Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jets trade Sam Darnold to Panthers

Jez what a paltry haul for Arnold ! Really surprised the Jets couldn't get more value for him ?
With such a meager investment needed to acquire Arnold this tells me the Panthers, now owned by Wall Streel billionaire David Tepper, remain on board as a potential trading partner with the Texans for DW4.

Jez what a paltry haul for Arnold ! Really surprised the Jets couldn't get more value for him ?
With such a meager investment needed to acquire Arnold this tells me the Panthers, now owned by Wall Streel billionaire David Tepper, remain on board as a potential trading partner with the Texans for DW4.
Agreed. Doesn't sound like Carolina is thinking they're trading for a starter. & to think I'd have accepted Darnold as the equivalent of a 2021 1st

Independent of the Panthers trade, DW4 will not be in a position to be entertained for trade before the Draft.

Or probably after the draft either, since there's a good chance he will be watching NFL football from a jail cell. Atleast that's what I hope happens to him if he's found guilty.

As I mentioned earlier....if Watson is suspended for....lets say 4-6 games by the NFL, then the Texans would have a couple of options:

1. They could suspend him for the remainder of the season for conduct detrimental tot he team. Unfortunately, Watson probably gets this season on the books and leaves the Texans staring down his new 40M dollar payday for 2022. Not the best way to burn this season.

2. He comes off suspension and is invited back to workouts. He will not play but could be made available before the NFL Trade Deadline. In this scenario, the Texans stand the best chance to get their best return before the 2022 season starts. There's a good chance that some team with playoff aspirations could be in the mix and either has their starting QB go down or there's team who's really a QB away from being in the playoff mix. Texans wouldn't get the haul they should've got but they could get a respectable amount of picks for the 2022 (maybe 2023 as well) NFL Draft which could be pretty good since they're currently in possession of their prized picks.

If he goes to jail.....the Texans can null and void his contract and get in line with the others in trying to get their signing bonus returned. Watson's money will be gone as fast as he thought he had it......like burning the winning lottery ticket.

I'm hoping for the last scenario if he's convicted.

The middle scenario most likely wont happen due to salary cap issues. The Texans are most likely screwed when it comes to getting draft compensation for DW4. I suppose Miami has the cap space and if Tua isn't getting the job done they may be down for an oily Watson.

I'm hoping for the last scenario if he's convicted.

The middle scenario most likely wont happen due to salary cap issues. The Texans are most likely screwed when it comes to getting draft compensation for DW4. I suppose Miami has the cap space and if Tua isn't getting the job done they may be down for an oily Watson.
Here’s a scenario that I see and am unsure if it’s possible.

Watson gets the 4-6 game suspension this season, and then continues to be stubborn and refuses to play when able to return.

This allows the Texans to stop his contract from tolling for the year, gives time for the court proceedings to play out before the 22 draft.

Texans can then invalidate his new contract for conduct detrimental, allowing them to trade him with his 5th year option to anyone they choose. They will also likely have a chance to chase Watson for the signing bonus they paid cash. This is likely more important to Cal and Janice than the cap ramifications.

This could return the most value to the Texans as the team he moves to can structure his contract how they want, he’ll be a day one starter having moved beyond legal proceedings.

Here’s a scenario that I see and am unsure if it’s possible.

Watson gets the 4-6 game suspension this season, and then continues to be stubborn and refuses to play when able to return.

This allows the Texans to stop his contract from tolling for the year, gives time for the court proceedings to play out before the 22 draft.

Texans can then invalidate his new contract for conduct detrimental, allowing them to trade him with his 5th year option to anyone they choose. They will also likely have a chance to chase Watson for the signing bonus they paid cash. This is likely more important to Cal and Janice than the cap ramifications.

This could return the most value to the Texans as the team he moves to can structure his contract how they want, he’ll be a day one starter having moved beyond legal proceedings.

I believe the Texans could negotiate a cash payment for the money (signing bonus to date) given to Watson as part of he package and let his new team figure out how to handle this financially when they sit down with Watson.

If this were to play out, the Texans might get a decent return if, Watson has completed his suspension and he's now playing on his 5th year option while losing his NTC. Losing that NTC could have Watson out of the building by this years trade deadline.

One thing is for certain, Watson may want to sign a 4 year contract since the team receiving him probably wouldn't sign him for more than 20-25M per season for those 4 years. He can kiss that last windfall bye-bye. Watson will get another 4 years to play for his next contract and clean up his image.

It seems that poor Teddy Bridgewater can't catch a break at all. And in that over in once again. someone out stealing his job. Poor guy!

It seems that poor Teddy Bridgewater can't catch a break at all. And in that over in once again. someone out stealing his job. Poor guy!
I don't think Sam Darnold is ready to start over Bridgewater. The Panthers gave up nothing to get Darnold. He's in rehabilitation now.

I don't think Sam Darnold is ready to start over Bridgewater. The Panthers gave up nothing to get Darnold. He's in rehabilitation now.

The Panthers have given Bridgewater permission to seek a trade.

I cant wait to see what Joe Brady can do with Darnold. Darnold has talent but played for a crappy HC/OC and had very little talent around him. I call this the Jim Plunkett syndrome.

With the Panthers, if they add a LT at pick 8 their OL should be solid and their are weapons at Darnold's disposal that he could've only dreamed of with the NYJ's. McCaffery/Moore/Anderson. Yep, that will work.

The Panthers have given Bridgewater permission to seek a trade.

I cant wait to see what Joe Brady can do with Darnold. Darnold has talent but played for a crappy HC/OC and had very little talent around him. I call this the Jim Plunkett syndrome.

With the Panthers, if they add a LT at pick 8 their OL should be solid and their are weapons at Darnold's disposal that he could've only dreamed of with the NYJ's. McCaffery/Moore/Anderson. Yep, that will work.

They'd become a different team with LT- Christian Darrisaw, VA Tech manning the left side. I believe it would pay off nicely for both Darnold and McCaffrey.

They'd become a different team with LT- Christian Darrisaw, VA Tech manning the left side. I believe it would pay off nicely for both Darnold and McCaffrey.

If Darrisaw learns to play hard every down, he could be on the level of Sewell.

I see Darrisaw as an Eric Fisher type LT.

Last edited:
Back