Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kurt Warner

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
In your opinion what made Kurt Warner a special QB. If you don’t think KW was a special QB, that’s fine. Start another thread if you want to discuss that.

But if you agree, why? I think he was special, but he wasn’t like Peyton. He didn’t quickly process defenses. He didn’t have a rocket laser arm. Strong arm, yes. Good arm yes. But not “special” especially by today’s standard. My opinion of course, if you disagree let’s discuss.

He wasn’t a plus athlete.

But there was something.

In your opinion what made Kurt Warner a special QB. If you don’t think KW was a special QB, that’s fine. Start another thread if you want to discuss that.

But if you agree, why? I think he was special, but he wasn’t like Peyton. He didn’t quickly process defenses. He didn’t have a rocket laser arm. Strong arm, yes. Good arm yes. But not “special” especially by today’s standard. My opinion of course, if you disagree let’s discuss.

He wasn’t a plus athlete.

But there was something.

Ability to process quickly

Accuracy at all levels

Great anticipation.

I agree with you both on these things. I would also add that he had great coaches too.

I wouldn't say Martz/Whisenhunt were great HC's. However Whisenhunt was smart enough to move on from Lienhart to Warner.

Vermiel was a great leader of men.

Interesting little trivia about Warner: he was 1-2 in Super Bowls, in the final three minutes of all three games he threw a touchdown pass to either tie the game or take the lead.

For me, he had a lot of the tangible qualities of understanding defenses, making the throws, could often be clutch.

But, what always impressed me about him was his perseverance and sheer determination. His story is incredible, and the majority of folks would have found something else to do before he got his chance with the Rams. He is the only undrafted quarterback in NFL history to win a Super Bowl. He never seemed to waiver in his belief in himself, and that attitude permeated to others as a team leader.

But, what always impressed me about him was his perseverance and sheer determination. His story is incredible, and the majority of folks would have found something else to do before he got his chance with the Rams. He is the only undrafted quarterback in NFL history to win a Super Bowl. He never seemed to waiver in his belief in himself, and that attitude permeated to others as a team leader.

He credits his wife and her christian values for the majority of that

I was gonna say, the guy had huge marbles. He had everything to lose being an undrafted guy so he played with a great passion. He didn't want to go back to sacking groceries in Iowa. Kind of like what you said, but you are much better with words than I am!

I was gonna say, the guy had huge marbles. He had everything to lose being an undrafted guy so he played with a great passion. He didn't want to go back to sacking groceries in Iowa. Kind of like what you said, but you are much better with words than I am!
What I find interesting with Warner, he came in as a backup to Trent Green who has always been an ok/good starter.

He only got to start due to his injury. Then he looks like the best QB ever.

Goes to New York & most people thought he was done.

Then he goes to Arizona as a backup. Then he gets to start & he’s balling again

Dude had talent and was surrounded by talented wrs, great RB and coaches. But he was very good too. I think his teammates genuinely liked him for being a decent person as well. I’m a fan of his. Loved those offenses and the fact that they broke the Tennessee Hymen’s hearts in the super bowl makes me like him even more.

Dude had talent and was surrounded by talented wrs, great RB and coaches. But he was very good too. I think his teammates genuinely liked him for being a decent person as well. I’m a fan of his. Loved those offenses and the fact that they broke the Tennessee Hymen’s hearts in the super bowl makes me like him even more.

His denying Bud a SB before Bud's ultimate demise made him a sure fire HOF'er in my book.

What I find interesting with Warner, he came in as a backup to Trent Green who has always been an ok/good starter.

He only got to start due to his injury. Then he looks like the best QB ever.

Goes to New York & most people thought he was done.

Then he goes to Arizona as a backup. Then he gets to start & he’s balling again

He had issues (broken bones/ligament damage?) w/his throwing hand his last year at St Louis, his problems that lone year w/the Giants were because he still couldn't grip the ball.

I don't think he was "special" per se, b/c I believe he only really thrived in offenses that wanted to push the ball down the field & he needed certain types of players around him to really be a force. That's why he was dominant in Martz' GSOT track meet scheme, flopped with Coughlin's grind it out power football offense and then was just what the doctor ordered in Arians' down field throwing offense. What separated him was his accuracy & that he was tough. Dude was always willing to hang in there & deliver the ball & subsequently take that lick he knew was coming...lots of guys even today just won't do that.

One of the prettiest throwers of the ball I've ever watched though.

I don't think he was "special" per se, b/c I believe he only really thrived in offenses that wanted to push the ball down the field & he needed certain types of players around him to really be a force. That's why he was dominant in Martz' GSOT track meet scheme, flopped with Coughlin's grind it out power football offense and then was just what the doctor ordered in Arians' down field throwing offense. What separated him was his accuracy & that he was tough. Dude was always willing to hang in there & deliver the ball & subsequently take that lick he knew was coming...lots of guys even today just won't do that.

One of the prettiest throwers of the ball I've ever watched though.

Whisenhunt was the Cards HC not Arians

Hall of Fame player is not special. lol Talent evaluation is not for everyone, I guess. :whistle:

Wound up having a special career, he the player wasn't..not really. He just managed to make the roster as back up to a more talented guy and lady luck blessed him. With the weapons those GSOT teams had, we just as easily could've been talking about Trent Green instead of Warner were it not for the injury.

But you don't need me to tell you that, 32 other teams with well-qualified talent evaluators also thought the same of him back in the 90's when he was drafted...err, not drafted.

Well, that's pretty much why I started this thread. Can you tell me what was special about him?
Are you saying he wasn't and that he shouldn't be in the Hall? Go look at some of the QBs that are in. What was special about Bradshaw? Or Namath or Stabler for that matter? Yeah I get different game back then but still. Those guys barely completed half their passes, and Namath and Stabler have more career INT than TD. 47 more in Namath's case.

Warner was one of the 1st ones to get the new passing era that we see now, off and running. He not only led the league in completion percentage for 3 straight seasons, he led in Y/A those same 3 seasons. That's pretty remarkable in and of itself. Warner had 3 of the top 4 yardage games in a Super Bowl before Brady took the top 2 spots recently. He was a toe tap away from a 2nd SB win.

Those Rams teams were blowing up offensive records. Sure, he had the monster run game, and some big time receivers, but he sure wasn't doing anything to bring that down, if not significantly enhancing it.

I don't know what your definition of special is, but Warner is certainly worthy of being in Canton. Plus he beat the Titans in the SB. Can never thank him enough for that.

Last edited:
Are you saying he wasn't and that he shouldn't be in the Hall
Not at all. I started this thread noting he was special.

My contention is that it wasn’t the physical gifts that made him special. It’s more about that fighter inside that never gave up.

He did the best he could in every situation, sometimes that got him undrafted & unsigned, other times backing up a not so special Trent green. Sometimes Super Bowl MVP, sometimes a washed up back up to Eli Manning. Etc, etc...

He is an awesome NFL story & why I love the NFL.

Back