Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong, If you do a great job and hit on those picks with real difference makers and add 2-3 quality FA's a yr you will be fine. In fact if you find your QB you will be better than fine. You've just gotta do the work and find the guys and get a bit lucky with Injuries. Imagine being able to bring in 3 star level players and 3 aboe avg starters a yr.

Look at the Texans defense as an example. You've got keepers in Greenard/Reid/KGH/Taylor. IMHO Then imagine adding 4 starters in the draft including 2 premium level players in the draft in rds 1/2 (Thibodeaux/Kendrick as an example.) Then by using the Saints pick and a 4th. 4-1 to move up to the middle of the 2nd for a CB like Emerson. Then at 3-1 draft the best S possible. In FA you go out and sign a couple of FA LB's like Kirksey/and another KGH.

By doing this you would have a young cheap defense. Another bonus from doing this is I wont have to watch LJo's dumbazz every Sunday blowing assignments and missing tackles.

Greenard/Blacklock/Taylor/Thibodeaux.

KGH/Kirksey/FA

Emerson/Reid/Drafted S (Say Lewis Cine from Georgia)/ Kendrick.

You dont think that would be a young fast defense that would have a chance to grow together and be a huge upgrade over what they're currently putting out there Sunday and you can do this on the cheap. (Which should appeal to you since you're a economics/cap guy, I am too but we just have different time frames on when the cap space will really matter)

This or some form of this could be done this offseason. Maybe not the exact players but players of this quality can be found in this draft in the 1st three rds, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Caserio just needs to do the work.

Plus you will still have those 6th rd picks that seem to be gold to you. So this is a win-win.

Then get to work rebuilding the offense in the 2023 draft/offseason.

This ain't brain surgery and can be done. Just gotta put in the work.
Well then it looks like you will be in a good position for a chance to draft Arch Manning in 2026.

Well then it looks like you will be in a good position for a chance to draft Arch Manning in 2026.

Do you not like a good cheap extremely fast athletic defense?

Like I said this is more than a 1 yr rebuild. Work on the offense in 2023 when the strength of that draft is on the offensive side of the ball.

Whatever Caserio does I hope he drafts talent 1st and foremost instead of reaching for need. Why? Because this team has needs all over the place.

BTW, You can still fill out your roster after what I've proposed with the 6th's/7th's and UDFA's and still have 10 guys on their rookie deals. Will the team suck next yr? Yes, Will they be better off for sucking? Yes IMHO

How would you rebuild the team? Do you not want to add as much premium talent as possible, or do you not trust your drafting acumen enough that you want quantity of picks over quality of picks?

I trust my evals and hope Caserio trusts his as well.

Do you not like a good cheap extremely fast athletic defense?

Like I said this is more than a 1 yr rebuild. Work on the offense in 2023 when the strength of that draft is on the offensive side of the ball.

Whatever Caserio does I hope he drafts talent 1st and foremost instead of reaching for need. Why? Because this team has needs all over the place.

BTW, You can still fill out your roster after what I've proposed with the 6th's/7th's and UDFA's and still have 10 guys on their rookie deals. Will the team suck next yr? Yes, Will they be better off for sucking? Yes IMHO

How would you rebuild the team? Do you not want to add as much premium talent as possible, or do you not trust your drafting acumen enough that you want quantity of picks over quality of picks?

I trust my evals and hope Caserio trusts his as well.
One day you will wake up and like Bobby Ewing you will be standing in the shower realizing this was all a bad dream. Until then you've cast your lot with Game Boy, The Preacher Man, The File Clerk and the Ghost of Bill O'Brien. Good Luck with that.

Last edited:

Oh ye of little faith……the media will fatten up plenty of flash CFB QB’s between now and 2026. The Manning name could guarantee plenty of “flash” even if there’s no substance to back it……the media will always love a good story or the name to help hype the narrative.

