Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Cap first: true IF a pre June 1 trade in 2022, even more if post June 1st 2022.

I do think it was beautiful for Texans to refuse to take calls initially as that should pique interest. Did he take it too far? I don't think so as the allegations interfered with the overall negotiation and became the Prime Focus as it should have. I also agree that Texans should get a huge package. What that may be of course is not clear at this time. For example Eagles trading 3 top 10 picks in 2022 is a whole lot more acceptable to me than three first rounds from Miami spread over the next two drafts.

I am not so interested in name-calling.
Instead of 3 1st in 2022 I'd prefer to spread picks over 2 or 3 years. If they did get 3 2022 1st rd picks, parlay those for more picks in later years. Much more friendly and salary cap manageable.

Take your medicine and take out all of the trash in 2022. Why compromise future salary cap? Irresponsible to do so. Not the smart thing to do.

Always, always, always take the phone call. Always. It does no harm to do so. You learn more and become better informed when you do.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Instead of 3 1st in 2022 I'd prefer to spread picks over 2 or 3 years. If they did get 3 2022 1st rd picks, parlay those for more picks in later years. Much more friendly and salary cap manageable.

Take your medicine and take out all of the trash in 2022. Why compromise future salary cap? Irresponsible to do so. Not the smart thing to do.

Always, always, always take the phone call. Always. It does no harm to do so. You learn more and become better informed when you do.
The strength of 2022 draft leads me to want three top ten picks then rather than increase risk of future and we will probably see those future picks drop. I do feel NYG two firsts more likely than three from Eagles.

Cap? 2022 has $40 million now ... subtract DW $35 base and that's 75 without any other moves. What free agents are you thinking we can get? I agree to continue to clear out certain guys but cap not our issue and I understand you disagree.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We can't rule out that possibility.

And if that happens, here's to hoping for a miracle and Jeff Bezos buys the team. lol

Seriously, though, I'm getting ready for the possibility that the Texans end up empty-handed in the end. And then we are watching a 10+ year "rebuild" with the McNairs in charge. Your 'lost decade'.
Prepare for the worst

Hope.
Not getting anything for Watson is definitely a worst-case scenario, but I don't think it falls on Caserio. At that point, we can only judge him by what he has done thus far...which is not impressive. The 2022 draft may change that, but his body of work right now only looks less dismal because he was preceded by BOB.

Maybe we should pass the HWSNBN moniker on to BOB and make peace with the current HWSNBN.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Depends on what you're expectations were. I was hoping Caserio could find 5-6 solid players in this yrs draft and fA. I think they've found solid players with KGH/Collins/Collins/Lopez/Jordan/Taylor I also like Thomas quite bit. This goes along with Greenard and Blacklock. These guys are solid players. Mix talented star level players with these guys and the team will look alot better.

Say out of this draft Caserio was able to draft 2 star level players like Stingley/Hutchinson in a trade for Derrick and their own pick. Then draft a guy like the LB Smith from Penis St. You dont think this team would look better? Put Hamilton in place of Hutchinson and you would have a really good young secondary for the next decade.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

If you got Philly's three 1st's you could always trade 2-3 of the 1sts for lower rd picks in this draft plus future 1st rd picks in 2023.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
I always thought the 3 1sts an 2 2nds trade scenario was the discounted price in effect if the other party was willing to take on a part of the remaining risk with DW. Once the cases are settled, that risk goes down and price goes up. Once (if) the criminal stuff goes away, that removes all risk, and the price is back to what was expected before the legal stuff. Makes perfect sense to me.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I always thought the 3 1sts an 2 2nds trade scenario was the discounted price in effect if the other party was willing to take on a part of the remaining risk with DW. Once the cases are settled, that risk goes down and price goes up. Once (if) the criminal stuff goes away, that removes all risk, and the price is back to what was expected before the legal stuff. Makes perfect sense to me.
Hope you're right.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
From the Texans' perspective, they hope the price is back to what was expected. However, if your scenario plays out, but when it gets closer to the start of the new league year and Watson's $35 million salary cap hit. Will teams reduce the price because they don't think the Texans will want to pay Watson $35 million to not play? Who will blink first?

