Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

JJ is Coming Home

I remember my son 11 years ago, at age 5, coming to me and saying "I wasn't born in Cincinnati, was I dad?".
I told him again that he was born in Texas, San Antonio to be exact and asked why he was asking.
He told me he wasn't a Bengals fan anymore and that he was now a Texans fan.
I told him that's great and to follow any team that he wants, but to stay true to your team just as I have with the Bengals.
I then said, if you are going to follow the Texans, you have to have a favorite player. "Who is your favorite Texan?"

The answer came with great ease. "JJ Watt !!"

From that point on, I too, have been a fan of the Texans and JJ Watt. We have been to Houston multiple times to see the Texans play and it has become a yearly tradition of ours to go to Indy when the Texans come to town and see the game. In 2017, at the Bengals/Texans Monday Night Game in Cincinnati, JJ was out throwing the ball back and forth to kids in the stands. He saw my son in his Watt jersey and threw the ball his way. My son caught the ball and at that time, JJ told him keep it and gave him a thumbs up. That ball is now in a case on his shelf. A couple years later, he took the ball to Indy with him to try to get a signature, so of course I did my best and got him right down by the Texans visiting tunnel. Instead of getting a signature from JJ, he got a pair of gloves and another football from him. Those are in another case on the shelf in his room.

Needless to say, JJ has played a big role in our family and in my relationship with my son. We have supported much of what he has done personally and will be planning on making the trip down for that game in October. My son and I will both be cheering loudly that game.

Thanks JJ and congrats, well deserved !!

I'm not a fan of one day contracts and all that stuff. It's nice that he's going to be in the ring of honor along with AJ and Bob McNair but the rest of this is just sales and marketing BS. He should have never left. I was all for letting him go chase a ring until I saw where he was signing and then thought "OK JJ, sure thing".

I took my [then] 10 yo son and best friend to the Texans first playoff game (a game that some of us thought might never happen back then! lol).

We were in the nosebleeds on the endzone where JJ caught that pick 6 and Andre Johnson caught his first postseason TD.

That place was so freakin' loud!! It was magical as a football fan, and something my son still talks about and vividly remembers today.

It's like one of those old VISA commercials about how much this cost, that cost, but the experience itself? Priceless.

Tailgating with Blue Crew after the game was an absolute blast. It was pure fan joy. A collective happiness that doesn't come along that often for Houston football fans.

And then we left, got on the train, and watched two drunk Texans fans start fighting each other. lol

But the cool part was all the other Texans fans forming a wall between my son and the fight. They went in to full "dad protection" mode, and it honestly made me proud of my fellow citizens.

But back on point, I love JJ being a part of that experience, and him being a rare celebrity role model that both loved being that role and living a life that is worthy of that respect.

Much love to JJ Watt! I'll love looking to the Ring of Honor and seeing his name up there. 99 might not be retired, but I dare anyone to wear that number in a Houston Texans uniform. Those are massive shoes to fill.

So it's a no to the hokey one-day contract thingy..

Good. That never made sense anyway.

We were in the nosebleeds on the endzone where JJ caught that pick 6

Yep. My seats were row 1 in 547, right between the uprights, and in the end zone JJ returned it for 6. At games, I never went to the restroom while the Texans were on offense and unfortunately for me, that series was the time to go and I was standing in the restroom line when it happened.

So does this mean he will not retire as a Texan? If he goes to the HOF will he also not be listed as a Texan?

He'll simply retire as JJ Watt.

And it's not like the MLB HoF where guys go in with a ballcap on representing a team they played for. It's just a bronze bust of the player in general. I'd hazard a guess that he'll mention the organization in his acceptance speech though.

Here's Shannon Sharpe's HOF bust. You can see the list of teams he played for and the years he played for them at the bottom. I don't think the one day, retire as a blank, contracts are taken into account.

f85487e7cae13abd3e3370a66d795751.jpg

Not to mention more years of what JJ did off the field here than elsewhere for his time in the NFL.

Here's Shannon Sharpe's HOF bust. You can see the list of teams he played for and the years he played for them at the bottom. I don't think the one day, retire as a blank, contracts are taken into account.

f85487e7cae13abd3e3370a66d795751.jpg
Can't wait to see JJ go into the HOF. I live half an hour north of the NFL HOF. I will definitely be at that induction ceremony. I'll be at AJ's too, once he's inducted.

I took my [then] 10 yo son and best friend to the Texans first playoff game (a game that some of us thought might never happen back then! lol).

We were in the nosebleeds on the endzone where JJ caught that pick 6 and Andre Johnson caught his first postseason TD.

That place was so freakin' loud!! It was magical as a football fan, and something my son still talks about and vividly remembers today.

It's like one of those old VISA commercials about how much this cost, that cost, but the experience itself? Priceless.

Tailgating with Blue Crew after the game was an absolute blast. It was pure fan joy. A collective happiness that doesn't come along that often for Houston football fans.

And then we left, got on the train, and watched two drunk Texans fans start fighting each other. lol

But the cool part was all the other Texans fans forming a wall between my son and the fight. They went in to full "dad protection" mode, and it honestly made me proud of my fellow citizens.

But back on point, I love JJ being a part of that experience, and him being a rare celebrity role model that both loved being that role and living a life that is worthy of that respect.

Much love to JJ Watt! I'll love looking to the Ring of Honor and seeing his name up there. 99 might not be retired, but I dare anyone to wear that number in a Houston Texans uniform. Those are massive shoes to fill.

Was that when you and Jungle Bob had season tickets in the 500s?

Back