Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jags considering Bill O'Brien

Oh please let this be true, it'll be a 3 team division for years afterwards.
Which 3 teams?

Look, I'm no fan of O'Brien. At all. But, where is the confidence coming from that the guys the Texans currently have will turn this into a winning organization?

O'Brien pwned the Jags. So I get their interest. Someone just needs to talk some sense to the owner. A little bit of arsenic can be beneficial. But, enough will eventually kill you.

Which 3 teams?

Look, I'm no fan of O'Brien. At all. But, where is the confidence coming from that the guys the Texans currently have will turn this into a winning organization?

O'Brien pwned the Jags. So I get their interest. Someone just needs to talk some sense to the owner. A little bit of arsenic can be beneficial. But, enough will eventually kill you.

Considering what they've had to work with I don't think the current group has done to bad though yes the jury is still out. At the end of the day though if a fan doesn't believe that the team they are cheering for will turn it around then why waste their time? Call me a "Homer" or a "Kool aid sipper" if you want but I would rather be optimistic when the jury is still out rather than say its all for nothing.

And its not like the rest of the AFCS has set the world on fire. Titans get hot for a streak, go no where with it and then just are there for a couple of more years till their next streak. Colts are still living in the Peyton Manning era and even when they drafted Manning's replacement they let him get beat up so badly he chose to retire early rather than go back out to be a crash dummy. Meanwhile the Jags have had 10 losing seasons in the last 11 years, draft the "greatest college QB" and still end up with the number one draft the next year and, oh yeah, having to hunt for a new HC again.

In comparison to the rest of the division Texans actually have done really well.

All joking aside though it would be a terrible hire for the Jags as OB has shown he can't develop a young QB, not even talking about Watson more looking at Savage, and he has an explosive temper which is just what the Jags got away from. Though he does seem to spend less time in bars feeling up young women that aren't his wife than Meyer did so he has that going for him.

O'Brien was certainly an incompetent GM but that's not the case at all for his performance as an NFL HC, so I can see the Jags interest but still surprised by this rumor if true.
But O'Briens promotion to the Texans GM position and subsequent unquestioned failure was a classic example of the "Perter Principle, and can't think of a better example in the world of Sports world or anyplace for that mater?

O'Brien was certainly an incompetent GM but that's not the case at all for his performance as an NFL HC, so I can see the Jags interest but still surprised by this rumor if true.
But O'Briens promotion to the Texans GM position and subsequent unquestioned failure was a classic example of the "Perter Principle, and can't think of a better example in the world of Sports world or anyplace for that mater?

OB’s performance as a HC was bad when you dissect the numbers. The W/L doesn’t look bad, but when you see he could only beat teams in the AFC South and teams with a losing record that shows his record was terrible. Especially when the AFC South was/is one of the worst. He couldn’t beat winning teams.

You look at his performance in the playoffs and he sucked. He almost lost to the Raiders with a back up QB. Watson and Watt had amazing games against the Bills. Ok. You can have that one. But then there was his ineptitude at 51-7. He was lost during that game.

And his play calling? And his search for the “right QB” who understood his complex offense of running it up the middle for little to no gain?

OB sucked as a head coach. He should have been fired with Rick Smith.

OB’s performance as a HC was bad when you dissect the numbers. The W/L doesn’t look bad, but when you see he could only beat teams in the AFC South and teams with a losing record that shows his record was terrible. Especially when the AFC South was/is one of the worst. He couldn’t beat winning teams.

You look at his performance in the playoffs and he sucked. He almost lost to the Raiders with a back up QB. Watson and Watt had amazing games against the Bills. Ok. You can have that one. But then there was his ineptitude at 51-7. He was lost during that game.

And his play calling? And his search for the “right QB” who understood his complex offense of running it up the middle for little to no gain?

I did not say he was Knute Rockne, just suggested unlike during his brief tour as a GM, he was not a failure all things considered.

On top of that, he was a bad talent evaluator that didn’t know how to take advantage of the strengths of the talent he had, thus not putting them better situations to succeed. He was the definition of pound the square peg into the round hole.

Hell, this dude changed QBs in the 1st game of the season… TWICE!

He certainly wasn’t as bad a HC as he was a GM, but even calling him average is being way generous IMHO.

I get the Texans are a dysfunctional team no question but the same can be said for almost every team in the NFL. Still think that OB going to Jacksonville helps us. :beer:

I believe the dysfunction has left Kirby and now it's just a matter of rebuilding the team. There's a clear chain of command when it comes to who's running the football side of the operation.

Anybody who thinks differently is most likely a hater of all things Foxboro. Because according to Cal, Caserio is running the football operations side of things and I've seen nothing so far since Caserio was hired that makes me think that Cal wasn't telling the truth.

