Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

If Watson leaves, why keep Kelly?

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Except Watson had his best season without Hopkins. If OB's plan was to trade Hopkins to force Watson to spread the pass around and not let defenses know just who he would throw to 9 out of 10 times, well, hate to say it but it worked.
Yes but he was forced to have a great season. He had no running game ! Hyde had 1100 yds, Duke and Watson each over 400 yds, Hop had 1200 yds rec, …. 11 wins …. 3 or 4 other 400+ yd receivers No wonder Watson is POed !

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
This organization guaranteed him over $110 million just a few months ago. Why sign the contract if he's not going to bother honoring it?

He wants to have his cake and eat it, too.

Dude is a great QB. 2nd best this city has ever seen. But, now he's acting like like a little ***** by doing a 180° just months after getting his money.

Easterby and Cal were here when he signed the contract.

DIVA: "a self-important person who is temperamental and difficult to please"

p.s. Texans suck, too.

What's even more annoying to me is that he doesn't want the Texans to come away with any compensation either .... I don't want to go to a team that's crippled to acquire me.

Well hell , you forget that you leaving this team costs them an instant $27m cap hit that the team you go to continues to benefit from for the duration of your contract , not to mention losing a good player at the hardest position in all of professional sports to fill .... yeah , we'll take a 7th round pick for you and call it even buddy.

The more I think about it , the more I want Caserio to draw a hard line in the sand .... I'm not trading you , show up and earn your contract or retire.

If he plays jackass and tries to show up in week 10 just to accrue a season , I suspend him for the max 6 games for conduct detrimental to the team and he doesn't gain that season towards his contract.

Or you can immediately and completely waive your NTC and we'll extract the best deal for us and you can move on.

Aint no sweet in between in this thing. Texans owe this knucklehead no favors.

Texian

Hall of Fame
What's even more annoying to me is that he doesn't want the Texans to come away with any compensation either .... I don't want to go to a team that's crippled to acquire me.

Well hell , you forget that you leaving this team costs them an instant $27m cap hit that the team you go to continues to benefit from for the duration of your contract , not to mention losing a good player at the hardest position in all of professional sports to fill .... yeah , we'll take a 7th round pick for you and call it even buddy.

The more I think about it , the more I want Caserio to draw a hard line in the sand .... I'm not trading you , show up and earn your contract or retire.

If he plays jackass and tries to show up in week 10 just to accrue a season , I suspend him for the max 6 games for conduct detrimental to the team and he doesn't gain that season towards his contract.

Or you can immediately and completely waive your NTC and we'll extract the best deal for us and you can move on.

Aint no sweet in between in this thing. Texans owe this knucklehead no favors.
I'm of the opinion that if DW4 really wants to be traded, he needs to write the Texans a check for $27 million. Trade talks will not begin until then.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes but he was forced to have a great season. He had no running game ! Hyde had 1100 yds, Duke and Watson each over 400 yds, Hop had 1200 yds rec, …. 11 wins …. 3 or 4 other 400+ yd receivers No wonder Watson is POed !
He wasn't forced to do anything. Once BOB was fired he and Kelly had a mutual partnership that benefited DW4 and while those are nice shiny stats. They're mostly empty stats. Whether some want to admit it or not Kelly did a great job under trying circumstances to help DW4 become a better QB. BTW, the Hopkins trade also helped DW4 become a better QB because he had to learn to read defenses better.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If Watson is gone why pay Tunsil while we at it

Well .... do you want your shiny new QB protected or not ?

I'm not particularly fond of Tunsil's contract .... but I'd rather pay him to keep a rookie upright than run with some JAG and get that new QB beat up being cheap.

And lets not forget that his bonus money of $9,750,000 would immediately hit the cap so essentially they would be paying him to play elsewhere.
Hell , with the cap estimates being ~185m , there's not going to be a big market for Tunsil's contract either .... You might end up paying half his salary to play for someone else and that's still on your cap.
I wouldn't mind doing that if I was getting two #1's in return .... but OB isn't coaching in the NFL.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
And he was paid very well for his services. Look I get it if Watson wanted out no I wouldn't blame him but if he wanted out so badly then why sign the contract. Anyone with half a brain knew Texans were going to spend at least two years rebuilding and may not get it right even then. So none of this hit him on the blind side, besides wasn't it Watson that when taalking of trading players was going on he said nobody was getting traded? Seems to me that says he was pretty happy with the people on the team.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
And he was paid very well for his services. Look I get it if Watson wanted out no I wouldn't blame him but if he wanted out so badly then why sign the contract. Anyone with half a brain knew Texans were going to spend at least two years rebuilding and may not get it right even then. So none of this hit him on the blind side, besides wasn't it Watson that when talking of trading players was going on he said nobody was getting traded? Seems to me that says he was pretty happy with the people on the team.

