Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard McClain say something recently that actually made sense. His point was Watson showed up to camp to avoid getting fined. However, he's not surprised that he is not immediately on the CEL. Base salaries don't kick in until the season starts and that's when he would expect Watson to go on the CEL. Week 1.

If he is correct about the base salary, when you combine it with your roster comments, it makes sense that Watson would be on the CEL week one.
[QUOTEPlayers earn their base salary by just being on the team’s roster during the year. Players are given their base salary pay in 17 installments (for the 16-game schedule), one per week during the season. Base salary can be non-guaranteed or guaranteed depending on various clauses and conditions. ][/QUOTE]https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/the-art-of-nfl-contracts-part-1-the-basics

I take all these articles with a grain of salt, as the only outcome is terrible for the team. It’s like, Watson may just be able to play the entire 2021 season because Roger Goodell is not putting Watson on the CEL. But, if the Texans try to force Watson to play then Goodell will force the Texans to pay him $10m (CEL) just to sit at home. So…Watson dictates whether he plays or not.

Watson decides what he does, because he’s somehow this oh so powerful public figure who can do no wrong.

Just read an article stating the team would keep Watson on their 53 man roster but pay him his 10.54M and keep him inactive for each game. At this time there are no team(s) willing to play with that much draft capital while there’s still so much uncertainty with Watson’s 2021 season..

In the same article it was mentioned that the Texans may hit a snag with this move b/c the current players agreement would only allow him to be put on the inactive list for 4 games while still healthy enough to play. This could put an interesting twist at the conclusion of WK4.

This could be crazier yet if the Texans were to lose their first 4 games while the defense has played well enough that 1 or 2 of the games were winnable if only the offense could up its production.

If anything has been figured out on the legal front by 1600 on the 2nd of November….Watson’s value and demand could be at its absolute peak if any playoff contender has lost their QB1 and they possess the potential assets to make a trade of this magnitude.

What all the DW4 trade talk brouhaha is all about: Miami Dolphins are making trade offers putting contingencies on their offers. IE: Miami is willing to meet the Texans asking price of 3 #1s and 2 #2s provided DW4 plays 80% of the snaps in 2021 and 2022. If DW4 does not then drafts picks resort to 3 #2s and 2 #3s. Miami is trying to draw to an inside straight betting that Easterby and the McNairs will bite just to get the pervert out of town. So far the Texans are holding firm. This is a smart play by the Dolphins.

What all the DW4 trade talk brouhaha is all about: Miami Dolphins are making trade offers putting contingencies on their offers. IE: Miami is willing to meet the Texans asking price of 3 #1s and 2 #2s provided DW4 plays 80% of the snaps in 2021 and 2022. If DW4 does not then drafts picks resort to 3 #2s and 2 #3s. Miami is trying to draw to an inside straight betting that Easterby and the McNairs will bite just to get the pervert out of town. So far the Texans are holding firm. This is a smart play by the Dolphins.

Yep. Texans are playing a game of chicken with that contract. And if they wait until 2022 offseason, they'll be looking at $35 mil/year in that game of chicken.

I personally don't think the McNairs will ultimately have the cojones to wait it out, but perhaps Caserio is the deciding factor here.

My take is to sit him and let him rot until they get the deal, but it's not my money, so easy for me to say. lol

Three round ones and 2 second rounds from Miami would not be acceptable to me if I were the GM. On the other hand the same from Philadelphia would at least pique my interest especially if they would also throw in players. K'von Wallace + Landon Dickerson + Devonta Smith.
Philly mitigates the risk with Watson missing games and the Texans get assurance of landing 3 good players even if the draft picks are moved back a round.

80 % of snaps for 2021 with everyone insisting 8 games minimum missed
Of 17 is not smart for Houston..make it 50% knowing DWs 10m is reduced every game and buying team saves $. Having Watson on Eagles roster for 9 games would be worth more risk imo.

I would also be open to Jalen Hurt battling Mills for 22 starter.

Last edited:
Yep. Texans are playing a game of chicken with that contract. And if they wait until 2022 offseason, they'll be looking at $35 mil/year in that game of chicken.

I personally don't think the McNairs will ultimately have the cojones to wait it out, but perhaps Caserio is the deciding factor here.

My take is to sit him and let him rot until they get the deal, but it's not my money, so easy for me to say. lol
The 35 m cap is for the purchasing team and only 20 the following season. 27.5 m avg for top five QB starter should not make any team hesitate. Throw in any part of 2021s 10.5m or less depending on games played lowers cost even more. Very attractive contract if legal resolved.

