Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
DB, Just because Jack is in the draft room...

jack-in-the-war-room-jpg.8702

...and on the sideline,,,

613a18f31e170e62bd566935

....doesn't mean he's involved with the management or direction of this team in any way. All NFL teams put the guys in charge of the cafeteria in the draft room and on the sideline. And give them the title of executive vice president of football operations. Geez.

613a18f31e170e62bd566935

....doesn't mean he's involved with the management or direction of this team in any way. All NFL teams put the guys in charge of the cafeteria in the draft room and on the sideline. And give them the title of executive vice president of football operations. Geez.
I get the sense that Nick Caserio has the freedom to rock and roll and do what he wants as long as it meets with the Jack Easterby seal of approval.

The Texans website undermines your chosen narrative:

"In his role, Easterby manages all football operations and directs the overall culture of the organization." ~ houstontexans.com

This franchise has ALWAYS operated its front office like a corporate boardroom. This is not conjecture but straight from the mouths of the McNair family. It is the corporate culture that Bob McNair felt comfortable running his billion dollar companies within, and it is simple naive to believe the Executive Vice President of Football Operations does not have a seat at that boardroom table.

I mean, unless they are publishing an org chart, we have to go with what is on the Texans website. It says he is over Football Operations and culture. In the business world there are many examples of people with big titles with no one reporting to them because they are in consultant type roles.

Go ahead and look at that same web page where you pulled that quote and let me know what people in the Football Operations front office you think report to him in his capacity as EVP of Football Operations, noting that on the web page he is listed below NC as the GM.

If any reported directly to him and he just wasn't NC's wingman, I would say the following:
  • Tim Brog Director of Football Technology
  • Clay Hampton Director of Football Operations and Team Logistics
  • Ladd Harris Director of Team Wellness
  • Russell Joyner Director of Football Information Systems
  • Brent Naccara Director of Security and Facility Operations
I would be pretty confident the following do not report to him:
  • David Culley Head Coach
  • Mike Eubanks Head Strength and Conditioning
  • Geoff Kaplan Director of Medical Administration
  • Roland Ramirez Director of Athletic Training and Physical Therapy / Head Athletic Trainer
  • Dylan Thompson Director of Team Development
In other words, he can be completely immersed in "football operations" and not have a damned thing to do with personnel. But some people around here are convinced that he has pulled some Rasputin-level crap on the McNairs.

613a18f31e170e62bd566935

Post of the Month! But can you find a picture of Jack Easterby in the cafeteria? :)

613a18f31e170e62bd566935

MicDrop.gif

I mean, unless they are publishing an org chart, we have to go with what is on the Texans website. It says he is over Football Operations and culture. In the business world there are many examples of people with big titles with no one reporting to them because they are in consultant type roles.

Go ahead and look at that same web page where you pulled that quote and let me know what people in the Football Operations front office you think report to him in his capacity as EVP of Football Operations, noting that on the web page he is listed below NC as the GM.

If any reported directly to him and he just wasn't NC's wingman, I would say the following:
  • Roland Ramirez Director of Athletic Training and Physical Therapy / Head Athletic Trainer
In other words, he can be completely immersed in "football operations" and not have a damned thing to do with personnel. But some people around here are convinced that he has pulled some Rasputin-level crap on the McNairs.

I'm basing my perspective on the actual history and statements made by the owners of the Houston Texans, not any other franchise or company.

And the fact that Cal McNair is a gullible doofus.

Name another NFL front office executive, who is BFF with the GM, whose shenanigans are gracing the cover of Sports Illustrated. I'll wait for your update.

Why folks want to rush to defend this franchise-killing fool is beyond my comprehension, but I stopped trying to figure out people and their motivations a long time ago.

All NFL teams put the guys in charge of the cafeteria in the draft room and on the sideline. And give them the title of executive vice president of football operations.
And pay them 3 million dollars a year (heard this on 610 Payne & Pendergast).

I'm basing my perspective on the actual history and statements made by the owners of the Houston Texans, not any other franchise or company.

Name another NFL front office executive, who is BFF with the GM, whose shenanigans are gracing the cover of Sports Illustrated. I'll wait for your update.

