Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Luv Ya Blue and Bum

gwallaia

Staff member
"His easygoing attitude, country-fried accent, ranch-hand attire and penchant for one-liners cut a stark contrast to the league's iron-jawed taskmasters like Don Shula, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll and Paul Brown."

With all of the drama going on with our local team, I was about to post this great article. Thanks for posting.

Funny enough, Bud gave us 36 years of drama as an NFL owner in this city. Cal is a lightweight compared to Bud Adams.

I do miss his old team, though. There was something almost magical about the Luv Ya Blue era, Bum, Earl, and the entire team's relationship with the city, especially just being a kid in the middle of it all. I have yet to experience anything even close to any of that as a football fan since the late 1970's.

Funny enough, Bud gave us 36 years of drama as an NFL owner in this city. Cal is a lightweight compared to Bud Adams.

I do miss his old team, though. There was something almost magical about the Luv Ya Blue era, Bum, Earl, and the entire team's relationship with the city, especially just being a kid in the middle of it all. I have yet to experience anything even close to any of that as a football fan since the late 1970's.

Yeah, the being a kid part was the best part. No concerns then of contracts, trades, and all the other non-between the lines BS that that we're currently flooded with today. Just playing football was the only thing that mattered.

That was a special time, and I believe here was the only place it could have happened like that. 70,000 Philly fans to greet them after losing a championship game? Hell no. They burn down their city winning a Super Bowl.

I still remember the Monday Night game like it was yesterday. Still has to be one of the greatest, and certainly most exciting games in any sport I've ever seen. Maybe surpassed by game 5?

But then you grow up, and you start to become more aware of the non-playing football part, as the heartbreaks continue to mount, and by the time of the 35-3 collapse, I was done with them. I like to think it was a premonition of things to come, but I never rooted for them again after that game.

But the Luv Ya Blue days were special. No doubt about that. And I still have hate for the Steelers to this day.

Y'all remember this one?

I had the 45 and wore it out, along with the Oilers fight song.

I remember that MNF game against the Dolphins. It was one of the rare nights that my folks let me stay up late. lol

My mom had gotten a Luv Ya Blue sign from one of the local papers and made an Oilers shrine in our living room with it. We had gotten some Oilers pom poms from one of the games that she put on both sides, and next to that was a poster of Earl and Bum.

It's hard to describe to my kids today that are so used to the internet and 5000 different things to watch and do.

It was very tough before (and after) Bum though

Great article. I remember the Luv Ya Blue era like it was yesterday, though I can't remember yesterday. I still have the blue/white pom pom's. It could never be repeated these days with all the corporate sponsors wanting their product placement.
I hope David Culley and Nick Caserio read this article and understand that "If they build it, we will come". Make it your own.

Pretty sickening that the Titans ownership would steal a HOUSTON ICON.

View attachment 9044

BUM..................Always LUV YA BLUE..................always HOUSTON

I agree, but it is even more sickening that the McNair family has refused to honor any former Houston pro football players / coaches. It seems like a very small gesture out of respect for the fanbase, but since there's no money in it, I guess it was never really a viable option.

I once got a petition going to consider making #34 an honor for Earl and fans, and they replied that Earl was "never a Texan". Which is absolute BS considering his roots (and playing career) in Texas.

Unfortunately, the Titans have more respect for former Oilers players and coaches than the Houston Texans.

The Titans ring of honor:

TitansRoH.jpg

I agree, but it is even more sickening that the McNair family has refused to honor any former Houston pro football players / coaches. It seems like a very small gesture out of respect for the fanbase, but since there's no money in it, I guess it was never really a viable option.

I once got a petition going to consider making #34 an honor for Earl and fans, and they replied that Earl was "never a Texan". Which is absolute BS considering his roots (and playing career) in Texas.

Unfortunately, the Titans have more respect for former Oilers players and coaches than the Houston Texans.

The Titans ring of honor:

View attachment 9052

But the Texans don't own the rights to that heritage, the Adams family do. My understanding is that the Texans aren't allowed to try to use those players and that history in any way.

Or do I have that wrong?

Pretty sickening that the Titans ownership would steal a HOUSTON ICON.

View attachment 9044

BUM..................Always LUV YA BLUE..................always HOUSTON
Yeah, that's pretty messed up. And 95% of those people probably don't have a ******* clue who he is. But it's not much different than Arizona putting Dan Dierdorf, who spent his entire 13 year NFL career in St. Louis, in their ROH. Is what it is.

But the Texans don't own the rights to that heritage, the Adams family do. My understanding is that the Texans aren't allowed to try to use those players and that history in any way.

Or do I have that wrong?

From my understanding, the Texans don't have rights to the logos or stats, but they can certainly honor whoever they want to honor.

I've seen former Oilers at autograph signing events at NRG (those All Access days they used to have for season ticket holders), but there has never been any attempt to formerly recognize any of Houston's pro football past. Vinny had contacts inside the franchise way back when and said internally the Texans attitude was to never share any of the spotlight.

I can objectively see both sides, but as a fan, I think it stinks. Earl has stated in interviews that the Texans have always given him a cold shoulder. That just left a bad taste in my mind considering the icon he is in Houston. It's no big deal. Just us old*ahem*(er) Oilers fans living in the past, man. lol ;)

Here's the current Houston pro football team's tribute to a local football icon:

:cricket::cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket:

Not gonna' lie, that was a pretty cool tribute by the Titans.

Sad to see Earl wearing Titans gear.
Earl used to say he wanted nothing to do with the Titans, since he never played one down in the state of Tennessee. I guess that changed when current Houston football wanted nothing to do with recognizing the old Oilers.

I don't blame any of those guys for going and getting the recognition there that they're not getting here.

Look, the Titans can pay tribute all they want. And the Texans can ignore anything and everything Oilers.

But, nobody can take those experiences away from me. As a fan, I lived Luv Ya Blue. They're my memories and I'm keeping them.

Look, the Titans can pay tribute all they want. And the Texans can ignore anything and everything Oilers.

But, nobody can take those experiences away from me. As a fan, I lived Luv Ya Blue. They're my memories and I'm keeping them.

Good point. And while true, memories tend to fade. And it's nice for them to be refreshed from time to time with things like tributes. Watching the Bum one brought back a lot of great memories.

Props to the Titans.

Just what I needed.

A reminder just how bland our current Houston team is.

Young'uns here will never realize the luv you blue excitement.

Nothing here but nausea till DW is forgotten history.

Hanging on as long as I can.

:coffee:

Back