Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
We are going to have to wait and see where Derrick and his Dominos fall. Sad really....
Or maybe not... just saw this

badboy

Hall of Fame

Yeah that's been discussed a couple days..

Texansballer74

The Marine

Rumors, they doesn’t really know

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Read a little blip about the WFT’s Rivera wondering why a QB like Watson wouldn’t want to come to Washington.

As I mentioned….the WFT has a need at QB, they have the cap means to swing Watson’s contract, and they have an enviable draft position that Caserio could easily covet. Not to far out of the realm of possibilities…..not to mention, Rivera stated that winning could cure a lot of ills, or something to this effect.

I’d like to see Watson with the WFT so the Cowboys would get to face him twice a year or more.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Read a little blip about the WFT’s Rivera wondering why a QB like Watson wouldn’t want to come to Washington.

As I mentioned….the WFT has a need at QB, they have the cap means to swing Watson’s contract, and they have an enviable draft position that Caserio could easily covet. Not to far out of the realm of possibilities…..not to mention, Rivera stated that winning could cure a lot of ills, or something to this effect.

I’d like to see Watson with the WFT so the Cowboys would get to face him twice a year or more.
With his NTC...he would have to want to go. Right now it's Miami and NY, but mainly hearing Miami now

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Yep, it would ensure many division championships for the Cowboys.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The GM wanted Watson not Flores.
It has been reported that they were all interested in Watson. So who really knows? idonno:

The legal problems for Watson have more to do with why he hasn’t been moved yet. Nothing that Cal is doing.

A deal would have been done if he settled the cases prior to the trade deadline. All but 3 were done supposedly. (Edit - this has been pointed out that this was inaccurate as reported by reporters. Surprise!)

The owner wanted Watson more than anyone including the GM and HC.

The HC could have been moved to create alignment for Watson.

The HC could have been moved because the owner is a big fan of Harbaugh, and I think the owner is a Michigan alum.

Bunch of speculation at this point.
I'm not blaming Kyle for this one, but the game of chicken comment was more about would he be willing to pay $35 mill/year for an apparent Golidlocks player that can exercise a NTC at any point to block a potential trade and still be on the roster in August 2022.

Because that's the rub. Watson determines where he's going. There is nothing the Texans can do about that other than make sure Watson's porridge is juuuust right. Yeah, they can try to 'force' him to play ball, but like 2021, he can claim a back injury and stay in the training room.

I just wonder at what point will the Texans be willing to cut the guy and move on with the rebuild.

The game of chicken is happening between Derrick/Grand Jury and Buzbee/Hardin.

Depending on how his turns out Derrick will either be traded/eventually put in Jail or in the middle put on the CEL.
I think it's like 3D chicken (like 3D chess but with feathers). :chicken: lol

There are lots of stare downs right now in this situation, so who blinks first might ultimately determine the outcomes.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Because that's the rub. Watson determines where he's going. There is nothing the Texans can do about that other than make sure Watson's porridge is juuuust right. Yeah, they can try to 'force' him to play ball, but like 2021, he can claim a back injury and stay in the training room.
Seeing as he didn't play a snap last year, i don't see how he could credibly claim that without harming his own cause. I would also think too that the Texans could go to the NFL with some sort of breach of contract argument to bolster their case to recoup some of his cash if he chose to attempt to sit & not play again. Ultimately i think his situation is a case study & will have ramifications for the players as a whole down the line in the next collective bargaining agreement.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Yep. Flores was the reason why Watson was willing to wave his NTC. Now, both sides apparently are losing interest.

Watson is the Goldilocks QB and has to find his perfect team before he waives that NTC. He holds most of the cards if the Texans are not willing to cut him and lose that potential draft capital.

2022 is a game of chicken between Kyle and Deshaun. That looming $35 million is certainly a deadline for the Texans.
I've always wondered how Watson was able build a relationship with Flores to the point that Flores would be a reason for him to want to go to Miami. I always blew it off as Watson having his priorities wrong and wanting the beaches, exotic cars and lifestyle of south Florida. Listening to 790 today, they mentioned that Flores has the same agent (David Mulugheta) as..............Deshaun Watson. :kitten:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I've always wondered how Watson was able build a relationship with Flores to the point that Flores would be a reason for him to want to go to Miami. I always blew it off as Watson having his priorities wrong and wanting the beaches, exotic cars and lifestyle of south Florida. Listening to 790 today, they mentioned that Flores has the same agent (David Mulugheta) as..............Deshaun Watson. :kitten:
Yeah i heard this too which is why i don't believe Brian Flores would come here as the next HC like some have tried to put out there. I believe Muglegheta is playing a larger role than anyone knows. Sean Salisbury asked Ian Rappaport this morning if he thought that could be something that gets DW4 back in the fold to play for the Texans.....

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Seeing as he didn't play a snap last year, i don't see how he could credibly claim that without harming his own cause. I would also think too that the Texans could go to the NFL with some sort of breach of contract argument to bolster their case to recoup some of his cash if he chose to attempt to sit & not play again. Ultimately i think his situation is a case study & will have ramifications for the players as a whole down the line in the next collective bargaining agreement.
I agree with you from a logical perspective, but this situation is so bizarre that nothing will surprise me.