Texans holding firm not a game of chicken just brilliant chess.

Last edited:
Three round ones and 2 second rounds from Miami would not be acceptable to me if I were the GM. On the other hand the same from Philadelphia would at least pique my interest especially if they would also throw in players. K'von Wallace + Landon Dickerson + Devonta Smith.
Philly mitigates the risk with Watson missing games and the Texans get assurance of landing 3 good players even if the draft picks are moved back a round.

Of 17 is not smart for Houston..make it 50% knowing DWs 10m is reduced every game and buying team saves $. Having Watson on Eagles roster for 9 games would be worth more risk imo.

I think your pushing it with Devonta. But the other 2 and Zack Ertz I think would suffice.

As I mentioned before, if I were the Texans I'm not lowering the rounds the picks are in. I would counter for contingency in case he misses time, the picks are just moved to the next year. My emphasis to the trade partner would be that you're getting a franchise QB for potentially 10 years so pony up.

Against nfl rules for contingency plans aimed at possible suspension

As I mentioned before, if I were the Texans I'm not lowering the rounds the picks are in. I would counter for contingency in case he misses time, the picks are just moved to the next year. My emphasis to the trade partner would be that you're getting a franchise QB for potentially 10 years so pony up.

Would that work? I thought you could only trade picks in the next 3 years - you couldn't have a contingency mention a year 4 pick for the trade to be valid, I think.

Consideration offered for DW4 in a trade can be shielded by language which withdraws most of the consideration in the event Watson
is found guilty of felonious charges, and/or convicted of said charges, and/or sentenced to prison time. That's what they pay these lawyers for who can put as many conditions or qualifications in a contract as they choose.
Anyway this is what makes me think that the Texans are getting offers, highly qualified/conditional as they may be for Watson, because several teams still want him very badly and want to get at the head of the line in any bidding for DW4.

I like the idea of the trade but no team will include players (cleared to play now) in a trade for Watson when the key piece (Watson) may not be taking the field this year or 2022 or possibly even longer depending on how his situation plays out.

If Texans find a taker of Watson now or before the 2021 NFL Trade Deadline….Texans and Caserio will probably have to accept a very creative but protected bounty of picks.

Last edited:
has anyone else heard Miami offered three first and three third round picks and Nick turned it down?

they made mention of this on 610. They said this was very early in the situation, before the civil suits came about. In that regard, I believe at that point we were looking for 4 #1’s.

I think your pushing it with Devonta. But the other 2 and Zack Ertz I think would suffice.
No to Ertz 31 yoa in final season at $12 m cap and last two seasons voided. 36 for 335 yds and one TD; no way I see him as good for that hit. Yeah I get you on Smith but he would have to be a must specifically if the three round ones could lower to round twos.

I like the idea of the trade but no team will include players (cleared to play now) in a trade for Watson when the key piece (Watson) may not be taking the field this year or 2022 or possibly even longer depending on how his situation plays out.

If Texans find a taker of Watson now or before the 2021 NFL Trade Deadline….Texans and Caserio will probably have to accept a very creative but protected bounty of picks.
Definitely understand but teams will be looking at a 10 + career with DW. If traded tomorrow he would start week one. NFL is risky for teams and players and we see owners/GMs make high risk questionable decisions annually. Dolphins owner Ross tried to trade up for Burrow.
Last year, Ross wanted to trade up for Joe Burrow. The Bengals refused any and all offers Miami made for the first overall pick in the draft. The Dolphins settled for Tua Tagovailoa with the fifth overall selection. In so doing, they left quarterback Justin Herbert on the board.
With Watson, a short-list franchise quarterback Ross has long coveted, now available, Ross wants to get him. The Texans, however, continue to have unrealistic expectations. They reportedly want three first-round picks and a pair of second-round picks. While there may be some play in that widely-reported package, the Texans aren’t willing to soften their expectations to account for the uncertainty arising from Watson’s legal situation.
As explained during Tuesday’s PFT Live, the Texans possibly refuse to relent because they realize that Watson’s next team will be getting a 10-year answer at the position. Despite any possible short-term unavailability, he’ll most likely will eventually be cleared to play, whether in 2022, 2023, or 2024.
The owner’s desire to get Deshaun likely won’t wane — unless Tagovailoa becomes a franchise quarterback in 2021.