From the Texans' perspective, they hope the price is back to what was expected. However, if your scenario plays out, but when it gets closer to the start of the new league year and Watson's $35 million salary cap hit. Will teams reduce the price because they don't think the Texans will want to pay Watson $35 million to not play? Who will blink first?
If the Dolphins were serious about offering 3 1sts and 2 2nds, they should have just sought permission from the Texans to talk to Derrick's reps in early October and asked his reps to negotiate a settlement by any means and they would pull the trigger on a trade. It would have allowed more time for a settlement. Getting a trade done this season would have possibly made his upcoming salary hit easier to plan for by the Texans. Whomever acquires him doesn't necessarily have to worry about his upcoming annual salary because they can negotiate that in their favor to bonuses etc to make it work for their cap. Derrick shouldn't mind because he will already have received a signing bonus from the Texans. If a team converts more money to a bonus, it will put more $$$ into his pock immediately while lessening the burden on their annual cap by spreading the bonus out over years.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If the Dolphins were serious about offering 3 1sts and 2 2nds, they should have just sought permission from the Texans to talk to Derrick's reps in early October and asked his reps to negotiate a settlement by any means and they would pull the trigger on a trade.
If the Texans were serious about trading Watson, they would have given blanket permission to every team in the league to talk with his agent. Let everyone that wants to make him a deal. Maybe he changes his mind about where he wants to go? Plus, it creates a market for the Watson that may not exist. The Texans have been too passive thus far, and it's a strategy will end up costing them.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I wanted to revisit this post, because now there are more complications to deal Watson. We have Watson's no trade clause. The desired compensation from the Texans side. The law suits. The possible criminal cases (both local and federal). Finding an organization willing to deal with the backlash a Watson trade could bring.

Now, we add Watson's enormous contract in 2022 ($35 million) a team will have to absorb. Then there's the shrinking QB market, with Aaron Rodgers and possibly Russell Wilson added to the mix. If it was too difficult to deal Watson at the trade deadline, the complexity will only increase in the offseason.
Watson didn't want a handler in Miami which Ross did. Could he a sticking point in the future. Seeing Watson said he would settle the cases if he was moved.

If the Texans were serious about trading Watson, they would have given blanket permission to every team in the league to talk with his agent. Let everyone that wants to make him a deal. Maybe he changes his mind about where he wants to go? Plus, it creates a market for the Watson that may not exist. The Texans have been too passive thus far, and it's a strategy will end up costing them.
While that may be true, I don't think he would have changed his mind on where he wanted to go. He has been firm on that and I think that limits what teams would start reaching out.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
While that may be true, I don't think he would have changed his mind on where he wanted to go. He has been firm on that and I think that limits what teams would start reaching out.
Watson's no trade clause has limited the options. That's why the Texans shouldn't put further restrictions by not granting permission to talk to Watson. Let everyone talk to Watson and put the onus on Watson. That's the best way to get movement.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm going to give them a break, because teams aren't wanting to trade for Derrick until his legal situation is cleared up.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Here we go again

What if Caserio gets nothing for Derrick?

How will posters feel about Caserio then?
For me, nothing Watson related is on Caserio, if he gets a blockbuster trade I will praise him, if he gets nothing, I think the hierarchy should have done their due diligence before signing him, it seems like the Texans, could have and should have known at least that something wasn’t right with Watson.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Hard to imagine that Game Boy and Janice would not demand the File Clerk to pull the trigger if this Tweet is true. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Tua as part of the deal. Tua passes the The Preacher Man's smell test with flying colors.
Reports are that the McNairs wanted the deal done but Caserio convinced them to wait.

What will be amusing is if things take a turn for the worse and Caserio gets less than this deal in the spring. Speculating for fun: Then Cal will be looking at Nick sideways, because he could reason that he had a better instinct than Nick had. And Jack will sense this disturbance in the force and will have to make the difficult decision to undermine Nick so none of it blows back on him. This ain't his first rodeo. lol

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Reports are that the McNairs wanted the deal done but Caserio convinced them to wait.

What will be amusing is if things take a turn for the worse and Caserio gets less than this deal in the spring. Speculating for fun: Then Cal will be looking at Nick sideways, because he could reason that he had a better instinct than Nick had. And Jack will sense this disturbance in the force and will have to make the difficult decision to undermine Nick so none of it blows back on him. This ain't his first rodeo. lol
If it’s true that it was 3 firsts and 2 seconds, that is a huge trade deal, whether he has legal issues or not.

I worry that they are playing chicken with Watson waiving the no trade clause, which the McNair’s were silly enough to sign, it isn’t exactly an open bidding war.

I’d have taken it, hell, as a GM, surely you have go back yourself to put a great team together with that number of draft picks. If you work to trade back to future years, it could be an indefinite source of riches. Isn’t a 1 this year worth a 2 this year and a 1 next year? That sounds like good team building to me. Easier said than done of course.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
There's no truth to this at all.

Everyone wants to be rid of the problem but everyone also knows that its impossible at this time. There was no trigger to pull here.

There were only preliminary discussions , never was compensation agreed upon and that was very early in the process.