I dunno , I remember a whole lot of people around here predicting this team would win 10+ games prior to the season .... I was one of the few who said it would be a down year.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I dunno , I remember a whole lot of people around here predicting this team would win 10+ games prior to the season .... I was one of the few who said it would be a down year.
Which season are you talking about? If it was this last one I don't know that anyone realistically expected us to do any better than we had in the past and if you mean the upcoming one think me and TK are the only ones that voted that way in the poll and I won't speak for him but mine was a complete joke.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Which season are you talking about? If it was this last one I don't know that anyone realistically expected us to do any better than we had in the past and if you mean the upcoming one think me and TK are the only ones that voted that way in the poll and I won't speak for him but mine was a complete joke.
I'm talking about this past season .... there was quite a bit of optimism prior to the start of the season. I can't think of anyone else who was in the 4 wins or fewer category .... maybe I'm just misremembering.

I took quite a bit of flack over stating how putrid I thought the defense would be mainly because of the loss of Reader inside and how that would affect the rest of the defense.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I'm talking about this past season .... there was quite a bit of optimism prior to the start of the season. I can't think of anyone else who was in the 4 wins or fewer category .... maybe I'm just misremembering.

I took quite a bit of flack over stating how putrid I thought the defense would be mainly because of the loss of Reader inside and how that would affect the rest of the defense.
I honestly don't remember what most people's opinions were. I remember thinking we would be somewhere in the 8-10 win range because I thought we would do better in division. I had hoped that a new defense with Weaver would help them not be so bad either. I'll be the first to admit to underestimating how badly losing Reader would hurt us but honestly looking back after some of the other contracts were done I'm not sure we could have afforded him. Also didn't expect Mercilus to be so bad and I'm wondering if after getting paid he stopped caring.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
His protection regressed terribly last year and they keep taking away his weapons .... whether he's making 100 cents or 100 million dollars, his situation here only moves one way .... especially considering the stellar array of coaches and front office characters they have hired .... yeah, he should be sitting on both hands to keep from clapping !

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
His protection regressed terribly last year and they keep taking away his weapons .... whether he's making 100 cents or 100 million dollars, his situation here only moves one way .... especially considering the stellar array of coaches and front office characters they have hired .... yeah, he should be sitting on both hands to keep from clapping !

Is there some clause in his contract that states the team has to do anything right .... Other than deliver the checks ?

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Is there some clause in his contract that states the team has to do anything right .... Other than deliver the checks ?

Reminds me of Kurt Russell leaving with a tear in his eye and Val Kilmer suddenly opening his eyes very wide when he sees his bare feet sticking out, uncovered. He recognizes the humor, and says "hmmm, that's funny." Funny, because I may have been the most vocal anti - fan of his selection. Now I'm the one against the establishment .... "funny" !

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The truth can be uncomfortable sometimes.
How's that truth holding up for Mahomes now that we watched him lay a turd on SB Sunday b/c his OL wasn't healthy? Mahomes, Watson and every NFL QB requires a healthy OL to enjoy the ultimate success. As I mentioned in another post.....I think Watson could've out performed Mahomes lame arse effort b/c he's been playing behind a shite-show of an OL his entire career. Mahomes finally gets a complete taste of what Watson's been going through and the wheels completely come off his wagon. Chiefs are entering cap hail without Mahomes new contract even being a factor for 2021, imagine what's going to happen in 2022.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
How's that truth holding up for Mahomes now that we watched him lay a turd on SB Sunday b/c his OL wasn't healthy? Mahomes, Watson and every NFL QB requires a healthy OL to enjoy the ultimate success. As I mentioned in another post.....I think Watson could've out performed Mahomes lame arse effort b/c he's been playing behind a shite-show of an OL his entire career. Mahomes finally gets a complete taste of what Watson's been going through and the wheels completely come off his wagon. Chiefs are entering cap hail without Mahomes new contract even being a factor for 2021, imagine what's going to happen in 2022.
I hope these pricey ass QBs price themselves out of a job. :)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm going to respond like a typical DW4 fan.

It was all because of coaching.

BTW, Mahomes had surgery on his toe today.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I saw a stat where Mahomes ran for over 400 yards while under pressure. In the words of @steelbtexan, "he was drifting right". All kidding aside, he still made some throws off of one leg, under pressure and it was all arm strength. He's a great QB, but a banged up OL will impact a great QB. It's a team game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Texansballer74

The Marine
And he was paid very well for his services. Look I get it if Watson wanted out no I wouldn't blame him but if he wanted out so badly then why sign the contract. Anyone with half a brain knew Texans were going to spend at least two years rebuilding and may not get it right even then. So none of this hit him on the blind side, besides wasn't it Watson that when taalking of trading players was going on he said nobody was getting traded? Seems to me that says he was pretty happy with the people on the team.