I think it ultimately gets resolved simply because all parties want/need it resolved before the 2022 season. Watson losing another potential season in the prime of his career has to motivate home to be a little less picky with that NTC.

I'm just providing some food for thought/discussion, but I really feel things will pick up and resolution for everyone is sooner than later. Word that Watson was willing to settle before the trade deadline gives us a little insight that something will happen.

Yep. I was wondering the same thing until I heard about the connection with the agent. Mulugheta said in an ESPN interview in December that he expects resolution soon, so I have no doubt that there's chatter behind the scenes to put this behind them as soon as the investigations are resolved.

Texansballer74

The Marine
It has been reported that they were all interested in Watson. So who really knows? idonno:

I'm not blaming Kyle for this one, but the game of chicken comment was more about would he be willing to pay $35 mill/year for an apparent Golidlocks player that can exercise a NTC at any point to block a potential trade and still be on the roster in August 2022.

I just wonder at what point will the Texans be willing to cut the guy and move on with the rebuild.

I think it's like 3D chicken (like 3D chess but with feathers). :chicken: lol

There are lots of stare downs right now in this situation, so who blinks first might ultimately determine the outcomes.
He was interested but in one of his pressers he said he wanted a player who is a team player and who has good character. Watson character is all jacked up.

djohn2oo8

All Pro
Yeah i heard this too which is why i don't believe Brian Flores would come here as the next HC like some have tried to put out there. I believe Muglegheta is playing a larger role than anyone knows. Sean Salisbury asked Ian Rappaport this morning if he thought that could be something that gets DW4 back in the fold to play for the Texans.....
That’s why the media is garbage. Watson is done playing for the Texans and it remains to be seen if he is done playing at all. That really shouldn’t even be a question anybody media or not is asking whether he wants to come back.

Number19

Hall of Fame
With his NTC...he would have to want to go. Right now it's Miami and NY, but mainly hearing Miami now
It seems one of Watson's confidants lives in NY and has really been pushing for him to come there. The way It was reported is that this person said it was a done deal, although it probably isn't. It likely is accurate that Watson is being prodded toward NY.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Just found out that I do not want Flores.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree with you from a logical perspective, but this situation is so bizarre that nothing will surprise me.

I think it ultimately gets resolved simply because all parties want/need it resolved before the 2022 season. Watson losing another potential season in the prime of his career has to motivate home to be a little less picky with that NTC.

I'm just providing some food for thought/discussion, but I really feel things will pick up and resolution for everyone is sooner than later. Word that Watson was willing to settle before the trade deadline gives us a little insight that something will happen.

Yep. I was wondering the same thing until I heard about the connection with the agent. Mulugheta said in an ESPN interview in December that he expects resolution soon, so I have no doubt that there's chatter behind the scenes to put this behind them as soon as the investigations are resolved.
It's all going to come down to the grand jury indictments. Good news is we will know where this stands in about 6 weeks.

Jack Burton

Veteran
It seems one of Watson's confidants lives in NY and has really been pushing for him to come there. The way It was reported is that this person said it was a done deal, although it probably isn't. It likely is accurate that Watson is being prodded toward NY.
I’m hearing all this Russel Wilson to NYG.
His wife wants to go, SEA desperately needs high draft picks to rebuild….
Maybe it’s all just folks throwing $@#t against the wall.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I believe that. I have Googled it and it seems like he has people in NY/NYC that are trying to get him to go that way. Watson has said Miami mostly in stuff I have read. Sounds like he would have been gone had all the women agreed to the pay off. However, only 18 would and it killed the deal. I'll see if I can find what I read and post it

Here is 1 I read. Kind of summarizes who is/was/could be looking for a deal.

Very recent.

Interesting read, just don't know if he would give up the NTC for the Seahawks. Now IF he was traded for Wilson and then shipped to NY for the right price...then maybe

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
I believe that. I have Googled it and it seems like he has people in NY/NYC that are trying to get him to go that way. Watson has said Miami mostly in stuff I have read. Sounds like he would have been gone had all the women agreed to the pay off. However, only 18 would and it killed the deal. I'll see if I can find what I read and post it...
Thanks.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I continue to think it is not about wft wanting Watson but him being willing to go there.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I agree that this could be precedent-setting. Not that it will happen but I think the Texans could do another 2021 and pay him not to show up just so they can control him not going anywhere. Stupid but I could see it possibly happening. Texans don't have to have the cap space.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think that Florida was Priority One and Flores further down the list as an acceptable head coach. Getting out of Texas and hoping the other "issue" faded in the rearview mirror probably between the two.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I just cannot see and truthfully it's a solid hope of mine that Janice McNair would not allow Deshaun to be here regardless of apologies or attempts to reconcile on his part. This is not a Andre Johnson situation.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I definitely can see that and it does fit my desire to see him to go to the New York Jets. I continue to see many reports and rumors and all mention the civil claimants but almost none mention the criminal claimants. I want to see that played out. In my opinion it could go either way however the mention earlier of the two or three minor females involved is a whole nother thing. Consensual is a word that does not impact in that situation.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I believe that. I have Googled it and it seems like he has people in NY/NYC that are trying to get him to go that way. Watson has said Miami mostly in stuff I have read. Sounds like he would have been gone had all the women agreed to the pay off. However, only 18 would and it killed the deal. I'll see if I can find what I read and post it

Here is 1 I read. Kind of summarizes who is/was/could be looking for a deal.