Why folks want to rush to defend this franchise-killing fool is beyond my comprehension, but I stopped trying to figure out people and their motivations a long time ago.
Jack Easterby is Cal McNair's paid friend.

Nothing I said defended Easterby in any way, shape or form.

Simply pointing out that it is impossible for you to prove that everything in the Football Operations front office including the GM runs through him based off a poorly-worded bio line. Do you really believe that Culley takes his orders from Easterby? That Jack is managing the day to day operations of the training room ordering around the head trainer and S&C coach? That he is initiating and facilitating meetings with the scouts? That he is running the draft board? That Caserio gets his approval before doing anything? You must, because you believe per that bio line that he has the entirety of Football Operations under his control as the EVP, including the GM.

OR, you know in your heart that he has influence and input but at the end of the day he doesn't get to make decisions about any of these things, it's just that you hate him so much that you're keeping up the narrative. OB was ruining this franchise long before Easterby showed up.

Simply pointing out that it is impossible for you to prove that everything in the Football Operations front office including the GM runs through him based off a poorly-worded bio line. Do you really believe that Culley takes his orders from Easterby? That Jack is managing the day to day operations of the training room ordering around the head trainer and S&C coach? That he is initiating and facilitating meetings with the scouts? That he is running the draft board? That Caserio gets his approval before doing anything? You must, because you believe per that bio line that he has the entirety of Football Operations under his control as the EVP, including the GM.

OR, you know in your heart that he has influence and input but at the end of the day he doesn't get to make decisions about any of these things, it's just that you hate him so much that you're keeping up the narrative. OB was ruining this franchise long before Easterby showed up.
When has a character coach ever negotiated contracts and became interim gm before your pro personel scout? He's involved in everything, but he's responsible for nothing.

The character coach hired the gm. You mean to tell me he couldn't give Culley orders? A character coach has the ear of the owner. Why do you think the Gaine was here for 2 yrs and got fired for what?

When has a character coach ever negotiated contracts and became interim gm before your pro personel scout? He's involved in everything, but he's responsible for nothing.

That’s on Cal. There were numerous resources and options to do instead.

The only thing I can think of is that Cal and OB knew of Watson and Hopkin’s escapades and did not want any outsiders knowing and leaking. Easterby, Gaine and OB were to right the ship. Then it was going to be Easterby, Caserio and OB. Then that didn’t happen so Cal was limited because of privacy. That’s why Easterby is still here. He has blackmail. That’s my tin foil theory.

Pretty sure he was the EVP of Football Operations and acting as OB's assistant GM when they made him the interim. You may not like that he had that role (not many of us do), thought that he wasn't qualified for the role (again, not many of us do), or hated his performance in the role (again, again), but it doesn't change the fact that the #2 role in Football Operations is a logical step-in for the #1 job in Football Operations. Not saying it was the only option, but it certainly isn't a bad option.

And before you come back with a "you're an Easterby defender", I most certainly am not. But I can objectively recognize and separate the role that he is in from his skills and abilities to perform in said role.

The character coach hired the gm. You mean to tell me he couldn't give Culley orders? A character coach has the ear of the owner. Why do you think the Gaine was here for 2 yrs and got fired for what?

Oh, you seriously believe that even with Caserio as the GM, who is on record stating that Easterby's focus is not on the personnel side, that he has the power to tell Culley what to do without Caserio's knowledge or consent? Time to end this conversation. Have a good one.

Does it really matter? We've got TV commentators as GMs in this league.

Simple question. Based on his qualifications and accomplishment with the Texans. IF Easterby was fired today. Which is more likely. Another team hires him as EVP of Football Operations or as a character coach?

Simple question. Based on his qualifications and accomplishment with the Texans. IF Easterby was fired today. Which is more likely. Another team hires him as EVP of Football Operations or as a character coach?

You know the answer to this.

I know Easterby was hired to find the dead bodies in the FO and players. He did his job very well. My question now is and maybe you know the answer, what does his job entail now?