He was a solid HC. Not great and not terrible. He had a QB that didn't mesh with what he wanted to do. But that QB still had a career yr last yr.

Agreed with the last sentence in your post.

On top of that, he was a bad talent evaluator that didn’t know how to take advantage of the strengths of the talent he had, thus not putting them better situations to succeed. He was the definition of pound the square peg into the round hole.

Hell, this dude changed QBs in the 1st game of the season… TWICE!

He certainly wasn’t as bad a HC as he was a GM, but even calling him average is being way generous IMHO.

He did the right thing changing QB's, he tried to keep Derrick from getting injured behind that porous OL in his rookie yr. He failed.

Lack of talent was the biggest issue and still is. Even though my biggest issue with BOB was his inability to develop draft picks like Greenard/Blacklock and the young OL. It's why I wouldn't hire BOB to be the HC of a young team like the Jags.

There was nothing solid about his coaching. He was terrible.

Culley has outdone him with less talent.

Gotta disagree with you on this one.

The talent was never there to be a true contender. There was to mmuch dysfunction in the Texans org for them to ever be a contender. (I do believe BOB contributed to this also.) Fact is BOB took that team as far as the talent would take them. BOB didn't lift the team up to a higher standard or take them down to a lower standard. That's my definition of an avg HC.

Gotta disagree with you on this one.

The talent was never there to be a true contender. There was to mmuch dysfunction in the Texans org for them to ever be a contender. (I do believe BOB contributed to this also.) Fact is BOB took that team as far as the talent would take them. BOB didn't lift the team up to a higher standard or take them down to a lower standard. That's my definition of an avg HC.

Then we shall agree to disagree.

To me the fact of the matter is OB did not show the ability to create a game plan to play to the strengths of the players. It was always square peg in round hole. And then his record outside of the AFC South was just abysmal. That makes him below average in my definition.

Hey, let’s not leave out 30-0 KC :splits:

Because I'm going to outlast Caserio, Culley, and Easterby.

Bingo. :thumbup

I just laugh at the "fan litmus test" that uber-fans try to judge others with. But whatever. It's not like I've enabled opinions to matter much to me these days. It's all just entertainment.

As far as O'Brien, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another shot and uses what he's learned with the Texans to be a better HC. Some of y'all are letting your emotions cloud your analysis.

Bingo. :thumbup

I just laugh at the "fan litmus test" that uber-fans try to judge others with. But whatever. It's not like I've enabled opinions to matter much to me these days. It's all just entertainment.

As far as O'Brien, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another shot and uses what he's learned with the Texans to be a better HC. Some of y'all are letting your emotions cloud your analysis.

Bill O Brien will have the same success as Adam Gase when he gets his second chance.

Some of y'all are letting your emotions cloud your analysis.

Everyone on this board gets triggered on 1 topic or another depending on what it is. words & phrases like “AFC South Champions Brian”, “DW4 is/isn’t a franchise qb” “alignment” and in your particular case “Jack Easterby” tend to bring out the worst in otherwise solid & tame posters. & those of us who are on the other side of the convo or are indifferent to it Can tell…so let’s just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Everyone on this board gets triggered on 1 topic or another depending on what it is. words & phrases like “AFC South Champions Brian”, “DW4 is a franchise qb” “alignment” and in your particular case “Jack Easterby” tend to bring out the worst in otherwise solid & tame posters. & those of uswho are on the other side of the convo or are indifferent to it. Can tell…so let’s just leave it at that.

Ain’t that the truth.

I have a horrible feeling that he would be really successful on the Jags, similar to Vrabel doing well for the Titans despite his year as DC being unimpressive for the Texans.

One thing OB does well is play the percentages, it isn’t good to watch him turtle up every time he gets a lead, or beat every sub .500 team he plays by a field goal, but I think with a QB of Lawrence’s potential and a strong GM he will get results as a coach.

Reactions: JB
I have a horrible feeling that he would be really successful on the Jags, similar to Vrabel doing well for the Titans despite his year as DC being unimpressive for the Texans.

One thing OB does well is play the percentages, it isn’t good to watch him turtle up every time he gets a lead, or beat every sub .500 team he plays by a field goal, but I think with a QB of Lawrence’s potential and a strong GM he will get results as a coach.

The Jags have a weak GM that ran off Jim Harbaugh.

At the end of the day... the Titans are still the Titans and the Jags are still the Jags.

IF we rebuild a legit contender I'm not concerned about either team beyond the "any given Sunday" never underestimating your opponent.

If we rebuild a pretender we will be on par with the rest of our division. I know the Titans are at the top, but Im not convinced they do anything... could be wishful thinking but.... I think they get their bye then make their exit.

Yes there is always that chance that OB learns, grows and becomes a better coach, but OB is OB and I don't believe his ego allows for any substantial growth that would be needed to make him a perennial threat.

Back