Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jags fan with a Question

is double D ya'lls long term answer at runningback?
I think for the 1st half his YPC was under 2 and a half.\
he made the colts defense look like....well.....a defense.
What's going to happen?

an an unrelated note, DAM! peyton looked like he had a vendetta against you guys, passing the whole time like that.

personally, till we get consistent on the o-line.. it may be hard to decide if DD is the future or not? The way it was played today - no many holes really to run through.

I don't consider Davis too talented. He is a nice 3rd down back but not much more. He has over 130 rushes this year with a long run of 11 yards.

Actually he has 152 rushes with a long run of 12 yards. Davis isn't overpowering, he isn't real fast, and he is no threat for a big play. He isn't a NFL quality feature back; he's just the best we have for now.

well when you think about davis the one quality he brings to the table is his ability to cut back and change direction quickly...in which the zone blocking scheme should make him flourish...he has done everything but flourish with this scheme...and yes vinny is right on him i believe...he doesn't do one thing that really stands out...he's not a powerback, a speedback, or just a solid back...he's like curtis martin without the ability to continue the play...i think we have a lot of needs that we didn't see before this season...help on o-line, d-line, runningback, after this season another reciever, and unless glenn earl really comes into his own a starting SS

Davis is good...but like what Vinny said, I agree that he is a 3rd down back. I'd like to see us possibly pursue Derick Blaylock, or draft a runningback in this offseason.

kevinjagsfan said:
What's going to happen?

an an unrelated note, DAM! peyton looked like he had a vendetta against you guys, passing the whole time like that.
No, Davis is not the answer. He will be a great 3rd down back (like Vinny said) and I think will be a great PR/KR (the reason we drafted him). I am hoping that we pick up Ronnie Brown in the draft.

TEXANS84 said:
Davis is good...but like what Vinny said, I agree that he is a 3rd down back. I'd like to see us possibly pursue Derick Blaylock, or draft a runningback in this offseason.

I don't know if any NFL RB's want to ruin their careers behind our O-line. Best bet is to draft a RB who has no clue what he is in for. If we do draft a rookie RB, let's all say a prayer for him.

Oilers/Texans said:
I like Davis. He is a threat running and as a receiver in the passing game.
I was hoping someone was going to say that. Ronnie Brown has great hands. Caught 8 passes against the Bulldogs and a TD on a post route. Brown also has the speed to destroy teams when he gets into the open field and will really be a threat when he catches the dump offs from Carr...

Also on Ronnie Brown, he is probably going to be one of the top backs drafted. Hopefully, the Texans won't be drafting anywhere near the top of the draft.

The first back taken last year was Steven Jackson @ pick 24 overall. In 2003 it was McGahee at the 24th overall pick. Early picks usually go to more durable positions. No way Brown goes too early for us to pick him in the first...but I doubt we take a back with the first pick. He may slide to the second round. A ton of solid backs do.

Oilers/Texans said:
Also on Ronnie Brown, he is probably going to be one of the top backs drafted. Hopefully, the Texans won't be drafting anywhere near the top of the draft.
Backs arent taken high anymore though. The 1st back taken last year was Steven Jackson, who a lot of people thought was a Top 10 pick, but Jackson fell to around #25. So Brown, Cadillac, and Benson can fall and I wont be surprised...

And if the Texans play the rest of the year like they have the past two weeks, we will be picking really high...

That's true about last year's draft. It just all depends on who's picking and what their need is at that time I guess. Anyway, it is way too early to talk about the draft. There is still a bunch of football left.

I bothered to take note of Davis on the carries that he got to the 2nd level (only a handfull) and he did not make anyone on a below average defense miss or break tackles. He got what has there and no more.

His performance is reminding me of Billy miller in the first year and half. He is the best that he have so it is easy to get fooled that he is better than he really is.

152 total yards today. Not bad for a 3rd down back, even though most of it was after it didn't matter.

Dom had 31 Carries for 98 yards. He had 7 receptions for the other 54. He did bust out with his season long run of 12 yards though. On 152 attempts.

aj. said:
152 total yards today. Not bad for a 3rd down back.

38 touches equals exactly 4 yards a touch...and we have not got into the concept of gargabe time yards and TDs.

Vinny said:
He did bust out with his season long run of 12 yards though. On 152 attempts.

