Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ Watt Appreciation

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Firstly this is not a "pipe dream" but based on work/life balance development for JJ and a definite NEED for the Bears.

His wife was just traded 2 the Chicago Red Stars by the Houston Dash. I looked it up and all the guarantee'd money is all paid out on his contract, and I know that O'brian traded away Clowney for a bag of chips so this could really be happening guys.

DO u really think he will still be a Texans at $15,000,000 per year? Cause I don't

His health aint what it used to be. But I think if he gives da Bears a wife-town discount maybe he could play out his years here in Chitown - he wouldn't have to do as much because we have BEASTS on the line with him in Akeim Hicks/Eddie Goldman and KAHILIL MACK.

What I'd like to know is what would it take for Obrian to part ways with the face of the Franchise even though he's old and can't play as many games a season anymore?

Would Texans fans be mad about it?
I dunno if Green Bay has a womens soccer team but if they did and Watts girlfriend was traded to this imaginary Green Bay soccer team I could see a possibility for the Texans moving Watt to the Packers but not another NFL franchise, and certainly not a Packers division rival like the Bears unless Watt would surprise us all and threaten to retire if not traded to Chitown.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
I dunno if Green Bay has a womens soccer team but if they did and Watts girlfriend was traded to this imaginary Green Bay soccer team I could see a possibility for the Texans moving Watt to the Packers but not another NFL franchise, and certainly not a Packers division rival like the Bears unless Watt would surprise us all and threaten to retire if not traded to Chitown.
Chicago is 3 hours from Green Bay and even much closer to the Wisconson border, so it the idea is to be close to home Chicago is not silly as it sounds.

Watt is on record saying he is not going to play forever, so Watt going Luke Kuechly at any time, for any reason is my personal expectation.

craneman

Practice Squad
Firstly this is not a "pipe dream" but based on work/life balance development for JJ and a definite NEED for the Bears.

His wife was just traded 2 the Chicago Red Stars by the Houston Dash. I looked it up and all the guarantee'd money is all paid out on his contract, and I know that O'brian traded away Clowney for a bag of chips so this could really be happening guys.

DO u really think he will still be a Texans at $15,000,000 per year? Cause I don't

His health aint what it used to be. But I think if he gives da Bears a wife-town discount maybe he could play out his years here in Chitown - he wouldn't have to do as much because we have BEASTS on the line with him in Akeim Hicks/Eddie Goldman and KAHILIL MACK.

What I'd like to know is what would it take for Obrian to part ways with the face of the Franchise even though he's old and can't play as many games a season anymore?

Would Texans fans be mad about it?
He has not been the player he has been, it maybe time....we have to do something.Make him a defence coordinator!!

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Chicago is 3 hours from Green Bay and even much closer to the Wisconson border, so it the idea is to be close to home Chicago is not silly as it sounds.

Watt is on record saying he is not going to play forever, so Watt going Luke Kuechly at any time, for any reason is my personal expectation.
But don't you think Kuechly kinda bowed out quietly, and that's not Watts style is it ?

RGV82

Random guy
I am surprised that this is even being discussed. JJ Watt is not going to Chicago. No chance. At all. With all the money they are paying Mack, do you really think they could afford Watt? He would not relocate to Chicago, take a huge pay cut, just to be closer to his wife. Zach Ertzs wife also plays on the same team as JJ Watts wife. This idea of Watt being traded to Chicago is preposterous.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
But don't you think Kuechly kinda bowed out quietly, and that's not Watts style is it ?
Watt might have a bigger press conference, but it is just possible he wakes one random day and retires. That was the point not it would more showy or not.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I am surprised that this is even being discussed. JJ Watt is not going to Chicago. No chance. At all. With all the money they are paying Mack, do you really think they could afford Watt? He would not relocate to Chicago, take a huge pay cut, just to be closer to his wife. Zach Ertzs wife also plays on the same team as JJ Watts wife. This idea of Watt being traded to Chicago is preposterous.
Seriously. Kealia being traded and the Texans making a personnel move with JJ aren't actually connected.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
This is a stupid thread and it should be deleted. At the very least it should be moved to the nfl forum as it is more of a free agency nature then specific to the texans.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
After the Packers showing yesterday on defense......I think the Texans could open conversations with GB should Watt give them the yellow & green light. The Bears would be a no go since they still can't get past the Packers.