The Texans website undermines your chosen narrative:

"In his role, Easterby manages all football operations and directs the overall culture of the organization." ~ houstontexans.com

This franchise has ALWAYS operated its front office like a corporate boardroom. This is not conjecture but straight from the mouths of the McNair family. It is the corporate culture that Bob McNair felt comfortable running his billion dollar companies within, and it is simple naive to believe the Executive Vice President of Football Operations does not have a seat at that boardroom table.
Football Ops is not personnel or cap, it is logistics planning. I said he does have a voice, but anyone not seeing a difference since NC arrived is not being honest. I am not saying you need to like what NC is doing, I just feel it is clear that Easterby has been put in his place away from personnel and cap. Do I want him anywhere near the franchise, no, but if Cal needs him and his sage advice and whispers I feel NC is keeping him in his box. Secondly, NC gets paid double and has a six year deal. Third, Cal said in a press conference Easterby does what NC wants him to do. So I feel there is a clear management of the cancer now.

I have not seen a single person want him in our organization, we are just debating his influence now with NC in place. Fire Easterby already please, only his family will shed a tear. To answer your question, I am not sure he could land any role in the NFL. I hired tons of people, but Trust is big with me, and simply said, I don't think I could trust this guy. Secondly, you cannot convince me there is not better candidates for NFL jobs then him. NFL loves them some re-treads though

as he quietly sweeps under the rug Easterby's firing of GM, Brian Gaine AND VP of Marketing Amy Palcik AND VP of Operations Chris Olson AND HC Bill O'Brien, while running off President Jamey Rootes. (And at the time of their firing all were higher on the food chain than Jack Easterby)

I know Easterby was hired to find the dead bodies in the FO and players. He did his job very well. My question now is and maybe you know the answer, what does his job entail now?
Characterizing Gaine being a major obstruction to asinine trades, Olson not being a part of ridiculous contracts, Palcic being a Biden supporter, Rootes for refusing to be part of the Kirby Circus and dumpster fire AS DEAD BODIES...well OK then. Here's to the Kirby Circus and Dumpster Fire. Have you had a lobotomy?

Characterizing Gaine being a major obstruction to asinine trades, Olson not being a part of ridiculous contracts, Palcic being a Biden supporter, Rootes for refusing to be part of the Kirby Circus and dumpster fire AS DEAD BODIES...well OK then. Here's to the Kirby Circus and Dumpster Fire. Have you had a lobotomy?

You're talking about people that were part of almost 20 yrs of failure.

There was a culture of sexual harassment that existed in the Texans FO. In fact lawsuits were filed and a top level executive below Rootes was fired. Speaking of Rootes, that's who fired Palcic and I find it interesting that Rootes didn't even last 6 months in his new job with the soccer team.

I didn't like Rootes attitude of a winning team doesn't matter, it's all about image Mr. McNair if you want to make as much money as possible. Which of course that was always Bob McNair's #1 goal. I'm glad Rootes is gone.

Were you on board with keeping these employees around another 20 yrs? If so I'll put you in the group of, Yes could you please kick me in the nut again because getting kicked in the nuts for the 1st 20 yrs has been so much fun crowd.

You're talking about people that were part of almost 20 yrs of failure.

There was a culture of sexual harassment that existed in the Texans FO. In fact lawsuits were filed and a top level executive below Rootes was fired. Speaking of Rootes, that's who fired Palcic and I find it interesting that Rootes didn't even last 6 months in his new job with the soccer team.

I didn't like Rootes attitude of a winning team doesn't matter, it's all about image Mr. McNair if you want to make as much money as possible. Which of course that was always Bob McNair's #1 goal. I'm glad Rootes is gone.
Yep, you've been lobotomized. :) (and probably don't even know it)

Pretty sure he was the EVP of Football Operations and acting as OB's assistant GM when they made him the interim. You may not like that he had that role (not many of us do), thought that he wasn't qualified for the role (again, not many of us do), or hated his performance in the role (again, again), but it doesn't change the fact that the #2 role in Football Operations is a logical step-in for the #1 job in Football Operations. Not saying it was the only option, but it certainly isn't a bad option.

And before you come back with a "you're an Easterby defender", I most certainly am not. But I can objectively recognize and separate the role that he is in from his skills and abilities to perform in said role.
Calvin Hill is a character coach, do you see him waving a flag about negotiating a player contract or playing gm, but takes no blame?

Calvin Hill is a character coach, do you see him waving a flag about negotiating a player contract or playing gm, but takes no blame?

Well, Calvin Hill has a third-party consulting contract with the Cowboys, he is not an employee of the Cowboys, so not sure what point you are trying to make.

