Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is Deshaun Watson Russell Wilson 2.0?

True the routes were terrible for the most part, but he usually had a check down open that he passed up wanting more
Well frankly I’m kinda glad he’s looking for more and not turning into Mr. Check Down. Not saying that I’d rather see a sack than a check down, but I always want him looking to make a big play. And some rollouts wouldn’t hurt in helping eliminate some sacks either.

Well frankly I’m kinda glad he’s looking for more and not turning into Mr. Check Down. Not saying that I’d rather see a sack than a check down, but I always want him looking to make a big play. And some rollouts wouldn’t hurt in helping eliminate some sacks either.

Exactly. Big plays are good. See KC. O'Brien is beating them out of him.

Since this season is expected to be absolute sh1t for us, I would love to see Watson work on his short and intermediate passing game for the majority of the season. Work on first downing opponents to death. I know it sounds crazy/stupid, but he should use a season to work on being a more well rounded QB. We know he’s damn near magical outside the pocket, but with our offensive line being such a mess, the last thing I’d want is for him to go down with another season ending injury. Especially with those long developing routes his delusional HC calls, as if he had this All-World O-line.

Lol me too but we know Watson likes the homerun passes. I believe if he wants to stay upright, the dink and donk game is the way to go.

Since this season is expected to be absolute sh1t for us, I would love to see Watson work on his short and intermediate passing game for the majority of the season. Work on first downing opponents to death. I know it sounds crazy/stupid, but he should use a season to work on being a more well rounded QB. We know he’s damn near magical outside the pocket, but with our offensive line being such a mess, the last thing I’d want is for him to go down with another season ending injury. Especially with those long developing routes his delusional HC calls, as if he had this All-World O-line.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/qb-grid/houston-texans/2018/week

passer-rating-vs-league-avg_WAT338355_2018-reg-all_1545936240722.jpeg

I think Deshaun needs to keep the timing of plays at the forefront of his progressions, throwing away the ball instead of taking a sack looking for the big play comes with experience. Im not too concerned with his ball location, velocity, lift, angle or any or that other stuff. He's shown he can make any throw, now its taking the offense and perfecting it. Main thing I would like to see is a more creative route tree. Im hoping all the bubble screen, LOS stuff is gone this year. More bunch formation, rubs, PICKS!! (yea I said it, every other team is using them, we should too- they cant call all of them!), and to your point maybe some more compound intermediate route running? having two guys streaking across formations?

Offensive line has been pathetic two years in a row and Watson has still flourished. If he can limit the coverage sacks and bad throws he could be a very special player, AND THATS ALL BEFORE YOU START TALKING ABOUT HIS LEGS!

Us old coots can now stop complaining about QB for a few years and ***** and complain about other stuff .. Me? Clowney and the offensive line debacle. Whoop! Whoop!

I think Watson took a lot of sacks to prevent throwing interceptions, which led to us winning more games. How many picks did he throw this last year? Not a lot?

I figure with all the heat that Watson has taken for "not calling an audible", or "not changing things at the line of scrimmage", here's the (color me shocked) actuality.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/05/deshaun-watson-has-more-on-his-plate-this-year/
Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson said recently that he’s learned the importance of “keeping plays alive” by watching video of Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, but there may be other things he can glean from the way Rodgers has played the game.

Rodgers is expected to have less freedom to make changes at the line of scrimmage under new coach Matt LaFleur, but he’s spent the last few years making reads and altering calls before the snap. Watson has not had that freedom in his first two seasons, but told Albert Breer of SI.com that the Texans are putting more on his shoulders this time around.

“I can just have a lot more information on my plate, whenever I need it,” Watson said. “The past couple years, it was more calling the plays. Or they’d give me two plays, for different looks. Now I can have five, six different plays in my head, and make sure we get in the right one. Biggest focus is really just taking that leadership role as a quarterback, and mastering my craft with my knowledge of the offense, knowledge of the defense and being able to get us in the right plays.”

Id agree with this... PROVIDED they can protect him.

IF they dont protect him, I feel that he will pick up too many bad habits to ever live up to that potential.

This could also happen.

Look at Carr as a prime example, it's like the Texans didn't learn a damn thing from ruining Carr by not protecting him.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/qb-grid/houston-texans/2018/week

passer-rating-vs-league-avg_WAT338355_2018-reg-all_1545936240722.jpeg

I think Deshaun needs to keep the timing of plays at the forefront of his progressions, throwing away the ball instead of taking a sack looking for the big play comes with experience. Im not too concerned with his ball location, velocity, lift, angle or any or that other stuff. He's shown he can make any throw, now its taking the offense and perfecting it. Main thing I would like to see is a more creative route tree. Im hoping all the bubble screen, LOS stuff is gone this year. More bunch formation, rubs, PICKS!! (yea I said it, every other team is using them, we should too- they cant call all of them!), and to your point maybe some more compound intermediate route running? having two guys streaking across formations?