Wolf

100% Texan
Off topic

JJ will be on saturday night live feb 1st.

I just need to dvr it being i dont watch SNL and so i can see JJ's skits

RGV82

Random guy
Off topic

JJ will be on saturday night live feb 1st.

I just need to dvr it being i dont watch SNL and so i can see JJ's skits
Oh wow! I just googled it, and not only is he on SNL, but he is hosting it. Luke Combs is the musical guest. This should be an awesome show.

RGV82

Random guy
I know this has already been mentioned in another thread, but thought it deserved its own thread, just so all Texans fans here don't miss it!

JJ Watt is hosting the show Feb 1st, with musical guest Luke Combs.

This will be.... interesting!

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Yea I'd say Watt has the chance of another career after the NFL, and for all we know this could be the beginning of it ?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Hope they lean in hard to his over the top chase greatness Twitter persona.

Like I wanna see a skit where somehow he's running around with a rifle somewhere literally chasing and hunting 'greatness'.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I already can't get back watching 2 Broke Girls or whatever that crap show was he was on a couple of years ago. Now I've got to watch SNL for the 1st time since, well, Eddie Murphy, which wasn't all that great.

Seriously though, he and Peyton need to have some kind of show together. Peyton's hilarious. I think that could be some good watching.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
I already can't get back watching 2 Broke Girls or whatever that crap show was he was on a couple of years ago. Now I've got to watch SNL for the 1st time since, well, Eddie Murphy, which wasn't all that great.

Seriously though, he and Peyton need to have some kind of show together. Peyton's hilarious. I think that could be some good watching.
You said you haven't watched in a while (since Eddie) and find Peyton funny - watch the Peyton hosted SNL's (he has done it multiple times) or at least Google Peyton Manning SNL skits... hi..lar..i..ous

deucetx

Rookie
Just a little something I saw floating around in one of the sports groups I am in to appreciate Watt's play on the field with. Despite the naysayers or those who which to remind us he isn't what he use to be the guy still shows up ready to work and put the effort in to reach for success. Even a Watt that is no longer in his prime is still better than a lot of players in this league.

Watt.PNG

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

You didn't think the recent SNL show with Eddie Murphy was very good ?Wow I thought it was tremendous. IMO Murphy is a funny guy
with some classic characters. After so many years I really enjoyed seeing him again.

MightyTExan

It's go time!
I may be over-thinking this but...
Athletes usually host SNL in the prime of their career, just won a superbowl or after they're retired. The timing seems a little strange to me. Is JJ really that popular outside of Houston? Or is he going to retire?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
You didn't think the recent SNL show with Eddie Murphy was very good ?Wow I thought it was tremendous. IMO Murphy is a funny guy
with some classic characters. After so many years I really enjoyed seeing him again.
It was pretty much the same stuff he did 25 years ago or however long it was. I mean, it was really funny back then, and I guess it was cool to see it live again, but pretty much old material.

RGV82

Random guy
Hope they lean in hard to his over the top chase greatness Twitter persona.

Like I wanna see a skit where somehow he's running around with a rifle somewhere literally chasing and hunting 'greatness'.
I wonder how much they are going to work his NFL player status into the show....
I’ll wait until the good bits make it onto social media, like this website. I’m not interested in watching an entire episode of SNL, or any other late night political show masquerading as entertainment television.
:cheese::cheese:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
It was pretty much the same stuff he did 25 years ago or however long it was. I mean, it was really funny back then, and I guess it was cool to see it live again, but pretty much old material.
Why would he do anything but his classic characters which made him a comic genius (some said) ?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I've always wanted to see him in a 4-3 front. I do think he'd do just fine as a dt. Even if you argue he's better as a strong side de in a 4-3 I'd agree. I think his career sack numbers would be dramatically increased if we regularly rushed 4. I kinda feel like he's been squandered.