Read the last part of my post.

You must have really enjoyed the last 20 yrs since you're resistant to change.
There are two sides to an NFL football franchise. The League side and the Football Operations side. The league side consist of league operations, Sales and Marketing and everything else that DOES NOT pertain to the X and Os of the franchise. BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION YOU HAVE ADMITTED THAT BOB MCNAIR HAS DONE AN OUTSTANDING JOB IN MAKING MONEY AND RUNNING THE LEAGUE OPERATIONS SIDE OF THE FRANCHISE. WHILE ALSO ADMITTING THE FOOTBALL SIDE HAS BEEN A DISMAL FAILURE. Jamey Rootes was President and ran the League side of the franchise. He and was responsible for the building of NRG Stadium and all of the other Bob McNair successes you're clamoring about such as making money hand over fist. So while you are praising all of the successes of the Texans that Rootes was responsible for on one hand, you're condemning him on the other. You sound very conflicted and confused.

If you want all of the Rootes successes on the Football Operations side of the equations, the X and Os, then you must hire that one person who has proven he knows how to win more football games than most and then get out of his way. Caserio, Easterby and Culley are not that person.

There are two sides to an NFL football franchise. The League side and the Football Operations side. The league side consist of league operations, Sales and Marketing and everything else that DOES NOT pertain to the X and Os of the franchise. BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION YOU HAVE ADMITTED THAT BOB MCNAIR HAS DONE AN OUTSTANDING JOB IN MAKING MONEY AND RUNNING THE LEAGUE OPERATIONS SIDE OF THE FRANCHISE. WHILE ALSO ADMITTING THE FOOTBALL SIDE HAS BEEN A DISMAL FAILURE. Jamey Rootes was President and ran the League side of the franchise. He and was responsible for the building of NRG Stadium and all of the other Bob McNair successes you're clamoring about such as making money hand over fist. So while you are praising all of the successes of the Texans that Rootes was responsible for on one hand, you're condemning him on the other. You sound very conflicted and confused.

If you want all of the Rootes successes on the Football Operations side of the equations, the X and Os, then you must hire that one person who has proven he knows how to win more football games than most and then get out of his way. Caserio, Easterby and Culley are not that person.

Nope, after 20 yrs I wanted a full housecleaning and for the light to be shown on what kind of franchise the McNair's were truly running. Not what the media tells you they're running. The way they've treated some vendors, the sexual harassment that existed in the FO down on Kirby etc....

This kind of came to light, but the 3rd string QB's mess is overshadowing this. Man, I tell you the McNairs are so lucky the 3rd string QB stuff happened because if some of the stuff that was going down Kirby that I've heard that happened under Rootes watch, the McNair's would be in the news for another reason.

613a18f31e170e62bd566935

He's the boogie man ....

You have made this statement on multiple occasions. However, at the Watson press conference, Easterby was right there happy and please that the Texans signed Watson to that $160 million contract. Unless you mean that Easterby did a good job ingratiating himself to the McNairs and getting promoted to his dream job. How can you say Easterby did his job well? A case can be made that by asking for a new contract, Hopkins out maneuvered O'Brien and Easterby.

So again, beside removing obstacles/people on his way to EVP of football ops, what job did he do well?

You have made this statement on multiple occasions. However, at the Watson press conference, Easterby was right there happy and please that the Texans signed Watson to that $160 million contract. Unless you mean that Easterby did a good job ingratiating himself to the McNairs and getting promoted to his dream job. How can you say Easterby did his job well? A case can be made that by asking for a new contract, Hopkins out maneuvered O'Brien and Easterby.

So again, beside removing obstacles/people on his way to EVP of football ops, what job did he do well?

Hopkins did outmaneuver them.

Trust me Easterby reported his findings back to Cal. Cal just thought the 3rd string QB would change his ways (after all the POS mother told Janice he would change his ways if that evil Hopkins wasn't on Kirby anymore) for money reasons. Do you think in this case Easterby would tell Cal he was doing the wrong thing?

To answer your question, he cleaned up the crap that was going on in the FO and gave Cal the info he got. Of course Cal chose $$$$ instead of doing the right thing and now we as fans have to pay for the choice Cal made.

Hopkins did outmaneuver them.