One day you will wake up and like Bobby Ewing you will be standing in the shower realizing this was all a bad dream. Until then you've cast your lot with Game Boy, The Preacher Man, The File Clerk and the Ghost of Bill O'Brien. Good Luck with that.

What kind of response is this?

I'm telling you what I would do and what can be done.

You on the otherhand go off on a tangent.

I haven't cast my lot with anybody other than Jesus Christ. Certainly I wouldn't cast my lot with a McNair owned team. As a fan I can hope for the best, why? because hope is much better than hopelessness. I choose to be positive until I have a reason not to be. Right now I'm nuetral on Caserio because the rebuild hasn't even really begun. I'm going to give Caserio a couple of yrs before I start to pass judgement. Right now I've got no idea of how the rebuild is going to go. Neither do you and as of this moment we're just speculating. Actually you're just speculating.

Last edited:
What kind of response is this?

I'm telling you what I would do and what can be done.

You on the otherhand go off on a tangent.

I haven't cast my lot with anybody other than Jesus Christ. Certainly I wouldn't cast my lot with a McNair owned team. As a fan I can hope for the best, why? because hope is much better than hopelessness. I choose to be positive until I have a reason not to be. Right now I'm nuetral on Caserio because the rebuild hasn't een really begun. I'm going to gie Caserio a couple of yrs before I start to pass judgement. Right now I've got no idea of how the rebuild is going to go. Neither do you and as of this moment we're just speculating. Actually you're just speculating.

Good post.

I've got a bad feeling that this situation is going to get dragged beyond the 2022 draft and there is a real potential that none of it is resolved until well after that draft.

Which would mean the 2022 season is another wash and the Texans have to wait yet another year to even think about beginning a 'rebuild' with extra draft capital.

I really hate that Watson gets to pick his destination after all the crap he's pulled. It really limits the moves that the Texans can make to trade him.

:howdy:

I think that's a highly likely outcome.

I dont want this,

He contributes a different vision to this MB.

Differing opinions are a good thing.

Look at my opinion of Derrick and all of the crap I caught before the light started shining bright on what kind of person he really is.

The question mark at the end of the sentence means it’s a question to the previous statement. Not a statement.

People have been very sensitive here of late.

I've got a bad feeling that this situation is going to get dragged beyond the 2022 draft and there is a real potential that none of it is resolved until well after that draft.

Which would mean the 2022 season is another wash and the Texans have to wait yet another year to even think about beginning a 'rebuild' with extra draft capital.

I really hate that Watson gets to pick his destination after all the crap he's pulled. It really limits the moves that the Texans can make to trade him.
I have recently come to believe the same. I concur.

giphy.gif
Please show me where I have ever advocated for you or anyone else to be banned.

So let me get this straight: you ask him a direct question, which he provides a well thought out, detailed, and respectful reply.

And this is your reply? SERIOUSLY???? :mcnugget:

Here's a suggestion: don't ask a question if you really don't want a reply, and, please keep the homoerotic metaphors safely in your noggin. Thanks. :howdy:
This is exactly why I feel SteelB is correct and Caserio is anticipating another wash of a year before a more "traditional" rebuild.

If someone bites early...great.

If Watson gets suspended or CEL after the draft, it's not on the cap.

If he goes to jail, then we probably weren't going to get much in draft capital anyway with the "protections" the trading teams want. Null his contract, and go after the teams money.

The worst case is if we have to carry him next year. Hopefully there is some clarity by training camp.

Anyone know if we get to roll cap savings retroactively if we end up voiding his contract?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I think that's a highly likely outcome.

The more I think about it, I hope the Texans offer him two choices: take the deal with whatever team give us the best offer, or, be ready to suite up an play as a Houston Texan in 2022.

And if Watson wants to play his little "I'm hurt" game, then it's his career that's going down the toilet.

Of course, it's easy for me to say because it's not my $35 million, but then again, I also didn't give him an everything-is-awesome deal that backed me into a powerless corner.

I'd call his bluff and use my billionaire bank account to back me up if I was Cal.