Very recent.

Interesting read, just don't know if he would give up the NTC for the Seahawks. Now IF he was traded for Wilson and then shipped to NY for the right price...then maybe

Watson to Seattle who trades him to NYG for picks and Wilson is a Texans player..
I have ask why would Wilson come here?

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Anyone know what has to happen for Watson to violate his conduct portion of his contract? I mean I'm 95% sure it has a conduct portion. And if violated, the team can make him do things. Such as waive his NTC. I know by now he has to have violated his conduct portion at least some. Say 50%, which should free up the team to have input on the situation.

If anyone actually knows what has to happen to violate the conduct portion...aka free the team to make more calls and/or take control of the trade situation

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I just cannot see and truthfully it's a solid hope of mine that Janice McNair would not allow Deshaun to be here regardless of apologies or attempts to reconcile on his part. This is not a Andre Johnson situation.
What if he says he's full of sorrow and asks for forgiveness? You just know Jack would be all over that. (p.s. it's not going to happen, though, simply because of Waton's ego lol)

Anyone know what has to happen for Watson to violate his conduct portion of his contract? I mean I'm 95% sure it has a conduct portion. And if violated, the team can make him do things. Such as waive his NTC. I know by now he has to have violated his conduct portion at least some. Say 50%, which should free up the team to have input on the situation.

If anyone actually knows what has to happen to violate the conduct portion...aka free the team to make more calls and/or take control of the trade situation
From what I've read, the only way to void the NTC is to cancel the contract. If the Texans want the draft capital for a trade, they have to work with Watson to make it happen.

From what I understand about the CBA, teams cannot selectively void parts of contracts unless explicitly stated in the contract. And the Texans gave Watson everything he wanted in 2020 for that deal, obviously oblivious to what he was doing off the field.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG

Honestly if Cal had any 🏀 he would take Watson’s contract to a judge. He has violated code of conduct I'm sure. Watson would say that the team was in breach of contract for taking it to court. But, any judge worth anything would tell him 1 accusing person maybe...20+ son you are the one in the wrong. And if Cal says he will pay Watson for the season (35mil) out of his pocket in exchange for the NTC to be removed...a judge might very well grant that. Sure he will pay a big chunk of money. However, he then could tell Nick to get the best offer and get him gone.

In a perfect world it would work. Not sure if the NFLPA would be willing to settle it. I know many former veterans have said that they didn't have more than 2 or so massage therapists in 10yrs +. Which could be a very good thing for the Texans. However, we all know Cal will not be trying anything remotely like this

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
Honestly if Cal had any 🏀 he would take Watson’s contract to a judge. He has violated code of conduct I'm sure. Watson would say that the team was in breach of contract for taking it to court. But, any judge worth anything would tell him 1 accusing person maybe...20+ son you are the one in the wrong. And if Cal says he will pay Watson for the season (35mil) out of his pocket in exchange for the NTC to be removed...a judge might very well grant that. Sure he will pay a big chunk of money. However, he then could tell Nick to get the best offer and get him gone.

In a perfect world it would work. Not sure if the NFLPA would be willing to settle it. I know many former veterans have said that they didn't have more than 2 or so massage therapists in 10yrs +. Which could be a very good thing for the Texans. However, we all know Cal will not be trying anything remotely like this
Pretty sure that would still count against the cap.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That's not new news. The Texans want no more part of Mulugheta's strong-armed dealings..............translated: no more of Watson or Flores.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Pretty sure that would still count against the cap.
Only for next yr. After that the team Derrick's traded to has to pay the rest of his contract and that will count against their cap.

This is the price Cal will have to pay for getting into bed with a Sexual Predator.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Does this thread have to be deleted/moved, too? Keep it about the Watson trades people.

Reactions: JB
Really interesting. It’s an awfully high price for any franchise to pay so I think this puts Carolina in the lead. Their coach is on the hot seat but has some pieces around them to make it work. The Broncos, Giants both are going to have new coaches so I can see them building more methodically.

Texian

Hall of Fame

Of course we know Ross was interested. Why now are they trying to deny it?
Don't know if we will ever know but it appears to be fairly clear that Flores was biting the hand that fed him. I would say Ross was all in on DW4 until the Dolphins won 7 in a row and Tua looked like a winner and turned the clubhouse around. So now Ross is saying he is a Tua guy (and was all along).

Status
Not open for further replies.