Do we have anyone who could do better? Carr has the longest run of the season, maybe we should run him more often. At least when Carr runs he doesn't have to rely on the O-line.

Apparently not, but I was answering the question to the original post as to my general responses in this thread. My answer was 'no' if you read the posts. I did say he was the best we have in post number 5.
kevinjagsfan said:
What's going to happen?

i think we all agree that if davis is not going to be our featured back that he would at least make a good 3rd down back. my question is why is wells(who is not a third down type back) coming in on 3rd downs in passing situations. if they want to give him pt they need to do it on first or second down. davis should be in there on 3rd down.

personally i think he has the talent to be a everydown back. if he can stay healthy. but i couldnt believe i saw wells coming out of the backfield on 3rd and long droping a pass. i thought maybe davis was injured or getting a break but i saw wells in again on another 3rd and long on a diff series. i did not watch the whole game so it might of happened other times as well.

The Texans are missing one thing to truly have "triplets" -- a feature back.

In rushing for 1,031 yards last season as a rookie, Domanick Davis, a fourth-round pick, exceeded expectations. But Davis, who is only 5 feet 9 inches tall and 221 pounds, has missed all or part of four games this season with injuries. He has lost a team-high four fumbles, two in each of the first two games, and has rushed for only 360 yards, though he has scored five touchdowns.

Davis has yet to convince the Texans he is the back to carry them into the future, which is why Buffalo's Travis Henry or Texas' Cedric Benson could become an off-season target for Houston.

"He had a good rookie year, but he hasn't had quite the statistics this year," Casserly said of Davis. "He's done better lately, so we'll see."
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/10180732.htm

aj. said:
152 total yards today. Not bad for a 3rd down back, even though most of it was after it didn't matter.

Stats picked up in garbage time mean nothing to me. As far as I'm concerned DD and the offensive line got about 28 yards today regardless of what the final stats box shows.

The running game isn't just a problem or "something we need to get a handle on" as Dom would put it. It's THE problem. Without it we're looking at 2002 version 2.0 and Carr is going to be beaten senseless for the third time in three years.

Another year of that level of abuse (which today was delivered by the "dreaded" Indianapolis Colts Defense no less) and Carr's going to be another first round QB who didn't pan out. Not because of a lack of talent or inability to take coaching but because he's going to be too gun shy to be effective. When runningbacks develop a fumble problem defenses work to leverage that. When quarterbacks get happy feet and lose their focus because of a few sacks then the defense is goingg to work to leverage that.

If Carr gets popped like he did today for the rest of the season and averages 5 sacks a game the rest of the way out then you can bet the first page of everyones "VS TEXANS" book is going to read "pin ears back and deck Carr, the rest will take care of itself".

And it will.

I still think it's the Oline's fault. I think DD is a pretty good game today. There were some plays today where he looked like last year's DD. It's all about getting past that D-line. Look at the film! Once he gets past that level, then he can move and shift against linebackers in the open field. You saw a couple of that today, though that might be because they were playing soft on us given that they were beating the stuffing out of us. The Oline needs to get him past that defensive front first, and then he can move, juke, and break tackles against linebackers. For the most part this season, he's been getting stuffed right where those lineman are, and that's the Oline's fault.

That Indy Dline got penetration on us like we were the biggest slut on the Las Vegas Strip! Plain and simple.

Fiddy said:
Backs arent taken high anymore though. The 1st back taken last year was Steven Jackson, who a lot of people thought was a Top 10 pick, but Jackson fell to around #25. So Brown, Cadillac, and Benson can fall and I wont be surprised...

We'll draft in the middle, probably a little lower than last year, around 15 if I had to guess. I think between Brown, Caddy, and Benson, one will be left when we draft in the second round. And we should take him there.

phan1 said:
I still think it's the Oline's fault. I think DD is a pretty good game today.
Just thought of this and I may be wrong, but I dont think it is the O-lines problem. I think it is Davis and his ability to cut so many times. If you watch Jamal Lewis and Rebuen Droughns (whose teams run zone blocking) they make one cut and get up the field. Davis tries to dance and find the right hold instead of making the one cut and heading up the field.

Davis averaged 3 yards per carry, and he got a majority of his carries when the Colts were in prevent. I dont consider that a good day...