If we had a half decent defense, we would've made the playoffs. IMO. So these jokers wasn't far off and we wouldn't think this team was rebuilding.

Dude just needs to suck it up and go out there and earn that mega contract.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
If we had a half decent defense, we would've made the playoffs. IMO. So these jokers wasn't far off and we wouldn't think this team was rebuilding.

Dude just needs to suck it up and go out there and earn that mega contract.
Agreed, a defense that could have stopped a peewee football team would have at least put us in contention. I still think we would have been in at least a mini rebuild as the running game was so bad as well and there are the other big money contracts to deal with but maybe not the full rebuild we are staring down now.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
[B said:
"Texansballer74,[/B] post: 3142771, member: 56332"]
The defense prevented this team from winning 10 games.
[B said:
"maverick512000,[/B] post: 3142774, member: 56426"]
Agreed, a defense that could have stopped a peewee football team would have at least put us in contention. I still think we would have been in at least a mini rebuild as the running game was so bad as well and there are the other big money contracts to deal with but maybe not the full rebuild we are staring down now.

I agree with almost everything you two say .... We do need to improve at least half of our defense .... but without an offensive line and a running game .... especially without the escapism of Watson, they're not going to generate enough offense, for even a great defense to have any effect, the object of the game is to outscore your opponent !!!

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I agree with almost everything you two say .... We do need to improve at least half of our defense .... but without an offensive line and a running game .... especially without the escapism of Watson, they're not going to generate enough offense, for even a great defense to have any effect, the object of the game is to outscore your opponent !!!
I think the OL improves simply with the dismissal of Devlin. Interested to see if the regression we’ve seen the last few years stops and if guys like Scharping and Howard can actually be coached up. Hell, let’s get Tunsil to All Pro while we’re at it. Not saying there’s no room for improving the talent pool, but I believe coaching was a bigger issue there.

The defense OTOH, needs a lot. Maybe different coaching and scheme helps some up front, but I think an overall lack of talent is the main issue there.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I think the OL improves simply with the dismissal of Devlin. Interested to see if the regression we’ve seen the last few years stops and if guys like Scharping and Howard can actually be coached up. Hell, let’s get Tunsil to All Pro while we’re at it. Not saying there’s no room for improving the talent pool, but I believe coaching was a bigger issue there.

The defense OTOH, needs a lot. Maybe different coaching and scheme helps some up front, but I think an overall lack of talent is the main issue there.
Yeah nice to see Texan's finally improved at the most important offensive line position, the coach. I don't think this line will be the wall that Brady had or Dak his rookie year but I do think they can give Watson or whoever the QB is at least 3 seconds to throw the ball. Its very telling to me that Howard's first year he was looking really good and like a long term answer to the RT position and now he was as bad as the rest of the line. Same with Martin his first couple of years he was a solid second round pick, the more time a player spends with Devlin the worst they got.

Last edited:

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Yeah nice to see Texan's finally improved at the most important offensive line position, the coach. I don't think this line will be the wall that Brady had or Dak his rookie year but I do think they can give Watson or whoever the QB is at least 3 seconds to throw the ball. Its very telling to me that Howard's first year he was looking really good and like a long term answer to the RT position and now he was as bad as the rest of the line. Same with Martin his first couple of years he was a solid second round pick, the more time a player spends with Devlin the worst they got.

Yeah, they do seem to devolve each year under Devlin. I love talent .... I think we all do. When I watch our OLine, I hardly ever see a move .... by anyone, that I think, "Wow, he looked good on that play" ! I see it on other on other lines. Maybe it's the scheme we run .... probably means I'm a zone guy. But .... think of how inept KC's offense looked during the SB, and that was due to the absence of Eric Fisher. He, is a very talented lineman !

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I keep coming back to the Titans. Their defense was as bad as ours, but they still managed to win the division. Rams, Ravens, Seahawks, Steelers.... all defended the run about as well as we did.

I'm not saying it's not important to stop the run. In the Texans heyday, they were among the best. But... we thought we were going to be more of an offensive minded team. A half decent run game would have gone a lot further than a much improved run defense. jmo

Texansballer74

The Marine
I keep coming back to the Titans. Their defense was as bad as ours, but they still managed to win the division. Rams, Ravens, Seahawks, Steelers.... all defended the run about as well as we did.

I'm not saying it's not important to stop the run. In the Texans heyday, they were among the best. But... we thought we were going to be more of an offensive minded team. A half decent run game would have gone a lot further than a much improved run defense. jmo

Yes they were just as bad as ours but as you can see when they couldn’t run the ball, they were exactly like the Texans somewhat. Lol