Paying Watson to sit but remain under team control makes more sense than short-selling him this season to a team that would “eventually” see him playing while he’s in his prime years. The Texans nor Caserio can afford to miss on this transaction….it has to play out in their favor.

Paying Watson to sit but remain under team control makes more sense than short-selling him this season to a team that would “eventually” see him playing while he’s in his prime years. The Texans nor Caserio can afford to miss on this transaction….it has to play out in their favor.
True, but telling him he's playing and seeing where he took it from there would be even better. He's not playing, so I think he stops showing up and the Texans can go the suspension route, while at the same time, nothing comes off his contract. Or he fakes an injury where the Texans could then file a greivance to avoid paying the dude. Faking an injury though hurts his chances of getting traded now like he wants, so it would have been interesting to see what he would have done.

Of course the Texans chose to play his game and it looks like they're going to give him another $10M on top of the $27M signing bonus they already gave him. Paying a man $37M to not take a single snap for you. That's what they chose.

Or if it doesn't, that's a chance Caserio has to take.

No to Ertz 31 yoa in final season at $12 m cap and last two seasons voided. 36 for 335 yds and one TD; no way I see him as good for that hit. Yeah I get you on Smith but he would have to be a must specifically if the three round ones could lower to round twos.
Then I think they would drop a pick down. Devonta is a lot on top of that, man. Or another player. Hell, I just want all their picks.
I would love next years draft to be the Texans draft with multiple 1st and 2nd round picks, and they just kill it.

Yes with emphasis on Short Selling. I have never suggested that. LOL. My thought would be for example with Miami knowing their only first round in 2022 is from San Francisco who has been projected by a gambling site to be the fifth most likely team to go to the Superbowl: why should Dolphins wait until NFL knows that SF is picking in the bottom six or seven? At least now there is some ambiguity. Eagles have 3 (possible)firsts in 2022 and the highest should be top five. Eagles also have Devonta Smith Heisman Trophy wide receiver to compare with Dolphins Waddell who I thought was the better wide receiver in college.

If DW cleared going into 2022 more teams most likely will be in the mix driving up the cost.

Last edited:
True, but telling him he's playing and seeing where he took it from there would be even better. He's not playing, so I think he stops showing up and the Texans can go the suspension route, while at the same time, nothing comes off his contract. Or he fakes an injury where the Texans could then file a greivance to avoid paying the dude. Faking an injury though hurts his chances of getting traded now like he wants, so it would have been interesting to see what he would have done.

Of course the Texans chose to play his game and it looks like they're going to give him another $10M on top of the $27M signing bonus they already gave him. Paying a man $37M to not take a single snap for you. That's what they chose.
You like facts. what fact have you read that the Texans haven’t told him he’s playing? The only facts seem to be that he’s told them he won’t play for them ( a simple “you’re our Qb is a statement that you are playing and I heard that from DC and NC’s mouth) and he hasn’t. That’s why I still believe the NFL is guiding this event. A suspension doesn’t solve the trade demands which I believe are the crux of the matter for the NFL. The circumstantial evidence seems to point towards the NFL telling the Texans to wait for the results of the investigation, no trades will be allowed for now, and the rest of the league to just STFU until further notice.

You like facts. what fact have you read that the Texans haven’t told him he’s playing? The only facts seem to be that he’s told them he won’t play for them ( a simple “you’re our Qb is a statement that you are playing and I heard that from DC and NC’s mouth) and he hasn’t. That’s why I still believe the NFL is guiding this event. A suspension doesn’t solve the trade demands which I believe are the crux of the matter for the NFL. The circumstantial evidence seems to point towards the NFL telling the Texans to wait for the results of the investigation, no trades will be allowed for now, and the rest of the league to just STFU until further notice.