The more I think about it, I hope the Texans offer him two choices: take the deal with make with whatever team give us the best offer, or, be ready to suite up an play as a Houston Texan in 2022.

And if Watson wants to play his little "I'm hurt" game, then it's his career that's going down the toilet.

Of course, it's easy for me to say because it's not my $35 million, but then again, I also didn't give him an everything-is-awesome deal that backed me into a powerless corner.

I'd call his bluff and use my billionaire bank account to back me up if I was Cal.
The one thing that could turn this into a giant soup sandwich is the Game Boy (and most likely Janice) want DW4 GONE yesterday. Good deal be damned get that SOB out of here. Game Boy is quoted as saying he wanted Watson gone before the trade deadline. On the other hand the further this goes it may provide the incentive to for DW4 to settle and the further it goes it may cause DW4 to be less demanding about his NTC. Once they get into depositions and trials that may be enough for the NFL to pull the CEL trigger. I agree with the hardball approach, you will take the deal we make or get splinters in your butt.

How old are you? If you want me banned so bad just put me on ignore.

Lol. You are thinking too much of yourself to think I want you banned. As usual, your interpretations and assumptions are way off the mark.

But like I said, people have been mighty sensitive around here.

Just to be clear , IF he's on the CEL the Texans do not pay him , the league does , there's no cap hit and he doesn't take up a roster spot.
I have been researching this everywhere and cannot find anything saying the league will pay him if on CEL. All say he no longer counts on 53 and his cap is no longer counted. Can you or anyone provide link to CBA saying NFL pays his salary?. I really hope this was true.

The Texans have already shot themselves in both feet, both hands, and in some cases, their heads. There's not much left to shoot.
In a silver lining kind of way at least they are able to hit what they aim at. Hopefully we can find a QB that can do the same.

I have been researching this everywhere and cannot find anything saying the league will pay him if on CEL. All say he no longer counts on 53 and his cap is no longer counted. Can you or anyone provide link to CBA saying NFL pays his salary?. I really hope this was true.

The details were posted in this or the other DW4 thread a few months ago. Feel free to search those.

The one thing that could turn this into a giant soup sandwich is the Game Boy (and most likely Janice) want DW4 GONE yesterday. Good deal be damned get that SOB out of here. Game Boy is quoted as saying he wanted Watson gone before the trade deadline. On the other hand the further this goes it may provide the incentive to for DW4 to settle and the further it goes it may cause DW4 to be less demanding about his NTC. Once they get into depositions and trials that may be enough for the NFL to pull the CEL trigger. I agree with the hardball approach, you will take the deal we make or get splinters in your butt.
I have a feeling Derrick will be traded before the 35 mil hits the bank. Or he will be put on CEL.

This or Cal didn't learn much from his dad.

I have a feeling Derrick will be traded before the 35 mil hits the bank. Or he will be put on CEL.

This or Cal didn't learn much from his dad.
Odds may be in your favor, the first 1/17 of the $35MM doesn't hit his bank account until game 1 of the 2022 (first full week of Sept.) . My guess is if he is put on the CEL list it will be before then. My other guess is Game Boy will want him gone long before then. Unless the legal proceedings say different. My last guess is enough time will have passed where all plaintiffs and lawyers will want to get paid.

My first thought is Game Boy DID NOT learn anything but on second thought Game Boy is showing the propensity to make the same bonehead Texans decisions as his Daddy did.

Last edited:
The details were posted in this or the other DW4 thread a few months ago. Feel free to search those.
I have and did not find anything other than poster saying NFL paid. That's why I asked. Interesting that you do not know so you told me to search...

This is true, there was never a deal in place as some reported and Caserio was never going to trade him before the trade deadline.

[Information I have just received from a very reliable inside source]

But... Caserio set out to get some things in this trade deadline dance, and he got them.

