Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Louis Nix

We're a better team than the Jacksonville Kittens over the last five years so we must have drafted better. Or gotten better players/coaches somehow. However, bragging you're better than a troop of girl scouts in football uniforms might not be the right thing to do.

In the thread eriadoc started a few days ago I posted a link where by the author's metrics he used, the Texans were one of the best drafting teams over the past few years.

Texans qb play has been spotty at best over the past few seasons though. Defense can only do so much. We need a guy.

We're in great shape as a franchise overall. We have a ton of young talent on both sides of the ball and enough elite players to carry us when the chips are down.

So Rick is doing a good job?

But we're the Houston Texans. We will always be just okay. Right?

Who said that? I'm just not going to throw a tantrum because we were only 9-7 in 2014. It is what it is, I'm looking forward. Bob didn't do everything I wanted. He usually doesn't.

So Rick is doing a good job?

Who said that? I'm just not going to throw a tantrum because we were only 9-7 in 2014. It is what it is, I'm looking forward. Bob didn't do everything I wanted. He usually doesn't.
I think RS is doing a good job, as far as contracts, right now. I think he blew it with Schaub ( the Texans have to get CnD on their staff) and, to a degree, Foster, when you consider his injury history. Personally, I was impressed by the interaction between RS and OB on HK. I think the two are still learning each other, but I like the dynamics between them.
I'm certainly not going to throw a tantrum about 9-7 in 2014. Especially after 2-14 in 2013 and going through 4 QB's in 2014. Helluva coaching job!!

No no, it is ALL RICK SMITH'S FAULT

post-58475-Morgan-Freeman-hes-right-you-k-eb6N_zpsrj3tav02.jpg

I think RS is doing a good job, as far as contracts, right now. I think he blew it with Schaub ( the Texans have to get CnD on their staff) and, to a degree, Foster, when you consider his injury history. Personally, I was impressed by the interaction between RS and OB on HK. I think the two are still learning each other, but I like the dynamics between them.
I'm certainly not going to throw a tantrum about 9-7 in 2014. Especially after 2-14 in 2013 and going through 4 QB's in 2014. Helluva coaching job!!
Rest assured, those were Bob McNair decisions and Rick made sure they got done. (why Rick hasn't been fired)

Last edited:
From orbit, we nuke McNair. It's the only way to be sure. When I get my spaceship working, I'll let yall know.

How much longer before this thread gets moved to the NFL section or the Thread Title gets changed to the Rick Smith Hate Thread?

I just think over the years the team have built a bit of a track record for throwing their draft strategy out of the window to draft that "first round talent" lower down the draft order.

Now that is all well and good if you hit, but if you are drafting guys with injury concerns, poor work ethic etc then that doesn't have a great success rate. You don't see them drafting the guys who tick all the boxes except size on that basis, for instance.

Maybe they need to reevaluate what they are willing to go against their own rule book for.

I think Strong may possibly be the guy that bucks that trend, although I'm a little jaded getting my hopes up for first rounders we took in the third. There's usually a reason.

didn't we move up to get NIX or oe like he was first of the board in rd 3 ..????

Man this has to be a rick smith pick right everything since kubes left is now 100% rick right ..????

didn't we move up to get NIX or oe like he was first of the board in rd 3 ..????

Man this has to be a rick smith pick right everything since kubes left is now 100% rick right ..????
I believe going into the draft, Nix was considered a mid to low 1st round pick. When he fell into the third, we traded up to get him. This was of course before getting FAs to hold the fort in the middle.

Nix is a bust. Ok. If we now get from Covington what we want, he might be a steal. So i think it´s not worth to discuss to much about a bad Thirdround pick who had at time of the draft the potential of being a steal as well.

Same thing could happen to Jaelen Strong soon. 1st Round potential we trade up for in the 3rd round as well.

Nix is a bust. Ok. If we now get from Covington what we want, he might be a steal. So i think it´s not worth to discuss to much ...
That's a good point. Every team has busts, but the good teams even things up with late round finds.

We can take this discussion elsewhere but there is a specific process for the feds to acquire land from the states distinct from dealing with foreign powers. There was something hinky about Sumter, several I believe. Don't remember the details. But anyway, for another location.

And anyway, the canon fire wasn't directed at the Fort.

I was at Ft Sumter when TJ Yates and the Texans beat the Bengals to clinch a playoff spot . My kids where texting me play by play of the game winning drive as I was taking a tour and watching dolphins swim .

Meh. It was all Nix's fault. :evil:
Come on, man. Didn't you ever take a history class?

Early on, when the South was winning the war, Fort Sumter was a brillant plan of O'Brien. Once the war turned and went to crap, then everyone realized it was a ridiculous Rick Smith plan all along.

Come on, man. Didn't you ever take a history class?

Early on, when the South was winning the war, Fort Sumter was a brillant plan of O'Brien. Once the war turned and went to crap, then everyone realized it was a ridiculous Rick Smith plan all along.

Smith ordered Pickett's charge when he should have gone to the passing game .

Smith ordered Pickett's charge when he should have gone to the passing game .

That's especially true considering that Pickett was over the hill before we even got him. His last few years in Green Bay were all he really had left in the tank. He had no business charging anybody.

That's especially true considering that Pickett was over the hill before we even got him. His last few years in Green Bay were all he really had left in the tank. He had no business charging anybody.
Was that BankAmericard perhaps? or Diners Club?