I've mentioned recently that I thought the NFL has told the Texans some kind of something about what to do. And if part of that was playing it like they have so far, then so be it. I was just simply wondering out loud what would Watson have done if the Texans told him to get in there with the 1's, play in the PS games, and get ready to start Sept. 12. You know, do all the things they're paying him to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've mentioned recently that I thought the NFL has told the Texans some kind of something about what to do. And if part of that was playing it like they have so far, then so be it. I was just simply wondering out loud what would Watson have done if the Texans told him to get in there with the 1's, play in the PS games, and get ready to start Sept. 12. You know, do all the things they're paying him to do.
Why the blow up dude? I wasn’t arguing. I just respectfully expressed my opinion. Didn’t you admonish folks in another post for talking out their ass instead of getting the facts? I’m trying to figure out the facts you must have because you stated the Texans chose to play Watsons game. You weren’t simply wondering with that statement. I’ve seen those comments before and I still haven’t seen any verifiable evidence of the Texans position. NC did say a couple of days ago that he talks with DW several times a day but he has never disclosed the nature of those conversations. I simply laid out my opinion based on the circumstantial evidence from the facts of NC’s statements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the blow up dude? I wasn’t arguing. I just respectfully expressed my opinion. Didn’t you admonish folks in another post for talking out their ass instead of getting the facts? I’m trying to figure out the facts you must have because you stated the Texans chose to play Watsons game. You weren’t simply wondering with that statement. I’ve seen those comments before and I still haven’t seen any verifiable evidence of the Texans position. NC did say a couple of days ago that he talks with DW several times a day but he has never disclosed the nature of those conversations. I simply laid out my opinion based on the circumstantial evidence from the facts of NC’s statements.
:toropalm:

So, for me, I would take that offer right now if I was the Texans. I might try and negotiate around the wording to ensure that we don’t get shafted by an injury/something unrelated to the legal issues/Miami on a lost season sitting him to recoup draft assets, but overall that is a good deal for the Texans.

If he’s able to play then that is not bad compensation for retool the roster. If he isn’t able to play beyond this season then3 2’s and 2 3’s is not a bad claw back from where we are right now with him sitting until he can’t play any more.

I’d also be concerned that the Texans should take on as little dead money as possible in the trade, or an amount that can be absorbed from this years carry over at the most.

So, for me, I would take that offer right now if I was the Texans. I might try and negotiate around the wording to ensure that we don’t get shafted by an injury/something unrelated to the legal issues/Miami on a lost season sitting him to recoup draft assets, but overall that is a good deal for the Texans.

If he’s able to play then that is not bad compensation for retool the roster. If he isn’t able to play beyond this season then3 2’s and 2 3’s is not a bad claw back from where we are right now with him sitting until he can’t play any more.

I’d also be concerned that the Texans should take on as little dead money as possible in the trade, or an amount that can be absorbed from this years carry over at the most.
I have never seen any trade offers emanating from the Dolphins FO, just the media. Just IMO but with the NFL’s formula for parity which has made it the premier sport by far in the US I just can’t see how the NFL would leave a DW trade, the crux of the parity issue, to fate Or to the whims of teams trying to take advantage of another issue which is of major concern to an increasingly PC NFL. The NFL’s methods for popularity could turn forever on these issues. They NEED to have the results of these investigations first to inform their next moves to save the league From the Wild West.

From John McClain's Mailbag:

Q:
Can you remember any other NFL situation where the team essentially agreed to a player’s threat to hold out unless traded, and then permitted the player to return to the team but not play so that he would still get paid? I would understand trading a player if he actually holds out or retires. But why agree to trade your best player unless he is willing to retire? Didn’t Watson reveal that his threat to retire was a bluff by showing up to get paid? Do you think the way the Texans have handled the Watson situation has created a precedent? And on the merits, why do you think the Texans have agreed to trade Watson? If he isn’t willing to retire, then why not make him the starter? Or have they decided they can rebuild more quickly by shedding his salary and getting multiple draft picks than keeping him as the QB and building around him. They had certainly decided to trade him before his off-the-field problems surfaced. — Louis B.

A: Louis, if the Texans made Watson play, which they can’t, and he blew out his knee for a third time, how stupid would that be? There goes the draft haul they’ll get when they finally trade him. They want to trade Watson because he doesn’t want to play for them, and now he has an unprecedented legal situation that’s created problems for him and them. They had planned to trade him right before the draft to the team that made the best offer — assuming Watson didn’t invoke his no-trade clause — but his mounting legal problems caused teams to put their interest on hold.

Q: I am an avid college football fan, but only a casual fan of professional football. I am new to Houston and enjoy your column. Forgive my naivete and ignorance, but I don't really understand why Deshuan Watson is not playing. I understand that he wants to be traded and other teams are hesitant due to the price and legal situation and NFL commissioner status, but I don't understand why he is not simply told that they will trade him when possible, but he is being paid and needs to play. Is it because they think he won't play hard enough? I find that doubtful as he would only be hurting his own stock and ability to transfer if he did not perform well. The only other thought is that the team does not want to play a person under the cloud of accusation, but at $10 million and no indictment or exempt status, I find that hard to believe, especially in the NFL (see Ezekiel Elliott). — Joel B.