1) Through some... negotiating ploys, we'll call them, Caserio flushed out Stephen Ross to join in with the rest of his top FO guys in tampering with Watson. Ross told Watson he would pay for all of his settlements out of his own pocket if he'd get them done. And Watson/Hardin tried to get them done, and done with very strong NDAs. Watson/Hardin/Mulugheta had been saying for months, "No settlements, no NDAs of any kind." All BS. Caserio just tricked Watson into admitting he will settle the cases with NDAs, which increase his trade value.

2) Miami has been colluding with Watson & his people for many months, everybody knows it and that is tampering. But instead of reporting it to the league office, which is not his style, Nick let Grier and Flores and finally Ross tamper themselves into a PR nightmare. Chris Grier's post trade deadline presser was a disaster, he looked like a fool and he lied and lied and even lost his composure a little bit. Caserio got his pound of flesh without killing a future deal, and the next time Miami comes for Watson all the backchannel shenanigans trying to reduce the compensation will have no merit. Watson, by way of Ross, was ready to settle with NDAs. So pay up or another team will.
To the part one, I thought I read from Ian Rappaport that the Dolphins received permission near the trade deadline to engage with Watson. It didn't say who granted the permission but truly Ross couldn't be that dumb to get directly involved as an owner and not be aware of tampering.

To part two, I don't think tampering applies to media statements via unnamed sources. All the obvious has been from reporters and not direct quotes from the Dolphins up until the trade deadline was near. But if my reply to part one is true then Grier's responses may make him look silly but I don't think it's tampering.

Don't get me wrong if it shakes out like you have stated, I'm all for the Texans finally getting the upper hand in something. I replied here vs in the sexual assault thread for relevancy.

To the part one, I thought I read from Ian Rappaport that the Dolphins received permission near the trade deadline to engage with Watson. It didn't say who granted the permission but truly Ross couldn't be that dumb to get directly involved as an owner and not be aware of tampering.

To part two, I don't think tampering applies to media statements via unnamed sources. All the obvious has been from reporters and not direct quotes from the Dolphins up until the trade deadline was near. But if my reply to part one is true then Grier's responses may make him look silly but I don't think it's tampering.

Don't get me wrong if it shakes out like you have stated, I'm all for the Texans finally getting the upper hand in something. I replied here vs in the sexual assault thread for relevancy.
See my followup comments in the Watson Sexual Assault Suits thread.

This is actually a true story. And the reason why Miami pulled out (probably a bad phrase in a Watson thread) of the deal was Watson could not get with Ross. Both Ross, which Watson wants to go to Miami and Carolina wanted sit down talks with Watson. Also, it is starting to look like Watson is not as crazy about winning as he is life style. I have been hearing that from multiple people and it fits seeing rumor had it Ross wanted Watson to have a "handler".

https://www.nfl.com/news/multiple-t...luding-three-first-round-picks-for-deshaun-wa

Don't get me wronhig if it shakes out like you have stated, I'm all for the Texans finally getting the upper hand in something. I replied here vs in the sexual assault thread for relevancy.
All the major tampering/collusion I was referencing was happening going back months and months ago............well before the date the Texans gave the Dolphins last minute permission to make any communications with Watson and his team.

But, that doesn't mean there is universal agreement in the organization that Watson is the answer. And it's all non-football reasons. First, the GM has to to think it's the right thing to do. Then he has to sell it to ownership. Then to the coaching staff. There are so many impediments to dealing Watson, besides just the obvious stuff like future suspensions and trade compensation. When Watson is finally traded, it will be one of the toughest negotiations ever.
I wanted to revisit this post, because now there are more complications to deal Watson. We have Watson's no trade clause. The desired compensation from the Texans side. The law suits. The possible criminal cases (both local and federal). Finding an organization willing to deal with the backlash a Watson trade could bring.

Now, we add Watson's enormous contract in 2022 ($35 million) a team will have to absorb. Then there's the shrinking QB market, with Aaron Rodgers and possibly Russell Wilson added to the mix. If it was too difficult to deal Watson at the trade deadline, the complexity will only increase in the offseason.