Davis ain't bad. He might not be the long term answer, but we have enough weaknesses that need to be adressed in this draft that we definately don't need to waste a pick on a RB. If, after next year, we still feel the running game is weak, then worry about it. I'm not gonna give up on a back that rushed for a thousand yards as a rookie behind a terrible o-line. Best bet for next year is too talk Ricky out of retirement and back to Texas.

On that note: Benson is the best back in the draft. Look at his numbers. He does that with entire defenses knowing he's getting the ball and not even thinking about defending the pass. Also, he has improved every season. Also, he plays for a coach who manages to limit the abilities of his players (ex. Roy Williams, Shaun Rogers, Chris Simms...). Great players in college, but better pro's.

Best bet for next year is too talk Ricky out of retirement and back to Texas.
Yeah, he'd fit right in up in Arlington. Ganja Williams is still the property of Miami so he needs to settle with them and serve all his suspensions before he can come back and screw up some other team - like Oakland or Arlington.

aj. said:
Yeah, he'd fit right in up in Arlington. Ganja Williams is still the property of Miami so he needs to settle with them and serve all his suspensions before he can come back and screw up some other team - like Oakland or Arlington.

Please give me my five Cowboyless years, without rushing it please. They are the Irving Cowboys. :whistle:

wow just realized, I am scheduled to be in Arlington five years so by the time that boondoogle, i mean stadium, is complete I may have left. :hmmm:

Fiddy said:
Just thought of this and I may be wrong, but I dont think it is the O-lines problem. I think it is Davis and his ability to cut so many times. If you watch Jamal Lewis and Rebuen Droughns (whose teams run zone blocking) they make one cut and get up the field. Davis tries to dance and find the right hold instead of making the one cut and heading up the field.

Davis averaged 3 yards per carry, and he got a majority of his carries when the Colts were in prevent. I dont consider that a good day...

No, it wasn't a good day, but I do think the sorry performance is more on the line than on Davis. This line let Carr and Davis get killed yesterday. Even with a fullback lead-blocking, this team couldn't pry open a hole at the line on 3rd-and-short. That is pathetic.

I'm prepared to give DD the rest of the year as a starter to see if he continues to improve. If he doesn't, then let's go after someone else. Right now, we don't have anyone else as a RB who should be a starter over Davis.

Fiddy said:

Major problem with your theory that Davis is dancing trying to find the right hole--it assumes that there is not just one, but multiple holes. That just wasn't the case last weekend. The OL was miserable just like last year in Jax when Hollings looked so bad to some people. Davis was "dancing" because the only thing he could see was the backs of his OL huddled together in fear of the mighty front seven of the Colts.

infantrycak said:
Major problem with your theory that Davis is dancing trying to find the right hole--it assumes that there is not just one, but multiple holes. That just wasn't the case last weekend. The OL was miserable just like last year in Jax when Hollings looked so bad to some people. Davis was "dancing" because the only thing he could see was the backs of his OL huddled together in fear of the mighty front seven of the Colts.
Yeah, I agree that there was no holes against the Colts but what about the other games this season??? The run blocking hasnt been that bad the entire year. Against the Raiders, Wells put up 100 yards because he made one cut and got up the field. He danced very little and was very productive that game. :twocents:

Fiddy said:
Yeah, I agree that there was no holes against the Colts but what about the other games this season??? The run blocking hasnt been that bad the entire year. Against the Raiders, Wells put up 100 yards because he made one cut and got up the field. He danced very little and was very productive that game. :twocents:

I would even argue that was what Davis did very well last year was see the one hole and accelerated through it. The i have ssen more of this the last couple of games, but not to the level which had many excited about DomDavis last year.

Fiddy said:

IMO, the Raiders game was more of the aberration this year than the Colts game as far as run blocking by the OL. Vinny or someone that understands the zone blocking scheme can correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it one of two things is supposed to happen on most plays, either a hole will develop along the run side of the formation with a double team and one of the double team members will release into the second level or the back side of the play will get sealed off to let the RB cut and run counter to the flow. Instead what we are consistantly seeing is (1) no hole with defenders coming around the edges, (2) a hole with no one picking up the LB or safety coming up to fill the hole because the double team either isn't forming or isn't releasing to the second level or (3) an attempted cut to the back side that is snuffed because the back side is not being sealed off.

I am not saying that DD is a pro-bowler or that they shouldn't consider drafting a RB, but IMO the far bigger failure right now is the OL. Hopefully this is all just an issue of people in new positions and gelling rather than personnel.

Back