Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ Watt retiring from retiring

It's time. I will never forget the look on Andy Dalton's face when Watt snatched that pass out of the air and ran it back for a touchdown. Just looked at everyone around him like "Seriously?" It was one of the few times I saw that same look of disbelief on a players face that I first saw back as a kid when Earl Campbell would do something amazing. It really took me back to that time and feeling. Like I was seeing something rare and amazing happen.

He needs to be signed to a one-day contract so he can retire as a Texan.

JJ belongs with Earl, Hakeem and Nolan on the Houston Mount Rushmore.

Good for him - retire on a high note.
One of my favorite NFL players of all time.

It's time. I will never forget the look on Andy Dalton's face when Watt snatched that pass out of the air and ran it back for a touchdown. Just looked at everyone around him like "Seriously?" It was one of the few times I saw that same look of disbelief on a players face that I first saw back as a kid when Earl Campbell would do something amazing. It really took me back to that time and feeling. Like I was seeing something rare and amazing happen.
Unforgettable. It was like the moment that made the whole league sit up and take notice that he had arrived and was a force to be reckoned with.

One of the greatest players and humanitarians ever to grace the NFL with his presence. The Texans have announced plans to "celebrate his legacy" soon, and rightly so. Here's a trip down the 2014 memory lane:
Damn, JJ was so fast, agile and athletic for his size. I forgot just how much so until seeing that video. Great times watching him in his prime. It was must see watching JJ play back then.

Curious if roughly this time a year from now we don't see a rested/refreshed and healthy JJ make a comeback for a legit contender to make one last timely run at the thing that's eluded him throughout his otherwise stellar career..

Can't say I'd hate to see it..

It never ceases to amaze me that ownership allowed the face of the franchise and greatest Texan, and one of the greatest players in history, to leave. It's like Cal chose BOB and Jack over JJ. Watt leaving the Texans is equivalent to Nolan Ryan leaving the Astros over a contract dispute.
He needs to retire a Texan to insure he will be the second Texan in the HOF. Make it happen Cal!!!
Good luck JJ. It was a pleasure to watch you play.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me that ownership allowed the face of the franchise and greatest Texan, and one of the greatest players in history, to leave. It's like Cal chose BOB and Jack over JJ. Watt leaving the Texans is equivalent to Nolan Ryan leaving the Astros over a contract dispute.
He needs to retire a Texan to insure he will be the second Texan in the HOF. Make it happen Cal!!!

Pretty sure he requested his release after OB was fired. Did not want to be part of a rebuild. Ultimately he chose the wrong team to chase a title run with but he saw the writing on the wall with this franchise.

Pretty sure he requested his release after OB was fired. Did not want to be part of a rebuild. Ultimately he chose the wrong team to chase a title run with but he saw the writing on the wall with this franchise.
You're correct. But I can't help but think he saw the same disfunction that Desean did, and also wanted out.

O’Brien and Easterby decimated the cap such that it was impossible to keep Watt’s $17 million salary and still field a team. There was no option for the Texans or Watt.

You're correct. But I can't help but think he saw the same disfunction that Desean did, and also wanted out.

Deshaun saw disfunction?

Deshaun created disfunction!

Or are we not talking about the Deshaun Watson who had 25+ sexual assault allegations, had to settle those cases out of court, and had to serve an 11 game suspension?

Never really got the whole 1-day contract retirement thing. Just 100% made up fluff as far as I can reckon.

And not that there's anything particularly wrong or negative with that. I don't think it's a bad or detrimental thing of course. I just don't get the actual appeal of something so transparently manufactured.

His time to enter into the Texans ring of honor, and more importantly when he enters the Hall of Fame as a Texan, now those are things that feel genuinely earned and meaningfully substantial. Those are the things that JJ and this organization and the fanbase can take real appreciation and joy in and look forward to.

All jmo of course, don't mean to ruffle anyone honestly.

Never really got the whole 1-day contract retirement thing. Just 100% made up fluff as far as I can reckon.

I agree completely. But, then again, I'm not big into dog and pony shows.

And not that there's anything particularly wrong or negative with that. I don't think it's a bad or detrimental thing of course. I just don't get the actual appeal of something so transparently manufactured.

His time to enter into the Texans ring of honor, and more importantly when he enters the Hall of Fame as a Texan, now those are things that feel genuinely earned and meaningfully substantial. Those are the things that JJ and this organization and the fanbase can take real appreciation and joy in and look forward to.

Yep. I always figured it was just a marketing ploy (which it is), but it never did anything for me. To each his own, tho'.

If it makes JJ happy, then make it happen. No sweat off my back.

I like that teams do this. Sure it's ceremonial, pomp and circumstance, etc. But it's a nice segue to introducing him into the ring of honor in front of the fans, sort of a homecoming and potentially retiring his number and eventually the HOF as you mentioned. jmo

Back