I wanted to revisit this post, because now there are more complications to deal Watson. We have Watson's no trade clause. The desired compensation from the Texans side. The law suits. The possible criminal cases (both local and federal). Finding an organization willing to deal with the backlash a Watson trade could bring.

Now, we add Watson's enormous contract in 2022 ($35 million) a team will have to absorb. Then there's the shrinking QB market, with Aaron Rodgers and possibly Russell Wilson added to the mix. If it was too difficult to deal Watson at the trade deadline, the complexity will only increase in the offseason.
I'm still of the opinion that the the more players seated at the poker table is a good thing. Another thing that has been a constant is you can usually count on at least one high risk big reach gambler. The biggest obstacle to getting fair value for Watson may lie with the Texans owners who wanted Watson gone before this season started. They may be running out of patience.

I'm still of the opinion that the the more players seated at the poker table is a good thing. Another thing that has been a constant is you can usually count on at least one high risk big reach gambler. The biggest obstacle to getting fair value for Watson may lie with the Texans owners who wanted Watson gone before this season started. They may be running out of patience.
While I do agree, I am hoping that Janice McNair sees how well Caserio has handled the Watson issue. Mostly by keeping quiet in public and per CnnnD he led Stephen Ross of Dolphins into collusion perhaps improving Texans position for negotiation in the offseason. As from beginning, all revolves on resolution of claims. If Ross was willing to pay for settlements and gamble at some level on no or minimal prison or suspension, will other owners gamble if not pay costs?

What happens if Nick says no trade to Miami unless DW revokes NTC allowing Caserio to get best deal? We know Janice ok with paying $10.5 mill but $35 to not only get 3+ starters but to get back some face lost?

Watson is gambling in my opinion that he is found innocent of criminal charges. What if Janice is willing to gamble on the same and also that she can get a package for him 3 round ones and two round twos and perhaps a young defensive player? No one seems to argue that pre-allegations Watson would bring largest trade offer in NFL history. If claims resolved, no or minimal suspension or prison the only big issue for buyers may be trading for player accused like DW. Many teams probably won't want him BUT will Dolphins or Panthers? Either team playing in Jersey? New York might offer as a city what Miami might to DW and Jilly (if she's still around) in creating their brands. Miami should no longer appeal to DW as a quick route to play offs after this season so he might be more agreeable to other locations.

Again it is all about the resolution.

Not sure Aaron or Russell change the equation too much. Age is a big factor here. Getting DW4 with a long career ahead can be alluring. I think Aaron and Russell may be sexy for teams closer to winning like San Fran, but not as good of fit to teams with more to do. Aaron is talented, but seems to have some abrasion with others so he is not a plug and play guy, have to see about side effects with him and how long he really wants to play

Not sure Aaron or Russell change the equation too much. Age is a big factor here. Getting DW4 with a long career ahead can be alluring. I think Aaron and Russell may be sexy for teams closer to winning like San Fran, but not as good of fit to teams with more to do. Aaron is talented, but seems to have some abrasion with others so he is not a plug and play guy, have to see about side effects with him and how long he really wants to play

If they want to play somewhere new next season….they could try to land with the Steelers, Broncos, Saints, or the Vikings.

While I do agree, I am hoping that Janice McNair sees how well Caserio has handled the Watson issue.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The File Clerk started from the very get go refusing to take any calls about the Quarterback. Which IMO was rather asinine and the opposite of doing a job well. Texans need to stand fast on 3 1s and 2 2s, someone will pay it, they always do.

One other point, trading DW4 in 2022 will create a net savings of $18.8MM to the 2022 salary cap. $35MM salary - $16.2MM dead money = $18.8MM.

Last edited:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The File Clerk started from the very get go refusing to take any calls about the Quarterback. Which IMO was rather asinine and the opposite of doing a job well. Texans need to stand fast on 3 1s and 2 2s, someone will pay it, they always do.

