Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jags hire Urban Meyer (Fired Dec 15)

Apparently it's wrong of me to even have a bar. :rake:

That's alright, tho'. Even the most optimistic Texans fans will have to deal with reality at some point.

That we are trying to make ourselves feel better because a crappy franchise like the Jags is doing worse says it all. Welcome to Detroit, TX.
Wait, now hold on just a damn minute. You're telling me that all this time we've been Lions South and not Patriots South?

And hard to take you seriously when you say 'Nothing prepares you for the job.' I'd say being higher up the coaching ladder than a position coach for three+ decades could be a good place to start.
My point is even those guys screw up their first few years. Kubiak.

Texian goes into mourning.

No, I'm not in mourning, just thought with his pedigree (one of the most successful college coaches ever) would've done better. So, I got it wrong. Wasn't the first, won't be the last. I still like the Meyer hire over the Culley hire because it had a much higher ceiling.
So who's the bigger mess, the Jags or Texans? :lol:
Texans are the bigger mess. Jags knew they made a mistake and cut their losses ASAP. Smart thing to do. It will likely take Texans, Cal McNair 3 to 5 years to do what Jags did after 13 games.

A Statement from Shad Khan

Darrell Bevell will serve as interim head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars for the balance of the 2021 season. Darrell succeeds Urban Meyer. After deliberation over many weeks and a thorough analysis of the entirety of Urban's tenure with our team, I am bitterly disappointed to arrive at the conclusion that an immediate change is imperative for everyone. I informed Urban of the change this evening. As I stated in October, regaining our trust and respect was essential. Regrettably, it did not happen.
Trent Baalke continues as our general manager and will work with Darrell to ensure that our team will be inspired and competitive while representing Jacksonville proudly over our final four games of the season. In the spirit of closure and recharging our players, staff and fan base, I will not comment further until some point following the conclusion of the NFL season.

You could have just stopped with "Culley has done nothing this season".

I never said anything about a hot seat. That would indicate that the owner expects something more than a two win season from this coach.

And hard to take you seriously when you say 'Nothing prepares you for the job.' I'd say being higher up the coaching ladder than a position coach for three+ decades could be a good place to start.

By all means, praise the wonderful accomplishments of the "3 C's". I look forward to your gushing analysis. This place needs more sunshine.

Embrace year one of the rebuild.

At least Shad Khan is somewhat cognizant of the negative impact of a shitty head coach on his franchise. Good for him.

Cal McNair is still working on that, and by "that" I mean comprehending the definition of cognizant.

Instead, we get another 'mulligan' season in 2022 of the Culley follies with a treading water "placeholder" and the ever persistent promise that "the rebuild starts next year".

You could have a staff full of Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, and anyone else of your liking and you would just be putting lip stick on a turd.

This is a bad team. No real talent.

Coaching helps, but it ain’t gonna make miracles. You want to add an extra win or two? For what?

For glory! To tell people we won 4 games and not 2?

I am surprised we won 2 games.

All joking aside this is why college success for coaches does not automatically mean NFL success. In college the difference between a D1 school and a D3 is night and day. In the NFL even the difference between say Detroit and Arizona isn’t so huge that it’s an automatic win for the better team. It’s why upsets happen all the time. Like one person said Meyer learned coaching in the NFL is like having to play against Alabama every week.

This is why I also don’t think Dabo will, or should, take an NFL HC job. Clemson owes a huge part of its success to the fact that all the best athletes want to play there, or at least are considering it, so you can pack your roster in a way that NFL rules are designed to stop. Why destroy your legacy and legend as one of the greatest college coaches just to maybe have success as an NFL coach?

I would feel sorry for Meyer if he was fired just because he didn’t have immediate success but in reality it was the off field stuff that did it. Owners will give leeway even if the team is losing if the coach is being what they want off field, see Culley, or they will ignore a lot of off field issues if the team is winning. But bad on field plus bad off field is pretty much a guarantee to being fired.

Urban-Meyer3.jpg

Back