MeatBear77

Rookie
Hey guys I don't know if u have heard but This coming saturday (not 2day but the one after next Friday) Justin Jimmy Watt is gon' be hosting SNL Live from New York!

I'm pretty pumped because 1. I'm a huge JJ Watt fan 2. I haven't seen SNL for a while because I was getting sick of mixing politics with comedy but now it's football/politics/comedy coming 2gether so should be a good time.

What skits do u think they will feature him in? I hope they have him play Mike Pompeo or something like that where he gets asked a question by a reporter and then sacks him or something LOL

PS Luke Combs will also be on the show 4 any of u guys who r into country western music (YUCK)

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Hey guys I don't know if u have heard but This coming saturday (not 2day but the one after next Friday) Justin Jimmy Watt is gon' be hosting SNL Live from New York!

I'm pretty pumped because 1. I'm a huge JJ Watt fan 2. I haven't seen SNL for a while because I was getting sick of mixing politics with comedy but now it's football/politics/comedy coming 2gether so should be a good time.

What skits do u think they will feature him in? I hope they have him play Mike Pompeo or something like that where he gets asked a question by a reporter and then sacks him or something LOL

PS Luke Combs will also be on the show 4 any of u guys who r into country western music (YUCK)
There's a thread for that if you'd look... it's on the front page

MeatBear77

Rookie
JJ Watt hosting SNL... was your post about something different?
I only use the "what's new" button I don't go 2 "pages" buddy so I'm not sure how 2 find what u r going off on me about.

A mod moved my post 2 this thread so if u r going 2 be mad about it, be mad at them not me.

thx

RGV82

Random guy
I may be over-thinking this but...
Athletes usually host SNL in the prime of their career, just won a superbowl or after they're retired. The timing seems a little strange to me. Is JJ really that popular outside of Houston? Or is he going to retire?
JJ Watt has had endorsements with American Family Insurance, NRG, Reebok, Gatorade, H-E-B, Ford, Verizon, etc.... so I think he is well known across the country. With all his charity work as well, I think he is a big name outside of Houston.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’ll wait until the good bits make it onto social media, like this website. I’m not interested in watching an entire episode of SNL, or any othe r late night political show masquerading as entertainment television.
Yep, I stopped watching SNL for this reason yrs ago. Sorry I missed the Murphy episode though.

Reactions: JB

RGV82

Random guy
Well that SNL with JJ Watt last night was somewhat disappointing. The pizza skit at the end was kinda funny, but the rest of the show was pretty blah. The weekend update is way too long, lasted almost 20 minutes.

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
Random thought that I've been thinking about. JJ Watt has not had the career of Bruce Smith or Reggie White overall but I feel like when he was in his prime he was even better than both of those guys and this is coming from someone who watched both of those guys very closely growing up they were my 2 favorites. I was always obsessed with the DE position, loved playing that position and loved watching it. I feel like peak Watt was better than Smith and White because Watt never had the surrounding cast around him that Bruce and Reggie had.

Teams didn't have the luxury of concentrating on Bruce Smith or Reggie White the way teams did/do JJ because look at who else they had to deal with on those defenses. Reggie in his prime with the Eagles had Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, and Jerome Brown around him with Eric Allen in the secondary. Then in Green Bay later he was surrounded by Sean Jones, Gilbert Brown, Santana Dotson with a secondary that had Leroy Butler and Eugene Robinson. And with Bruce Smith on the Bills youre talking Leon Seals, Cornelius Bennett, Daryl Talley.

Had JJ had talent around him on defense like that who knows what he could have done or how much longer his prime might have been. As much as I love Reader and Mercilus and Mckinney those guys are just nowhere near the level of some of the talent that White and Smith had around them on those units all those years. Even without the supporting cast like what Smith and White had JJ was doing things in his peak that those guys weren't doing. So yes, seeing what I seen and knowing what I know I do feel like JJ in his prime was the best defensive end to ever play the game.