There was never a demand for a handler , that was some knucklehead in the media throwing an idea at the wall , lots of other people ran with it.

There was discussion between the Dolphins and Watson's agent but everything breaks down on the criminal charges that are pending.

Nothing will happen here until the criminal investigation is wrapped up one way or another - either they announce charges or that the case is closed with no charges.

So much misinformation in this thread .... from what is supposed to be "trusted media sources".

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Everyone wants to be rid of the problem but everyone also knows that its impossible at this time. There was no trigger to pull here.

There were only preliminary discussions , never was compensation agreed upon and that was very early in the process.

There was never a demand for a handler , that was some knucklehead in the media throwing an idea at the wall , lots of other people ran with it.

There was discussion between the Dolphins and Watson's agent but everything breaks down on the criminal charges that are pending.

Nothing will happen here until the criminal investigation is wrapped up one way or another - either they announce charges or that the case is closed with no charges.

So much misinformation in this thread .... from what is supposed to be "trusted media sources".
Yeah, I pretty much figured that everything we are hearing is just click bait at this point. You've been consistent the entire time and events are lining up just as you predicted they would.

Just looking at it pragmatically, Watson needs to deal with the various legal issues before anyone can really get serious about taking on his public relations problems. Because at the end of the day, whatever franchise gets him will need to go into overdrive to spin it and sell it to their fan base, and that's an impossible task with his current legal issues.

Unfortunately, as entertainment goes, the off-field stuff is the ONLY aspect of this entire franchise that's even remotely entertaining, and I figure that's what's driving a lot of the click-bait stories.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Just looking at it pragmatically, Watson needs to deal with the various legal issues before anyone can really get serious about taking on his public relations problems. Because at the end of the day, whatever franchise gets him will need to go into overdrive to spin it and sell it to their fan base, and that's an impossible task with his current legal issues.
So as of right now it is Watson holding up the trade not the Texans or Caserio. If Watson settles his lawsuits and his criminal investigations a trade can be done.

The lawsuits should be easy. Write a check.

How does one settle criminal investigations?

djohn2oo8

All Pro
So as of right now it is Watson holding up the trade not the Texans or Caserio. If Watson settles his lawsuits and his criminal investigations a trade can be done.

The lawsuits should be easy. Write a check.

How does one settle criminal investigations?
Settle criminal cases? The Grand Jury would have to decide there’s not enough evidence to indict. Which, if they ever actually bring this to a GJ, it is very easy to secure an indictment. The DA could decide not to bring it to a GJ. On top of that, the FBI would also need to determine nothing illegal happened which I don’t think they will come to that conclusion with the internet and state lines stuff. Watson needs those things to go his way. They might. They might not. DA’s office is very political though.

djohn2oo8

All Pro
Also, I don’t know this to be the case or not. BUT, I would not be surprised if the DA’s office was sharing information with the FBI/US Southern District Attorney’s office regarding Watson.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Settle criminal cases? The Grand Jury would have to decide there’s not enough evidence to indict. Which, if they ever actually bring this to a GJ, it is very easy to secure an indictment. The DA could decide not to bring it to a GJ. On top of that, the FBI would also need to determine nothing illegal happened which I don’t think they will come to that conclusion with the internet and state lines stuff. Watson needs those things to go his way. They might. They might not. DA’s office is very political though.
1636748713646.png

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And there's the rub. Why would any organization want to mortgage the future for a player with so many criminal investigations hanging over his head?
Because this is the NFL & it happens. I can see the $35M to be paid while suspended could be an issue.

But if the team doesn't have to pay while on the CEL or suspended it may not be that big a deal.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Wow

I don't think TexansBull's comment was... There is no excuse for Watson but there is also no reason to take every comment in the forum over the top

Put me on ignore so you don't feel the need to reply
For the record I do know that you can’t “settle” criminal cases…and yeah - it was meant to be taken serious and I figured we all knew that.

So yeah.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
In my experience, folks with criminal charges regularly call taking plea deals "settling out of court." It's perpetuated by defense attorneys because a guilty verdict sounds worse then settling (ie taking a deal.)

No, they're not the same ,but I understand any confusion based on the nomenclature. It's fairly common.

Anything crossing state borders will get federal attention. Try mixing Texas law with Louisiana. It's a cluster fluck. We don't use old French law or the words larceny or battery. All our punishments are different in our respective penal codes.

I believe after this much time, da's have nothing. If they had anything concrete, charges would be pending. For trade purposes that helps the Texans.

I'd love to see the Texans start dw and force the nfl to cel him. Other then that, I don't see a flaw in how Caserio has handled this.

