at HC OR OC until they have proven that they can teach. Reid is a great coach because he can not only teach, but teaches how to teach.
Witten. I believe that Tony was doing some coaching from the sidelines when Dak took over his job.

You know, I would actually be intrigued if a team hired Romo as an offensive quality control coach or even a QB coach. You just never know with these guys. I had the pleasure of watching Chris Weinke coach at one of my career stops and it is interesting to see how some guys just have a knack for teaching.

Reactions: JB

On the play the Pats got stuffed on 4th and 1 , Romo said that it should be a sneak the way the defense lined up . The Pats handed off to a RB and took a loss .

BB is the best at putting his players in a position to succeed.

I cant believe the Pats shut out the Chiefs in the 1st half yesterday.

Complimentary football at it's finest.

BB is a great HC coach b/c he runs that team with an iron fist...point blank period. Going off script to "make plays" isn't tolerated & you're likely not going to be there long if you're one of those guys. He wants team 1st guys and foremost.

BB is a great HC coach b/c he runs that team with an iron fist...point blank period. Going off script to "make plays" isn't tolerated & you're likely not going to be there long if you're one of those guys. He wants team 1st guys and foremost.

See; Malcolm Butler

Keeping the culture is more important than winning a SB to BB.

I'm gonna go out in a limb and say that it's much easier to call plays from the cushy booth with no other interference or distraction than to do so from the sideline with all the things swirling around that come with being the head coach.
So bring Romo in as OC and do HC stuff instead of OC stuff.

So bring Romo in as OC and do HC stuff instead of OC stuff.

I'm not trying to flat out poopoo the idea.

Maybe Romo would make the best OC of all time. Or maybe he fails miserably because having the headset on and making critical split sound decisions on the fly in the heat of actual competition isn't the same as sounding like a playcalling wizard from the comfy booth.

The latter is all I was trying to make some point of..

Watching the AFC Championship game and listening to his commentary made me realize just how pathetic, and useless Bill O’Brien is. Tony Romo made a few play calls that would expose the Chiefs’ defense, and guess what Bill Belichick did? Yep, you got it right...he called the exact same play Romo suggested they ran on that certain situation!

O’Brien would have ran Miller up the guy 3 times and punt it away while up 17-20.

I’ve listened to Tony Romo’s Commentary closely since he got the job and he has made some play calls that when the coaches dial them up end up in big gains or scores. The guy knows his stuff and someone will offer him big money soon to take over their team, why not us? We need a guy who isn’t no going to try to get cute, and actually call professional football plays!

Never thought about it but I'd take him in a heartbeat. Of course, now that it's in the air if he were willing he'd hit up Dallas. They need him just as bad.

I'm not trying to flat out poopoo the idea.

Maybe Romo would make the best OC of all time. Or maybe he fails miserably because having the headset on and making critical split sound decisions on the fly in the heat of actual competition isn't the same as sounding like a playcalling wizard from the comfy booth.

The latter is all I was trying to make some point of..

Pretty much. Romo wasn't exactly known for his great success in the clutch/primetime when he was a player.

Never know who might be good or bad as a coach. We do know who we have in O’Brien as a coach. It’s worth a shot.

Back