Offensive line has been pathetic two years in a row and Watson has still flourished. If he can limit the coverage sacks and bad throws he could be a very special player, AND THATS ALL BEFORE YOU START TALKING ABOUT HIS LEGS!

Us old coots can now stop complaining about QB for a few years and ***** and complain about other stuff .. Me? Clowney and the offensive line debacle. Whoop! Whoop!

Watson will be better now that he has WFV/Coutee back and has had a full HEALTHY offseason to work on his craft. This is with an OL that will probably still suck.

I remember in 2017. A lot of fans were mad about trading our picka to get him. They said “he isn’t accurate enough and he has a weak arm”. Fast forward to this day and he’s one of the most accurate deep ball throwers. They call him the Mj of football for a reason. I’m glad baker and kyler are getting all the hyped. Takes pressure off our qb and makes him more hungry.
I'm sorry but your eyeball test isn't working. :ahhaha:
https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com...ad-the-most-success-with-long-throws-in-2018/

"...
Who has had the biggest payoff the most often?
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger leads the NFL with 10 touchdown passes on deep throws, one more than Wilson and Drew Brees.

Brees has yet to throw an interception on one of these pass attempts. Roethlisberger has two. Wilson has one.

On the opposite side of the ledger, Deshaun Watson leads the NFL with five interceptions on those passes. Six quarterbacks have four, including Mahomes.

In all, quarterbacks have 150 touchdown passes and 89 interceptions on these passes, which averages to 4.7 and 2.8 per team respectively.
..."

https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com...ad-the-most-success-with-long-throws-in-2018/

"...
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger leads the NFL with 10 touchdown passes on deep throws, one more than Wilson and Drew Brees.

Brees has yet to throw an interception on one of these pass attempts. Roethlisberger has two. Wilson has one.

On the opposite side of the ledger, Deshaun Watson leads the NFL with five interceptions on those passes. Six quarterbacks have four, including Mahomes.

In all, quarterbacks have 150 touchdown passes and 89 interceptions on these passes, which averages to 4.7 and 2.8 per team respectively.
..."

yeah i can think of 3 of 5 of those deep ball picks off the top of my head from the 1st 3 games of last year. He was just trying to force it alot early in the season.

"...

..."

I never said he was the best. He has made some mistakes but I can’t act like it was all on him. O’Brien might be one of the worst coaches in the nfl. The fact Brady and now Deshaun has made him look decent is amazing but yeah Deshaun is one of the best deep throwers. I actually watched the games. Stats never tell the full story

I remember in 2017. A lot of fans were mad about trading our picka to get him. They said “he isn’t accurate enough and he has a weak arm”. Fast forward to this day and he’s one of the most accurate deep ball throwers. They call him the Mj of football for a reason. I’m glad baker and kyler are getting all the hyped. Takes pressure off our qb and makes him more hungry.

They call him the MJ of football? Who? What planet you living on?

"...

..."
Meh. Lies, damn lies and statistics, etc. End of the half chucks, and losing your burner in Fuller will do that to the deep ball.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#completion-percentage

#8 Deshaun Watson @ 68.3% (Roethlisberger is #13, Wilson is #20, Brees is #1)
#23 in interceptions (Roethlisberger is #1, Wilson is #30, Brees is #25)
#5 in Completed air yards (Roethlisberger is #35, Wilson is #3, Brees is #18)

I'm not sure I understand the other guy's stats either:

NFL Leaders – Points Earned on Deep Passes

Pts Comp-Att, TD, INT
1. Russell Wilson 29.5 23-of-47, 9 TD, 1 INT
2. Aaron Rodgers 25.8 22-of-61, 6 TD, 0 INT
3. Drew Brees 23.5 22-of-37, 9 TD, 0 INT
4. Patrick Mahomes 23.4 27-of-62, 8 TD, 4 INT
5. Philip Rivers 22.5 18-of-41, 7 TD, 1 INT
Notice a problem?

Lol the fact you didn’t know that speaks volumes of your football intelligence. Maybe you should pay attention to the game instead of blabbering.

The fact that you believe the word of one coach, no matter how good, speaking about a rookie he wants to see drafted high, because that makes his stock as a coach go up, before that rookie has really been tested speaks volumes to your naivety.

Last edited:
Can't be the Jordan of football until you've won multiple championships.

Until then its just an athletic comparison no different than what people said about Vick.

I can agree with this...although Jordan clearly announced he had "next" when dropped that 60 on Boston's head in the playoffs in 85 i believe. I feel like DW4 did that his rookie year in that 7 games of brilliance. Otherwise, i agree with you though.

Back