Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jags hire Urban Meyer (Fired Dec 15)

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
Doesn’t bode well if Meyer and Lawerence end up to be the real deal. We’d better hope like heck we can keep Watson or we will be staring at multiple 4 win seasons into the foreseeable future. My thought is gotta make it work with Watson and cut cut cut the rest of the overpaid players And hit on all our draft pics we still have to try build around him. Don’t buy Tenn long term and Indy needs QB.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
This just seems like it's going to be a big fail. How many of these high profile college coaches actually do well at the NFL level? I can see this going more the way of Nick Saban in Miami over Jimmy Johnson in Dallas.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I hate to root against people. I like Urban Myer. I like for kids like Trevor Lawrence to live up to their hype more than not.

But I’ll still be rooting against the Jaguars.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This just seems like it's going to be a big fail. How many of these high profile college coaches actually do well at the NFL level? I can see this going more the way of Nick Saban in Miami over Jimmy Johnson in Dallas.
ah,
But he has refined his skills by being analyst on Fox Sports. That's a guarantee to get you to the playoffs right?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I don't see Meyer as a PJ Fleck rah rah type or a gimmicky Spurrier type. He seems by most any account to be a down to earth winner that dudes of any age listen to. He was also far ahead of the curve offensively successfully ushering in a lot of the spread/tempo/rpo concepts we see so prevalently now.

I actually think he can lead a pro football team as long as the personnel are up to snuff (this goes for any coach really). My only concern if I were a Jags fan would be how he handles adversity. How he handles a losing streak - something he's unaccustomed to. Certainly his health is an ever present issue. Will he stick around?

And Nick Saban was hardly a failure in the NFL. 15-17 after taking over a talentless 4-12 doormat. Interesting to consider how things might have unfolded had the Dolphins signed Drew Brees like he wanted and they had lined up. Meanwhile QB talent is the first and foremost reason Meyer is in Florida again.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I don't see Meyer as a PJ Fleck rah rah type or a gimmicky Spurrier type. He seems by most any account to be a down to earth winner that dudes of any age listen to. He was also far ahead of the curve offensively successfully ushering in a lot of the spread/tempo/rpo concepts we see so prevalently now.

I actually think he can lead a pro football team as long as the personnel are up to snuff (this goes for any coach really). My only concern if I were a Jags fan would be how he handles adversity. How he handles a losing streak - something he's unaccustomed to. Certainly his health is an ever present issue. Will he stick around?

And Nick Saban was hardly a failure in the NFL. 15-17 after taking over a talentless 4-12 doormat. Interesting to consider how things might have unfolded had the Dolphins signed Drew Brees like he wanted and they had lined up. Meanwhile QB talent is the first and foremost reason Meyer is in Florida again.
Saban: I might still be Miami coach if we had signed Drew Brees (nfl.com)

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Doesn’t bode well if Meyer and Lawerence end up to be the real deal. We’d better hope like heck we can keep Watson or we will be staring at multiple 4 win seasons into the foreseeable future. My thought is gotta make it work with Watson and cut cut cut the rest of the overpaid players And hit on all our draft pics we still have to try build around him. Don’t buy Tenn long term and Indy needs QB.
Multiple 4 win seasons? You realize you can't count on the 2 wins over the Jags anymore, right?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
1st question, should Trevor Lawrence start in 2021?
Yes. College QBs are more NFL ready than ever before. As long as they can protect Lawrence reasonably. I think Meyers' offense tends to be ball control with short passes, so that will help initially. I see Lawrence a more athletic, better coached Justin Herbert. So he should be able to have early success, depending on the weapons available to him.

powerfuldragon

Enchilada Aficionado.
Urban will be fine.
https://clutchpoints.com/jaguars-news-urban-meyer-viewed-as-a-con-man-fraud-in-locker-room/

Via CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora:
“He’s not coming back from this,” said one league source who is very close to several players on the Jaguars team. “There wasn’t much confidence in him in that locker room before this went down. Now? It’s over. Guys are laughing at him. He’s lost any respect he may have had. They think he quit on them.”
The agent for another key Jaguars player said: “He is a laughingstock in that locker room right now. (My client) said he’s a con man. They think he’s a fraud. How do you not fly home with your team?”

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Urban Meyer could be gone if the Jaguars don’t beat the Texans
Despite recent reports that Meyer will finish out the season, people close to the situation tell me it will be sooner rather than later for the rookie head coach. “He could get fired this week,” a source said. “If the Jaguars lose to a terrible Houston team next Sunday, I don’t see him surviving.”
"The terrible Houston team " !
So we've got a showdown Sunday between the Giants, eh I mean the Dwarfs of the AFC South.
Even if we beat the Jags Sunday we still are still sitting as the #3 in Draft order I believe because that's the main thing I'm worried about
at this point in the season.
I dunno wonder if Meyer is really in that much trouble in Jacksonville ?