MODS, if you aren't going to take this discussion to the NSZ, then kindly take this thread to the National Football League forum.

If you LIKE the Texans giving up the first picks in RD 4 and 5 (#101, #141) to draft Nix draft then you will LOVE the TEXANS giving up picks #51, #116 and #195 for draft pick #43 Bednardrick McKinney and #229; AND LOVE even more the TEXANS giving up draft picks #82, #152, #229 and DeVier Posey for draft pick #70 Jaelen Strong

Last edited:
If you LIKE the Texans giving up the first picks in RD 4 and 5 (#101, #141) to draft Nix draft then you will LOVE the TEXANS giving up picks #51, #116 and #195 for for draft pick #43 Bednardrick McKinney and #229; AND LOVE even more the TEXANS giving up draft picks #82, #152, #229 and DeVier Posey for draft pick #70 Jaelen Strong
They were moving up for Lockett IMO. Seattle beat them to the gun, so they settled for Strong

They were moving up for Lockett IMO. Seattle beat them to the gun, so they settled for Strong

Highly doubt that's true.

Most trades are contingent upon a specific player being available .... If the Texans wanted Lockett & he was gone , the trade would not have been made.

They were obviously after Strong (who may still work out) after watching Johnson make his exit ....

Highly doubt that's true.

Most trades are contingent upon a specific player being available .... If the Texans wanted Lockett & he was gone , the trade would not have been made.

They were obviously after Strong (who may still work out) after watching Johnson make his exit ....
Lockett was taken 2 spots ahead. Trade was made prior to Seattle selecting him. 2 things I remain certain on this past draft, got outsmarted by Irsay for Dorsett than by Schneider for Lockett. I watched the deals go down certain things just stood out. Only thing I don't have is Rick openly admitting it. But if you were able to watch it again, you'd see Rick got worked twice

We honestly don't know what Rick's intentions were in moving up other than to take Strong. You can't project your own hindsight onto the GM.

We honestly don't know what Rick's intentions were in moving up other than to take Strong. You can't project your own hindsight onto the GM.
I suspect the fact that both Strong AND Lockett were still on the board made the trade happen. We might have preferred Lockett, but felt at least one of them would be there for us. Neither of these were expected to be on the board by our next pick and we needed WR talent rather than just WR bodys. I have no problem with Smith moving up to get perceived value. I just wish the impact were immediate so I wouldn't have to see everybody soiling their britches online.

That would also, seemingly, put the onus on Smith for not being able to pull these deals off. It could also point to Smith not being able to recognize what other teams consider their needs to be. It could also point to Smith not wanting to overpay for a player, which you sometimes need to do if you really want him. I'll give a push on Dorsett. I recall many "experts" being surprised that they drafted him.

When you consider that the Vikings were able to trade up and get Bridgewater ( I still believe he was going to be picked by Houston at 2.1), that's an awful lot of fail in two drafts.

That would also, seemingly, put the onus on Smith for not being able to pull these deals off. It could also point to Smith not being able to recognize what other teams consider their needs to be. It could also point to Smith not wanting to overpay for a player, which you sometimes need to do if you really want him. I'll give a push on Dorsett. I recall many "experts" being surprised that they drafted him.

When you consider that the Vikings were able to trade up and get Bridgewater ( I still believe he was going to be picked by Houston at 2.1), that's an awful lot of fail in two drafts.
If you are able to rewatch that draft, they were trading back in with NE, as soon as Dorsett was picked, trade was gone. But IIRC, Texans were publicly talking about how they really liked PD. Grigson did it to troll the Texans imo, but who knows, it's what happens when you show your hand

If you are able to rewatch that draft, they were trading back in with NE, as soon as Dorsett was picked, trade was gone. But IIRC, Texans were publicly talking about how they really liked PD. Grigson did it to troll the Texans imo, but who knows, it's what happens when you show your hand
Which is why you don't tip your hand. Just another check mark on the list of reasons to fire Rick Smith.

Bridge, dorrset, locket.

Every team seemingly knows what we want where we want it. We have a mole or a flawed method showing our cards.

That's why this whole draft a QB in the first has me nervous, Texans can be held hostage for a good ransom in order to move up
I'm less concerned about overpaying than I am about drafting the right guy. Unless Savage is truly OB's "hand-picked" QB of the future, or at least gets an honest shot at the starting job, I have no faith at all in his ability to point Smith in the right direction.

Bridge, dorrset, locket.

Every team seemingly knows what we want where we want it. We have a mole or a flawed method showing our cards.

Maybe it's as simple as a scout who talks to much after a few beers...maybe the owner needs to not make public comments about our priorities? Time to smoke out the mole with dis-information.

Maybe the whole world knew we were looking WR once AJ was gone.

Sure. And the whole world knows we need a qb now.

Better to conceal what we plan to do differently then maintain the status quo...which isnt working. I dont know how accurate this article is but i've gotta believe if he cites an example it's bad luck. 2 examples and maybe it's coincidence. 3 (i'm including bridgewater and god knows whatelse...) there's a different kinda problem.

Last edited:
Sure. And the whole world knows we need a qb now.

Better to conceal what we plan to do differently then maintain the status quo...which isnt working. I dont know how accurate this article is but i've gotta believe if he cites an example it's bad luck. 2 examples and maybe it's coincidence. 3 (i'm including bridgewater and god knows whatelse...) there's a different kinda problem.

That's not exactly breaking news either. The whole world has known this for years now.

Back