A: He won’t play, and they don’t want him to play, Joel. He wants to be traded, and they want to trade him, but nobody has made them an offer they believe he’s worth because of his legal issues. If he played and got hurt, they’d look like morons. Playing is not an option and shouldn’t be under these circumstances.

Q: Will Watson just stand on the sidelines at each game this year? I’d make him wear a headset and be an assistant coach They won't. This situation has gotten out of hand and if the Dolphins really want him, they’ll give Caserio what he wants. No pick protections, no excuses, no exceptions. The Texans are doing the right thing, we just need the Dolphins to bail us out. Watson ain’t going on the exempt list, no suspension without credible evidence, and can’t be deposed until next year. So Dolphins, don’t be a Dolphin, but a Shark. In other words, don’t be scared, do it. Plus, you have Jacoby Brissett on your roster. And also, what do you think about O'Brien's debut Saturday with Alabama? — James B.

A: Inactive players aren’t on the sideline, James. The Dolphins didn’t try to trade for him. Nobody has made them a serious offer because of his legal problems. I think O’Brien will do great with all that talent at Alabama.

Q: It seems the Commish is really screwing the Texans on DW4. Because Goodell has refused to put Watson on the exempt list, the Texans have to use a valuable roster spot to keep him around (plus, of course, pay his salary). I just don’t understand why Goodell can’t cut the Texans a break and make a decision to put him on the list? — Scott M.

A: Scott, Goodell doesn’t give a hoot about how it affects the Texans. His job is to listen to his legal team and see if they believe he should have been put on the exempt list. Obviously, they didn’t. I think he’s waiting to see if charges are filed. So far, they haven’t been. If the police file charges or a grand jury indicts him, I think Goodell will put him on the exempt list. If he does, Watson gets a paid, $10.54 million, leave of absence.

Is it because they think he won't play hard enough? I find that doubtful as he would only be hurting his own stock and ability to transfer if he did not perform well.
I think this is wrong. It would help tremendously as whatever team wants to go to will be able to make a competitive offer if his stock drops.

Even before the accusations, if Cal would've fired Easterby, Watson would be playing even through the accusations. Esterbunny is the root of the problem and has a key in Cal back. He's involved in everything, but nobody can say what he's good at. Those bad contracts, guess who negotiated them? In the history of the NFL has a former team character coach attained so much power still.

Jack Easterby is Cal McNair's first major FUBAR decision after Bob McNair's passing. Jack Easterby also foreshadowed Cal McNair's propensity to make some of the worst football decisions in the NFL.

Luckily Easterby was able to get Caserio here to take care of this business. He had no qualifications to be working contracts. With that said Easterby did the job he was originally hired to do, take out the trash in both the FO and on the field. He cleaned up a 20 yr failure that produced the McNair's a great amount of wealth, but contributed to sexual harassment that extended from the FO to the on field product.

Luckily Easterby was able to get Caserio here to take care of this business. He had no qualifications to be working contracts. With that said Easterby did the job he was originally hired to do, take out the trash in both the FO and on the field. He cleaned up a 20 yr failure that produced the McNair's a great amount of wealth, but contributed to sexual harassment that extended from the FO to the on field product.
Or Caserio could be the Easterby/McNair biggest FUBAR of all.

Even before the accusations, if Cal would've fired Easterby, Watson would be playing even through the accusations. Esterbunny is the root of the problem and has a key in Cal back. He's involved in everything, but nobody can say what he's good at. Those bad contracts, guess who negotiated them? In the history of the NFL has a former team character coach attained so much power still.
I am not sure that Janice McNair would allow Watson to be playing even if Jack easterby had been terminated.

I am not sure that Janice McNair would allow Watson to be playing even if Jack easterby had been terminated.
Cal too.

I can literally imagine Cal telling Watson what a degenerative idiot he is. Probably telling him then & there, that he won’t play another down in a Texans uniform.

& Easterby behind him saying,

tradingplacesyeah.jpg

Cal too.

I can literally imagine Cal telling Watson what a degenerative idiot he is. Probably telling him then & there, that he won’t play another down in a Texans uniform.

& Easterby behind him saying,

tradingplacesyeah.jpg
I'm not so sure about Cal as I see him more as a go along to get along type of the guy. If Watson was quarterbacking with stats and play similar to last year I doubt if Cal would say it a word. I hope I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back