Boris

All Pro
where's Latrell Sprewell when you need him?

"I’m in a lunge position. Left leg forward, right leg back,” Lambo said. “... Urban Meyer, while I’m in that stretch position, comes up to me and says, ‘Hey Dips--t, make your f--king kicks!’ And kicks me in the leg.”

Lambo spoke for the first time publicly about what he said happened to him in an interview with the Tampa Bay Times.

“It certainly wasn’t as hard as he could’ve done it, but it certainly wasn’t a love tap,” Lambo said. “Truthfully, I’d register it as a five (out of 10). Which in the workplace, I don’t care if it’s football or not, the boss can’t strike an employee. And for a second, I couldn’t believe it actually happened. Pardon my vulgarity, I said, ‘Don’t you ever f--king kick me again!’ And his response was, ‘I’m the head ball coach, I’ll kick you whenever the f--k I want.’”

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
where's Latrell Sprewell when you need him?

"I’m in a lunge position. Left leg forward, right leg back,” Lambo said. “... Urban Meyer, while I’m in that stretch position, comes up to me and says, ‘Hey Dips--t, make your f--king kicks!’ And kicks me in the leg.”

Lambo spoke for the first time publicly about what he said happened to him in an interview with the Tampa Bay Times.

“It certainly wasn’t as hard as he could’ve done it, but it certainly wasn’t a love tap,” Lambo said. “Truthfully, I’d register it as a five (out of 10). Which in the workplace, I don’t care if it’s football or not, the boss can’t strike an employee. And for a second, I couldn’t believe it actually happened. Pardon my vulgarity, I said, ‘Don’t you ever f--king kick me again!’ And his response was, ‘I’m the head ball coach, I’ll kick you whenever the f--k I want.’”
Genuinely Psycho! He was used to getting away with things like that in college.

Boris

All Pro
Can't imagine he'd kick a college player. This probably has more to do with the guaranteed nature of his contract.
i imagine the opposite

the power a HC had over college players,
especially before the new rules
i can picture some Robby Benson "One On One" (1977) type stuff

w/a red hot poker

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Worst part about it is now the Texans will get stomped by a team with no HC.

FML

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
At least Shad Khan is somewhat cognizant of the negative impact of a shitty head coach on his franchise. Good for him.

Cal McNair is still working on that, and by "that" I mean comprehending the definition of cognizant.

Instead, we get another 'mulligan' season in 2022 of the Culley follies with a treading water "placeholder" and the ever persistent promise that "the rebuild starts next year".

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
At least Shad Khan is somewhat cognizant of the negative impact of a shitty head coach on his franchise. Good for him.

Cal McNair is still working on that, and by "that" I mean comprehending the definition of cognizant.

Instead, we get another 'mulligan' season in 2022 of the Culley follies with a treading water "placeholder" and the ever persistent promise that "the rebuild starts next year".
Every new HC this season & previous have made follies. Nothing prepares you for the job.

The key is to see how long it takes him to get away from hurting his team. Many, even the GOAT make decisions (in & out of games) that doesn’t make sense.

Culley has done nothing this season to even be on the hot seat

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Every new HC this season & previous have made follies. Nothing prepares you for the job.

The key is to see how long it takes him to get away from hurting his team. Many, even the GOAT make decisions (in & out of games) that doesn’t make sense.

just don’t understand how some people don’t understand that.

Only on TT can 1 of the worst owners in sports be lauded for firing a terrible HC he hired less than a year ago.

Folks in such a hurry to criticize the 3 C’s (Cal, Culley & Caserio) they’re losing perspective.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

You could have just stopped with "Culley has done nothing this season".

I never said anything about a hot seat. That would indicate that the owner expects something more than a two win season from this coach.

And hard to take you seriously when you say 'Nothing prepares you for the job.' I'd say being higher up the coaching ladder than a position coach for three+ decades could be a good place to start.

just don’t understand how some people don’t understand that.

Only on TT can 1 of the worst owners in sports be lauded for firing a terrible HC he hired less than a year ago.

Folks in such a hurry to criticize the 3 C’s (Cal, Culley & Caserio) they’re losing perspective.
By all means, praise the wonderful accomplishments of the "3 C's". I look forward to your gushing analysis. This place needs more sunshine.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club

Dude your bar is a little high!

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Dude your bar is a little high!
Apparently it's wrong of me to even have a bar. :rake:

That's alright, tho'. Even the most optimistic Texans fans will have to deal with reality at some point.

That we are trying to make ourselves feel better because a crappy franchise like the Jags is doing worse says it all. Welcome to Detroit, TX.