Trust me Easterby reported his findings back to Cal. Cal just thought the 3rd string QB would change his ways (after all the POS mother told Janice he would change his ways if that evil Hopkins wasn't on Kirby anymore) for money reasons. Do you think in this case Easterby would tell Cal he was doing the wrong thing?

To answer your question, he cleaned up the crap that was going on in the FO and gave Cal the info he got. Of course Cal chose $$$$ instead of doing the right thing and now we as fans have to pay for the choice Cal made.
So, they knew this and hope he would change his way by giving him $160 million AND a no trade clause? They didn’t add any clauses about personal conduct that would not violate the CBA?

So, the Texans were out maneuvered by two guys from Clemson? Yet, you think Easterby did a good job advising the McNairs and guiding the franchise? Amy Palcic’s position has already been filled.

So, they knew this and hope he would change his way by giving him $160 million AND a no trade clause? They didn’t add any clauses about personal conduct that would not violate the CBA?

So, the Texans were out maneuvered by two guys from Clemson? Yet, you think Easterby did a good job advising the McNairs and guiding the franchise? Amy Palcic’s position has already been filled.

Yes, I believe the 2 mamma's talked and Mamma Watson convinced Mamma McNair that her boy would change if they just moved that dirty old Hopkins out of town. Plus from a marketing angle extending him was the right thing to do and of course when you do the wrong things for the wrong reasons things typically blowup in you're face. I fully believe (Have no proof) that Hopkins was traded because Hopkins/3rd String QB were doing some shady stuff and in typical Texans fashion for monetary reasons the McNair's took half measures when it came to taking the trash out down on Kirby.

I believe Easterby let Cal know what was going on and are you surprised that Palcic's job has been filled? I've got no doubt that she was good at her job. But lets be honest her position isn't a hard position to fill. This was just another attempt by the media to make Easterby look bad, even though Rootes is the person who fired Palcic.

Even though I disagree with this, it's like free speech you can say whatever you want, but you should be careful about what you say because what you say can and will cost you your job.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe the 2 mamma's talked and Mamma Watson convinced Mamma McNair that her boy would change if they just moved that dirty old Hopkins out of town. Plus from a marketing angle extending him was the right thing to do and of course when you do the wrong things for the wrong reasons things typically blowup in you're face. I fully believe (Have no proof) that Hopkins was traded because Hopkins/3rd String QB were doing some shady stuff and in typical Texans fashion for monetary reasons the McNair's took half measures when it came to taking the trash out down on Kirby.

There's quite a world of difference between what DHop was doing & what Watson was doing.
One of them was completely legal ....and nothing I didn't do myself when I was 20something. Who among us wasn't chasing tail ? As much as we could get ?!

The other .... not so much & once DHop was taken out of the picture things spiraled out of control.
As for what the Boogie Man told Janice / Momma Watson , It wasn't half the story. No one had a clue it was that bad ....

Just curious if Calvin Hill was asked to negotiate contracts or be the acting GM tomorrow would he refuse?

There's quite a world of difference between what DHop was doing & what Watson was doing.
One of them was completely legal ....and nothing I didn't do myself when I was 20something. Who among us wasn't chasing tail ? As much as we could get ?!

The other .... not so much & once DHop was taken out of the picture things spiraled out of control.
As for what the Boogie Man told Janice / Momma Watson , It wasn't half the story. No one had a clue it was that bad ....

Totally agree with you.

But there's a big difference between chasing tail and what they were doing.

Thing is they had more opportunity to get women who were willing to throw themselves at them than we ever did.

That's not what they were doing or what this was about.

Totally agree with you.

But there's a big difference between chasing tail and what they were doing.

Thing is they had more opportunity to get women who were willing to throw themselves at them than we ever did.

That's not what they were doing or what this was about.
I can't get no, oh, no, no, no, hey, hey, hey
That's what I say
I can't get no satisfaction
I can't get no girl reaction
'Cause I try, and I try, and I try, and I try
I can't get no, I can't get no

When I'm ridin' 'round the world
And I'm doin' this and I'm signin' that
And I'm tryin' to make some girl, who tells me
Baby, better come back maybe next week
Can't you see I'm on a losing streak?
I can't get no, oh, no, no, no, hey, hey, hey