Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

June Jones?

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
With the success of the Roughnecks, would June Jones make a good coach again for the NFL, and specifically our team? His past numbers don’t look that great, but he seems to be doing well in just the short time he’s been back in the saddle. Can time, and the advances, or changes in the style of the way the game is played, get an ‘old dog’ to do new tricks?

Thoughts?

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
He is 67 years old. I didn't used to think that was old, but these days I do. His time has passed him by.
Did a quick search and Bruce Arians and Bill Belichick (both 67), and Pete Carroll (68), seem to be handling the age thing pretty good as far as that's concerned. So age doesn't seem to be a factor.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Did a quick search and Bruce Arians and Bill Belichick (both 67), and Pete Carroll (68), seem to be handling the age thing pretty good as far as that's concerned. So age doesn't seem to be a factor.
Those guys are the 2 longest tenured HC's in the league...Belichick got hired by Kraft when he was in his early 40's..Pete got hired when he was in his late 50's.

bigmck

Rookie
Those guys are the 2 longest tenured HC's in the league...Belichick got hired by Kraft when he was in his early 40's..Pete got hired when he was in his late 50's.
So.......Are you saying time has NOT passed my by. (grin)

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
No. June Jones proved his stupidity when he was with the Oilers. Cal McNair, but not June Jones.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
you're as young as you feel my man...I know 60 year olds that still run just as much as i do.
Yep. My 70 year old father runs more weekly than all of his sons combined. He looks at us and says, "it's the steroids in all that BBQ you guys eat."

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Jones was having a good run but that was as much about the other coaches sucking than it was him being so good. The XFL was custom made for aggressive style play calling so it fit him to a T. The other coaches were playing a more traditional style of conservative football that you see in he NFL. Even still I was figuring another game or two and teams would have figured out how to beat them. I was just hoping to get that 6th win to lock in the number one seed before it happened.

Yes the Roughnecks were out scoring everybody but they were also getting points hung around their necks more than anybody as well. Also keep in mind in the XFL there was no coach challenges and with only a 10 minute halftime teams couldn’t make many mid game changes.

Personally I thought the XFL would be an amazing fit for OB. HC is by default also the GM, no coach challenges to worry about, everyone is doing dumb plays that no NFL coach would even consider, most QBs are pocket passers and 90% of the players are just happy to get another chance to play so they tend to toe the line.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
And they both had prior unsuccessful head coaching tenures prior to their latest success. Belichick in Cleveland and Carroll in NY Jets.

Last edited:

Toro Bravo

Rookie
With the success of the Roughnecks, would June Jones make a good coach again for the NFL, and specifically our team? His past numbers don’t look that great, but he seems to be doing well in just the short time he’s been back in the saddle. Can time, and the advances, or changes in the style of the way the game is played, get an ‘old dog’ to do new tricks?

Thoughts?
I like June Jones and think he would make a great HC - certainly better than the dictator we currently have. His offenses are always innovative, exciting and score a lot of points. Wouldn't that be refreshing?
How many of you who are criticizing the run N shoot have actually seen it? or are you just basing your opinion on someone else's opinion (lookin at you Buddy).
Warren Moon had a pretty good career with his offense, based on Mouse Davis run N shoot. And despite what some believe, the running game will accel in a June Jones offense because it spreads the defense.
At this point, I will take just about any decent coach over BOB.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Teams could incorporate more spin-off type of offenses from the original Run-N-Shoot simply b/c the offensive talent pool is tremendously different in both size and speed in today's game. It's a new world out there and where the original RNS offenses relied on WR's exclusively.....the TE's of today could give the RNS a much needed wrinkle.....2 TE/3 WR and 1 TE/3 WR sets could become the norm since TE's could be just as effective as WR's b/c of their size and speed. A modified Run-N-Shoot is very doable in today's pass happy NFL. Hell, the QB's and receivers back then never had it so good.....back in Moon's day, QB's could get cracked just about any time and especially when sliding. Receivers were open game for targeting, spearing and late hits. In today's NFL, this isn't happening anymore.

Last edited:

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I like June Jones and think he would make a great HC - certainly better than the dictator we currently have. His offenses are always innovative, exciting and score a lot of points. Wouldn't that be refreshing?
How many of you who are criticizing the run N shoot have actually seen it? or are you just basing your opinion on someone else's opinion (lookin at you Buddy).
Warren Moon had a pretty good career with his offense, based on Mouse Davis run N shoot. And despite what some believe, the running game will accel in a June Jones offense because it spreads the defense.
At this point, I will take just about any decent coach over BOB.
i'd prefer Spurrier.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Teams could incorporate more spin-off type of offenses from the original Run-N-Shoot simply b/c the offensive talent pool is tremendously different in both size and speed in today's game. It's a new world out there and where the original RNS offenses relied on WR's exclusively.....the TE's of today could give the RNS a much needed wrinkle.....2 TE/3 WR and 1 TE/3 WR sets could become the norm since TE's could be just as effective as WR's b/c of their size and speed. A modified Run-N-Shoot is very doable in today's pass happy NFL. Hell, the QB's and receivers back then never had it so good.....back in Moon's day, QB's could get cracked just about any time and especially when sliding. Receivers were open game for targeting, spearing and late hits. In today's NFL, this isn't happening anymore.
I agree, especially if you have an athletic QB with a good arm. You spread out the defense with the R&S, and running lanes become wide open for some great gains on the ground.

The inherent problem with the R&S, at least from our experiences with the Oilers, was that it could never run a ball control offense when required. No FB and no TE meant that it was obvious when the offense needed to ground and pound the clock. So they have to keep passing (which is how you blow a 33 point lead in less than two quarters).

But, like you said, a modified version could work with the right personnel and a coach that knows how to run it and has good clock management. Obviously, I'm not talking about King Billy.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
But what happens to the 12 TEs we have, plus the 2 we're about to draft?
Convert them to WR's and run the R&S Jumbo package

But seriously - the TE position has changed quite a bit, Kelce would work in an R&S scheme and lot's of teams don't carry/use a FB these days... this isn't the same NFL as when the Oilers tried it, no idea if it would work but I definitely think an innovator could use the concepts and make an NFL offense that adheres pretty close to the R&S principles in today's already pass-happy league.