One other point, trading DW4 in 2022 will create a net savings of $18.8MM to the 2022 salary cap. $35MM salary - $16.2MM dead money = $18.8MM.

A trade was never going to be approved by the NFL when everything was still developing. This has been agreed on by many people on the board.

Watson is the reason a trade hasn’t happened. There was a buyer in Miami but Watson didn’t settle his lawsuits.

Not sure Aaron or Russell change the equation too much. Age is a big factor here
Keep an eye on Stafford in LA. If they’re competing in the NFCCG age isn’t going to be a big factor. We already have the example of Brady in Tampa Bay.

if the Rams are in the Super Bowl then age will definitely not be a factor. Win now. A team like Carolina or Denver will think they can win now… heck Denver just did it with Peyton

Here we go again

What if Caserio gets nothing for Derrick?

How will posters feel about Caserio then?
Not getting anything for Watson is definitely a worst-case scenario, but I don't think it falls on Caserio. At that point, we can only judge him by what he has done thus far...which is not impressive. The 2022 draft may change that, but his body of work right now only looks less dismal because he was preceded by BOB.

Maybe we should pass the HWSNBN moniker on to BOB and make peace with the current HWSNBN.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Here we go again

What if Caserio gets nothing for Derrick?

How will posters feel about Caserio then?

We can't rule out that possibility.

And if that happens, here's to hoping for a miracle and Jeff Bezos buys the team. lol

Seriously, though, I'm getting ready for the possibility that the Texans end up empty-handed in the end. And then we are watching a 10+ year "rebuild" with the McNairs in charge. Your 'lost decade'.

While I do agree, I am hoping that Janice McNair sees how well Caserio has handled the Watson issue. Mostly by keeping quiet in public and per CnnnD he led Stephen Ross of Dolphins into collusion perhaps improving Texans position for negotiation in the offseason. As from beginning, all revolves on resolution of claims. If Ross was willing to pay for settlements and gamble at some level on no or minimal prison or suspension, will other owners gamble if not pay costs?

What happens if Nick says no trade to Miami unless DW revokes NTC allowing Caserio to get best deal? We know Janice ok with paying $10.5 mill but $35 to not only get 3+ starters but to get back some face lost?

Watson is gambling in my opinion that he is found innocent of criminal charges. What if Janice is willing to gamble on the same and also that she can get a package for him 3 round ones and two round twos and perhaps a young defensive player? No one seems to argue that pre-allegations Watson would bring largest trade offer in NFL history. If claims resolved, no or minimal suspension or prison the only big issue for buyers may be trading for player accused like DW. Many teams probably won't want him BUT will Dolphins or Panthers? Either team playing in Jersey? New York might offer as a city what Miami might to DW and Jilly (if she's still around) in creating their brands. Miami should no longer appeal to DW as a quick route to play offs after this season so he might be more agreeable to other locations.

Again it is all about the resolution.
You have to actually be charged with a criminal act before you can be found not guilty (innocence is presumed).

I'm doubting at this point the criminal complaints go anywhere. That leaves the numerous civil suits with a much lower burden of proof. DW4 is far batter off getting these negotiated, before he makes a mistake in one that reopens a criminal investigation.

Given the Texans track record, I'm betting they forever regret not taking Three 1s and Three 3s when it was offered initially. (I hope I'm wrong and they get a king's ransom, but that would be breaking tradition here)

Cap first: true IF a pre June 1 trade in 2022, even more if post June 1st 2022.

I do think it was beautiful for Texans to refuse to take calls initially as that should pique interest. Did he take it too far? I don't think so as the allegations interfered with the overall negotiation and became the Prime Focus as it should have. I also agree that Texans should get a huge package. What that may be of course is not clear at this time. For example Eagles trading 3 top 10 picks in 2022 is a whole lot more acceptable to me than three first rounds from Miami spread over the next two drafts.

I am not so interested in name-calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back