Jmo ofcourse.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
In my experience, folks with criminal charges regularly call taking plea deals "settling out of court." It's perpetuated by defense attorneys because a guilty verdict sounds worse then settling (ie taking a deal.)

No, they're not the same ,but I understand any confusion based on the nomenclature. It's fairly common.

Anything crossing state borders will get federal attention. Try mixing Texas law with Louisiana. It's a cluster fluck. We don't use old French law or the words larceny or battery. All our punishments are different in our respective penal codes.

I believe after this much time, da's have nothing. If they had anything concrete, charges would be pending. For trade purposes that helps the Texans.

I'd love to see the Texans start dw and force the nfl to cel him. Other then that, I don't see a flaw in how Caserio has handled this.

Jmo ofcourse.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Casserio and the McNairs were never at odds as to how to handle Watson.

Watson also never wanted to give the final OK to pull the trigger on settlement, because he believes he did nothing wrong and did not want the appearance of guilt. If he continues to play that stupid game, the criminal aspect may not be the only factor that prolongs the agony.

powda

Casserio and the McNairs were never at odds as to how to handle Watson.

Watson also never wanted to give the final OK to pull the trigger on settlement, because he believes he did nothing wrong and did not want the appearance of guilt. If he continues to play that stupid game, the criminal aspect may not be the only factor that prolongs the agony.

All due respect Doc, seems like a lot of guesswork here. Do you have links to support that?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
All due respect Doc, seems like a lot of guesswork here. Do you have links to support that?
CND is right more often than wrong, and when he's wrong there's an explanation. Which doesn't mean he's always right. Right now, without any actual proof that any of us can see, we're all "just saying stuff". Who's right in here and who's wrong hasn't been decided yet.

Or, if it has, it hasn't been leaked yet. LOL

Earl34

Hall of Fame
If this is true. Why are the Texans making it so easy for him to hold them hostage to the stupid NTC? Why make it so easy for him to dictate and hold the franchise hostage while he gets his wish to play in Miami? Make him take the field, play or repay the signing bonus. I don't get their passive stance or this media gamesmanship. Hit him where it hurts. His pocketbook.

powda

If this is true. Why are the Texans making it so easy for him to hold them hostage to the stupid NTC? Why make it so easy for him to dictate and hold the franchise hostage while he gets his wish to play in Miami? Make him take the field, play or repay the signing bonus. I don't get their passive stance or this media gamesmanship. Hit him where it hurts. His pocketbook.

As I said upthread, I want the Texans to start him this season.

As I understand it, if they cel him it would help our cap and improve our trade position in the future. The Texans have been pansies on the topic so far.

Push the envelope. Force the nfl's hand.

I personally think this is a Cal decision. I could be wrong.

Wtf do we have to lose? This is already a lost season. Let him serve his time and increase his trade value going into next season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If this is true. Why are the Texans making it so easy for him to hold them hostage to the stupid NTC? Why make it so easy for him to dictate and hold the franchise hostage while he gets his wish to play in Miami?
How exactly are they making it easy for him?

Only way I could come to that conclusion is if I believe all the clickbait that there was a deal in principle.

But there’s no way to prove Miami made the offer, I don’t think they have three 2023 first round picks. & there’s no real evidence Caserio agreed to anything.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
How exactly are they making it easy for him?

Only way I could come to that conclusion is if I believe all the clickbait that there was a deal in principle.

But there’s no way to prove Miami made the offer, I don’t think they have three 2023 first round picks. & there’s no real evidence Caserio agreed to anything.
Again. If the reporting is true and his stance is "Miami or pay me to not play" and he is not even willing to consider a trade to other teams, then it's making it too easy for him to sit at home, collect his check and get his wish. They have been too accommodating and need to make him uncomfortable.

If he fakes an injury, make treatment mandatory and hire a former, roided-up, Russian female body builder to massage him. All kidding aside. When does this border on breach of contract?

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Funny what you can come up with on social media.

I don't get the point of this post. That looks like a tweet from Watson's marketing agent. Shoot, you can find social media postings of Watson in places from New York to Israel. After these allegations, that post is as significant as the Watson getting baptized in Israel:

America's Voices in Israel - WATCH: NFL QUARTERBACK DESHAUN WATSON GETS BAPTIZED IN ISRAEL | Facebook

djohn2oo8

All Pro
He CANNOT see the field PERIOD. Not this year. Caserio already has his side showing signs that they were ready to settle. Nick probably won’t do this, but he could always go report their collusion and tampering to the league office. Hell, if another team knew about it they could too. You hold on to him and see if he settles and reassess before the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.